• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is 1 unpopular opinion on Travel you have?

I do not camp. Roughing it for me is staying in a hotel that doesn't have room service.

Nature is fine, but I don't want to spend an an entire vacation at a national park. If there's no cruise ship to take me there or no theme park once I get there, I am not interested.

I love manufactured fun! That natural stuff is for the birds.

If I have to carry my own food, or cook my own food it is not a vacation. If I cannot afford to eat at restaurants I cannot afford to be on vacation.

Florida sucks. (Which I did not realize until I built a house there and lived there for 2 years)

Coed bathrooms are no big deal - seems like we would solve a lot of issues if the US would go this route.

It has some nice beaches. But other than that the interior is just awful. If Disney were not in Orlando, I would never even think to go there. To those that want to move to be near Disney, more power to you. But I think I'll just drive down a week or two a year and leave it at that. I get it though. People are tired of shoveling snow for their whole lives and California is way too expensive.

I think people sometimes forget why Walt was able to aquire SOOO much land for not a lot of money.

If I have to carry my own food, or cook my own food it is not a vacation. If I cannot afford to eat at restaurants I cannot afford to be on vacation.

Florida sucks. (Which I did not realize until I built a house there and lived there for 2 years)

Coed bathrooms are no big deal - seems like we would solve a lot of issues if the US would go this route.

Even where they have door locks and only one person can go in at a time, they have separate male and female restrooms. There was a huge line for the female one. After I got done in the male one I suggested they could use he male one. It had one toilet only, a sink, and a locking door. But all the women in line looked at me like I just told them to do a strip tease in public.

here in Ireland and UK cheap package holidays to the coast of Portugal, Spain, Spanish Islands and Canary Islands are sooooo popular, for all ages. The usual package is cheap charter flights and accommodation in a purpose built resort at the coast. Most times the resorts are at the edge or outside the town or village. Most places have food and drinks included and there is very little contact with the locals. Everyone just stays in the resort bars and restaurants. In alot of the resorts there is a large "ex pat " community of English speakers from UK and Ireland. They would be similar to the snowbirds who move to Florida. They run many of the bars and restaurants, serving food and drink from UK and Ireland.

For the 20 somethings its a 10 day beach holiday with the friends, out all night in bars and clubs, sleep all day at the pool and beach, repeat for 10 days.

For the families, its all day at the beach and pool, afternoons evenings in the bars and restaurants, then once the kids are in bed, late nights drinking at the apartment with other parents. Repeat for 10 days

This type of holiday has never appealed to me. When I tell people I have never been on a beach holiday they are amazed. I cant think of anything more boring. To fly to a different country but never interact with the locals and never leave the purpose built resort and eat the same food as you would at home and spent every night in a bar , drinking the same brands of alcohol as you would at home, and getting mad drunk every night and then sleeping off the hangover the next day by the pool is just so ugh to me.

But right now thousand of UK and Irish people are doing just that. And thats the highlight of their year. For me no way would you ever see me on that type of a holiday.

And I'm almost afraid to say it (ducking for cover!), but while WDW was nice, so many things there are complicated. I prefer Disneyland instead.

Here is my unpopular opinion.

Is riding a muni bus with Mickey on the side of it for 15 minutes really more immersive than walking 5 minutes across the street? I say no.

We just got back from our first WDW trip and I hate to admit it since we had a great time but I agree with these. DH told me her prefers DL since it take so long to get anywhere at WDW. I think we will be going to back DL sooner than WDW plus it is easier for us to get to

Last edited:
National Parks are BORING.
:laughing: I know they aren't for everyone but we love them and try and go to one every year. Last year when we got back from the Grand Canyon(our second trip...:thumbsup2) My sister and BIL were saying they were thinking about going and I was like "Nope, you guys would HATE it and be soo bored.":rotfl: I just knew they wouldn't enjoy it like we do.

Mine is I just don't understand why people would want to eat at the same restaurants they have at home. Whenever we go to a new place we avoid chains and try and eat local. We've had some amazing meals this way.

:laughing: I know they aren't for everyone but we love them and try and go to one every year. Last year when we got back from the Grand Canyon(our second trip...:thumbsup2) My sister and BIL were saying they were thinking about going and I was like "Nope, you guys would HATE it and be soo bored.":rotfl: I just knew they wouldn't enjoy it like we do.

Mine is I just don't understand why people would want to eat at the same restaurants they have at home. Whenever we go to a new place we avoid chains and try and eat local. We've had some amazing meals this way.

The food at Fisherman's wharf was nothing special.
Where did you go?
Bubba Gump's, Applebee's.
(bang bang bang bang) That's the sound of my head banging on the counter.

We just got back from our first WDW trip and I hate to admit it since we had a great time but I agree with these. DH told me her prefers DL since it take so long to get anywhere. I think we will be going to back DL sooner than WDW plus it is easier for us to get to

We went to WDW in June for our 1st ever WDW trip and we had a great time. But I'm looking forward to going back to DL for our next Disney trip. We can stay at a hotel/motel across the street from the DL entrance for way less money. I don't have to stress about ADRs up to 6 months in advance...at DL, it's only 60 days before hand and even then, there are often plenty of reservations available a week beforehand. I don't have to pick 3 FP rides 30-60 days before. And we are often able to tour the parks in such a way that wait times are minimal (15 min). And if you want to park hop, it doesn't take an hour to get to the next park. You basically walk a couple hundred feet from 1 entrance to the other.

My poor DH has been trying for 15 yr now to convince me to go camping again. Haha! that's not going to happen. I really hate camping because it's so much work. And with the folks who we've camped with before, I often would end up doing most of the food prep & clean up. So if I'm going to have to cook and clean for each meal, I might as well stay home because at least at home, there's hot water, a shower, and a real bed. :rotfl:

** Edited to add **
Train travel - as in, a long distance have to stay overnight on the train sort of train trip. DH suggested this about a year ago. I vetoed it. This is the US, not Europe, and train travel in the US is not reliable like it is in Europe. DH really wanted to do it. So I said, "Fine, you and the kids go and have a great time!" Then he wasn't interested quite so much. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter