What is 1 unpopular opinion on Travel you have?

The thing is if you are "old time Seattle," Red Robin is local. When we were in college at the University of Washington, DH and I used to eat at the original one which was just across University Bridge, the one that started out as a tavern frequently. They tore it down a few years ago now, put up apartments I think.

Not that there aren't newer local places worth trying. But if you don't know Red Robin history it seems more annoying.
My husband is originially from Washington, across the sound from Seattle though, and we had no clue Red Robin originated there. Our friends were just bummed about the RR experience because we talked them up about our food experiences when we go to visit and they got stuck with Red Robin, which is the closest restaurant to us here at home. :laughing:

I think that's why I like variety.

I call WDW and Universal def. a vacation. But I love my beach vacations, the shorter lake weekends, the educational/history trips, the road trips, the B&B trips in the past, etc.

Oh don’t get me wrong. I love Disney and Universal. Love going to NYC and the excitement of the city. DC was a fabulous trip. And could spend a weekend a month in NOLA. Just love traveling in general.

But honestly when someone hears me say “I need a vacation!” They know without asking I am probably heading somewhere with a large body of water. Preferably the beach. Just give me a beach chair, umbrella, a good book or two and a icy drink and I am in heaven. But then I also love going to a cabin on the lake with a boat and just ride and fish and sit out on the deck.

I guess “vacation” to me is something you don’t have to come home and take a day or two to rest from.

Camping is NOT a vacation. Why take all of the clean things from your house, drag them through the dirt, only to return them to your house? Too much work.

Love looking at the beach, but hate BEING on the beach. Boring, boring, boring.

I do agree about camping. Dh keeps trying to convince me but not happening. Cabin is fine. Tent? Not on your life.

Of course my one and only real experience with camping was truly a nightmare. My ex and his family kept telling me they “went to the river” every year. I was really looking forward to it! Like I said before, love water.

So we get there and the campsite wasn’t anywhere near the water. There was a river down the hill but we were no where near it. They had no tents. They had one little camper that was used for a bathroom and the kitchen. Everyone slept in cars. The men spent the days in the boat way down at the river. The women spent the day chasing the kids to keep them from falling down the hill (more like a cliff actually) and cooking the never ending meals they expected. None of which was fresh fish by the way as they saved those for a big fish fry when they got back. I stayed one day with ods and said nope! And took him to stay with Mom and Dad because he was filthy and hot and exhausted and I was terrified of him falling off that hill!! That was the end of my camping career!

I guess “vacation” to me is something you don’t have to come home and take a day or two to rest from.
And vacation is all I call it :D

Like I mentioned I'm always tired in some way.

To get to Hawaii took 2 stops on the way there multiple time zone changes and on the way back 3 stops (2 stops was more expensive when we bought) which included an overnight flight and multiple time zone changes. We could have relaxed on the beach the entire time and still came home tired just from travel alone. But boy did we absolutely love our vacation there :)

The thing is if you are "old time Seattle," Red Robin is local. When we were in college at the University of Washington, DH and I used to eat at the original one which was just across University Bridge, the one that started out as a tavern frequently. They tore it down a few years ago now, put up apartments I think.

Not that there aren't newer local places worth trying. But if you don't know Red Robin history it seems more annoying.

The Red Robin that first existed exists now in name only. It's a hollow shell of itself and is not even headquartered in Seattle any more.

They should take the Kids Clubs off the Disney ships and put the space to better use.
During the school year I might get to spend 2 or 3 hours a day with my kids. I go on a family vacation to spend all my time with my kids.

Yes!!! Our friends recently went to Seattle to visit family....their local family members took them to Red Robin!!! They are too polite to say anything but really wanted to try something local and not something we can go to anytime. :laughing:

I don't want to hijack this thread, but we just dealt with this last week. Family we visited wanted to take us to chain restaurants & do things we can do at home. One recommendation was to form a Rook tournament for the day. We're very much go with the flow type of people, but I finally had to tell them we have every chain restaurant nearby & we don't want to spend the day doing things we can do at home. After that, we had a great time eating in local restaurants & doing things we can't do here.

Seems like many of my "unpopular" opinions are actually pretty popular amongst DIS'ers. :scratchin
(Ooops - didn't pay enough attention to the title so I've edited to pare it down to just one)
  • Aulani is in a really sucky location on Oahu :duck:

Last edited:
I’m on the camping is not a vacation bandwagon.
Also, any trip where you have to meal plan, cook and clean is not a vacation.
The thought of planning a Disney trip makes me not want to go.
Visiting family is not a vacation even if you are still off work.
Going back to reality after a vacation really sucks.

I don’t like long vacations. Several years ago I came to the realization that by Day 6 I’m ready to go home. This is for any vacation destination.
And as much as I enjoy Walt Disney World there is no way I would want to stay there for two weeks like some people.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter