What book has had the biggest impact on your life?

low-key

14001, 60056, 224
excluding books of Religion cause they obviously have the most

Rich Man, Poor Man, it wasn't no huge impact but read in High School and it just had me thinking between all the lines for years

Moonfleet by J. Meade Faulkner

I read this book in grade 7 or 8 and loved it! It encouraged my love of reading.

what is it about, I think when we first start reading grown up books, there most likely to have a big impact

Probably The Hundred Dresses. I read it when I was a kid. It has a great message against picking on someone just because they're different, and also the importance of standing up for someone who is being bullied. I think it helped me be more compassionate.

I just seen the move but I could see how that would be so inspirational

Tom Wolfe disliked the movie version. A lot of the book was about getting into the minds of the astronauts and their wives. The movie version also messed with a lot of the narrative to fit it into 3+ hours. Test pilots who didn't become part of the Mercury Seven were featured in the book, especially Pete Conrad. However, a lot of his rebelling against the selection process was attributed to other candidates. I was also kind of disappointed that they didn't find some way to portray how he gift-boxed (complete with a ribbon) a turd when providing a fecal sample.

Tom Wolfe disliked the movie version. A lot of the book was about getting into the minds of the astronauts and their wives. The movie version also messed with a lot of the narrative to fit it into 3+ hours. Test pilots who didn't become part of the Mercury Seven were featured in the book, especially Pete Conrad. However, a lot of his rebelling against the selection process was attributed to other candidates. I was also kind of disappointed that they didn't find some way to portray how he gift-boxed (complete with a ribbon) a turd when providing a fecal sample.

After the Movie I walked away having a whole new appreciation of John Glenn , a real hero

After the Movie I walked away having a whole new appreciation of John Glenn , a real hero

John Glenn was treated as somewhat of a killjoy in the book. The other member of the Mercury Seven resented that he complained that they were examples for the public and had to remain clean and moral. The book could go into details, such as the vote among the Mercury Seven that Shepard would go first when the public assumed it would be Glenn. Apparently the others resented Glenn for being such a prude.

The book presented everyone - warts and all. Tom Wolfe had a name for the press that had an insatiable desire to prod into every detail of the Mercury Seven's lives - I think it was "The Victorian Gent" and then make them seem perfect.

The movie took a lot of liberties with the facts, They had that scene where it almost seems like Chuck Yeager took an NF-104 on a joyride, when in reality he was a commander taking it on a well-planned ride. Pete Conrad was the guy who couldn't stand all the medical tests, but he wasn't in the movie. They attributed his actions to other astronaut candidates.

The power of positive thinking by Norman Vincint Peale. I have an old tattered copy and read through it from time to time. First read it over 30 years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter