Welcome Home, You've Arrived!!!!! A June 2014 Trip Report and Video

After meeting Stitch we went back to the Tower of Terror where Kiera’s Grandma stayed behind and continued waiting for the rest of the family to return and hoped that 2nd shaft got fixed quickly. The family soon returned and loved the ride. And I don’t blame them. It was then our turn to get in line (and get another rider swap card) and wait out the 40 minutes it would take even using Fastpass. I would say that 40 minutes is still worth it though as this is the Best ride in the park and one of the best Disney rides period. Plus Kena’s reactions made the whole ride worth it. I really hoped we would get to ride this again today. But that 2nd shaft never came back online meaning it held ridiculous long waits all day long. Now I saw the real reason behind all the other Tower of Terrors being designed with 3 shafts instead of 2. Do not miss out on the Tower of Terror. If you were to ride one thing this would be it.

With the Family all back together now we figured it was time to do a ride that everybody could go on together. So we went to the Great Movie Ride that had I think a 30 minute wait posted. However this was another ride where when they saw we had a Wheel Chair that had us completely bypass the Theater waiting area and took us strait to the first car in waiting train. Right where the Tour Guide is. The Great Movie ride is fun but if it wasn’t in the studios I don’t think it would be a must do. Its fun going thru and seeing the old movies but it is in desperate need of an update. I honestly don’t know if it just needs newer movies in it or a whole new attraction in general but it can be kind of boring at times. No matter what happens though I hope the Chinese Theater façade will always remain. Especially since that Ugly Hat is finally going to be removed next year giving the perfect view of the Chinese Theater. Just like MGM Studios was originally designed.

When we finished with the Great Movie Ride it was time to use our 2nd Fastpass+ for the day which I had booked for Star Tours. To get to the attraction located in Echo Lake we cut down the ally in front of the ABC Commissary which wasn’t crowded at all. When we got to Star Tours we saw that the Jedi Training Academy Show just started and with a small crowd we decided to watch these kids get trained and then duel with Darth Vader. I can’t wait until Daniel is big enough to do this. That’s when he will get to build a Lightsaber as well.

While everyone else used there Fastpasses to go on Star Tours (and get a Rider Swap Card) Kiera and I took Daniel to the Streets of America to make our way to the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground.

Last time we came to the park in 2012 we didn’t get a chance to see the playground. Although it was something that Kiera and I both have fond memories of from when our parents brought us as Kids. Although I was very surprised at how small it is. I remembered it being much bigger. That didn’t stop Daniel from having a great time though. He had so much fun playing in here and was pretty sad when we got the call that they were done at Star Tours and we left the playground. Although the IP is very dated I would put this behind Camp Jurassic as the best Kid play area.

Daniel actually fell asleep as we made our way back to Star Tours for Kiera and I to take our ride with our Fastpasses. We got another Rider Swap card and then made our way in to the attraction while the rest of the family went and sat down to eat there lunch. I said it earlier but Star Tours is my favorite Motion Simulator ride currently out there. The upgrade they did a couple years back is amazing and I love how the locations are randomized and how realistic the 4k HD video can be. I unfortunately don’t recall now though what locations we went to as I procrastinated writing this trip report for so long. Once again this is another do not miss attraction in my opinion. Infact make sure you ride it more then once as you will likely have a completely different ride.

When we finished with Star Tours we meet up with the family who were watching another showing of the Jedi Training show. We noticed the sky was getting much darker and then the announcement came on that there was lightning in the area and the show ended for the safety of the performers. Great we thought as if our plan couldn’t get thrown off any more this day. As we made our way on to the Streets of America we originally planned to go to the Lights, Motor, Action show next. But that too was cancelled with the lightning in the area. We kept our fingers crossed that the later show would still go on though.

Knowing that anything Outdoors would be closed with the Lightning threat we made our way back up to Pixar Place with our fingers crossed that maybe we could catch Toy Story with a shorter line. I must have been stupid though as it was at 80 minutes with a line outside the attraction as well. Everyone was trying to take shelter from the incoming storm. A new attraction called the Legend of Jack Sparrow had opened since the Last time we came so we decided that we could maybe take shelter there. However they don’t have a standard Que. Instead they gave us tickets to return to another showing in 20 minutes.

The rain had started to sprinkle and we forgot our Ponchos in the car. Luckly we had Daniels stroller cover to at least keep him and our belongings dry. We got that all set up and then took cover in the One Mans Dream exhibit as the Rain started to pick up outside. Which was fine with me as I wanted to see this exhibit anyways.

If your in to Disney history at all then One Mans Dream is worth a stop to check out. I loved reading about Walt Disney’s life and seeing some things from his day. The models throughout the exhibit are very cool to see especially the large one of New Fantasyland. You could easily spend a lot of time in here especially if you stop to look at everything. I believe the exhibit ends with a film as well but since our time for the Pirate show was soon coming due we didn’t have to to watch the film. One Mans Dream has easily become one of my favorite parts of the Hollywood Studios park and I hope it will still be around next time we visit.

With a couple minutes to go until our time for the Legend of Jack Sparrow we made our way outside where the rain was really coming down now. We quickly ran over to the queing area for Jack Sparrow and luckly it was covered so we were able to stay dry while we waited for the attraction to open. Finally we were let in and honestly I really wasn’t sure what to expect of this show type thing. To tell you the truth I really don’t know how to explain it. The room was very small with a pretty detailed set. The show took place thru use of the Musion effect found in many attractions at Universal where Jack Sparrow and a skull just talked to you. I mentioned the set being very detailed but the show also showed good use of how projection mapping can be used in an attraction. More then anything I think Disney used this as a test of that technology. The show was really poorly done and wasn’t good at all. Honestly if it wasn’t raining cats and dogs outside it would have been a major waist of time. Apparently others thought that too as Disney recently closed this down a couple weeks ago.

The Legend of Jack Sparrow stalled us just long enough that the rain had stopped by the time we finished. I checked the Disney App and none of the outdoors attractions had reopened so we figured it was time to do something Daniel would enjoy so we took him to the Disney Jr. Live on Stage show that would be starting soon. Daniel is always so cute watching this show. He like other Toddlers watches Disney Jr. every morning so he knows the characters and songs pretty well. He loved Dancing and watching the puppets on stage. Its reactions like this that makes all the money spent on vacation worth it. He could watch this show all day long and be happy with it.

When we were done with Disney Jr. we found the rain had thankfully not returned. And as a positive all the outdoor attractions had reopened. We still had time to kill until we could use our final Fastpass for Toy Story so Kiera’s family decided they wanted to see the Hollywood Backlot Tour. Kiera and I honestly didn’t care much for it (we didn’t know it would be closing forever at the time) so while the rest of the family went to do the Backlot Tour Kiera and I took Daniel the Disney Animation Building to go see some Characters.

This was the first we had been in the Animation Building and I didn’t realize how big it would be. There were many interactive things Daniel could do that he loved. They also have set Meet and Greet areas in here for the Incredibles, Mickey, and Wreck It Ralph. For some reason Daniel never warmed up to wanting to see the Incredibles though. So we skipped them and went strait to Wreck it Ralph. I loved the waiting area as you waited to meet him and Vanillape especially when some Tron references popped up on the board. Daniel loved Ralph and Vanillape as he went right up and gave both of them big hugs. He wasn’t afraid at all.

After Wreck it Ralph we noticed that Mickey had a shorter wait as well so we figured we’d see Mickey again too. This was hands down the best Character interaction Daniel had the whole trip. When it was our turn he literally ran to Mickey and gave him a big hug, then a kiss, then an even bigger hug. He was in heaven.

Once we finished up at the Animation Building we figured we walk down to the exit of the Backlot Tour and wait for the rest of the family. We also hoped that we would make it to the other side of the park quickly enough to catch the Monster Inc. Meet and Greet before it ended for the day. Unfortunatly though we barely missed out on Mike and Scully. We didn’t get to see them up close but Daniel got to see them from a far and they walked right past him when leaving.

The rest of the family soon returned but told us they really didn’t get to experience the Backlot Tour. Shortly after boarding the Tram and going thru the Wardrobe building the call came over the intercom that Lightning was again detected in the area and all trams had to return as they were shutting the attraction down. That also ment our hopes of catching the last showing of Lights, Motor, Action were shot as the Lightning shut down that show for the day as well. Although it wasn’t raining so we walked around the Streets of America for a bit looking for Photo Ops.

Back near the Muppet Courtyard is where the Cars and Phineas and Ferb meet and greets are located. We barely missed out on the Cars meet though as they were shutting the garage due to the Lightning warning. We debated what to do next. It was almost time to use our Toy Story Fastpass. Or we could also duck in to Muppetvision 3d (which is personally my favorite 3d show). The decision made though was to head to Pixar Place so that we could use our Fastpasses as soon as they became available.

After getting the stroller covered for potential Rain we entered the Toy Story Midway Mania with our final Fastpass+ and before we knew it we would be boarding our ride vehicle. Although its nice to use Fastpass to get on a ride quick it kinda sucks to miss all of the main que and the Mr. Potato head that is very well themed. The que alone is why I consider the Florida version of this ride to be better then California’s. Daniel loved seeing the Toy Story characters in 3d as we went thru the ride and sat great throughout the whole thing. Kiera and I again were competitive with one another but since we were in Florida I again came out on top keeping my streak of never loosing to Kiera in a shooting game in Florida alive. Toy Story is a must do ride. We really enjoy it although we think Men in Black is still the better shooter game. Still do what you must to get on this ride. Just don’t wait over an hour for it. Hopefully the Studios will get some more kid friendly rides soon so the waits aren’t so bad for Toy Story.

When we exited the ride the heavy down pore of rain had returned. We quickly took cover under an awning where out stroller was and attempted to wait it out. As we waited for the rain to let up we discussed what we should do next. We still hadn’t seen Muppets, I think there was interest in the Indiana Jones Stunt Show as well. Plus we had Rider Swap Cards that could be used for Star Tours and Tower of Terror, Single Riders for Rockin Roller Coaster, and we had planned to see tonights showing of Fantasmic. But the rain was the final nail in the coffin this day as it seemed like it wouldn’t be letting up. And since we would be back to Hollywood Studios in a few days for Star Wars Weekends we decided to call it a day at this time.

We had been waiting for over 30 minutes for the rain to let up to make a break for the cars. We soon realized that might not happen. So Stirling and I decided to sprint thru the rain out of the park and back to the cars so that we could get them warmed up for everyone else when they got there. Once they did we were all soaking wet. It was a relief to get back to the Townhouse and change out of the wet clothes.

For dinner tonight we decided to go to a Logan’s Steakhouse that was near our Townhouse. During the week they had advertised a 2 for $14.99 dinner so we decided to do that. I mean its practically cheaper then fast food and significantly cheaper then the Theme Parks. It was great having a good Steak Dinner while on vacation and not giving up a limb for it.

We were glad we ended up not staying in the parks tonight because the rain never let up. It stayed heavy all night long meaning Fantasmic likely was cancelled anyways and the outdoor attractions in the Studios may have never reopened. This day definitely turned out to be kind of the downer day of the trip as nothing seemed to go right. But it all worked out well in the end. It was nice to be able to go to bed early as we would need all the rest we would need for another Early morning at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

Day 10: Disney’s Animal Kingdom

When the early morning of our 10th day arrived we were very grateful that we called it quits early the day before and were able to get plenty of rest this night. We were all once again up early to make the park opening at Disney’s Animal Kingdom today and we hoped for the best dispite rain being forcasted again in the afternoon. We knew these morning hours would be crucial to make the most of the park before rain started. With our stomach full from breakfast and Sandwiches made for lunch we made the relatively short drive to the Animal Kingdom.

In almost no time we were at the park. We meet up with the rest of the family right inside the gates and began our day in the beautiful Oasis entry area of the park. I don’t care what anyone may say. Yes there may not be many attractions in the Animal Kingdom. But it is diffenitly one of the most Beautiful parks ever created.

I always love turning the corner and seeing the Tree of Life. Its so large and magnificent. Easily one of our favorite park Icons to be photographed with. And since we didn’t know how the weather would be later in the day we stopped to take photos with the Tree at this time.

The First area of the park we would go to was Africa so that we could ride the Kilimanjaro Safari first thing in the morning. I love how well detailed the African section of the park is at it really does feel like you transported to a remote village. We actually had Fastpasses booked later in the day for the Safari but Kiera and I learned on previous visits to try and ride this twice and different times as different animals are out and different times of the day. This is one of the Do not miss attractions at the Animal Kingdom.

The wait time said it was only a 10 minute wait but it was actually closer to 20. This was actually the first time that we had gone thru the main que as well instead of the Fastpass Que. Shortly after the merging point though we got directed to a special load area for those in wheel chairs so the wait for us anyways turned out to be shorter then for others.

This is a ride that’s really hard to discribe so instead of doing a lot writing here are a bunch of pictures from the ride. You will want your cameras ready at all times and it is probably the best ride to photograph. Since our previous visit the theme of the ride has also changed where there use to be a storyline about stopping pochers. That is now all gone and its just a run of the mill safari now.

When we were finished with our Safari we decided to continue to look around at all Africa had to offer. Besides we still had a lot of time until our first Fastpass+ could be used. So we decided to explore the Pangani Forest Trail. The people who complain about the park not being a full day park must not explore these trails as they are great and you can find yourself spending much time exploring them. These trails are some of the best ways to get up close and see the animals so they shouldn’t be missed. Daniel of course really loved it. Once again there really isn’t a ton to write about with the trails so here are a bunch of photos from it.

Next up we decided to take the train out to Rafiki’s Planet Watch. Now this was something that Kiera and I didn’t do last time we were here. The short Train takes you out past the Animal Enclosers and Medical Centers to see some of the parks animal care facilities.

When we arrived at the Conservation Station Chip and Dale were out playing some games with kids so we let Daniel Play as well. The game was to see who would be the first child to do there meet and greet and then Chip walked the winning child over to where the Meet and Greet would take place. What was cute though was although we were the last to join the game, Dale came up to Daniel and held his hand as we walked over to the Meet and Greet. It was so cute and you could tell how much Daniel was loving it. Such a cute experience. We of course waited to meet the Chipmunks as well.

After meeing with Chip and Dale we went inside to see what there was. Inside you could meet Rafiki so I got in the sort of longer line while Kiera and the rest of the Family took Daniel to see the small Animal exhibits and care centers. While out Daniel actually touched a Snake. That’s something that I wouldn’t do. This was working out to be a great day as everyone was really enjoying the park. Timing was great as after seeing everything inside it was our turn to meet Rafiki.

Right outside there is also a Petting Zoo where they have some Barnyard type animals that you can go in and pet. Again it was something Daniel really enjoyed. Once we were done with this we made our way back to the train and the rest of the park to continue on with our day.

It was about time for us to use our first Fastpass+ so we left Africa and made our way in to the Asia section of the park.

If you haven’t guessed yet our first Fastpass would be for Expedition Everest which is not only a do not miss it is also my favorite Disney Roller Coaster. The wait was long for Standby but we were surprised when the Fastpass line even stretched across the Bridge To Dinoland. It moved quickly though and after getting a Rider Swap card we were thru the que and on the ride in practically no time. We had fun again on this ride especially watching Kena’s reactions as we didn’t tell her about the backwards portion. I could only imagine how much better this ride would be if the Yeti worked. At least he seemed to be easier to see this time then he was 2 years ago. After Kiera’s parents rode (and getting as 2nd Rider swap card) we decided that maybe we should do the re ride with the Rider Swap cards now since the weather might get ugly later. So we rode again pretty much back to back. Which we were very happy we decided to do later on.

Since our next Fastpass+ was drawing near we made our way in to the next area of the park which is Dinoland USA. With a little time to kill until our Fastpasses were ready we decided to eat our lunch in the covered seating area just outside Dinosaurs exit. We grabbed some water cups and then sat down to eat. Right when it was time that we could use the Fastpasses for Dinosaur the rest of the family went and got in line while Kiera and I waited out with Daniel. While they were in the ride though was when the sky’s got dark and opened up and once again it was a torrential down pore of rain. Thank goodness we prepared to day and brought the ponchos.

By the time everyone else finished with there ride on Dinosaur the rain had let up and was more of a sprinkle when it was time for Kiera and I to ride. Infact I went and got in line to wait as when all the outdoor rides closed down due to the storm the line for Dinosaur got very long. Even the Fastpass line stretched far outside the building. We were soon inside though and began our tour of the Dino Institute. This ride is still fun and one I would consider to be a do not miss but it still pales in comparison to the Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland. The two rides use the exact same ride system (and ride layout) but Indy is done so much better. Dinosaur also feels much more rough then Indy does. Still it’s a fun ride although kinda dark at times.

Even though the rain had pretty much stopped when we finished up with Dinosaur there must have been lightning still in the area because none of the outdoor rides had reopened. Because of this we never went on any of the rides in the Dinorama area of Dinoland. Which is fine because this area is so poorly done anyways. I really don’t know what Disney was thinking as it looks so junky and trashy compared to everything else in this beautiful park. Primeval whirl can be fun though.

It was nearing time for the Finding Nemo Musical to start so since all the outdoor stuff was closed anyways we ducked in to check out the show. With the Wheel Chair it was kind of nice that we got specific seating with a center view of the stage which was great. This show is a lot of fun and probably the best actual “show” we have seen in the resorts. Try not to miss it as the show is really fun and the use of the puppets is incredible. The show is a retelling of the movie so it’s a familiar story. Really the only thing that doesn’t’ make sense is the fact the show is located in Dinoland and it has nothing to do with Dinosaurs. Seriously if any land in the Animal Kingdom needs help its Dinoland.

The storms had passed by the time we had finished with the show. And that ment the outdoor attractions had reopened as well. So we made our way back to Asia to go to the area of that land that we missed earlier.

We made our way up another trail called the Maharajah Jungle Trek. It was similar to the one located in Africa but obviously this one focused on Animals found in Asia. I actually like this trail more then the African one as I like the old ruins you go thru. The animals here are also more exotic and majestic then what you see in Africa. It again is one of those things that shouldn’t be missed. Unfortunatly since Daniel was eating an Apple at the time they wouldn’t let him take it in with us so Kiera waited out with him. Again theres not much to say about it so heres a bunch of photos from it.

The sky’s were getting dark again but it looked like there was a short wait for the Kali River Rapids. We had our ponchos so we figured what the heck we would give it a ride. Especially since it was another attraction that Kiera and I have never done. After getting in line though we found the wait to be longer then we expected. It was about 20 minutes and shortly after getting in line the announcement keep being made that there was a storm in the area and the attraction might close at any moment. We crossed our fingers that we would make it on. Especially for waiting as long as we did. We lucked out though as although it had started to rain the ride was still operating. We put our ponchos on, boarded the raft, and then started our ride. We had made it. The ride itself I’m kind torn on. It was fun but it seemed to be lacking something. The theming could be better or it could have a better story and layout. I don’t know I guess compared to Popeye at Islands of Adventure and even Grizzly River Run at Disney California Adventure it just doesn’t fit in the same league as those two. Its not something I would go out of my way to ride again honestly. Although I’m glad we rode it this time. Especially when we arrived back to the station and the line was now empty and nobody was boarding. The closed the ride down while we were on it. Just 3 rafts after we were sent away.

Since it was raining and all the outdoor attractions were shut down again that ment that we wouldn’t get to use our final Fastpass+ for the Kilimanjaro Safari since it was shut down too. I’m really glad we decided to go first thing in the morning lol. So we left Asia to go back to Discovery Island.

To take cover from this rain we decided to go to the It’s Tough to be a Bug 3d show that’s located inside the Tree of Life. Its too bad it was raining as you get really up close to the Tree and can see its incredible detail work with the Animals carved in it. We did have a short wait for our show but at least we were inside and out of the rain. I think this show is worth checking out as it is one of the better 3d shows. Daniel was asleep though so I’m not sure how he would have liked it. The show uses the Bugs Life Characters to show you what its like to be a bug. Its got a great use of the 3d effects as well as some animatronics and 4d effects. Its a lot of fun.

It was still raining hard when we finished with the show so we took cover under the area where the UP meet and greet takes place to wait out the rain. Theres a machine here that is kind of fun where if you bark like a dog then Dug will translate what you were saying. For some of us it couldn’t be more true what he translated lol.

While deciding what to do next we decided to take Daniel across the Street to where Mickey and Minnie meet in this park. And since most of the park was now deserted because of the rain we had no wait at all to meet the Mice. We successfully meet Mickey in every park except for the Magic Kingdom on this trip.

After finishing up with Mickey and Minnie we returned to the rest of the family. It was still lightly raining but Dug and Russel from UP were now meeting again so we also decided to get in line to meet them. They had some great interactions with Daniel as well even though be really doesn’t know who they were.

At this point we decided to call it quiet’s for the day. The park would be closing soon and we had seen almost everything the park has so we figured we would just got back and relax for the rest of the night. We stopped for some more photos at the Tree of Life along the way since the photographers were back out and then made our way to the parks exit.

Back at our car you could see some crains in the distance where Disney is currently building the World of Avatar. This land will be completed in 2017 and will bring the planet of Pandora from the films to life with Biolumisent plant life, floating mountains, and two new attractions. Its kind of sad how long this land is taking to build. Especially when you consider that when it was announced in 2011 Jaws at Universal was still an operating attraction. The rumored E Ticket is a new take on the Soarin Technology and the 2nd attraction is a boat ride. Hopefully everything turns out great as Animal Kingdom needs it to help keep people in the park longer in the day. In addition to Avatar Kilimanjaro will also begin doing Night tours and they are also adding a Nighttime Show called Rivers of Light.

For dinner tonight we just grabbed some Wendy’s on the way back to the Town House and called it good. Our day was over and it was nice to just relax for a bit before retiring for bed. Our run of early mornings were over again. Tomorrow we would be back at the Magic Kingdom again for a 2nd time on this trip and because we had already been once we figured we would take our time getting there in the morning. Especially since we planned our 2nd day there to focus more on the evening entertainment. We just hoped that this rain wouldn’t continue to be an issue for us.

Day 11: Magic Kingdom

It was so nice to finally have a day to sleep in a little bit. Since we had already been to the Magic Kingdom once on this vacation we decided that we wouldn't head to the park super early today for rope drop. If you also recall on our first visit to the Park on this trip we left earlier in the evening missing pretty much all the late night entertainment. So for today the plan was always set to arrive late and plan to stay until closing. After Breakfast we finally packed up the cars and headed to the Magic Kingdom.

Arriving in the afternoon is a bit different then the morning as you aren't dealing with nearly the size of crowds trying to get to the Magic Kingdom. So we took the Express Monorail today over to the park. Its actually the first we've taken the Monorail to the Magic Kingdom period.

We meet up with the rest of the family right inside the gates to the park where they were getting a Wheel Chair for the day. Upon entering Main Street we walked over by Town Hall to get some Celebration Pins. At the Magic Kingdom they had a cart with bins of the pins which was nice as you could pick what you wanted instead of asking for a specific one.

After the family picked there pins we made our way up Main Street and stopped at some Photo Pass photographers along the way. We were still a couple of hours away from our first FastPass+ reservation anyways so we had plenty of time to kill.

With the photos taken we made our way back to the Storybook Circus area of New Fantasyland. There was one ride we wanted to do today for sure and that was the Barnstormer. The ride height for this attraction is 35 inches and we hoped that Daniel would be tall enough so that it would be his first Roller Coaster ride. The wait time was 30 minutes and since the Barnstormer is pretty much a kiddie coaster the rest of the family moved on to Tomorrowland to go do Stitche's Great Escape while our little family waited to do the Coaster.

We were relieved that Daniel meet the ride height as we got in the longer line. One of the longest we would wait in on this trip. But soon enough it was almost our time to board. They measured Daniel again on the Load plateform where again he was deemed tall enough to ride. His reaction was pretty funny. The ride started out with excitement but quickly turned to terror when we started to ascend the lift hill. For practically the whole ride Daniel had his head dug into Kiera. Then when the ride was over Daniel laughed and showed how brave he was by holding his hands in the air. It was really cute. And i'm glad I was able to video the whole thing with the GoPro.

After we were done in Storybook Circus we made our way back to Main Street to meet the rest of the family in front of the Castle. There opinion of the Stitch was attraction was the same I had the only time I went on it. It was a complete waist of time. Kiera's dad was really dissapointed mostly in the fact that it replaced Alien Encounter which is the only attraction he talks about from there 1997 vacation to this day. When we meet up at the castle there was a show taking place on the stage that featured Mickey and the Gang and some of the Disney Princesses so we stopped to watch that for minute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter