Welcome Home, You've Arrived!!!!! A June 2014 Trip Report and Video

After Spiderman we wanted to take another spin on the Hulk. So again Single Rider was used however this was probably the longest Single Rider wait we had the whole trip. I think we waited over 30 minutes for our turn to ride.

Passing thru Toon Lagoon we once again took our time with many of the different photo Ops throughout the land. If you don’t want to get wet the Photo Ops are all the land really has to offer.

In Jurassic Park we stopped and watch the Splash Down for a bit from the River Adventure. Standing in the right spot you would get misted by the water and felt great in the Hot sun.

But we spent the most time in the Camp Jurassic Area. We figured Daniel really hadn’t had much time to get our and run or play so we let him go out in Camp Jurassic. He had so much fun running around and going in the caves, down slides, climbing ropes, and everything else that Camp Jurassic offers. And don’t think this area is just for kids. The themeing is excellent and there are so many things for older people to see and do as well. Hands down this is the best kids play area every built.

After we were done with Camp Jurassic we went to another kid education area located on the bottom level of the Discovery Center. Theres a few activities down there that kids will enjoy doing. The highlight though is you can watch a Baby Raptor be born. I think they do this mini show every 30 minutes but you can watch the Dinosaur hatch out of its Egg and ask the scientist questions about it and a kid watching even gets to name it. Daniel had such a blast down there as well.

For some great views of the other islands go out to the waterfront in front of the Discovery Center. This is one of the most quite and peaceful areas of the park to get away from the crowds for a bit if you need to.

Next up was the Wizarding World again which as you can imagine was the most packed area of the park. We watched the Frog Choir perform for a bit and then went up to Hogwarts to Ride the Forbidden Journey again thru the Single Rider line. I think the wait was about 15 minutes.

After Hogwarts we meet back up with those that didn’t want to ride and looked around many of the Shops in Hogsmead. We grabbed some more Butterbeer and the seeing that Olivanders had such a short wait (really odd for it being busy) we decided to check out the Wand show again.

We also took another spin on Dragon Challenge. This time on the Red track also known as Fire or the Chinese Fireball. I still think I like Ice a little more but Fire is much better now do to some near misses added from the Hogwarts Express station. Still doesn’t make up for the fact that the coasters don’t duel any more though.

The time was drawing near for the Mardi Gras festivities to start over in the studios so we left the Wizarding World to start making our way there. In the new Courtyard we noticed the walls in front of the Hogsmead station had been pushed back and there was a spot you could stand and see over the wall. So my illegal photo of the area is below lol. The Mystic Fountain in front of the Sinbad theater was also running. This is our 5th vacation to the Universal Parks and this was the first time we had seen the Fountain working. It was hilarious to watch and the kids seemed to love it. We could have watched it the rest of the night it was so surprisingly entertaining.

After a short walk we were at the Universal Globe taking our traditional photos. Then we entered the studios to a much more crowded park then Islands was. Which of course made sense with the Mardi Gras celebration.

The park got significantly more crowded around the Mardi Gras celebration area. Since people were already lining up for the parade we found a spot and Kieras mom and Grandma stayed there with Daniel while the rest of us went to find some food. I ended up getting a Po’ Boy which was pretty good. I think Kiera just got some chicken tenders which were also pretty good.

Shortly after returning with the food we had an unfortunate altercation with some jerk. We had been hanging on to our parade viewing spot for over 40 minutes. We a Wheelchair, Daniels Stroller, and a spot for Kiera to sit and that was all the space we had along the fence for the parade. A guy came up where we were sitting and tried to push his kids into the small area that I listed above. Kiera’s mom kindly told them that we didn’t have much room and we still had some people coming and this guy came unglued. Started yelling at her and cusing at her and causing a scene. He even told her that if we touched his kids to try and move them he would call security. I’ve never seen anyone like this before in the parks. Needless to say once Kiera’s Dad returned I thought the two of them were gonna throw down right there as they were right up in each others faces. Thankfully the other guy finally backed down and moved his family back further in the crowd. The thing about it too is had he not been such and *** we likely would have tried to make room for his kids. He just walked up ready to pick a fight if anyone questioned what he was trying to do.

Other then that little altercation though the parade quickly started and it was a ton of fun. We got a ton of beads between our group and Daniel really enjoyed all the floats and costumes. It really was a ton of fun and we are really glad that we were able to see the parade and Mardi Gras in general.

Not long after the parade Robin Thicke would be performing and the crowd in this area got even more crazy. I had always wanted to ride Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit after dark and I figured this might be my chance to catch it before the park officially closed for the night. So Stirling and I ran over to try and get on the Rockit. Unfortunatly though when we got there the attraction was closed for the night. I don’t know if it broke down or if they closed it for the concert or there may have been a storm in the area as well. Ether way though we wouldn’t get to ride it tonight. So we meet up with the family and took a ride on the Mummy instead which we pretty much walked on to. There were about 5 minutes left until official park closing so a few of us ran over and got a ride on Transformers as well with pretty much no wait as well. The Robin Thicke concert was in full swing at this point when we made our way towards the front of the park.

The rest of the family who didn’t ride Transformers were at the Beverly Hills Boulangerie where Kiera’s Grandma has bought everybody some Cake to end the night. It was kinda fun to just sit back with a nice treat and people watch as people exited the park.

I went back down to watch the concert for a bit but had to watch from a distance as the crowd was so packed. I’m really not a Robin Thicke fan but why not stop and watch for a bit.

As we continued to wait for the concert crowds to thin out a bit before leaving the parks we went over and looked thru the Universal Studio Store. While there though Kiera’s Grandma tripped on Daniels stroller on to her knee. It was scary for a minute but she was fine. After the experience we had with the Jerk earlier in the night it was such a relief to see so many people run over and help her up and make sure she was alright. There is good still out there. One guy stayed with her for over 30 minutes making sure she was alright. The bakery was awesome about getting us some Ice quickly to put on her knee. But as I said she ended up being fine. It likely could have been worse.

Once she was up to it we finally decided the crowds were thin enough to leave. We made our way thru the vibrant night life of Citywalk and finally back to our cars to head back to the Town House.

Everyone went to bed pretty quickly once we returned as again it was another tiring day. Tomorrow was finally one of our full down days. We had no parks planned. Just a day to kick back and relax. It was a day that was well needed.

Day 7: Down Day & Downtown Disney

Our 7th day of vacation was intended to be a down day to relax a bit from the nonstop pace that the theme parks can make. It was nice to really not have anything planned and just kick back and relax before hitting the parks hard again the next day.

Today we got up and attended the Sacrament meeting at a local LDS church (that was about 20 minutes from our Townhouse). It was a good service and interesting to go to a ward in another state. There were obviously many vacationers there with us and I thought it was funny how many of them didn’t even make an effort to dress nicer for the Sunday services. We also had an unwelcoming moment when a old lady got mad at us for Daniel making noise. I mean He is two years old. He wasn’t doing anything that any other toddler in the building was doing. This really ruined this ward for us unfortunately. What if we were investigating or starting to come back to the church. It was uncalled for.

After church on our way back to the townhouse we stopped in to a Publix and did some grocery shopping. Now that we were in our final location for the remainder of the trip and we had a full kitchen we decided to make our lunches each day to take to the parks. We would also grab breakfast before leaving the townhouse and even some nights we made dinner. Like tonight on our down day. I must say it was pretty awesome having a home cooked meal while on vacation. We actually ended up about $400 under budget on this trip because we only ate out for 1 meal on most days.

We spent most of the afternoon relaxing around the house before deciding to head out to the Orlando Premium Outlets to do some shopping. As with most girls they love to shop lol.

But I wanted to go because I love checking out the Disney Character Warehouse. This store is basically a Disney Parks outlet so you can typically find some pretty good deals on discontinued Disney Park merchandise. Infact we usually get most of our Disney Suviouneers from here because its so much cheaper. Today Kiera got some Earrings, I got a shirt and a few Disneyland Resort Vinylmations, and Daniel got a Lots-o Bear.

After finishing up at the Outlets we drove over to Downtown Disney to go see and do some shopping at the World of Disney store. Traffic was ridiculous as usually trying to get to the shopping district and parking was even worse. Thank goodness for the Handicapped parking pass for Kieras Grandma as after lapping the lot a couple times a spot finally became available.

It was looking like it was going to rain so we didn’t plan to spend a lot of time in Downtown Disney tonight and expected to come back again another night. The World of Disney store was where we spent the most time as you could literally get lost in this store for hours. Although Kiera’s family bought some items tonight from the store Kiera and I didn’t get anything. We were more so browsing and just getting ideas of stuff we might want to get later in the trip.

After quickly running over to the Christmas store to see the Ornaments (we get one every trip) it was time to call it a night and head back to the Townhouse for dinner.

It was nice to be able to turn in early to bed. It was even nicer to have a day where everything wasn’t go, go, go. Of course that would change tomorrow when we would be at Epcot.

Day 8: Epcot

It was another early morning as we hoped to be at Epcot before rope drop for park opening. This was our first Disney park that use's teirs for the Fastpass+ system. Since we decided to get Fastpass for Soarin we knew we would need to the park early to hit Test Track while the waits were shorter. After a filling breakfast we loaded up the cars and were on our way to the park for the day.

We arrived at Epcot and entered the gates of the park shortly after 9am and after some photos at the front of the park and getting a wheel chair rented for Kieras Grandma we made our way to Test Track.

Outside Test Track though was a huge line. And there was no wait time posted. We figured at this point it was likely over 40 minutes but this would really be the only time that we could ride. So Kieras Family got in line and we got a Rider Swap pass to use when they were done. Since the Rider Swap is good for 3 people Kiera's sister Kena waited out with us as well.

While the rest of the family waited to ride Test Track we took Daniel over to the Character Spot to see the Characters. The wait was posted at 15 minutes which was fine as we had time to kill. This was the first we had seen the Epcot Character Spot since it was reconfigured for Fastpass+ and unfortunatly we were dissapointed with it. Yeah the que space is longer but now you can only meet 3 characters at a time instead of all 5. And you don't know who is in there until your meeting them. Luckly for us it was Mickey, Goofy, and Minnie but we hoped to see Donald and Pluto as well. Still Daniel didn't care though and loved seeing the characters. He was so cute waiting in anticipation to see them.

Shortly after finishing at the Character Spot it was time that our 10am Fastpass+ for Mission: Space could be used. We still had no clue when Kiera's Family would be done with Test Track so at this time we were very happy that Kena waited out with us. To double time it Kena took Daniel to play in the Mission: Space playground area at the attraction exit while Kiera and I used our Fastpass+ to ride the Orange Team side of the attraction. With the Fastpass we were on in pretty much no time. The ride is very fun and a must do in Epcot. I still say this is probably the most intense ride i've been on as the G-forces are pretty crazy. If your prone to motion sickness though you probably want to go on the Green team side.

We timed it perfectly as when we finished with our ride on Mission: Space the rest of the family finished at Test Track. They ended up waiting over an hour to go on the ride and although they liked it they didn't feel it was worth the hour wait. Since everyone else still had Fastpasses to use for Mission: Space they all went and rode while Kiera and I now sat out with Daniel. Everyone went on the Orange team as well except for Kiera's Mom and Grandma who did the Green Team since they have motion issues with Spinning.

When they finished with Mission: Space it was now our turn for Test Track. So Kiera, Kena, and Myself took our Rider Swap card and entered the Fastpass line where we entered the Design Studio with almost no wait. I was really excited to see the new Test Track. I was a big fan of the original version and being a big fan of Tron I was excited to see the new Tron inspired version. The Design Studio was cool where you got to design your own car. However we really didn't know what was going on. I thought that everyone got to design your own. But I guess your in groups of 3 and your group designs one car. Had I known this I wouldn't have rushed thru designing my car. We really sat for like 2 minutes doing nothing. From the Design Studio though we practically walked on to the ride vehicle where Kiera and Kena had a premade design assigned to them. The ride itself was still really fun. I loved the Tron look as if your in a computer. Being competitive I also like seeing how our vehicle stacked up against the others. The outdoor portion is always a rush too. Although I really like what they did with Test Track 2.0 I have to admit that I honestly think I liked the original version more. I liked the actual testing facility feel off the attraction more then the virtural feel. Still this is again a ride that you shouldn't miss at Epcot. I will also note though that Radiator Springs Racers in California is still the better use of the technology that i've experianced.

After Test Track we meet back up at Mission: Space where Daniel was still playing. Then it was time to move on to our next Fastpass+ attraction of Spaceship Earth. This is practically the only classic Epcot attraction left and even it has had its changes. You'll find it located inside the larger spear that acts as the the parks icon and usually the waits are short for it. However we needed fastpass+ for something so we chose this. Its another attraction that you shouldn't miss as it takes you on an animatronic filled journey thru time and the history of communication. I consider it to be in the same vein as Pirate of the Caribbean or the Haunted Mansion. Daniel really liked the decent part with the video of us lol.

With some time to kill before our final Fastpass+ time we swung in to Club Cool was we wanted to have Kieras family try out the Sodas from around the world. And most importantly the Beverly as I wanted to record there reactions. The best part was that Kena filled a cup of it first so her reaction was great. Stirling had and Kieras Mom had a decent reaction as well. Her dad and Logan though didn't even flinch from he bitter drink. For some reason Kena tried it again and had just as good of a reaction as the first time.

It was time to use our final preselected FastPass+ so we made our way to The Land pavillion and eventually down to Soarin. With the Tiered Fastpass setup at Epcot you have to choose between Soarin and Test Track. You can't get a Fastpass for both so we choose Soarin. While all of Kiera's family got in the Fastpass line for Soarin Kiera and I took Daniel over to go on Living with the Land that only had a 10 minute wait posted. This ride is actually a personal favorite of ours. It talks about cultivating thruout the dark ride portion and then it takes you out in to the Green Houses that actually produce much of the vegitables found thruout the Disney World Resort. Its really cool to see how it all works and this is a ride we don't think should be missed. Daniel passed out though while waiting in line.

We ended up finishing with Living with the Land about 5 minutes before everyone else finished with Soarin. So we waited at the exit in the old Fastpass distribution area until they returned. Once they did they took the sleeping Daniel to go take a ride on Living with the Land as well while Kiera and I used our Fastpass+ to go ride Soarin. Soarin is another ride in Epcot. I recommend getting that Fastpass for this though over Test Track as the standby line gets much longer at Soarin. This simulator is pretty good but honestly its not worth the waits it gets. The ride is a lot of fun as you fly over California landmarks but honestly the screen is getting in pretty poor shape. It really needs an update.

After the ride we sat down at the Sunshine Seasons Food court area of The Land Pavillion to eat our lunch. The night before the girls made up a bunch of sandwiches to bring to the Park so it was nice not having the expense of lunch today. It was also nice that the water in the food court is self serve so we didn't have to wait in any lines.

Upon finishing our lunch we walked next door to the Seas with Nemo and Friends pavilion. This Pavilion may be our all around favorite as Daniel loved looking at all the sea life. The line for the actual Nemo ride was pretty short so we went on that to enter the pavilion. The ride is fun and we were glad to actually see the Angler Fish working. Daniel loved seeing all the Nemo Characters. Its a cute little ride that I don't think should be missed. However the Nemo Submarine Voyage at Disneyland is much better.

When we finished with the Nemo ride we spent a lot of time in the pavilion looking at a lot of the sea life thruout the aquarium. Daniel loved it. Espeically watching the Sea Turtles and Dolphines. We also saw a vast assortment of fish and they came out and were feeding the Rays as well.

In a different area we were able to see I think Manatees which were so big and cool to see. Not only was Daniel loving the Pavilion but Kieras Dad was loving it as well and really took an interest in it.

Before finishing up with the Seas we went and saw the Turtle Talk with Crush show that Daniel loves. This show is interactive where Crush will speak to kids in real time. They can ask questions and he will answer them. Its really cute and funny and we always try to see it when we go. The waiting area is also the only area where you can see the Jelly Fish tanks.

Before heading to our next ride I swung by one of the Fastpass Kiosks to book a 4th Fastpass for the family since we had used all of ours. The Kiosk in Epcot was every bit as rediculous to use as the one in Magic Kingdom as I couldn't get it to react to the touch of my finger. Since we only had one attraction left in Future World I decided to book the Fastpass for Maelstrom in the World Showcase since thats the direction we were heading.

Or final attraction in Future World was Journey into Imagination. Honestly this ride is one that you could probably miss if your pressed for time. It just isn't nearly as good as the original. But hey Daniel does love it with how bright the ride is and he thinks Figment is pretty funny. We walked right on to the ride with no wait at all. I can't believe they seriously added Fastpass to this ride. The Imagination Pavilion can be fun for kids though with many interactive exhibits at the end in ImageWorks. Its just a shadow of its former self now though compared to what I remember from my Childhood.

It was a little after 5pm when we finally entered the World Showcase. We cut over to the opposite side of where we were to start the World Showcase in Mexico. We mainly started over there though since it would soon be time to use our Maelstrom Fastpasses.

Mexico is the first country we stopped in and looked around. We also took a spin on the Grand Fiesta Tour which was a walk on that takes you on a tour of Mexico heritage with Donald Duck and the other Cabbleros. The ride isn't a must do ether but again its one that Daniel seems to enjoy. Mexico is the only World Showcase Pavilion that is completly indoors so it makes for a cool environment.

It was time to use our Fastpass so its a good thing the next country we would come to was Norway which was where the Maelstrom ride was located. We didn't know it at the time (although the rumors were abound) but this would be our final ride on Maelstrom. It closed forever last month as it is going to be turned in to a ride based on Frozen. I have to admit that I will was sad to see it go. It wasn't the best ride out there but it was one of the best in Epcot and its another original attraction that is gone forever. This boat ride took you thru Norwigian folk lore as you encounterd trolls and polar bears and vikings. I am interested to see how the switch to Frozen works out and I hope most of the rest of the Norway Pavilion stays intact but I guess time will tell.

Next up was China where we caught the ending of and acrobatic type show that was taking place and was pretty cool to see. We just walked around the shops in China and checked out the small Tarakata Soldier Display.

The outpost was the next section we came to which isn't really a country. Its just set up with some African goodies and items. I did almost buy one of the Phineas and Ferb specialty drinks here to get the beaker cup but they were sold out of the flavor that I would have wanted so I passed.

Germany was the next country and we just again walked around the shops. They do have a pretty cool ko ko clock display in a shop though and the miniature train set is cool.

It always seems to me like there isn't anything to see in Italy. I mean the themeing is great and its very pretty. But other then a Pizzaria theres really not much here. It was the only pavilion where it was hard to find a hat for my Hats around the World photos.

The American Pavillion was next and is the center of the World Showcase. There is an attraction here called the American Adventure but we didn't see it this day. Its an Animatronic filled show that tells about American History. Although its not a must do if your tight on time It is something I would recommend seeing if you go to Epcot over multiple days.

Japan was the next country. We spent a bit of time looking around here as it has one of the best shops in any theme park. We also bought a bunch of odd Japanese treats. The pavilion is very pretty especially the gardens around the Koy Pond.

Next up was Moracco which is another well done Pavillion. This one feels like a maze to me and I love how the shop feels like your in a bazzar yet its actually inside. There was some sort of a performance taking place outside but i'm not sure what it was called. Moracco is probably one of my favorites in the World Showcase. I just wish it offered a bit more.

The France Pavilion was the next one we came to. In the past there was a little bakery here that we loved getting some French treats from so we were sad for a moment when we found the Bakery was replaced by an Ice Cream shop. Saddened we enterd the shop to look around and became releaved when we found the Bakery was now located within the shop area. It had been moved to a larger previously unused space. So we were still able to get some of our snacks that we've enjoyed in the past. Some of Kiera's Family also got dinner from the bakery as they offer pretty good and affordable sandwiches.

For us though (as well as some of Kieras siblings) we planned to get dinner in the next country which is the United Kingdom. Its become somewhat of an Epcot tradition to get Fish and Chips at some point during the day so thats what we decided on for Dinner tonight. The United Kingdom is very pretty and well detailed. But its so small and nothing much more then a shop and a pub.

The final country in the World Showcase is Canada. And for some reason we always seem to get to the pavilion after night fall and shortly before Illuminations is suppose to begin. We sat down at the Canada stage area to eat our dinner and wait for Illuminations to start after exploring the Pavillion. Time was cut tight and I wish we had more time to explore the World Showcase but we were able to do everything we wanted. Kiera got her treats from each country, I got my Hat photos, and Daniel got a Duffy or Perry sign from each country.

You can actually get a good view of Illuminations watching the show from the Canada stage. We just stood up on the bench and was elevated enough to see over the crowd and have a perfect view of the show. No day at Epcot is complete without it ending with Illuminations. This show mixes Fireworks, Fountains, Lasers, and Fire in to one great show. And the crazy thing is there is no infastructure in place for all of it. They have to pull it in on barges every single day. Its one of the do not miss things that Disney does.

When the show was over we made our way with the rest of crowd towards the park exit. As we walked thru the center walk way towards the main plaza we passed the only topiaries left over from the Flower and Garden Festival. These topiaries were still up because of the World Cup. I wish we had seen them during the day as they are always cool to see. We also stopped by Mouse Gears to see if there was any unique merchandise here that we'd be interested in but there wasn't.

After stopping near the exit to get some final family photos with Spaceship Earth we exited the park and made our way back to the Townhouse where after a little snacking we went to bed for the evening. Epcot is so big that you can get pretty tired from all the walking and we were all beat from the day. Tomorrow would be another early morning though as again we hoped to make it to Hollywood Studios before rope drop.

Day 9: Disney’s Hollywood Studio’s

It was another early morning for our 9th day of vacation. Today we would be at Hollywood Studios and with the park opening today at 8am we were once again gonna try and hit rope drop. The Fastpasses are again tiered in Hollywood Studios so we had to choose between Toy Story and Rockin Roller Coaster for our top tier option. The plan was to hit the other before crowds go bad. Breakfast was ate, Sandwiches were made and packed, and then we were out the door heading to the park.

After we parked and walked to the gate we made it again shortly after rope drop. Our Fastpass later in the day was for Toy Story Mania. We just hoped to get to the park early to hit in the morning and then use the Fastpass in the evening. That didn’t happen as by the time we got in to the park and got the Wheel Chair for Kiera’s Grandma Toy Story was already up to a 45 minute wait.

With our initial plan shot we now took our time walking Down Hollywood Blvd which is one of my favorite entrances in any Theme Park. We figured now we would just head down Sunset Blvd as well to the next high demand attraction.

As I mentioned earlier we weren’t able to get a Fastpass+ for Rockin Roller Coaster do to the Tier setup Hollywood Studios and Epcot has. We knew that the coaster would get packed so we went there first thing and were shocked to find the wait at 80 minutes. We’ve been in the park for not even 30 minutes and it already seemed like the day was gonna be a bust. Not wanting to wait in an 80 minute line Kiera’s family decided to use the Single Rider Line which claimed to have a 30 minute wait. We were still able to get a Rider Swap card as well despite them using Single Rider. Kiera, Daniel, her Grandma, and I ended up waiting out while everyone else rode and about 30 minutes later they were back and it was time for Kiera and I to ride.

With the Rider Swap card Kiera and I basically walked in to the Preshow room with no wait at all. It was nice to get to go on this with her as last time we came we had to do Rider Swap and go alone. I was excited when we got the last row in the train which usually gives the most intense ride. Rockin Roller Coaster is one of those rides you should not miss and is easily the most extreme Disney coaster I’ve ever been on. Its a lot of fun as you travel with Aerosmith to a concert. it’s a blast that I hoped we would be able to ride again later in the day.

Once we were done with Rockin Roller Coaster it was time that we could use our first Fastpass+ for the day which I booked for the Tower of Terror. When we got to the gate we got hit with more bad news. One of the elevator shafts was broken so the ride was running at only half capacity. So even Fastpass was faced with about a 45 minute wait. We had the Fastpasses and needed to use them so Kieras parents and brothers went and got in line while the rest of us waited out until they were done. Of course we got the Rider Swap card as well.

Since we knew we had time to kill and with no other small rides in the area that we could take Daniel on we decided to head to the plaza area around the Sorcerers Hat. Last time we came they had a ton of Characters here in the morning out doing meet and greets so we hoped the same for today. But they weren’t The only charaters were I think Donald and Goofy that were meeting. We got a picture already on this trip with Goofy so we got in line for Donald. We waited for over 20 minutes and then when we were just a few groups away the handler announced the Donald was leaving and Stitch would be taking his place. Dang it we just aren’t having any luck this day. We already meet Stitch at the O’hana Breakfast a week ago. Oh well we waited anyways and Daniel was really cute with him. He likes Stitch more then Donald anyways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter