Week After Turkey Day Shenanigans

Good morning everybody! I've been up for two hours, had two cups of coffee, and I'm just starting to feel human. I have a feeling I'll be feeling the effects from Sunday night for days!

So I can't seem to tear myself away from my Disney planning. Now that you have a reservation, what is your planning strategy? Do you plan everyday down to the minute? Do everything on the fly? Make ADRs and figure the rest out later? What items are you taking into consideration in your planning?

I want to create a spreadsheet of sorts for my trip. Things on my list to think about are: early magic hours, holiday party park closures, ADRs, transit time, down time, FPs, parades or other events. What else? What do you prioritize? For example, if you can only get dining at BOG on a particular day that otherwise would have been your Epcot day, do you switch around your plan for the ADR?

There are two things I need before I can proceed with planning:

1. I need the December TA calendar, which I suppose we won't get until around May 16 if the past 2 months have been any indication.

2. I need all the night stuff at AK to get going so we can start to figure out people's touring patterns and how that will affect crowds. I'm anxious to see how recommended parks change with the new things at AK, the new track at TSMM, and all the Frozen stuff at Epcot. Feels like several things are up in the air right now, but I'm sure glad I'm not going to wdw in June or July!

I'm not sure how to plan this trip, with the new FP system. Is it better to get FPs first thing so you can use them up and get new ones ASAP? Or is it not that big of a deal given (hopefully) the crowd levels our week? And yeah, this week is tough straddling two months with the December calendar not out yet.

One of the things I'm waiting for (and I know I'm not alone on this thread!) is how the Frozen attractions at Epcot shake out.

My name mentioned in a Shenanigans thread...I feel honored :)
JT sign ups are still in the same spot. Indiana Jones store. Sign up early, first thing, to have your pick of shows. Then you have to be at that same spot 30 minutes before your show to get your Jedi robes and final instructions.
Any other questions on anything SW at DHS follow the link below to the official thread

Thanks for popping in! You rock for all your hard work with the SW stuff and I cant wait to be able to do ALL the SW things this trip!

Good morning everybody! I've been up for two hours, had two cups of coffee, and I'm just starting to feel human. I have a feeling I'll be feeling the effects from Sunday night for days!

So I can't seem to tear myself away from my Disney planning. Now that you have a reservation, what is your planning strategy? Do you plan everyday down to the minute? Do everything on the fly? Make ADRs and figure the rest out later? What items are you taking into consideration in your planning?

I want to create a spreadsheet of sorts for my trip. Things on my list to think about are: early magic hours, holiday party park closures, ADRs, transit time, down time, FPs, parades or other events. What else? What do you prioritize? For example, if you can only get dining at BOG on a particular day that otherwise would have been your Epcot day, do you switch around your plan for the ADR?

Same here, crashed at 9:30 last night and slept like a rock.

I've already started gathering data from my favorite sources (Touring Plans, Easy WDW, and Kenny the Pirate) and have a basic spreadsheet of crowd levels and hours. Not much info out for December, and November is still very basic so now we wait for more info such as shows, EMH, etc. I already know I'll plan my MK days around the MVMCP since we wont be attending, and party days make for much lighter crowds before afternoon. WE used that strategy last year for the NSSHP days and it worked great...we were done with my entire touring plan 2 hours before planned, then headed to AKL for dinner at Boma. Long but perfect day :)

I dont plan to switch any park days solely for dining, but we hit BOG for breakfast and dinner last year and while we enjoyed it a lot it won't be a dealbreaker for us this year. If I can make it work great, if not no big deal. With MK closing early for parties 3 days that week it will be a tough dinner reservation to snag for sure.

I'm not sure how to plan this trip, with the new FP system. Is it better to get FPs first thing so you can use them up and get new ones ASAP? Or is it not that big of a deal given (hopefully) the crowd levels our week? And yeah, this week is tough straddling two months with the December calendar not out yet.

One of the things I'm waiting for (and I know I'm not alone on this thread!) is how the Frozen attractions at Epcot shake out.

We went with early FP and got additional as we went which worked GREAT at MK since there are so many rides. On our 2nd MK day last year we used 8 FP in 1 day, and that was using kiosks where now it can be done via the app. Interested to see how that will affect it. I literally stood in front of buzz lightyear at 6pm with a 45 minute wait, walked over to the kiosk across the street and got a FP for Buzz during the current time and walked on the ride. Impressed my DH haha!

We went with early FP and got additional as we went which worked GREAT at MK since there are so many rides. On our 2nd MK day last year we used 8 FP in 1 day, and that was using kiosks where now it can be done via the app. Interested to see how that will affect it. I literally stood in front of buzz lightyear at 6pm with a 45 minute wait, walked over to the kiosk across the street and got a FP for Buzz during the current time and walked on the ride. Impressed my DH haha!
Oooo that sounds awesome!! It should be even easier this year then, now that you can do it on your phone, right?

Even on light days you are going to want those fast passes. We have always gone on off weeks in January and February with crowds around a two. But, Peter Pan and seven dwarves will still have a wait over half an hour during the day. I've found in he evening especially right after that 3pm parade during the slow times though most of it is walk on. My theory is this is because the teenage group that usually sleeps in and hit the park around noon is in school. I think I'm going to do what I always do and book the fast passes in the park we will be in for the majority of the day. Then use the new extra ones in the afternoon at a different park. This new system helps out so much because we Love to park hop. Especially with all the construction at HS we can do that park on a few hours.

Yep! You do exactly what we do. We've always used them early especially for those attractions that are always going to have a wait time. Great minds think alike

I don't plan everything to the last minute. We are very relaxed in our touring-I'm sure we would drive a lot of people crazy w/how relaxed we are. :) Dh and I have some health issues, so we're just not able to go, go, go.

For right now, I'm checking out easywdw to plan our park days, though we have kind of a system already. I prioritize mainly by crowd level. We go to the lowest predicted crowd level park.

Once I figure out which park for which day, I'll make a list of all the restaurants for that park with menus, present it to the family, and we'll decide where to eat. I do this for both CS and TS, just to get an idea of how it might go. We are completely flexible with the CS options though. Figuring out dining is the most important right now, bc my day to make ADRs is just a month away.

I try to get BOG for our MK day, but I take whatever I can get. ;) this is the one I really hope to snag. It's one of my daughter's favorites. Since we had to buy the hoppers anyway, if I can only get it for our Epcot day, well that would be ok. As long as we can go, you know?

After that, then it's on to fp. I'm going to have to read up on this new system, but I have a pretty good idea what they like to ride. (I don't ride much-I have fibro and anxiety=not a good combo for a lot of rides. :D ) I still make myself a fp though, and just give my magic band to one of the kids so they can ride again.

Then it's on to making lists on top of lists-shopping, packing, etc.

I keep all of this in a big binder. :D I love it!

Once I figure out which park for which day, I'll make a list of all the restaurants for that park with menus, present it to the family, and we'll decide where to eat. I do this for both CS and TS, just to get an idea of how it might go. We are completely flexible with the CS options though. Figuring out dining is the most important right now, bc my day to make ADRs is just a month away.

I try to get BOG for our MK day, but I take whatever I can get. ;) this is the one I really hope to snag. It's one of my daughter's favorites. Since we had to buy the hoppers anyway, if I can only get it for our Epcot day, well that would be ok. As long as we can go, you know?

Then it's on to making lists on top of lists-shopping, packing, etc.

I keep all of this in a big binder. :D I love it!

I have a binder too! Part of the fun is pretending to be organized about it :)

And I hope to use the park hoppers more this year. my oldest son and I hopped to MK For nighttime stuff last year while DH and the baby went to bed. Hoping since the little one will be almost 3 this trip he will be able to hang longer!

We haven't told the kids yet, though DH and I have been talking about it pretty blatantly. Proof that they really don't listen to us. :rotfl: It turns out that another family we are close to is going the same week, I don't know if she's surprising her kids or if we will get together and do a joint announcement!

I keep trying to make the other families start making an ADR list, they keep saying we have time (it's 34 days away). Once everyone has plans we will all get together and vote who is eating with who. My cousin and her family just surprised us and might join in onthe trip, if they do, it might be a total of 16 people. Yikes! I make all the ADR and FPs. That makes it pretty stressful.

I keep trying to make the other families start making an ADR list, they keep saying we have time (it's 34 days away). Once everyone has plans we will all get together and vote who is eating with who. My cousin and her family just surprised us and might join in onthe trip, if they do, it might be a total of 16 people. Yikes! I make all the ADR and FPs. That makes it pretty stressful.

That would stress me to the max! coordinating my family alone was hard enough, but add more people/opinions and gah. Good luck!

Do you guys all eat together or do you book two tables? I've always seen huge families and wondered how stressful that must be.

Do you guys all eat together or do you book two tables? I've always seen huge families and wondered how stressful that must be.
We try to sit all together, some resturants you just can't. I noticed this year the kids are very opinionated on where they want to eat. So we might be smaller groups. Guess I will found out soon.

Same here, crashed at 9:30 last night and slept like a rock.

I've already started gathering data from my favorite sources (Touring Plans, Easy WDW, and Kenny the Pirate) and have a basic spreadsheet of crowd levels and hours. Not much info out for December, and November is still very basic so now we wait for more info such as shows, EMH, etc. I already know I'll plan my MK days around the MVMCP since we wont be attending, and party days make for much lighter crowds before afternoon. WE used that strategy last year for the NSSHP days and it worked great...we were done with my entire touring plan 2 hours before planned, then headed to AKL for dinner at Boma. Long but perfect day :)

I dont plan to switch any park days solely for dining, but we hit BOG for breakfast and dinner last year and while we enjoyed it a lot it won't be a dealbreaker for us this year. If I can make it work great, if not no big deal. With MK closing early for parties 3 days that week it will be a tough dinner reservation to snag for sure.

I just made a tentative park schedule, based on your first two sources and put it all in a spreadsheet. I've added a few TS and QS plans, but DH and I need to finalize our list of where we want to eat. I'll plug the dates in to where they fit best on the schedule. I have a feeling things will change once the Dec hrs are out.

I definitely want BOG for dinner, at this point probably on 12/4, because I think I'm going to get MVMCP tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter