We are back!! (to back) - Galveston December 3rd - 13th - Completed

I came on here to find a Cruise report, and yours is just what I needed!
My daughter and I LOVE the American Girls clothes- so impressive!
Looking forward to more!

Thanks for the great trip report! Looking forward to the rest.

Thank you, I hope to get some more done this week. :thumbsup2

I came on here to find a Cruise report, and yours is just what I needed!
My daughter and I LOVE the American Girls clothes- so impressive!
Looking forward to more!

Thanks - let's hope that more people get around to doing some trip reports :goodvibes as it's a bit sparse pickings at the moment, and I know people are interested in the kids clubs and mine doesn't cover any of that.

Tuesday, Dec 7th - Embarkation #2

We both had a really good night of sleep, and for the first time in a long time I didn’t feel the ship come into the channel or dock at all. :lovestruc I woke up just before 7 am and got busy answering the health screening questions. Here are some screen shots of them.

By the time I peeked outside the ship was already at the dock. It looked like it was a very cold and miserable day in Galveston with a spit of rain in the air. Thankfully we were headed back to Mexico! :sunny::sunny::sunny:

The fueling ship was already in place and at about 7:30 am they announced that the ship had been cleared by customs.

Paul was going to join us today and so he and I texted a bit to go over the logistics as I had planned and booked everything for him. :idea: We got ourselves moving and I got the cabin tidied up so that Dean could come in and get his job done while we were gone. We put our back to back stickers on but all of the instructions for how back to back works were on the navigator app. We took the documents they had listed in the app instructions and the basics we thought we might need and went down to breakfast at about 8:10 am. I stopped at Shutters to pick up my USB drive, which took seconds, and then we went into breakfast. The menu looked the same to me as pre-Covid. I got the muesli and everyone else got Eggs for the Road in some variation.

Our instructions were to be in Azure by 9 AM and we got there at about 8:50 am.

There were about seven other families that were also doing a back to back. They also had something going on with the bingo machines. It looked like some type of vendor was doing some sort of inspection on them. :magnify:

They held us for quite a while, although we never really got a reason why. We finally walked off the ship at 9:30 am and went down to immigration where they just took a look at our passports. Then it was straight into the Covid testing area. All four of us tested together again and it only took a few minutes before we were back in the waiting area to wait for our results in safe passage. Quick side note here that the app did not mention that we needed a port arrival form, but we were asked for it several times again, and I didn’t have it. :rolleyes1 I had them printed out up in the cabin though! :rotfl: They didn’t need them as they could look us up by cabin number, but it would have been a smoother process if I’d have brought them with us. It was about 9:40 am when we got to the waiting area for the Covid results.

After a quick 20 minute wait we got notice that we had all cleared to board and we were directed upstairs to the waiting area.

Another side note, as soon as we were cleared to board, the Safe Passage app also showed us as cleared to disembark. I'm assuming if you had a child that needed to be tested prior to disembarking this would show as pending. :confused3

Because we were back to back they allowed us to wait in the Concierge area, not that it really made any great difference, but it’s the closest area to boarding. :goodvibes There were no photographers set up yet, so a boarding photograph wasn’t available. There were a surprising number of contractors waiting to clear testing and board the ship. I’m guessing 100 or more?

It was about 10:30 am when we were told that they had cleared us to get back on the ship and we headed back to the gangways.

[

I guess this is where (nasty) DCL mattresses go to meet their maker. There were a LOT of them!! I had never even considered before how many soiled mattresses there must be. :crazy2:

We were the last of the back to backs to get on the ship, but we were happy to take our time and just amble through things. It was 10:41 am when I took this photo as we walked back into the atrium. Ahhh…Disney Wonder how we missed you!! :laughing:

We decided to go and sit in the French Quarter lounge to wait for Paul to arrive. He had a port arrival time of 10:45 am and was already in line to get into the building.

They offer complimentary coffee for B2B guests in French Quarter lounge and also Cove Café. We all got a cup of coffee while we waited which was quite welcome after a chilly adventure off the ship and back. But it wasn’t chilly enough to have thrown $160+ at two new jackets. 😉

Paul had been messaging me during the week to see if I could find out if the England v Australia cricket was going to be shown. :happytv: I had yet to find anyone that knew, but while we were sitting there a CM from India was right there, and they are usually pretty into cricket, so I stopped him and asked if he knew. That led to us chatting to him for well over half and hour. His name was Das and he was some kind of beverage service manager I think. But, anyway, he was super friendly and just a great guy to talk to. But….he didn’t know about the cricket! Ha ha. Ended up they didn’t show it and Paul had to use the internet to keep up with the score. :surfweb:

Paul was texting and he was through the testing and waiting for his boarding group. Right before Das said goodbye he opened a bottle of Prosecco and gave us all a complimentary glass. :lovestruc Along with these delicious dirty cherries to put in it. I knew there was something about him I liked. :thumbsup2 I mean, if you’re going to meet up with a CM you can't get any better than a BEVERAGE person!! :rotfl2:

Right as we had finished drinking our prosecco Paul texted that he was on his way onto the gangway so we went and stood in the atrium and waited for him. It took a little while for them to cycle through the show enough for him to actually make it to the ship but it was just before 12:20 pm when we could finally see him.

We embarrassed him by hooting and hollering as they announced him. And then he stood there very awkwardly by himself watching the show. :rotfl2: I had been looking forward to seeing him looking awkward!! I just knew I was going to love that part!

We went back and sat down in promenade lounge to get ourselves organized with the app again and to get all the info down including having to check in at muster and all of that kind of stuff. The boys are back together – Scott was a happy guy.

We decided to skip Cabanas and try Tiana’s instead. We’ve not eaten lunch in there on embarkation day since it was Parrott Cay, so that’s been a while. The choices were decent, but probably not as varied as in cabanas. However, I will say that the food was actually hotter. I got the empanada and a soup, although now I can’t remember which one.

Scott got the salmon salad. It looked really dry but he said it was OK.

Once we were done with eating we went and did our muster check in. It all worked this time as Scott had figured out what the secret combination was to get the ship wifi to recognize you were actually there. I wish I could be helpful and remember what it was that he did, but I don’t remember now at all! :confused3 There were dolphins playing in the ship channel while we were checking in which was pretty awesome. ::yes:::fish:

Then it was up to the state rooms to….oh, yeah, we were already unpacked!!! Sooooo nice!! :worship: Paul’s luggage had already arrived but he wasn’t bothered about getting it unpacked in a hurry. I got Paul’s door decorated, which reminded me that I had not taken photographs of our own doors, so that was a bonus reminder! Doors!

Paul and Scott managed to open the veranda divider between the two state rooms for Mum and Paul with a ball point pen. We stood out on the veranda and watched the dolphins playing in the ship channel. I had borrowed a jacket from Mum at this point because the damp, chilly, weather was really yucky.

At 2:30 pm, we decided it was well past time for an adult beverage! Cove stuck out as being the most protected area and so we found some comfy chairs to hang out in for a little while. Mum and Maureen got coffee to warm them up, Paul and Scott got beer and I got a piña colava, which seemed to be my staple “deck drink” on this cruise. :thumbsup2

We watched a pretty big tanker being moved by tugboats, that was pretty interesting and gave us something to watch.

The Coast Guard were out as well – looking pretty impressive with the big guns up front there! :D

We sat until it was almost time for muster, but with the weather being so chilly we decided to go back to our cabins. They shut down all of the guest services during that time, so you don’t miss much. I must say that this new form of muster is so much nicer! :teeth:

We decided to just stay where we were to watch sail away. It made it easier as a group to just hang out there and it would have been really cold up on deck 10 today. It was a shame that I picked cabins when one of the walls was solid, so that we couldn’t have all three verandas open. Oh well. :guilty: They cast off at about 4:10 pm.

We were having a fun time by ourselves. We can entertain ourselves for hours! Ha ha

A gloomy Galveston sail away, unfortunately.

We were treated to some dolphins playing in the wake of the bow of a tugboat that was alongside us. Scott managed to get some pretty good photos of them and it gave us something to watch on our way out. :lovestruc

This is the USS Seawolf, it’s on the spit of land going out of Galveston ship channel. You can get to it and there’s a nice viewing place there to watch ships come and go.

More ship “stuff” on our way out and the second one has to be something to with the oil industry as Scott took it. LOL

The first trivia session today was Brain Teasers at 5 pm, which is pretty early compared to the usual schedule, but handily it was at a perfect time to give us something to do. :) We headed down to Crown and Fin with great expectations for a good trivia session.

And then we ran into the problem with trivia at 5 pm on embarkation day in Galveston. The bar isn’t open!! :scared1::scared1::scared1: The boys were desperate for a beer so Maureen graciously said she would go to French Quarter lounge to get one for them. One of the servers in French Quarter helped her bring them back, and crisis was averted. Trivia was hard, as you can see here there was a lot of thought going into these questions! :confused::faint::idea: By the way, Mum swears that she is closing her eyes to listen to the question, I know it doesn’t look like it here! :rotfl:

We got 12 out of 20 on the trivia, so we all agreed that we were just easing ourselves into our endeavor to capture a Mickey medallion. Quick mention here too that there were two trivia hosts from the UK. One was Molly, from Saffron Walden in Essex, and the other was Robyn from Dublin. Both of them were really good, but Robyn was AWESOME. If you have enjoyed Jo Slow on previous cruises then Robyn is going to be your new girl. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Edited because I'm reading this again and realize I wrote "UK" and, of course, Dublin is in Ireland. :headache: Seeing as my Dad was from Dublin, it warranted an editorial correction. :rotfl:

We walked back to the lobby while first seating was just going in to dinner. They had Donald and Daisy up on deck four and Ariel and Bell were on the staircase doing wave and greets.

Back in the cabin, I got caught up with my trip report, and I also got some laundry gathered together. We had been given a $400 onboard credit by Disney cruise line for this cruise because the itinerary had been changed and I had planned to use some of it for laundry so that I didn’t have to do it! :thumbsup2 The usual flotilla of tankers and other ships waiting to get into the port of Houston was sitting out in the ship channel as we got further out. Unfortunately, it was way too cold to stand out there tonight and watch them too much. :cold:

When we got back to the cabin this time there was an envelope from the spa for Scott for his birthday! LOL It was a $50 gift certificate of a 50 minute or more treatment. I wondered why they hadn’t given it to him last cruise but, honestly, it didn’t matter as he didn’t use it anyway! At about 7 pm we all met up again and went down to play TV Tunes Trivia in Crown & Fin.

Drinks and snacks for everyone while we played. :woohoo:

We were pretty hungry as we hadn’t eaten anything since lunch and so we ordered the Bavarian pretzels. They were good, but I preferred it when the food in there was free! :lmao: I’m really hoping that it will come back at some point. ::yes::

We did fairly well at trivia considering most of us are English, but a lot of the stuff was played in the UK as well. A none-too-shabby 8 out of 15 for us.

We went straight to dinner and tonight we were in Tiana’s. Ariel and Belle were still waving and greeting as we walked by. :wave2: They also had an awesome piano player that played both in the lobby and also at the newly added piano in Tritons.

Last edited:

We had Maggie as our server this time around, and we met I Kadek as our assistant server. Having just stuffed pretzels with cheese and mustard down, we weren’t super hungry. Scott had the duck terrine and shrimp, and I had the crab dip and mushroom soup.

The music was really loud this evening, and even the servers had a hard time hearing. :listen::listen::listen: There was a lot of "huh", "what did you say", "I didn't hear that, say it again" going on. I think it really depends on where your table is as to the volume level. Here’s some quick snaps of Tiana (awful pic but the only one I got) and the Crawfish Crooners. Do you think they put in the advert for singers that they have to have really skinny legs?? :rotfl2: All the previous singers have had equally skinny legs going on. :goodvibes

We got several desserts to share. Banoffee pie, flourless chocolate cake, berry financier and tiramisu. The banoffee pie is always the hands-down winner for me here.

We got through dinner fairly quickly and there was a Pub Quiz trivia in Crown & Fin at 9:30 pm so we left the dining room in just enough time to make it. :goodvibes We did really well and tied for first place, but lost it when we had to guess the hosts height. :laughing: The host was Robyn, who is really vertically challenged, and we were trying to be nice by saying 5 ft, so we lost that one big time! :rotfl2: Mum and Maureen went to bed after trivia but Paul, Scott, and I went to try our hand at 70’s music trivia in Azure. :teeth: Molly from Saffron Walden was the host.

Scott is amazing at 70’s and 80’s music trivia and with Paul helping him out we got 28 out of 30 and were the winners!!! :banana:

Here we are with our cute Mickey luggage tags as prizes.

Right as music trivia ended, they started the game show “Seriously!”.:love: Scott and I agreed to participate, which was probably a really bad mistake, as we are horrible at it. Plus we had to leave our drinks behind because we had to keep our masks on – double whammy! :cool: :rotfl:

We have played this game one time before, and it didn’t go any better this time around.

As usual we didn’t agree on very much of anything and so failed miserably at beating our opponents. :rotfl2:

It was gone 11 o’clock when we got back to the cabin and we were also losing an hour again tonight :faint: so it was about 12:15 am new time, when we were finally in bed. We had a dinosaur tonight as our bed-buddy.

Again the cabin was really quiet and the gentle rock made for another night of perfect sleep. :cloud9::cloud9:

Coming up: At sea day

Last edited:
Yay the whole gang is back together now!!! I love that you were off the ship for like, what - 90 minutes? for the b2b. Woohoo!!

Mum totally looks like she was asleep in trivia...must have been really concentrating :rotfl2:

I wonder if the music is so loud in Tianas because they are playing at the same volume they were when the dining rooms were full??:confused3 I love that restaurant but I've always found the music quite loud in there.

Yay the whole gang is back together now!!! I love that you were off the ship for like, what - 90 minutes? for the b2b. Woohoo!!

Mum totally looks like she was asleep in trivia...must have been really concentrating :rotfl2:

I wonder if the music is so loud in Tianas because they are playing at the same volume they were when the dining rooms were full??:confused3 I love that restaurant but I've always found the music quite loud in there.

The B2B process was really smooth considering the addition of the Covid testing. If we didn't have the wait in Azure before hand it would only have been about an hour. :goodvibes As for the music in Tiana's I really think it seems louder in some places, but when it was just Scott and I we didn't find it too bad because we were seated right next to each other. It's when there's a larger table and you are trying to shout across at people that it seems really loud. :laughing:

Wooohooo another trippie :cool1:

And a back to back! So jelly! :love: That's my goal someday! Nice that you were back on in 90 minutes even with the extra wait time at the beginning.

Wow, those dolphins!! Holy smokes! Those were amazing shots and so great they were jumping like that! We saw dolphins during our sail away too but not like that! :worship:

So great you got some family time in! :lovestruc

We didn't get the regular Tiana's menu so I missed that Banoffee dessert, I like it too! :thumbsup2

I hear you about the loud dining rooms! Holy cow, when they were playing their live music, we all just had to stop talking until they were done, we could not speak over it! They need to turn that down a few notches. ::yes::

Can't wait for the rest! :goodvibes

Wednesday, Dec 8th - At Sea

I woke up at about 7 am and tried my hardest to get back to sleep, but it wasn’t really working out so eventually I got up and snuck a photo outside as Scott was still asleep.

We were passing something in the distance that looked like a rig with a service ship close to it. In the early morning light it was hard to figure it out. :magnify:

It looked like it was going to be a decent day and the sea was very calm. :lovestruc

I got back into bed and read and we finally got up at about 8:30 am and ordered coffee from room service while we got ready. I never get tired of this view. :flower1:

And I never get tired of someone bringing my coffee to me!! ::yes::

I had booked us a Palo brunch this morning. I hadn’t been able to get Paul added to our reservation before we boarded so I had him booked at 10 am and us at 10:30 am. I was going to call and add him to our reservation but Palo called Paul yesterday right before sail away and said they could fit us all in at 10:00 am. Perfect. Quick selfie in the cabin while we were waiting, and, a good time to mention that the sofas all seemed to be brand new and hard as a rock to sit on!! :crazy2: The decorative pillows were gone as well, so you had to use a pillow off the bed if you wanted to be comfy. :teeth:

The navigator had a photo op on deck 10 starting at 9:30 am, and I managed to get everyone to agree to go up at 9:45 am and take a photograph before we went to Palo. It was a good idea, but it didn’t work out so well. It was SO windy up on deck 10 that the photograph was so hard to take. :rolleyes2 We had stuff flying away and the photographer had a really hard time getting something that didn’t look like we were completely windswept. Mum wasn’t impressed at all by the whole process, :rotfl: but in the end at least we got a photo of us all together!

The plan was to go straight to Palo, but the girls all needed to get our hair back under control so we popped back down to our cabins to rearrange ourselves from looking windswept – although the men didn’t have so many problems. :teeth: We got up to Palo right at 10 am and were seated with Duan again.

Scott did manage to get his traditional photo of the Palo plate, but I’m skipping it this time and putting this cute Christmas tree decoration here instead.

A round of mimosas for everyone, although Mum gave hers away (probably to me :drinking::rotfl:)

I got a picture of all the appetizer type stuff this time around. The top left is the seafood antipasto, middle top is the meat and cheese antipasto, and to the right of that a special plate for Scott because Duan remembered what he liked from our trip here a few days ago. The left basket is the bread and the bottom is the pastries. We had asked for blueberry muffins and almond croissants because they had been our favorites a few days ago, but they brought us a selection the first time.

Those croissants were to die for. :lovestruc They were warm and had marzipan in them. SO GOOD!! I had Eggs Benedict and the Rollatini Melazane. I’d never had the Rollatini before, and it was really good and a (fairly) light option, which can be a good thing at Palo! :thumbsup2

Scott had the snapper and the veal because he couldn’t decide between the two. :scratchin

We all split dessert - a tiramisu, a lemon tarte and a couple of panna cotta’s despite being absolutely stuffed! There is a lone blueberry muffin in this picture as well, and Mum took it to go because she said it was "too good to waste". ::yes::

It was another fantastic meal at Palo and, as I said before, I thought it was just as good without the buffet. I know people have mentioned that they don’t have the sticky buns any more, but we seldom ate those so we really didn’t miss them. The only thing I really would have liked to have had is some Boursin cheese - more first world problems and it’s not like I needed it – I had plenty of calories! :blush:

We came back down to the cabins to change and we hung out on the veranda for a little while watching the seas go by. Scott spotted some flying fish, and I managed to catch a glimpse of a couple of them, but they didn’t appear to be that many. The weather was gorgeous, although a little more cloudy than our first at sea day on the last cruise. The temperatures were better though, yesterday had been so cold.

There was another photo op in Tianas at 12:30 pm, that I coerced everyone to go to. ;) They made them all with special pixie dust – everyone was thrilled to get that done. :rotfl2: I did like that they put Ray up in the corner though - cute! ::yes::

Paul's face in this one is priceless.... :lmao:

Forced...I mean, coerced, photo session over :) the boys headed to the cabin to grab the backgammon set and go to Crown and Fin to play. We had asked if we had our own backgammon pieces if they would let us use the tables, as the playing pieces they usually have were not available now. They said that as long as we used our own it was OK. Luckily, we had decided to bring our own backgammon set just in case. :thumbsup2 The boys are very serious about their backgammon. :lmao: Mum, Maureen and I took a quick look at Shutters, but the wind blown photographs from deck 10 hadn’t show up yet. :blush: It's hard to resist these atrium photos when it's all decorated for Christmas. :lovestruc

Captain Hook was out and about as we made our way across the ship. :tink:

We took a quick detour to the gift shop as we had been told by one of the crew yesterday that there was going to be a big sale on Christmas merchandise. We didn’t see anything on sale though. :scratchin But, there was a new Christmas ornament with the year on it that wasn’t on the last sailing and Mum very kindly bought that for me. :bounce: I'm really glad now that I was able to get that one, as the first one didn’t make it home before it shattered. :sad1: We didn’t see anything else that we couldn’t live without so we came back to the cabins. I wanted to catch up with my trip report, Maureen wanted to relax and reading her book, and Mum was just going to put her feet up and have a rest.

After getting caught up with my notes, I went down and joined the boys in Crown & Fin at about 2 PM. Moet Ice hit the spot nicely.

Scott was winning, much to Paul’s disgust, and they made it their last game, but we sat there talking for a little while.

It was now nap-thirty and time to go back to the cabins to recover from all the crazy busyness! :rotfl2: Scott started to watch something on TV and I decided to pop down to Guest Services to see if Bruno was there. He was working on the desk, soI went back and grabbed his chocolates (the second tin that Paul had brought onboard for me :goodvibes). I also had a card for Deniece who is a guest services manager. We met her a long time ago (I went and checked and it was Jan 2016!! :scared1::scared1: Holy **** that's way longer ago than I remember!!) when she helped us get off the ship in Tortola when Mum had a medical emergency. I had been trying to find her ever since, but she went to other ships and then went to work for Disney Shanghai (or Toyko – I don’t remember now). It was nice to finally manage to get her a card to tell her thank you and how much we appreciated all her help that day. :flower3::flower3::flower3: Bruno was very happy to get his chocolates and immediately hid them from the rest of guest services. :rotfl::rotfl2:

Scott came with me when I went back down and we ran into some characters while we were walking around.

Just as we got back to the cabin, Maureen texted to say that she was ordering room service and was taking orders. We got a couple of plates of wings and an all hands on deck plate to share but I didn’t get a photo – we were too busy eating it. :yay: We hung out on the verandas for a while. The sunset was starting but they the guys decided they wanted to play more backgammon, and I went to look at the photos in Shutters.

Last edited:
The lobby was really empty so I got a photo of Ariel as I passed through.

Busyness continued with backgammon.

The sunset looked like it was going to be a good one, and I managed to get some decent photos through the port hole. Going to deck 4 would have been WAYYYY too difficult!! :rotfl:

Das, the beverage manager from yesterday, had mentioned that the bartender in Crown & Fin made a really good Old Fashioned, so I decided to try one. It was really delicious, and they also gave me the horse from the stopper as it was the last pour from the bottle! The horses have a letter on them to spell out Blantons. This one had “S” – only 7 more to go! :lmao: I will also mention that the boys quickly decided to switch from beer to Old Fashioned's at this point and our bar tab managed to sky rocket. :laughing:

TV tunes trivia started at 7:30 pm and Mum and Maureen joined us down there, although we were terrible. A miserable 5 out of 15 tonight!

Everyone agreed, although reluctantly, to get some photographs taken in the atrium tonight. There were lots of people that had dressed up for optional formal night, and they had several different places set up with photographers to work your way around. I was shocked everyone agreed to do them all actually, but I wasn't going to complain! ;)

This one made me laugh because it's like the guys magically appeared. :laughing:

That was a lot of photos! I am still impressed they did them all. ::yes::

Tonight we were in Tritons, and Maggie gifted Scott with a bottle of the hot sauce from her home country of Trinidad. It’s called Berties and it’s made with Scotch Bonnet – I have no idea how he can eat stuff that hot but he loves it!! Maggie looks really good here - I love this photo of them. :thumbsup2 Scott always gets special treatment from her because he has been to Trinidad for work and the bonded over talking about familiar stomping grounds.

A not-so-great group photo, but I like to have them anyway.

While we were talking to Das yesterday, we talked about how much we love curry and tonight Maggie bought us some curry for dinner. We were a bit skeptical when she said it was a fish curry, as it’s not a traditional curry that we would eat but it was AMAZING! None of us could believe it was fish.

We also got chapatis and a vegetable curry, and some rice that I don’t have a photo of.

The bad part about the curry was this….we ate it ALL.. Ugg…we were so stuffed and miserable!!

The photographers came around the restaurant tonight but they didn’t come around nearly as frequently as they did on the 4 night.

The princesses walked around, although I was too slow to get a photo of Ariel, who was on a mission and walking really fast! 🧜‍♀️🧜‍♀️🧜‍♀️ Rapunzel and Belle were at a much more civilized pace. 😊

Scott and I both got the Grand Marnier soufflé for dessert, despite being stuffed from all the curry, 😜 and as usual it was excellent. <- 🤣 IYKYN

There was General Knowledge trivia at 9:30 pm, so we got wrapped up with dinner and headed back to Crown & Fin. By now the guys had the bar tenders looking out for them. LOL Maureen had a sore throat this evening and they made her an awesome hot toddy, and she got these cute Macarons with it.

We got 16 out of 35 in trivia, so it wasn’t exactly our best performance but it was fun. We definitely enjoy our trivia. ::yes::

Mum and Maureen decided to go to bed and the rest of us went to go and see Marcus Monroe who was a comedian and juggler and was on at 10:15 pm in Azure. He was funny, and it was nice to see a live act as I wasn’t expecting any based on what I had read prior to this cruise.

However, he was followed by our real reason for braving the late night!! British tunes trivia at 10:45 pm. :jumping1: Side note: A lot of the trivia sessions this cruise were scheduled really late and this was one of the few that we managed to stay up for! The pressure was on with this trivia though :bitelip::bitelip::bitelip: and we tied for first place with another team (who we are pretty sure also had some Brits.) Thankfully we were able to redeem ourselves by guessing the tiebreaker correctly this time around and we actually managed to win! :faint: DCL caps!! ::yes::

It was 11:30 pm when we finally got back upstairs to this little guy, and we were in bed very soon after that. Ahhh…another wonderful at-sea day behind us. :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Coming up: Cozumel (again)

Last edited:
What can I say, another fabulous sea day! :love: Congrats on finally winning a trivia :rotfl2:
Mmmm that curry looks yummy!

What can I say, another fabulous sea day! :love: Congrats on finally winning a trivia :rotfl2:
Mmmm that curry looks yummy!

I’d challenge anyone to not having a good At Sea day. 🤣 It would have been very embarrassing to have lost British music trivia. 🤪

Thursday, Dec 9th - Cozumel

After our second late night in a row it was a struggle to wake up this morning, but we finally managed to get moving at about 8:30 am. We had decided to not get off the ship today as there were supposed to be a lot of cruise ships in town. I had toyed with booking an excursion, but nothing really sounded good and walking around the shops wasn’t anything we were interested in. :snooty::snooty::goodvibes The Norwegian Joy was already docked next to us and so we all stood outside being nosey about what was going on as they were already disembarking passengers. There were also several ships down at the International Pier.

We texted the group and everyone was OK with going to Cabanas again this morning. It was a gorgeous day and the pool deck was looking very empty as we walked past so I assume a bunch of people were doing excursions.

I had Mum’s staple breakfast, which is muesli. She likes it because it’s similar to the breakfast she has every day at home and for me it was a change of pace and I really like it, I just easily get sidetracked by all the other options! :rotfl2:

We took our time over breakfast and eventually decided to go and see what was going on at Cove. By the time we got there it was almost 11 am and the loungers that were in the shade were all taken, but the group of chairs close to the bar were all open and it was a good alternative. As you can see, some of us were very relaxed. 😎😎

For some reason the Pina Colava was always calling me on this trip when we were by the pool. 🍹🍹 This one was just as good as all the others, and Maureen got one as well. Paul and Scott decided to go with a Bud Light this time around in the beer mug as a pre-noon drink. :upsidedow While we were sitting there Paul decided to go and see if the spa had any massage appointments, and he was able to book one for 11:45am. He said it was good but there was pressure at the end to try and get him to book another service by offering discounts etc. It's a shame when they spoil your nice relaxed vibe by being pushy - I get why they do it - but those massages are not cheap to begin with!

I just love this view. It makes me feel instantly relaxed just to look at it. :cloud9:

At about 1:15 pm we decided to give up our super comfy spots and go and grab a bite to eat. We walked down to the quick service area to see what would hit the spot. It was really warm by now so we found a seat in the shade close to the exit of Twist N Spout. It’s nice that everyone can pick something different from all the options there, but it was noisy with all the kids enjoying the splash zone and the music coming from Funnel vision. :jumping1: Mum and Maureen both got something from Daisy’s and Scott and I got a shawarma. :thumbsup2 Paul joined us from his massage and we ate fairly quickly to get away from the noise and the heat before heading down to the AC of our cabins. I grabbed an ice cream on the way back, but forgot to get a photo of all the food this time around. :blush: Scott and I toyed with the idea of going and seeing a movie, but the timing wasn’t great. Here are the movies they were showing on our cruise.

We decided to settle in and watch Bridge of Spies on the TV instead. I had never seen it and Scott didn’t mind watching it again. :happytv: As that ended we went out onto the veranda because the Norwegian Joy was having a real party down on the dock to welcome their guests back. party: There were a bunch of crew that were dancing and cheering for all the guests coming back. It looked like a lot of fun!

We decided to pop open some champagne that Paul had brought with him to keep up with all the fun that was going on!! It was some really good people watching as it got later into the afternoon and some of those that had been enjoying Cozumel’s adult beverages came back on board. :earseek::earseek::earseek: Entertainment factor 10 out of 10!! :rotfl2:

All aboard today was 4:45pm but the gangway was still down by 5 pm, and it didn’t look like we were going anywhere. :confused3 We sat outside and watched for a long time but the guys got bored and eventually went down to play backgammon. :rotfl:

The Norwegian Joy eventually left and our entertainment was over.

We were treated to a pretty sunset though!

It was about 7 pm when we finally left. Apparently there had been an announcement that we had missed that they were going to stay in Cozumel longer to do some required maintenance in the engine room, but of course we had missed it due to be outside and watching our neighbors roll back. :p

The girls went and joined the guys in Crown and Fin right after we left port. There was no early evening trivia tonight, which was disappointing. :sad1: They did have a trivia session at 10:45 pm, but we had no desire to stay up that late to play it. A glass of prosecco was tonight’s beverage of choice. :lovestruc

We sat in C&F for a little while and then took a slow walk to dinner stopping in Shutters to take a look at the photographs from last night. We were in Animator’s tonight and so it was on the way. When we got there, Maggie told us that she had ordered us ANOTHER curry tonight! :scared1::scared1::scared1: She said she had made it really small so we could order other things as well. :laughing: It was Lamb biryani and it was delicious - of course. I also really loved the bowls it was served in – I hadn’t seen them anywhere on the ship before that I could remember. :love:

I ordered some other things off the menu, just because we had missed out on some of our favorites with all the curry the past few nights. :teeth: Butternut squash soup and the herb crusted pork chop but I basically tasted them because I was so full at this point. :rolleyes1

Scott had the beef tenderloin.

We all split a sticky date pudding and a lemon ice box pie as well but we were really struggling with all the food at this point, although you'd never guess that by looking at all these photos!! :rotfl2:

Tonight’s show was what I call the “original” Animator’s show.

Cute as always and the main cheese made his appearance at the end with our trusty photographer managing to catch a couple of decent photos of him. :smickey::smickey:

Given the massive food-fest we had been enjoying, we decided to go for a walk on deck four after dinner just to try and walk a little of the food off. Complete exercise in futility, but it made us feel better! :laughing::laughing: It was a perfect temperature outside and breezy.

We were all tired tonight from our absolutely EXHAUSTING day!! :faint: ;):lmao: We were back in our cabins by 10 pm and this guy was waiting for us.

Here he is without his cool sunglasses. :cool2::cool2::cool2: He looks much sweeter without them. :goodvibes

Scott put on the TV for a while and I caught up with my trip report for a bit. It was about 11 pm when we got the lights turned out and settled down for the night. 😴

Coming up: Costa Maya

Last edited:
Wooo hooo, you won trivia! Congrats!!! :woohoo:

That sky in Cozumel, wow!!! 😍

Friday, Dec 10th - Costa Maya

I first woke up at about 4:30 am and the ship didn’t seem to be moving. :boat: Then at 5 am it sounded like the engines shut off as everything got really quiet, so I thought we had docked and I drifted back to sleep. I was really surprised to see that we were just docking when we actually got up. :blush: I guess they were just going really slowly. :confused3:confused3 Our cabin this time around was so quiet – it was really nice! ::yes::::yes:: It looked like it was a beautiful day and we popped outside to take a look as they were finishing docking at about 8 am.

The weather was gorgeous, not too hot and with a breeze, perfect day.

This looked like it had attempted to be a water park at some point, but we didn't see any sign of it being open. The beach area also was a half-finished project it seemed.

We ordered some coffee from room service while we were watching outside. :love:

Today we had originally booked a day at Maya Chan Beach Resort, :beach: but they had cancelled it about a week before us leaving because we were the only guests that had booked. It was a bit disappointing, but it’s an all-inclusive and so I couldn’t blame them really. We still planned to get off the ship, but just walk around a bit and get a margarita. :thumbsup2 Paul had never been to Mexico so we had to make sure we got off to at least say he had and you can’t go to Mexico without having a margarita. :yay: One more coastline picture before we headed off to breakfast.

Cabanas was the easy option for breakfast as it just suited everyone to be able to get whatever they wanted, when they wanted it. We weren't all hungry the minute we walked in, so breakfast was usually a leisurely start to the day. Scott’s plate and then mine. I must say that the eggs benedict were hit and miss as some days they seemed fairly fresh and other days they had obviously been sitting for quite a while - this one was pretty dried out.

I made up for the dried out eggs benedict with this. :rotfl:

We tried to join the virtual queue to get off the ship while we were in Cabanas but there wasn’t a wait at all and so we decided to try it again once we had gone back to the cabins to grab our things. When we were ready to debark we fired it up again and it immediately showed that we were cleared. I don’t know if you really need to use it if there’s no lines to get off, but we did anyway. :confused3 We went down to deck one forward to get off, they had two gangways open this morning. There was only one other family in front of us trying to get off the ship, but apparently they didn’t know that they couldn't take their unvaccinated children off the ship without a Disney excursion, and they were blocking both security lanes while they haggled with the security people. :cool: popcorn:: Cynical me says that they knew but they were just trying to get away with something. :lmao: I found it hard to believe that they would have no clue about any of it. :rolleyes: But…that’s cynical me 😊 and I'm sure that they had just never read anything on the DCL website before they got on the cruise. :teeth::teeth::teeth: The crew eventually asked them to step aside so that we could get off :thumbsup2 and we took a leisurely stroll down the pier.

Mum used the wheelchair today because the pier in Costa Maya is pretty long and there didn't seem to be any other type of transport available. It would have been a lot of walking with her walker.

What you see here is just about all of the port area. It was created just to attract tourists from the cruise ships, and there isn’t anything beyond it unless you have transport or have booked an excursion.

There were very few people getting off today. My guess is that most got off in Cozumel yesterday, and with the restrictions of people with kids were getting off having to do the DCL excursions the walk off people were few and far between. Quick backward looking pic.

The area to the left of the port with the lighthouse.

This mural is at the port entrance.

They also have this sign at the port entrance, but I can tell you that it means nothing. :rotfl: This was our third time here and the port is still difficult to navigate. They have made it so that you have to go through the shops to get anywhere. You had to walk through the duty free shop from here to get into the shopping area which was a bit confusing as there was nothing to say it was the exit. :scratchin:scratchin

It’s a small set up with a few shops with standard souvenir stuff. It was really quiet with hardly anyone there, and the only people trying to get you to buy anything was a massage/spa type place and they weren't aggressive about it at all. All the other shops left us alone, which was nice.

We wandered around a little bit until we came across a nice open air restaurant with lots of space to sit in the shade. We grabbed a table and Scott went to take some photographs as right in front of us was the dolphin swim. I must say it looked really small, and the groups seemed to be sent through it really quickly.

There is a really nice free pool in the port though, and we saw several people using it. I can imagine it’s a happening spot when there are more people around and it's probably a good way to have a cheap day there.

The open air restaurant we were at seemed to be getting almost all of the walk up people from the ship, and if anyone tried to sit at the other places the guys from here were pretty aggressive at trying to get them to sit with them. I can only imagine how little money they are making compared to pre-Covid. :( We could really feel the breeze here and it was a great place to camp out for a bit. :flower1:

We all got a margarita for the first drink - except Mum, she stuck with bottled water from the ship. They seemed to only come in the souvenir glasses, although if you spoke Spanish you could probably do something different. :P

The boys were given these plastic glasses.

And the girls were given these. :scared1::rolleyes1:lmao: Palm leaves…..on top of a ???????? :faint::faint::faint: Oh yeah, palm tree…riiiiiighhht. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

The boys each had a couple of beers after the margarita and then we did a bit of shopping on the way back. Mum and I wanted Christmas ornaments so we pretty much cleaned out the one giftshop where we found some. Even the vendor got confused on what his "special price" should be. :rotfl: There was this nice looking beachy area as you walked back that looked like it was associated with one of the restaurants, but I couldn’t figure out which one. As you can see it's completely empty.

Heading back to the ship.

The coastline here is a mix of small beaches and rocky outcrops. If they could get the beach next to the port finished and cleaned up they would probably make a killing.

[

[

Obligatory photographs of getting back to the ship were taken – of course. You feel like you are missing out if you don’t take them! :rotfl:

It took a while to get a good one of us all, and this was the best of the bunch. 🤣

I guess we took a lot of photos because it was the only time we got off the ship. :rotfl2:

And an artsy one I tried to take. It makes the ship look really dull in color though so probably not so "artsy" after all. :rolleyes1

There was no wait to get on the ship at all and we were walking on by 12:45 pm. We went back to the cabins to have a little regroup to figure out what we wanted to do next. Here’s a photo of the ornament that Mum bought me. Blue on one side and yellow on the other, I thought it was really cute. :lovestruc

The end decision was to put on bathing suits and head up to Cove and see what was going on up there. The pool was pretty busy of course as I think most people had stayed on the ship. There were no chairs in the shade but our seats from yesterday by Signals were open and so we settled in there. :goodvibes My staple drink….again.

Ahhh…so relaxing. ::yes::

We all made trips down to the quick service places to get a bite to eat for lunch and bring it back to eat. Maureen, Paul and Scott got in the pool for a while and Mum and I decided to go back to the cabins. I have to add this photo in here for the benefit of my family as we make fun of Paul because he is such a wriggle butt and this chair was no exception. :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper: Paul. Was. Here. :lmao:

Mum wanted to put her feet up and do some knitting in their cabin, and I read my book and got caught up with my trip report. :flower:

There was a knock at the door and room service delivered some chocolate covered strawberries from guest services, aww, a nice surprise from Deniece. And now I’m writing this, I remember that she came and said hello to us at dinner a couple of nights before. She said she remembered us, but I always wonder if they really do – they see SO many people, but it was good to see her again. I found out later on that Mum and Maureen got some as well. :lovestruc

At about 4 pm I went back up to join the others as they had decided to play backgammon up there. It was a great spot to sit and play it actually, breezy and a lovely temperature. It made a change from Crown & Fin. Guess who was winning. :rotfl:

Another Pina Colava for me and I sigh at the calories as I post all these photos, but they are SOOOOO good. :goodvibes

We stayed for about 45 minutes and then went to see what was going on with sail away. The captain came on and said they there were going to be continuing the engine room maintenance and that we would be leaving at 7 pm again. Time to have a cold glass of vino on the verandah while we were watching. :cheer2:

The boys wanted to go down to Crown & Fin and I wanted to take a shower so we all went our separate ways for a bit. Our shower wasn’t working great - it hadn’t been the entire trip so far. It only had cold water for about 30 seconds and then it was just HOT. :scared1: Today it was really bad and I had a hard time getting my hair rinsed out without feeling like I was going to be poached!! :laughing: Once I got finished I found Dean outside and he had maintenance come and look at it. It didn’t take them long to fix it. I should have said something sooner rather than suffer through it - Britishness strikes again. ;):laughing:

Mum, Maureen and I went to meet the boys for music trivia at 7:30 pm, which turned into musicALS trivia and we were horrible at it. :rotfl: I don’t even have a photo of our score but it was abysmal. We all said we should have had Paul's wife, Belinda, as our phone a friend. ::yes:: So, with the awful trivia session over we made our way to dinner in Tiana’s with the Mardi Gras menu.

I had the shrimp and grits and Scott had the tuna tartare.

Then I had the artichoke ravioli and Scott had the prime rib.

The parade had some guests joining in this time, which hadn’t happened on the cruise before, and it was little more fun, like the typical party atmosphere in there.

Maggie – who somehow always has the parasol. :umbrella: :umbrella:

The photographer came around tonight as it was “pirate night”. Maggie had told us there was no pirate menu this cruise but I no idea why they had it on the 4 night and not the 6? :confused3

I managed to get everyone to take some more photos in the atrium, although they were really keen on us doing some goofy ones, which don’t work well if you aren’t really into that kind of thing (everyone EXCEPT Scott and I – ha ha), so those didn’t come out great, but this one was decent.

Mum and Maureen were done for the night and went back to their cabin while Scott, Paul and I decided to go to 80’s music trivia. Azure wasn’t open when we go there so we popped into Crown & Fin where Robyn was hosting another TV tunes trivia. 80’s music trivia began at 10:15 pm but it conflicted with the firework show at 10:30 pm so there weren’t many people there. Despite having said we would go to the fireworks this cruise, we just couldn't be bothered. We are so lazy!! :rotfl:

We got 28 out of 30 but our “British tunes” trivia arch enemies were there :rotfl: and we lost to them in the “guess my age” tie breaker. :rolleyes: Match Your Mate started at 10:45 and while it’s funny when there’s a crowd, with so few people it didn’t really float our boat tonight. We were back in our cabin and settling in by 11 pm and were greeted by a pirate monkey tonight. pirate:pirate:

We also had the clocks going back an hour so we were going to get our extra of sleep back. :cool1: The ship had a really nice gentle rock again tonight…ahh...perfect sleeping awaits! :cloud9::lovestruc:cloud9:

Coming up: At Sea Day

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter