Washing machine recommendations

mommy2allyandaveri

DIS Veteran
Looks like I will be replacing my washer. I want something medium to large size, reliable that will last forever, and of course I don't want to spend a fortune. There are a zillion out there. My whirlpool lasted about 15 years.

Look at a Speed Queen, then. Those are still solidly built, a pretty basic machine that doesn't have an app to control it remotely or Alexa. I'm not kidding. You actually can get a washer with Alexa capability. To listen to music while loading/unloading, I guess.

The drawback to Speed Queens will be the price, over $1000 for the washer alone.

The HEs made now rarely last more than 5-7 years, our repair tech told me. The first lasted about 7 years, the second barely 2--not unusual, said the tech. (That's for just us two, running no more than 4 loads per week usually.)

The good ol' days of the lonely Maytag repair guy are over.

I wish you luck finding something reasonably priced and reliable.

Last edited:
I got a new Maytag washer and dryer a little over 2 years ago. I am not happy with either of them. I never feel like my clothes get very clean (some things go through 2-3 times with detergent directly on the stain). And the dryer seems to think 2 - 1 hour drying cycles is what it takes to dry things. I am counting on them dying in about 7-8 years so I can be rid of them both. My previous washer/dryer was Whirlpool (or Kenmore maybe) I believe and lasted 15 years.

Look at a Speed Queen, then. Those are still solidly built, a pretty basic machine that doesn't have an app to control it remotely or Alexa. I'm not kidding. You actually can get a washer with Alexa capability. To listen to music while loading/unloading, I guess.

The drawback to Speed Queens will be the price, over $1000 for the washer alone.

The HEs made now rarely last more than 5-7 years, our repair tech told me. The first lasted about 7 years, the second barely 2--not unusual, said the tech. (That's for just us two, running no more than 4 loads per week usually.)

The good ol' days of the lonely Maytag repair guy are over.

I wish you luck finding something reasonably priced and reliable.
Second vote for the Speed Queen.

I got a new Maytag washer and dryer a little over 2 years ago. I am not happy with either of them.
That's what our 2.5-year-old dead washer is, a Maytag Bravos.

I grew to hate it, because HEs make the weirdest noises and take over an hour to wash practically anything. The noise drove me battier than I already was.

I'm really enjoying the commercial Speed Queens in our apartment complex's laundry room. Simple, basic, and a 30-minute cycle for most. That's what we're buying, a Speed Queen Classic. No dispensers to gum up, 6 cycles and that's that.

I discovered Speed Queens at the laundromat I used when my short-lived LG machine pooped out.
Prior to the unreliable LG I had a gross Samsung front loader—pricey machine, grew mold (that might’ve been the next miracle drug) in the door gasket. And no way to effectively clean it out.
Speed Queen at my house is now about five years old 🤞🏻.

I just replaced my Cabrio set with the Speed Queen T7. I am convinced for 7 years I have not had clean laundry! Love my speed queens.

I've had my set for about 2 weeks and mine came with a 7-year warranty on both the washer and dryer. It was about 2500 for the set before tax but that isn't as bad as replacing a high-end washing machine every few years, which is what I was about to do.

My next washer will be Speed Queen with matching dryer.
The only thing stopping me is moving the old set out and moving the new in .
I live in a Townhome … why would anybody put a washer/dryer upstairs in third floor?
I just moved in and third trip already for wash repairman for the not very old Amana that was already here.
It will just stop working and I have to let it rest. And then carefully
Openand Close lid 6 times to “wake” up the command to start.
Feel so stupid but it seems to work twice now. At least I don’t have to call repairman again.

And don’t ever install a toilet seat from Home Depot under their “signia brand“ Glacier Bay . I guess the previous owner installed 2 of them and they are really crappy ! If I win the lottery ….the first thing I would do is remove them ! Haha And then buy the Speed Queens .

Last edited:
I live in a Townhome … why would anybody put a washer upstairs in third floor?
I just moved in and third trip already for wash repairman for the not very old Amana that was already here.
Feel so stupid but it seems to work twice now. At least I don’t have to call repairman again.

And don’t ever install a toilet seat from Home Depot under their “signia brand“ Glacier Bay . I guess the previous owner installed 2 of them and they are really crappy ! If I win the lottery ….the first thing I would do is remove them ! Haha
Most appliance companies offer installation and removal of your old set. Not trying to enable you or anything 🙂 My laundry is on the second floor because all of our bedrooms are on the second floor.

Except for the problem in this neighborhood… plastic pvc piping is having to be totally removed from homes because they are cracking and Have been warned by Professional plumber .
Treat your pipes very delicately,

Last edited:
I love my Speed Queen set! Yes, it was expensive but it was made in the USA and worth paying extra. I love that. Hat tip to those in Missouri, IIRC. It's a simple top load that's around 8 years old now. Back then it was their top of the line which was only 3 models to choose from, for top loaders, that is and I felt that was plenty. I thought I'd want the delayed start, so I could get it ready to wash at night before bed but not actually wash until morning, so it wasn't sitting wet all night getting stinky. This was the one feature that convinced me to get the top of the line, otherwise I would have bought the mid grade. Turns out I rarely now use that feature.
When I want a full load of piping hot water filled to the top, it doesn't tell me no. Dh repairs equipment at a sewage treatment plant so I don't want some overly techy thing telling me I can't use more water due to the weight of his work clothes. Not a single drop of water that I use for laundry ever leaves this earth.

I live in a Townhome … why would anybody put a washer/dryer upstairs in third floor?

And don’t ever install a toilet seat from Home Depot under their “signia brand“ Glacier Bay . I guess the previous owner installed 2 of them and they are really crappy ! If I win the lottery ….the first thing I would do is remove them ! Haha And then buy the Speed Queens .
Why would anyone NOT want their W/D upstairs with their bedrooms? Would you rather hump 10 loads/week up and down 2 flights of stairs? :confused:

Also HD sells decent toilet seats for around $40-50. No need to wait until you hit the lottery. :goodvibes:thumbsup2
If you want better quality than what HD sells, try a plumbing supply store. That's where professionals shop and they usually have higher standards than the typical DIY-er that shops at HD.

Another vote for Speed Queen! After having replaced 2 Maytag washing machines in the last 20 years that lasted only 5 to 7 years each and would have required expensive repairs, we decided to give the Speed Queen a try and have been extremely happy with it.

Why would anyone NOT want their W/D upstairs with their bedrooms? Would you rather hump 10 loads/week up and down 2 flights of stairs? :confused:
Well, if you watch any of those renovation shows you will see the so called experts try and talk people out of putting the washer and dryer anywhere but the lowest floor. One water leak, and you destroy the floor below the washer, the ceiling under it, and the floor below that.
But I never would have anything but a single story house, so I really don't have a horse in the race. But I do appreciate that the washer and dryer as on the opposite end of the house from the bedrooms so you can do laundry when people are sleeping without disturbing them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter