Washing machine recommendations

Well, if you watch any of those renovation shows you will see the so called experts try and talk people out of putting the washer and dryer anywhere but the lowest floor. One water leak, and you destroy the floor below the washer, the ceiling under it, and the floor below that.
But I never would have anything but a single story house, so I really don't have a horse in the race. But I do appreciate that the washer and dryer as on the opposite end of the house from the bedrooms so you can do laundry when people are sleeping without disturbing them.
I see. I've never had a washer leak but I imagine it could do a lot of damage.

I agree about the single floor living. I grew up in a rancher and as a child wished we had stairs until I moved out and had our own. Four years later we bought a rancher. I'll never go back.
My parents had 2 homes (now just my dad) and both have laundry rooms that enter from the master bedroom. He worked in construction and made them that way for my mom, so I guess it's a matter of preference.

Yup, I hated that feature on the two Maytags, which were toploaders even.

Another bonus to Speed Queen toploaders--no lid lock.
Ugh, that would be a dealbreaker for me.

I replaced my 20 year old Maytag with a new Maytag "Commercial" machine and it's been holding up just fine.

my washer has a lock so you can't add anything to drum once it starts. HATE IT.

Yup, I hated that feature on the two Maytags, which were toploaders even.

Another bonus to Speed Queen toploaders--no lid lock.

Right there with both of you. Mine is a toploader and now has a lock and I hate it! It locks once the water is done filling when it hits the wash cycle. There is a button that says pause that if I hit a couple times will stop the washer and I can add something.

Looks like I will be replacing my washer. I want something medium to large size, reliable that will last forever, and of course I don't want to spend a fortune. There are a zillion out there. My whirlpool lasted about 15 years.
I love my Whirlpool until it died. Lasted about 15 yrs. Got LG thru Lowes and I was scared. So far so good, but when we do have to replace, I'm going back to Whirlpool or Speed Queen.

Interesting I stumbled across this. We've been discussing getting a new set. Our washer was part of a tiny stackable apartment size set and dryer was a $25 used purchase from a friend 5 years ago when she upgraded. We've added 2 more kids since then and have outgrown our washer.

Looks like Speed Queen is the clear winner. I'm totally fine paying higher prices for quality. Sometimes investing in high quality is "cheaper" than getting a cheaper set and replacing in 3 years.

We replaced our Whirlpool Duet front-loader (14 years old) this past autumn with an Electrolux (also a front-load). Got a great deal on it as the store couldn't get washers for nearly a year due to supply issues and when they were finally available again, they ordered too many & didn't sell them as fast as they thought they would. Anyway, Electrolux was not a brand I was familiar with for washing machines, but we took a gamble and so far so good. We are a household of 3 adults and since mid-Dec have had 5 adults (other 2 DDs home for college break) and I would say it has been running 7-10 loads a week. When I get in a laundry groove I might do 4-5 loads in a single day (I know I'm weird; I sort into lots of specific loads). It has a 20-min quick wash cycle which I really like for certain things, and several other functions I was looking for (rinse and spin; drain and spin, hand-wash, etc.). Just to throw another brand out there.

Before you buy the speed queen, research the model. We bought a set without doing the research. I always wanted one. Assumed it was still a great machine. We had major issues with it. It was a newer design. The washer didn't get enough water in it and my clothes had lines of dirt. They also had issues with the dryer and we're having to replace the drums. This is known by speed queen and there is stuff all over the internet about it.The company was nasty and treated me terribly. I was shocked to be honest after hearing such good things for so many years. They offered to buy them back from me but for a fraction of what I paid. The store I purchased it from actually bought it back from me for the total cost. It took me 8 months to get it handled. I bought an Electrolux that came recommended on consumer reports and it has been wonderful.

That's what our 2.5-year-old dead washer is, a Maytag Bravos.

I grew to hate it, because HEs make the weirdest noises and take over an hour to wash practically anything. The noise drove me battier than I already was.

I'm really enjoying the commercial Speed Queens in our apartment complex's laundry room. Simple, basic, and a 30-minute cycle for most. That's what we're buying, a Speed Queen Classic. No dispensers to gum up, 6 cycles and that's that.
The Maytag Bravos is the absolute worst. Finally just got rid of ours after 13 months. Will never buy another Maytag or Whirlpool appliance again.

Before you buy the speed queen, research the model. We bought a set without doing the research. I always wanted one. Assumed it was still a great machine. We had major issues with it. It was a newer design. The washer didn't get enough water in it and my clothes had lines of dirt. They also had issues with the dryer and we're having to replace the drums. This is known by speed queen and there is stuff all over the internet about it.The company was nasty and treated me terribly. I was shocked to be honest after hearing such good things for so many years. They offered to buy them back from me but for a fraction of what I paid. The store I purchased it from actually bought it back from me for the total cost. It took me 8 months to get it handled. I bought an Electrolux that came recommended on consumer reports and it has been wonderful.
Its not just speed queen having this issue. The water issue is because of the new EPA water regulations. Reason we got rid of our Maytag Bravos was the same reasons you had. Plus soap residue was left all over the clothes. Heck towards the end I was using a teaspoon of soap and it still would not all come out. Its because without an agitator and just that stupid was plate design there was nothing to pull the clothes down into the water. My fault really for not thinking that through before we bought.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter