Vintage resort pics?

I've actually tried to do a bit of research in that past on the history of the Golf Resort/Disney Inn/Shande of Green. It's the only on-site resort I've ever stayed at. Once as the Golf resort in 1979, and once as the Shades of Green in 2008 (will be there again this summer). For anyone interested, here's some of the history that I was able to paste together:

History of the Shades of Green on Walt Disney World Resort
When the Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom opened in October of 1971, two championship golf courses opened nearby, the Magnolia and the Palm. On December 15, 1973, at the site of the courses’ club house, The Golf Resort opened with 125 guest rooms and a swimming pool, the Magnolia Pool. A restaurant called the Magnolia Room was known for their French Fried Ice Cream dessert. The Players Lounge was overlooking the Magnolia Golf Course.

On February 1, 1986, the resort was reopened under a new name, The Disney Inn, and with a new theme, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The resort had been renovated and expanded to 288 rooms, and added a second swimming pool, the Mill Pond Pool. The Garden Gallery restaurant opened along with The Back Porch, a snack bar called the Diamond Mine, and a poolside bar called the Sand Trap.

In 1989, a third golf course was added next to the Magnolia course. The Oak Trail golf course is a nine-hole, par-36 walking course.

The U.S. Military began leasing the property on February 1, 1994, and started offering it’s rooms exclusively to U.S. service members and their families and various other categories of Department of Defense employees as part of their Morale, Welfare and Recreation program. On January 12, 1996, the Department of Defense purchased the resort and renamed it Shades of Green.*

After continued occupancy rates in the 90-99% range, on January 4, 2002, Shades of Green announced a major remodeling and expansion project. On April 1, 2002, the resort closed for construction. During the closure, guests with reservations were accommodated at the Contemporary Resort’s North Garden Wing (their reservation rates were honored, but they were charge an additional 11% sales tax). The Shades of Green ticket office was also temporarily moved to the Contemporary Resort.

On March 31, 2004, Shades of Green re-opened with 586 guest rooms, a new lobby area, a new ball room, a new signature restaurant called Manginos, a new parking garage, and new landscaping. The Garden Gallery was preserved, and other new dining and shopping options opened: Evergreens Sports Bar and Grill, Express Café, Eagles Lounge, Lava Café, America the Ice Cream Parlour, and AAFES convenience store, and an Armed Forces Recreation Center gift shop called East Meets West.

* I found conflicting accounts on this: one report says the U.S. Military paid $43 million for a 100-year lease from Disney in 1996.

I'd love to see any photos of the Shades of Green before it was Shades of Green. My parents can't find any photos from our Golf Resort stay, and I've never been able to find much of anything from the Disney Inn days.

I have a glossy "coffee table" book of Disney that was printed in the late 80's. It shows photos of The Disney Inn and everything else that was there at that time. Its the oddest book, in that it is the ONLY book I've ever seen without a library of congress catalog number or any copywrite date at all. However, I either bought it in 1984 or 1990 as that is the closest dates that I was there to when the books appears to have been written.

thanks to everyone who posted. I see I was not crazy for remembering that people swam in the lakes! I have no photo from my childhood visits because my dad always did slides, and I have no idea whatever became of them. My parents and grandparents are all gone now. For some reason, when I visited with a friend in 1984, in college, we didn't bring a camera!? What were we thinking. I have no photos until my first family trip with DH and my oldest DD in 1990 when she was 2.

I have a glossy "coffee table" book of Disney that was printed in the late 80's. It shows photos of The Disney Inn and everything else that was there at that time. Its the oddest book, in that it is the ONLY book I've ever seen without a library of congress catalog number or any copywrite date at all. However, I either bought it in 1984 or 1990 as that is the closest dates that I was there to when the books appears to have been written.

thanks to everyone who posted. I see I was not crazy for remembering that people swam in the lakes! I have no photo from my childhood visits because my dad always did slides, and I have no idea whatever became of them. My parents and grandparents are all gone now. For some reason, when I visited with a friend in 1984, in college, we didn't bring a camera!? What were we thinking. I have no photos until my first family trip with DH and my oldest DD in 1990 when she was 2.

Whoa. That book sounds awesome. When I was a kid, our parents took me and my brother to the Disney Inn. We usually stayed in Value Resorts, but it seems like I remember Disney calling my Dad and offering us an upgrade.

We had a room right on a beautiful fairway on the ground level. I was absolutely enthralled with this little resort. Mainly because I had been so infatuated with the Seven Dwarves mythology. It was very nice and I recall the bunnies being so tame as they would come right up to our sliding glass doors. It had sort of a rustic feel with dimly lit hallways and such; it was awesome.

We would've visited right around 1990, I guess. I remember when we first pulled up, and I saw the resort sign with Sleepy on it (I think) yawning carrying a little candle and wearing a night cap.(guess that would have to be Sleepy!) That excited me to no end!

But sorry, I don't have pictures...:eek:

Whoa. That book sounds awesome. When I was a kid, our parents took me and my brother to the Disney Inn. We usually stayed in Value Resorts, but it seems like I remember Disney calling my Dad and offering us an upgrade.

We had a room right on a beautiful fairway on the ground level. I was absolutely enthralled with this little resort. Mainly because I had been so infatuated with the Seven Dwarves mythology. It was very nice and I recall the bunnies being so tame as they would come right up to our sliding glass doors. It had sort of a rustic feel with dimly lit hallways and such; it was awesome.

We would've visited right around 1990, I guess. I remember when we first pulled up, and I saw the resort sign with Sleepy on it (I think) yawning carrying a little candle and wearing a night cap.(guess that would have to be Sleepy!) That excited me to no end!

But sorry, I don't have pictures...:eek:

Are you sure you usually stayed at Value Resorts? The first Value Resort opened in April 1994. The Disney Inn became Shades of Green in February 1994. I was just curious because I knew 1990 couldn't be right if you stayed at Value Resorts.

Are you sure you usually stayed at Value Resorts? The first Value Resort opened in April 1994. The Disney Inn became Shades of Green in February 1994. I was just curious because I knew 1990 couldn't be right if you stayed at Value Resorts.

Oh, well maybe not then. We usually stayed at CBR...which I now realize is a moderate. I'm a dumb dumb, thanks for the correction!

It seemed like we did get some sort of call, though. Was Disney Inn also considered a moderate? Maybe they just needed to move us for some reason. Or maybe my Dad just told me it was an upgrade...

No you're not a dumb dumb. I was just curious about where you stayed, that's all. I didn't mean to make you feel dumb.

I think Disney Inn would have been an upgrade from a Mod.

You're actually right, because when CBR was first built it was a value resort (the only one). Then when the All Stars were buillt, CBR was bumped up to a moderate. :goodvibes

You're actually right, because when CBR was first built it was a value resort (the only one). Then when the All Stars were buillt, CBR was bumped up to a moderate. :goodvibes

That would explain it then. When I think of Values I think of the 4 current Values. This would make sense because CBR was the first non-Deluxe resort.
Sorry for the thread drift people.

Wow... that's interesting. My glossy book with no copyright was probably written in the late 80's because it included The Disney Inn, Caribbean Beach, The Disney Village and the Disney Marketplace, River Country, the segment on MK includes the Sky Way thingie and 20,000 Leagues, AND MGM Studios. The only trip I made to Disney (I know :scared1:) between 1984 and 2000 was in March 1990. So, that would make the book written in late 80's. Probably right after MGM opened. The pictures have to be a stand in for family pics I don't have anymore. I wish my I knew whatever happened to my father's slides that he would have taken of our trips in the early 70's. I never even got to stay ON property until our family trip with my kids in 2005.:eek: Now I wouldn't want to do it any other way!:dance3:

Wow... that's interesting. My glossy book with no copyright was probably written in the late 80's because it included The Disney Inn, Caribbean Beach, The Disney Village and the Disney Marketplace, River Country, the segment on MK includes the Sky Way thingie and 20,000 Leagues, AND MGM Studios. The only trip I made to Disney (I know :scared1:) between 1984 and 2000 was in March 1990. So, that would make the book written in late 80's. Probably right after MGM opened. The pictures have to be a stand in for family pics I don't have anymore. I wish my I knew whatever happened to my father's slides that he would have taken of our trips in the early 70's. I never even got to stay ON property until our family trip with my kids in 2005.:eek: Now I wouldn't want to do it any other way!:dance3:

If you don't quit talking about that book, I'm gonna run my head through some drywall over here! you better let me know if you ever decide to ebay that thing.

I love stuff like that...I especially love old pictures of River Country. I even love the ones that have surfaced in the last few years since it's been abandoned. Fascinating!

According to a thread I was reading the other day, CBR opened on Oct. 1, 1988. I know that MGM opened on May 1, 1989 and we stayed at CBR for a week starting on May 5, 1989. We were young with 2 small children and we were so happy that they had built a "value" resort that we could afford. I wish I could remember what we paid per night. I do remember that after a few days we wanted to add an extra night to our trip but they were fully booked up, so we had to go offsite for the last night.

We stayed at CBR on our honeymoon back in June of 1991. I remember we paid $89 a night and for us (just young kids back then) it felt like a lot of money.

Best part of all was that for the second week of our honeymoon trip we stayed at the GF and got a special "Honeymoon Rate" of $175 a night for a lagoon view room. I laugh when I think about how expensive that sounded back then. $175 for Disney's flagship deluxe resort!!

And I remember how boring MGH Studios was back then. Just a lot of production type rides like "Sounds Dangerous". Too funny.

Jay

The only pictures I have from inside our CBR room are these two:

They installed the mini-bars while we were staying there but we were watching our money so didn't indulge. :rolleyes1

And yes, even back then people left Disney animals etc. in the windows of their rooms.

Untitled-124ed.jpg

Oh THE MINI BAR! I stayed at CBR when I was 18 with my boyfriend who was 19. We bought some CBR mugs and used to take the beer from the mini bar and put it in the mugs and walk around the resort! haha naughty naughty!! The nice mousekeeper refilled the bar everyday!:laughing:

Oh THE MINI BAR! I stayed at CBR when I was 18 with my boyfriend who was 19. We bought some CBR mugs and used to take the beer from the mini bar and put it in the mugs and walk around the resort! haha naughty naughty!! The nice mousekeeper refilled the bar everyday!:laughing:

and how much did that little aventure cost ya LOL

or did you think it was put there out of the goodness of Disney's heart:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Awesome pics! I love the Papeete Bay Verandah one esp. and seeing the old Contemporary and the Poly is great!!

I gotta ask. That was 1988... whatever happened to that little child in the wheelchair? What a charming face! :hug:

I don't actually know, but thanks for asking. My wife's aunt (closest to the camera) was a special ed teacher in Wisconsin and that was one of her students. She taught many of the students songs and they would go around to sing in concerts. They were there to perform at the Magic Kingdom as part of Disney's Magical Music Days and so we went to visit her and listen to the children.

Awesome pics! I love the Papeete Bay Verandah one esp. and seeing the old Contemporary and the Poly is great!!

Just try to google photos for Papeete Bay Verandah. There are none. I'm sure there are some photos out there. I'd love to see more.

I don't actually know, but thanks for asking. My wife's aunt (closest to the camera) was a special ed teacher in Wisconsin and that was one of her students. She taught many of the students songs and they would go around to sing in concerts. They were there to perform at the Magic Kingdom as part of Disney's Magical Music Days and so we went to visit her and listen to the children.

Wow... how very special and so Disney. Your wife's aunt must be a very special person. I just found that child's face so engaging and charming. I don't know why. You just want to give him/or her (can't really tell) a hug!:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter