Totally Disgusted!

Yes I have priced out rooms in different areas. I ran the numbers from my 2017 travel and I discovered that I paid an average of 163 dollars per night including taxes and fees. ( I didn't have the numbers for just the rack rates, I went by the final charge on the credit card). This is for travel from Virginia in the south near DC to Rhode Island. (Mixed business and vacation travel, excluding Disney hotels since we are comparing rates to them) Not once in any of those stays (or so far this year) did I experience a room that was not cleaned or stocked properly.

I don't care how much or how little you pay for a room, there is no excuse for it not being cleaned and stocked appropriately. In my opinion Disney rooms are not a bargain at the prices they are charging, this in spite of the now poor quality amenities (problems with buses to the parks, and food courts) food trays left in the hallways for DAYS at the deluxes and groups of teens running unsupervised around resorts at night, etc.

If I am reading correctly, you seem to have the idea that it's OK for guests to put up with this because they are at Disney. That totally mystifies me. I wouldn't buy a car from Disney and then when I discovered that it didn't run correctly say, "Well that's OK, I bought it from Disney!". Disney management has a responsibility to provide rooms that are up to industry standards. More and more we are hearing about and experiencing for ourselves that this is not the case.

I'll say it again that Disney Management is allowing this to happen.

Management is depending that there will be people like you that say that it's ok that I overpaid for my room and got a poor quality experience.
That's more profit for the company and these days profit is the first and foremost consideration of the Disney company. Gone are the days when Disney was concerned about quality. Disney's focus these days is to minimize quality and maximize profit. We have been watching Disney make a concerted effort to do this in many different ways these last few years.

It's gotten to the point that when my neighbors ask me about going I have to have the "talk" with them. That is when I tell them they will be ripped off at every turn. That they will pay premium prices for a low quality experience. That the possibility exists that Disney will require you to pay full price for a park ticket and then run the park at diminished capacity so you will have to stand in line even longer for rides and attractions. I have to tell them that their resort room might be dirty or under stocked upon check in and how they have to spend their vacation time herding Disney into fixing problems that they should not even be experiencing in the first place. I have to tell them that they might be standing in long lines for buses that don't come frequently enough to meet the demand. I could go on but I think we all see and have experienced this new Disney for ourselves.

Personally speaking I don't find any of this to be a bargain. I think it's sad that the top management of the company has lost the Disney Focus on excellence and quality. I'm hoping that when the current leadership is out that someone will take over that realizes that the Disney brand will be unsustainable if it's simply about a cash grab. That your customers eventually figure that out and turn away. One can hope, right?

~NM

I agree with most of what you said... but the fact is that Disney is packed all the time, they don't have to try as hard. They raise rates, lower service, charge extra for things that you used to be able to do normally, and people are still throwing money at them.
It will continue until people get fed up with it all and stop coming or there's an economic collapse.. then Disney will be back to bending over backwards like they were not too awful long ago.

I have been part of the problem also, but have mentioned that this next trip is last one for Disney for quite a while.

Goodness! I would livid! The sad thing is they may have given your (probably) 9 points back, but the only place you'll be able to use these small amount of points is at AKL :l did they give your son's family anything else? like FP's?

0t5d2tws02iud9z5.png

p07jmt826ggbhx2x.png

Ok, wait just a minute here!!!

How did you get my phone to display your trip countdowns when it’s in portrait mode?!! For everyone else, they will only be displayed while in landscape mode. What’s your secret?

.....and OP, that room is gross!

First, OP...gross!!! I would be upset also.

To the quoted - I'm glad you aren't my neighbor. :) I know you like to say your posts aren't insulting to people because you are only speaking your opinion, but I find your posts (this type) to be both condescending and insulting to anyone who might not feel as vehemently as you do about the state of Disney today.

I think Disney is crazy expensive and takes too long to finish projects, sometimes not even giving us the project/land they initially promised, for the record. But I still enjoy going there and I don't think my enjoyment is giving someone else a poor quality experience.
Yes the posts are very condensing and insulting but I believe it's the intention of the posts to be just that.

I have no problem with anyone who dislikes the business practices. It's your right. Speak with your wallet. It gets old to hear over and over and over the same thing about anyone who does go. We have brains and don't appreciate being belittled. We simply aren't as bitter. Thank goodness. I don't have time for that much bitterness in my life.

I have to attend a group meeting which takes place at the parks. I can not change the location but I can control where I stay.
I can assure you I am not the one wearing the blinders.

~NM
I said you were wearing blinders? Ok. If you say so

Absolutely disagree that Disney rooms are a bargain.

I Paid 250/night for 5 star in a world class ski town recently. We're talking right in the heart of the shopping and dining and lift area.

I Paid 250/night for my city's landmark 5 star hotel. It's one of the top hotels in the entire US, is always highly regarded, and the level of service is right in line with the highest rated Four Seasons or Ritz hotels around the world.

I Paid 200 for a high end hotel in DC.

All this in 2017 and 2018

Yes, I find deals, and yes we find them in the off seasons, but we also try to go to Disney during their off-seasons as well. So when I'm seeing numbers like the above compared to 400 plus for a deluxe (though i recently quoted slightly under 400 through a travel agent for a deluxe for grins and giggles), it doesn't come across as a bargain to me, when a similar or better quality off-site property is $150 including all fees and taxes and parking.

Can’t agree enough with this.

These were online, booked directly through the hotel prices, not a Travelocity type of thing, or wheel and deal thing.

If I could like your post multiple times, I would.

I agree with most of what you said... but the fact is that Disney is packed all the time, they don't have to try as hard. They raise rates, lower service, charge extra for things that you used to be able to do normally, and people are still throwing money at them.
It will continue until people get fed up with it all and stop coming or there's an economic collapse.. then Disney will be back to bending over backwards like they were not too awful long ago.

I have been part of the problem also, but have mentioned that this next trip is last one for Disney for quite a while.

Yep, fed up too. Planning trips else where, for good reason, both for quality and price. Good thing that the DVC resale market is strong. Glad we went. Time to move on.

Last edited:
I'm curious, have you priced rooms anywhere else lately? Maybe not in Orlando where they have a plethora of rooms to the point where they have too many but in a normal area? With a more normal volume of hotels. Disney rooms are becoming a downright bargain. They aren't quite the premium I once thought they were after I started pricing rooms elsewhere. Turns out that Deluxe AP rate I pay is cheaper than a room I can get on a weekend in any nearby city. Folks often ask me why we go to Disney so often but it turns out, it's a cheaper trip than even Nashville is.

Not my recent experience in Manhattan this summer, but i do look for good values.

We purchased in 2007 and we have had nothing but well kept villas and stellar service. We have stayed at AKV (Jambo and Kidani), SSR in the Treehouse Villas, OKW GV, visited friends at WLV, and stayed at GCV (at Disneyland) too many times to count. One time there was a box of unopened cereal in the kitchen cabinet but thats all. I love our DVC! The amenities even in a Studio are pretty cool.

If we ever happen to encounter issues the OP faced, I would run right down to the front desk to have it remedied.
I have to agree with this. Dvc owner for 10 years home resort BCV and have never had an issue. I am sorry for those who’ve had. I hope any and all issues are brought to mgmt attention ASAP so they can be remedied for next guest.

OP that’s totally un acceptable. I haven’t stayed in a DVC unit, but have seen one when a friend was staying. It seems to me the DVC is the poor cousin of the resort. They don’t get refurbed half as much as the regular rooms. The BCV I saw was worn and dated.

I have to agree with this. Dvc owner for 10 years home resort BCV and have never had an issue. I am sorry for those who’ve had. I hope any and all issues are brought to mgmt attention ASAP so they can be remedied for next guest.

Hope so too, and have found DVC members are pretty vocal about room issues, but I am realistic about how little good it does with current management.

OP that’s totally un acceptable. I haven’t stayed in a DVC unit, but have seen one when a friend was staying. It seems to me the DVC is the poor cousin of the resort. They don’t get refurbed half as much as the regular rooms. The BCV I saw was worn and dated.

I thought my BCV unit in early 2017 pretty fresh, early 2018 not so much. Amazing what can happen in 365 days if rooms aren’t maintained.

Not my recent experience in Manhattan this summer, but i do look for good values.
Imagine that. This day and age you can stay in Manhatten cheaper than Chattanooga, Nashville or Knoxville. I think it has to be a supply/demand issue. We have a significant supply problem around here. They can't build rooms fast enough

Ok, wait just a minute here!!!

How did you get my phone to display your trip countdowns when it’s in portrait mode?!! For everyone else, they will only be displayed while in landscape mode. What’s your secret?

.....and OP, that room is gross!
I have no secrets bahaha :) I put the link in the image URL next to the emoji's lol. I never knew how to put it in landscape mode haha. So what's your secret? How do you put the countdowns on landscape mode?:goodvibes

Imagine that. This day and age you can stay in Manhatten cheaper than Chattanooga, Nashville or Knoxville. I think it has to be a supply/demand issue. We have a significant supply problem around here. They can't build rooms fast enough

It is crazy out there. My buddy loves London. He said he found a hotel on the Thames for $100 a night and is just going to head out. Meanwhile a nice room at even the WL is 3x that. The economies of the world are odd right now for the better it seems.

I think this was about summer rates. I was happy particularly because we paid for 2 rooms in great locations (split stay) near multiple subway entrances, and even had breakfast and 3 hour wine hour included in our second leg. Shameless plug for Library collection hotels NYC and Budapest.

I will say New Orleans summer hotel rates are reasonable too (occupancy down due to heat and humidity) but the WWII museum, aquarium, restaurants, bars, and live music, and snowballs are every bit as good in the summer as the rest of the year.

WDW just seems to me overpriced throughout the year despite the heat and afternoon rain.

May I offer some advice for those who think Disney resorts are overpriced for what they are? Buy some shares of Disney stock. Seriously. Not kidding. Just buy you a couple shares. Nowadays my stays/vacas at WDW aren’t as plentiful or regular as they once were. (We got hooked on cruising.) So while I mostly look at those room rates or ticket prices and shake my head, I’m also happy for Disney to charge what the market will bear and take all that money. As a shareholder I can sit back and feel okay with it all. I’m telling you, buy shares of stock. It changes the perspective.

To the OP, Im truly sorry for this disappointment. Everything you list is truly unacceptable. I’ve stayed at Kidani 3x & never had such issues. Basic room cleanliness & upkeep shouldn’t be inconsistent this way. Hope everything was remedied.

Our first stay in any deluxe, our dream stay in a CR MK view room in 2017 was much the same. Walked into a really filthy bathroom (including vomit splash on wall next to toilet), crumbs all over floor, super dusty shelves, even a ladies thong undies left in a drawer. I made a detailed list & left it at the front desk when we headed out to dinner. Everything was clean when we returned. It was crazy to arrive to such at what we thought would be the primo room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter