• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Totally Disgusted!

Anecdotal- while staying in Coronado in May we were sitting out on the balcony during a rainy spell. We noticed a housekeeper working on a room across the courtyard, and quite a bit of time went by and she was still doing the same room. We speculated that the room must have been left very messy by the occupants. A few minutes later a supervisor stormed into that room yelling very loudly at the housekeeper, demanding to know what was taking her so long. The supervisor grabbed the vacuum and started to clean the room, shouting orders at the housekeeper. We didn’t know who to feel worse for, the hk or the supervisor.

Then we noticed a hotel guest driving their car right into the courtyard, onto the golf cart path (which is not a road). The supervisor came out and we thought holy hell was going to break loose, but it didn’t. The supervisor transformed into a magically sweet person, and kindly asked the guest if she could help. She unloaded the guest’s luggage with a smile and even drove the guest’s car back to the road and took the guest’s garbage out of her car to throw it away.

After the guest was taken care of and gone, the supervisor went right back to screaming at the housekeeper. It was a crazy scene to watch. Very Jekyll and Hyde.

Anecdotal- while staying in Coronado in May we were sitting out on the balcony during a rainy spell. We noticed a housekeeper working on a room across the courtyard, and quite a bit of time went by and she was still doing the same room. We speculated that the room must have been left very messy by the occupants. A few minutes later a supervisor stormed into that room yelling very loudly at the housekeeper, demanding to know what was taking her so long. The supervisor grabbed the vacuum and started to clean the room, shouting orders at the housekeeper. We didn’t know who to feel worse for, the hk or the supervisor.

Then we noticed a hotel guest driving their car right into the courtyard, onto the golf cart path (which is not a road). The supervisor came out and we thought holy hell was going to break loose, but it didn’t. The supervisor transformed into a magically sweet person, and kindly asked the guest if she could help. She unloaded the guest’s luggage with a smile and even drove the guest’s car back to the road and took the guest’s garbage out of her car to throw it away.

After the guest was taken care of and gone, the supervisor went right back to screaming at the housekeeper. It was a crazy scene to watch. Very Jekyll and Hyde.
That is crazy indeed!

Oh, and while I'm here.

I remember reading (a while ago...years ago?) that Disney people read these boards all the time. I doubted it then and was shot down.

IF they monitor these boards, there would be no need to write to guest management, I think.

Obviously they either 1-don't look at this site
2-They look at this site and don't care about your bad publicity and the many negative comments on these boards for the past while
3-they don't give a fig about what we or anyone else thinks as they make neat stacks of their coins

I'm still going with number 1.......with a little 3 thrown in

Oh, and while I'm here.

I remember reading (a while ago...years ago?) that Disney people read these boards all the time. I doubted it then and was shot down.

IF they monitor these boards, there would be no need to write to guest management, I think.

Obviously they either 1-don't look at this site
2-They look at this site and don't care about your bad publicity and the many negative comments on these boards for the past while
3-they don't give a fig about what we or anyone else thinks as they make neat stacks of their coins

I'm still going with number 1.......with a little 3 thrown in

My guess is that they figure if you don't care enough to complain to them, it couldn't be that bad.

We had to call to request toilet paper - bad, thin toilet paper (and we are not TP snobs - Scotts for us septic users). They brought 2 rolls for a 2 bed villa. We are day 9 - our complete cleaning took place on Day 3.
When I arrived at 10:00 p.m.- the bedroom door to the balcony had been left wide open - the main balcony door was unlocked.
Both balcony doors were unlocked in Room 2.
Room was clean (it's refurbished) - but the balconies are seriously lacking upkeep. Rusted, rotting, peeling. Was a Dolphin today - saw a massive hornet's nest under someone's balcony. That won't be fun for their neighbors.

The CMS left us a wonderful surprise - a gift bag and a crazy-thoughtful poster signed by everyone. It will be cherished forever but it is not supposed to be make-up for poor housekeeping. I think the contract stuff is seriously interfering with some of the experience. Lots of angry and/or dispassionate CMs throughout WDW this trip. Don't get me started on the HDDR - WOWeeeeee was our server MISERABLE and one of the performers! Most of the other performers were OUTSTANDING. Disney should think again about the wages vs the guests' experiences.

Be prepared to be be told by some DISers that they have stayed MILLIONS of times and the rooms are so perfect, they morph into maids that fly home and clean your house. Mold - NEVER (not even in a hotel in Florida). Mildew - you must have brought it with you! Unwashed dishes - did you sneak in early and use them? Are you sure? Missing or broken light bulbs - thief! DVC and Disney are practically (always) perfect in every way. I haven't read more than the first few posts so I have no idea - perhaps everyone was kind and sympathetic. We'll see.
I'll bite. We've stayed at OK maybe 16 or more times. Our villas have been fine. Once we had a problem with the AC, but we called Maintenance and they sent someone right over to fix it. If we do find a problem, we call Maintenance or Housekeeping (whoever needs to be informed of the issue) and they usually take care of it right away. I expect a bit of mildew in bathrooms, especially where guests have taken long, hot showers and the bathroom got overly wet from all the humidity. Usually a quick swipe with a paper towel takes care of it. I really don't recall a time when we needed Housekeeping to come and reclean the room, just very minor issues.

We had to call to request toilet paper - bad, thin toilet paper (and we are not TP snobs - Scotts for us septic users). They brought 2 rolls for a 2 bed villa. We are day 9 - our complete cleaning took place on Day 3.
When I arrived at 10:00 p.m.- the bedroom door to the balcony had been left wide open - the main balcony door was unlocked.
Both balcony doors were unlocked in Room 2.
Room was clean (it's refurbished) - but the balconies are seriously lacking upkeep. Rusted, rotting, peeling. Was a Dolphin today - saw a massive hornet's nest under someone's balcony. That won't be fun for their neighbors.

The CMS left us a wonderful surprise - a gift bag and a crazy-thoughtful poster signed by everyone. It will be cherished forever but it is not supposed to be make-up for poor housekeeping. I think the contract stuff is seriously interfering with some of the experience. Lots of angry and/or dispassionate CMs throughout WDW this trip. Don't get me started on the HDDR - WOWeeeeee was our server MISERABLE and one of the performers! Most of the other performers were OUTSTANDING. Disney should think again about the wages vs the guests' experiences.
Question, did you really get a full cleaning on day 3 instead of day 4? If you could check in day as Day 1, you should get full cleaning on Day 4 and your towels and amenities replaced on Day 8.

I believe OKW is undergoing a renovation but like kidani, OKW is spread out and has beaucoup rooms so it will be a while before all the rooms are taken care of. In the meantime, mold so bad that it makes allergies rage is not only a cleanliness issue, it’s a health issue. DVC rooms undergo renovation at much longer intervals than non-Disney rooms but ignoring/postponing needed mold remediation is unethical and unacceptable.

I get that Florida is humid, heck I have lived the last 55 years of my life in steamy south Louisiana. Shame on you Disney.
Not mold. It's mildew and it happens. Mildew is not mold. I also lived in Louisiana and now live in SW Florida.

Be prepared to be be told by some DISers that they have stayed MILLIONS of times and the rooms are so perfect, they morph into maids that fly home and clean your house. Mold - NEVER (not even in a hotel in Florida). Mildew - you must have brought it with you! Unwashed dishes - did you sneak in early and use them? Are you sure? Missing or broken light bulbs - thief! DVC and Disney are practically (always) perfect in every way. I haven't read more than the first few posts so I have no idea - perhaps everyone was kind and sympathetic. We'll see.

Well, most of my trips ARE problem free, but there will be hiccups now and then. Like the time I checked into BCV and the door to the microwave was half torn off like someone had been swinging on it. Or the time at the BC when we checked in to a huge bag of garbage sitting in the middle of the floor. Or trying to get the floors clean in the new Pop rooms. For me, though, it’s more about how they handle the hiccups than the fact they happened in the first place. So far, they have responded right away any time I have called with an issue, and considering the calls don’t go to the front desk, I am pleased with their response.

Question, did you really get a full cleaning on day 3 instead of day 4? If you could check in day as Day 1, you should get full cleaning on Day 4 and your towels and amenities replaced on Day 8.

Holy cow - when did that change? I remember only getting a second full cleaning if you were there 7+ days. I checked in on 9/5. It was cleaned on 9/8. Nothing since. It should have been fully cleaned on the 13th. It's the 15th. Why would I need the room cleaned after two nights of a 14 day stay? Hoping they come back with supplies.

Sometimes, the garbage is emptied - most of the time, it is not - especially the recyclables. We've taken them down a few times now. Have to call again for toilet paper. Lesson learned - it is easier to buy (and better quality)) at the store when we stock up.

I'll bite. We've stayed at OK maybe 16 or more times. Our villas have been fine. Once we had a problem with the AC, but we called Maintenance and they sent someone right over to fix it. If we do find a problem, we call Maintenance or Housekeeping (whoever needs to be informed of the issue) and they usually take care of it right away. I expect a bit of mildew in bathrooms, especially where guests have taken long, hot showers and the bathroom got overly wet from all the humidity. Usually a quick swipe with a paper towel takes care of it. I really don't recall a time when we needed Housekeeping to come and reclean the room, just very minor issues.

We always stay in a 2 bed - for years and years since the 90s within the same 4 (but mostly 2) buildings. I imagine the studios are in better shape (for housekeeping standards) as they are likely rented far more frequently by Disney. This is the first time in a long time the bathroom was clean-clean. Guessing the refurb is the difference. The balcony could really use some TLC. A pressure wash would be a great start.

The balcony light is still out. Engineering spent 40 minutes here - 2 guys lots of tools to fix the front door. My DH is a not a worrier (like me, heck he thought I was crazy when I said the hurricanes were going to start) - but his gut instinct was the door had been purposely tampered with - add to that the 2 rooms 4/4 balcony doors unlocked or open and we were more careful than usual with our things on this trip.

We have no way of knowing if there have been any issues or not. Only Disney management does.

But we did witness, in our opinions, a likely slip and fall scam in the park!

Holy cow - when did that change? I remember only getting a second full cleaning if you were there 7+ days. I checked in on 9/5. It was cleaned on 9/8. Nothing since. It should have been fully cleaned on the 13th. It's the 15th. Why would I need the room cleaned after two nights of a 14 day stay? Hoping they come back with supplies.

Sometimes, the garbage is emptied - most of the time, it is not - especially the recyclables. We've taken them down a few times now. Have to call again for toilet paper. Lesson learned - it is easier to buy (and better quality)) at the store when we stock up.
It has been a full cleaning on Day 4 and trash and towels on Day 8 if you stay eight nights or more since at least 1997 when we bought. but it has probably been that way since it all started. If you stay seven nights or fewer, you get trash and towels on Day 4 and no full cleaning at all. However, with the change in policy, trash is supposed to be picked up daily.

If you checked in on 9/5, you should have had a full cleaning on 9/8 and towels and amenities replaced on 9/12. If your stay was longer still, you would get another full cleaning on 9/16 and towels and amenities on 9/20. You get your villa serviced every four days and it changes every four days as to the service you get.

We always stay in a 2 bed - for years and years since the 90s within the same 4 (but mostly 2) buildings. I imagine the studios are in better shape (for housekeeping standards) as they are likely rented far more frequently by Disney. This is the first time in a long time the bathroom was clean-clean. Guessing the refurb is the difference. The balcony could really use some TLC. A pressure wash would be a great start.

The balcony light is still out. Engineering spent 40 minutes here - 2 guys lots of tools to fix the front door. My DH is a not a worrier (like me, heck he thought I was crazy when I said the hurricanes were going to start) - but his gut instinct was the door had been purposely tampered with - add to that the 2 rooms 4/4 balcony doors unlocked or open and we were more careful than usual with our things on this trip.

We have no way of knowing if there have been any issues or not. Only Disney management does.

But we did witness, in our opinions, a likely slip and fall scam in the park!

Maintenance issues is not limited only to OKW. I just read a recent review on trip advisor RE: BWV. The DVC member reported some issues at the start of their trip, they were addressed. Throughout the stay more issues were noticed. Upon departure, the reviewer went to the front desk to report the additional issues that they encountered. The front desk didn’t even bother to write them down. I guess the issues were there for the next guest to deal with.

Why do you enjoy Jambo more? Just curious since I have never stayed at AKL but did book a Jambo versus Kidani only to get the value room
Hi-jacking question:) We liked Jambo a lot better because of the grand lobby compared to the blah Kidani lobby, as well as more food options and a better store.

Hi-jacking question:) We liked Jambo a lot better because of the grand lobby compared to the blah Kidani lobby, as well as more food options and a better store.
Glad to hear. I will be going there for the first time in Feb. Looking forward to it!

Maintenance issues is not limited only to OKW. I just read a recent review on trip advisor RE: BWV. The DVC member reported some issues at the start of their trip, they were addressed. Throughout the stay more issues were noticed. Upon departure, the reviewer went to the front desk to report the additional issues that they encountered. The front desk didn’t even bother to write them down. I guess the issues were there for the next guest to deal with.
I think I would have sent an email to Member Satisfaction with a list of the issues. If they didn't really impact my stay, I would make sure I'd let them know I wasn't seeking any compensation, but I just wanted to make sure someone took note of the problems and resolved them.

I don't spend that much time in the lobby and I prefer the Kidani one bedrooms over the converted hotel rooms that are DVC one bedroom villas at Jambo House. I kind of like the Kidani viewing areas a bit more than the ones at Jambo, too. We usually just walk over to the Mara if we are looking for something to eat that they don't have in the store or at the pool and don't want to venture out further. It's a short walk to Jambo from Kidani, maybe only ten minutes, even for my old body.

Did the OP ever come back and say what it was. They haven't been seen on the boards since that post. What was it a couple of coffees spots magnified? I'm not one to jump to defend Disney, but that seems kind of trollish… not the list, but the picture. When people start a thread and don't come back I'm always a little skeptical. Why start a thread and then not respond?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter