To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Loved your race recap! Thanks for the details. We started Disenchanted, and I loved it, but felt like I needed to watch an episode of MLP Friendship is Magic just to cleanse my brain from the irony and uh... disenchantment.

BTW back on track with my 10K plan... just adjusted the dates for November race and jumped in at a logical place.

-Downloaded three new albums of music to try and boost the "newness" and decrease my perception of effort with self chosen fast paced music.

Haven't been to this page in a while. I apologize for referencing an older quote. This makes sense to me, is there any science to back this up? Is this similar to muscle memory when running the same route over and over? I'm way over due for a playlist update myself, this might force me to get to it sooner.

Loved your race recap! Thanks for the details. We started Disenchanted, and I loved it, but felt like I needed to watch an episode of MLP Friendship is Magic just to cleanse my brain from the irony and uh... disenchantment.

Thanks! I've liked the first few episodes of Disenchanted so far.

BTW back on track with my 10K plan... just adjusted the dates for November race and jumped in at a logical place.

:woohoo:

Haven't been to this page in a while. I apologize for referencing an older quote. This makes sense to me, is there any science to back this up? Is this similar to muscle memory when running the same route over and over? I'm way over due for a playlist update myself, this might force me to get to it sooner.

Eureka! The Quintessential Running Post

Dampeners of Perception of Effort (Factor 1)

Music
Essentially, it has been shown in many studies that by having music that is enjoyed, self-selected, and has a high bpm the overall perception of effort is decreased. This decreased perception of effort was connected with increased ability when used during races below the anaerobic threshold. I believe this is because in a 5K the physical limitations are what they are and the dampening of effort is ineffective. However, prior to a 5K using amping up music works by raising self confidence and HR. So pump up the jams and you'll reduce your perception of effort. You can run faster listening to music you like that has a high beats per minute.

The paper about this is really really really long. But this is a very short summary of it.

It is true that I've got a lot of things on my plate right now. Plus one other thing I've been working hard on for the last few weeks. :thumbsup2 :ssst: :surfweb:
For illogical reasons, I keep waiting to see your update on this. Still working on the mystery project? Is it fun? How many spreadsheets are involved?

X-ray was negative. Everything looks fine. Have a PT appointment at 8am tomorrow to get clearance/advice on running.

Woot Woot! Hope you're back on the road again in no time.

giphy.gif

Great news!!! Hopeful that PT will be as beneficial for you as it has been for me with my recent injury.
[As we have discussed, I did not yet want them to discharge me to "fly on my own."] =P

Great news!

Glad to hear the x-ray was negative and I hope the PT gives you some good answers tomorrow!

WHEW! That is great news!! Good luck tomorrow morning!

Woot Woot! Hope you're back on the road again in no time.

giphy.gif

Good luck with the PT!

Great news!!! Hopeful that PT will be as beneficial for you as it has been for me with my recent injury.
[As we have discussed, I did not yet want them to discharge me to "fly on my own."] =P

Thanks all! Doctor wasn't quite sure what to think. Thinks maybe tendonitis (or some other soft tissue injury), but wants to hear the PT's thoughts. Gave me an urgent care PT appointment given the closeness of Chicago. Holding out hope.

Just catching up. Sorry to hear that the race did not go as planned, but on to the next one. Good to hear the ankle was not a stress fracture. Hopefully the PT can clear things up for you quickly.

I’m hoping you get some good news today.

Just catching up. Sorry to hear that the race did not go as planned, but on to the next one. Good to hear the ankle was not a stress fracture. Hopefully the PT can clear things up for you quickly.

Hoping to hear good news!!!!

Thanks all. Kind of a muddy answer from the PT. He's not quite sure what is going on either. He cranked on my ankle pretty hard in all directions and concluded I've got good strength with no pain. But he used a tuning fork (albeit crude method for determining stress fracture) and placed it in the ankle area. I could definitely tell a difference between the right ankle and left ankle. But because it comes and goes day to day, and doesn't seem to escalate in pain when continuing to run, then he doesn't think it fits a stress fracture. So he gave me some exercises to hopefully strengthen the ankles (apparently stiff) and my hips under the assumption that it is tendonitis. But he believes there is no tear or significant damage given the result of the cranking. I can return to running under two conditions:

1) No limping
2) If the pain persists at a constant level, I'm fine to continue. If the pain escalates during a run, then I have to stop.

He agrees that it may be a combination of the new route (given I moved in late June and then new route is more cambered) and possibly my set of shoes being too cushy (over the years Saucony seems to have altered most of their shoes from a bit firmer to a bit more squishy). So I'm clear to run this afternoon. But I'm going to wait till tomorrow so I can get a new pair of Zealot Isos in that I used to run in last year (much firmer in my opinion). We shall see.

Well, still encouraging that there's likely not a serious injury there, but I imagine also a bit frustrating to not have a clear answer. Hopefully a change in shoes and the rest you've given it will do the trick!

Well, still encouraging that there's likely not a serious injury there, but I imagine also a bit frustrating to not have a clear answer. Hopefully a change in shoes and the rest you've given it will do the trick!

Agreed on all accounts.

I'll also add that he recommended getting a gait analysis once I'm up and running again just to look for possible inconsistencies in the stride. So something to consider. He did also confirm that my legs are the exact same length which doesn't have to be true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter