To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

2018 Madison Mini HM Recap

Woke up at 4:10am. I ate a PB/Honey bagel and banana at 4:20am. Also, drank about 32oz of water. Got in the shower. Finished prepping the rest of the materials. Made up two batches of Maurten Drink Mix 320, and then it was time to leave.

We left for Madison, WI at 5:20am. We arrived at the Union around 5:45am. We headed into the Union and I used the restroom and got prepared in the cafe.

While waiting around/stretching, I saw one of my old co-workers Julia who also runs. It was nice to catch up. She volunteered to be a pacer for the 2:15 finish.

We headed outside and I used the porta-potty at 6:25am right on schedule. I did some more stretching and then it was time to get in a short WU run.

I did a 10 minute WU before the race. Ran back and found Steph/G. Took a picture with Bucky, and then it was time to head to the start line.

10342_2206236_enm1219576486ram-jpg.344640

Drank about 15oz of my Maurten Drink Mix 320 (so about 70g carbs) with about 12 min to go until start. Then, I chewed 100mg of RunGum after the Maurten and finished it up right before the gun went off. Said goodbye to Steph and G, and G told me to run fast, like really fast.

T+D was 126-132 for the duration of the race. It was mostly cloudy and the sun barely appeared if much at all.

2015 Madison Mini – 1:45:46 (known short course)
HM PR to beat – 1:30:35
Predicted Time – 1:28:50

*I intended to race this blind, but wasn’t able to keep the split clocks out of my sight line.

MILE – SPLIT (PREDICTED TIME)
Mile 1 – 7:01 (1:31:46)

View attachment 345097

I started off in the A corral but hung back. Once the race started, I let the ghosts go with the plan to Pac-Man them to the finish. I was quite surprised by the number of people passing me so early on. The beginning of the race is a moderate uphill, so to see so many flying early either meant I was doing something right, or this was going to be a long day. Kept calm and stayed relaxed. Took a couple of sips from my Maurten Drink Mix 320 that I was carrying with in a broken 10 oz flask. Since I was running with the auto-lap off, then it was up to me to hit the lap button at each mile marker. So, when the mile 1 came up, I hit the button. But in doing so inadvertently saw the split at 7:01. I thought to myself, well done. You’re right where you want to be. Just maintain this effort, but don’t look anymore.

Mile 2 – 6:52 (1:30:54)

Still running well. Calm and relaxed. Hit the 1staid station and poured the water over my head. I was still feeling good and still had some of my Maurten in my handheld. Did a few undulating hills and then came up on the second mile marker. This time I didn’t see my watch split (victory), but I did see the clock (which was just under 14 min). Still right where I wanted to be and still feeling confident.

Mile 3 – 6:58 (1:31:03)

Headed past Union South and Camp Randall towards the Zoo. Was happy with the progress in this mile. Things felt a tad more difficult, but plenty manageable. Took a few more sips of Maurten. Saw the split clock again at just under 21 min. Was really trying to avoid looking at the clocks, but they were unavoidably within my sight line. I liked settling in to around a 7 min/mile HM and was perfectly content with the pace. Everything felt right. Up to know (unknown to me), my HR splits were pretty much on point at 150, 155, and 157. Looking to be around 153-156 for a HM based on historical.

Mile 4 – 7:03 (1:31:23)

At about Mile 3.5, I hit the second aid station. Poured some water over my head, and immediately regretted it. My Gore singlet just didn’t cooperate with that choice and completely stuck to my body from there on. I think the humidity/dew point was so high that nothing was going anywhere. So I instantly became a sopping mess. I may have drank a few sips, but I think it was minimal. So between drinking a few sips and becoming a sopping mess, things were starting to feel less comfortable. Saw the clock at just under 28 min and knew I was doing well.

Mile 5 – 7:16 (1:32:10)

This is the mile where things started to turn for me. The run was becoming less pleasant. The weather wasn’t too bad as it was still mostly cloudy. My ankle started to become noticeable again. I was having trouble controlling my breathing. A side stitch was starting. I knew I needed some water, but didn’t feel overly thirsty. I drank some more Maurten. At the Mile 5 aid station, I took another cup but as I was drinking it I spit it up. So I lost pretty much everything I had. I think I should have turned back and gotten some more water. At this point I had probably drank 10-12 oz of water in the first 5 miles. I should have probably been closer to 15-25 oz based on my consumption rate during training. So I think I started to dehydrate myself. Saw the mile 5 clock at just over 35 min and knew I had lost some time. But was still moving.

Mile 6 – 7:24 (1:32:58)

My legs felt fine, but my upper torso just didn’t seem to want to agree with me today. My torso felt tight, my breathing was troublesome, I was fighting off side stitches. All around it seemed my upper half just wasn’t having it. We did get some sun during this mile, but mostly tree covered and cloudy. Saw the mile 6 clock and knew the 7 min/mile pace was starting to fall off. Don’t worry though, you’re saving yourself for the mile 12 hills. You’ll catch those ghosts soon enough. I had been jockeying with a few other runners for miles, so I kept saying as long as I’m maintaining position, then I’m right where I want to be.

Mile 7 – 7:23 (1:33:31)

Hit aid station #4 and finally said goodbye to my broken flask. Also, got in a few drinks from an aid cup. This was a place where we were crossing paths with other runners. So they were at about mile 3.5 when I was at mile 6.5. Started passing a few people, so I knew things were still going alright. Hit the mile 7 clock and saw something around 51 min. Knew I was still doing alright. My ankle still wasn’t feeling the greatest though, but seemingly by breathing/torso was giving me the most trouble.

Mile 8 – 7:46 (1:34:33)

Around mile 7.5 is when I decided to go for the second 100mg of RunGum. A little earlier than planned, but I thought it might help me salvage the pace. There were a few sharp inclines in this mile and I tried to take them nice and easy. Had a little trouble getting the gum out, but eventually succeeded. Chewed it for about a 0.5 mile until the next aid station. Saw the clock at like 58 min and was still making good time. I knew the pace was slipping, but it was still manageable. I was not terribly happy about the side aches, ankle issues, and such though.

Mile 9 – 7:44 (1:35:19)

Made it to Camp Randall and there was a nice contingent of people around. Nice to see some cheering faces. Headed up towards the stadium and a slight incline to the 6thaid station. Was able to grab a cup and continue on. Saw the clock at 1:09 and was like “WHAT?”. Definitely knew that clock had to be wrong. That just didn’t make any sense. I wasn’t getting passed by too many people. Ignore the clock and move on.

Mile 10 – 7:34 (1:35:42)

Hit the 7th aid station not too long after. Started to get some good music and felt like things were picking back up again. Hit the 8thaid station as well at the end of this mile. Hit the 10 mile clock and saw 1:12. Knew I was doing alright. Just a little over 3 miles to go and could still hit around a 1:35. The ankle was still bothersome. Legs felt good. Breathing and torso just not feeling great.

Mile 11 – 7:31 (1:35:58)

Headed out towards Picnic Point. Saw some people headed back towards the finish (hairpin up ahead). Saw a few familiar faces from earlier in the race, so knew I was doing alright holding my own. A little behind, but not awful. Clock was around 1:20 when I hit mile 11. Knew the 1:28 was definitely not going to happen, but something in the 1:30s was still achievable. But the motivation to push any harder was definitely waning. I was carrying with me a picture of Lucy in my pocket, I touched it a few times during this mile and it brought a smile to my face. I imagined her running with me. I had no desire to push the pace any harder even though my legs said they could take it, my ankle said no, and my torso said no.

Mile 12 – 7:46 (1:36:27)

Hit mile 12 around a 1:28 and knew it was only a little over a mile to the finish. Hit the last aid station, and it was time to wrap this race up. I was getting passed by quite a few other runners, but I had no desire to do anything about it. I decided just to coast to the finish line.

Mile 13 – 8:09 (1:37:15)

Saw the finish, pulled out my picture of Lucy and gave it a kiss as I crossed the finish line. Thanks for everything Lucy.

Final Time – 1:37:35

Official PRs: 0

Unofficial PRs: 0

Official Overall Standing: 147 / 2522 (5.8%)
Official Gender Standing: 122 / 1127 (10.8%)
Official Division Standing: 21 / 153 (13.7%)

Wrapped up the race by heading straight for some water, chocolate milk and then the parking structure. We had to leave for Chicago pretty quick afterwards so it was paramount I kept moving so I could get to the car and head back to Heidi’s. Passed the PR bell and knew it wasn’t my day to ring it. But maybe another time.

All in all, I don’t have a good answer for why this one went this way. The weather wasn’t ideal, but it was certainly better than what we’ve had recently. I thought going into it a 1:28 was realistic. I thought based on some training data that things were falling into place. I felt relatively strong the last few runs, and my ankle wasn’t bothering me as much the last week. So I really thought I had this one going into it. Not quite sure where to put the finger and say, I should have changed this.

-Should I not have drank 15oz of Maurten right prior to start?
-Should I have drank more water during the race?
-Should I have not poured that water on my head in such high humidity?
-Should I have worn a looser singlet?
-What was going on with my torso?
-What’s up with the ankle?
-Have I lost my racing edge?
-Am I still willing to go “there” or am I seemingly holding myself back for some reason?
-Is this a good judge of current fitness, or a fluke?
-Was I not rested enough? My Stravistix said a +8.6 (which anything above +5 is "fresh"). I was a +6.6 for the Hot2Trot. I was a +22.7 for the Dopey 5k, +22.4 for the Dopey 10k, +18 for the Dopey HM, and +8.8 for the Dopey M.

I have a lot more questions than answers at this point. After walking an additional 10 miles the rest of the day in Chicago, my ankle was tapped out. I don’t think it’s a stress fracture because I still have no pain to touch and can pass the jump test. It seems more like an ankle roll or strain of some sort. I’m thinking it might be because my ankle is flexing too much in my shoes. Both my daily shoes and running shoes are nearly brand new, but still the same shoes as before (just new). So maybe the “give” in the shoe is causing my ankle to roll. Because when I walk bare foot my ankle feels much better. I mean it’s still sore, but I think that’s a lingering feeling from it being rolled/flexed all the time. I decided to try the indoor bike Sunday night to give the ankle a break. I’ve contemplated taking the whole week off from running and just biking this week. I also switched out my daily shoes for an old pair of Kinvara 6s which are super flat and have little give to them. Hoping to test out the theory. I’m just going to take it day by day as I enter the home stretch of Chicago training. At this point, I don’t know what the marathon will bring. But I do know I’ve got some work to do.

Don't beat yourself up over it buddy. Some days just arent our days for racing and others days you surprise the heck out of yourself. I know the data suggested a better run, but it happens. Keep your head up and keep working towards your goals!

So there I was sitting in the service department at the car dealership reading your race recap. I got to the part about Lucy and the tears started flowing. So thanks for making me cry in public. I appreciate it :teeth:

Anyway, I think you need to get that ankle checked out by a professional just as a precaution. It could totally be nothing, but what if it isn’t? You don’t want to make an injury worse by continuing to train.

I think it was just a combination of every little thing that didn’t get you the time you wanted and not that you have no racing left in you. As others said we will all have that not so good race experience. It sucks, but they are also learning experiences!

Perspective around what this race actually means, and perspective around the progress that has been made since recovering from my injury earlier this year. If it were easy, then I probably wouldn't still be doing this. I continue to run because it's hard, and because it challenges me. Something where I need to work really really hard to achieve my self-laid out goals.
Looking back on my knee issues this past winter, I remember a period where I faced the possibility of not being able to finish the Dark Side races this year. That helped me make peace with yet another 3+ hour half marathon because I wanted the experience of finishing. But it also helped me make peace with running a marathon. In my mind, a sub 3 hour half had become some kind of psychological barrier. But when I understood that if I injured myself I would lose the real experience I was working for, I came to realize that I was actually okay with a 7 hour marathon if that's what happened.

I think your comment about if this were easy is perfect. I've talked to many people who think running a runDisney event sounds really, really fun, but they do not believe they could ever do it. I used to be one of them so I understand where they're coming from. Yet at the same time, this is difficult. It requires our time and effort. It asks us to get up and run instead of sleep in and/or sit on the couch relaxing. But the process of getting out there and doing it transforms us emotionally as well. We confront failure head on. And we get up and back out there again.

I've shared it before, but I'll share it again. One of my favorite statements from a movie comes from Batman Begins. After Bruce Wayne has failed and things look really bad, Alfred reminds him of something Bruce's father taught him.

Alfred: And why do we fall, master Bruce?

Bruce Wayne: So we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.

Don't beat yourself up over it buddy. Some days just arent our days for racing and others days you surprise the heck out of yourself. I know the data suggested a better run, but it happens. Keep your head up and keep working towards your goals!

Thanks! I appreciate it.

So there I was sitting in the service department at the car dealership reading your race recap. I got to the part about Lucy and the tears started flowing. So thanks for making me cry in public. I appreciate it :teeth:

Anyway, I think you need to get that ankle checked out by a professional just as a precaution. It could totally be nothing, but what if it isn’t? You don’t want to make an injury worse by continuing to train.

I think it was just a combination of every little thing that didn’t get you the time you wanted and not that you have no racing left in you. As others said we will all have that not so good race experience. It sucks, but they are also learning experiences!

Sorry to make you cry in public. Certainly an emotional goodbye for me as I carried her with me through this race.

It's true about the ankle. But I'd like to give this idea a try. But if it doesn't work, then I'll be scheduling myself for a visit.

Looking back on my knee issues this past winter, I remember a period where I faced the possibility of not being able to finish the Dark Side races this year. That helped me make peace with yet another 3+ hour half marathon because I wanted the experience of finishing. But it also helped me make peace with running a marathon. In my mind, a sub 3 hour half had become some kind of psychological barrier. But when I understood that if I injured myself I would lose the real experience I was working for, I came to realize that I was actually okay with a 7 hour marathon if that's what happened.

I think your comment about if this were easy is perfect. I've talked to many people who think running a runDisney event sounds really, really fun, but they do not believe they could ever do it. I used to be one of them so I understand where they're coming from. Yet at the same time, this is difficult. It requires our time and effort. It asks us to get up and run instead of sleep in and/or sit on the couch relaxing. But the process of getting out there and doing it transforms us emotionally as well. We confront failure head on. And we get up and back out there again.

I've shared it before, but I'll share it again. One of my favorite statements from a movie comes from Batman Begins. After Bruce Wayne has failed and things look really bad, Alfred reminds him of something Bruce's father taught him.

Alfred: And why do we fall, master Bruce?

Bruce Wayne: So we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.

Thanks for the comments. I like the quote, it's a good one.

Congrats on your race, Billy! I agree that your ankle and wet singlet may have been to blame. Your training and dedication to this hobby is unbelievable! Your support to others is amazing! I will never run a 1:37 HM but I think what’s most helpful reading training reports and race recaps is that we learn from each other. Sometimes things just don’t go as planned.

Sorry to make you cry in public. Certainly an emotional goodbye for me as I carried her with me through this race.

Don’t be sorry! I am not a crier so it came out of nowhere! Most be old age because I was tearing up over the whales and the little dog during the movie The Meg last weekend.

It was honestly such a touching tribute to Lucy.

Congrats on your race, Billy! I agree that your ankle and wet singlet may have been to blame. Your training and dedication to this hobby is unbelievable! Your support to others is amazing! I will never run a 1:37 HM but I think what’s most helpful reading training reports and race recaps is that we learn from each other. Sometimes things just don’t go as planned.

Thanks! All great thoughts!

Don’t be sorry! I am not a crier so it came out of nowhere! Most be old age because I was tearing up over the whales and the little dog during the movie The Meg last weekend.

It was honestly such a touching tribute to Lucy.

No worries!

Trainer - Check (Watt Master Nashbar Fluid - Free from UIL)
Sensors - Check (Wahoo Bluetooth Speed/Cadence - $70 and Schoche Rhythm + HR monitor - $80 *will work with Treadmill enabled bluetooth as well when I go down that path)
TV - Check (Phillips 1080p 40ish in - Free from MIL)
Bike - Check (4 choices from SIL or FIL - Free)
Cables - Yet to get them (Apple Lightning Digital AV and HDMI - $60)

Looks like I'll be all set come Monday/Tuesday of next week!

Billy, this is a reference to an old post of yours. Is this the equipment that you ended up using for your biking setup? Seems like you're missing a computer/tablet for the Zwift? (Or how did the TV know what to show?) How did you like it all?

My DH is looking into a biking setup. Like you, he has realized it really comes down to an expensive Peloton system or more of a put-together Zwift system. Right now, we don't really have any relevant equipment except a TV.

He plays a lot of tennis, but he's realizing he needs to do some additional activity to keep up his health and manage weight. But he HATES to do any sort of training program, such as DVDs or plans or sets/reps...pretty much he likes to do the activity in the sport/competition. We have a treadmill, but no way he's going to run or even walk on it. He's hoping that the "gamification" of something like Zwift might keep him interested. I am dubious, but I guess you never know.

Billy, this is a reference to an old post of yours. Is this the equipment that you ended up using for your biking setup? Seems like you're missing a computer/tablet for the Zwift? (Or how did the TV know what to show?) How did you like it all?

I used the following:

-Watt Master Nashbar Fluid
-Wahoo Bluetooth Speed/Cadence
-Schoche Rhythm + HR monitor
-Apple Lightning Digital AV and HDMI (this hooked up to my phone which then hooked it up to the TV)
-Bike

Honestly, he wouldn't need too much of a special bike (if he intends to just do indoor biking). I think the thing that frustrated me the most was the inaccuracy of the dataset. So if I were to ever devote to the Zwift system then I would strongly consider a mid-grade trainer (see DCrainmaker post here), instead of my very old and simple fluid trainer. The Wahoo KICKR was the one I was considering the most, or a Tacx Neo if I went all out. But I'd probably suggest something cheaper to make sure he even enjoys it before investing too much. Matters if the dataset being wonky matters to him.

I used the following:

-Watt Master Nashbar Fluid
-Wahoo Bluetooth Speed/Cadence
-Schoche Rhythm + HR monitor
-Apple Lightning Digital AV and HDMI (this hooked up to my phone which then hooked it up to the TV)
-Bike

Honestly, he wouldn't need too much of a special bike (if he intends to just do indoor biking). I think the thing that frustrated me the most was the inaccuracy of the dataset. So if I were to ever devote to the Zwift system then I would strongly consider a mid-grade trainer (see DCrainmaker post here), instead of my very old and simple fluid trainer. The Wahoo KICKR was the one I was considering the most, or a Tacx Neo if I went all out. But I'd probably suggest something cheaper to make sure he even enjoys it before investing too much. Matters if the dataset being wonky matters to him.

Thanks! I'll pass this on. I'm not sure if he's going to care so much about the dataset, as you say. You had specific reasons to need accurate data (in order to maintain your aerobic fitness), but he won't have such precise goals.

Thanks! I'll pass this on. I'm not sure if he's going to care so much about the dataset, as you say. You had specific reasons to need accurate data (in order to maintain your aerobic fitness), but he won't have such precise goals.

Well and if he plans to race any, you'd want more accurate data (otherwise it'll show you flying way too fast). Or if he doesn't want to appear to be the fastest person playing. Right before I stopped using it, I had to switch my guy to like 300 pounds to give a somewhat accurate FTP value (otherwise I got flagged for a miscalibrated setup type situation). But no guarantee he'll have the same experience I did there at the tail end of my last use of it.

Billy- You did awesome! Some days are just not good days! I have had a great race followed by a not so great race since I started racing. Very interesting. I don't think this race represents ur current fitness level. The maurten you took might be a little too much in the period u did. I am working on my timing on that stuff and I think one pack of the 320 should be consumed in over an hour like Christian was saying. And the ankle problem by itself is enough to throw u off in a race. Keep working towards ur mail goal man! You have enough time before u race Chicago. Keep ur head up. ;)

2018 Madison Mini HM Recap

T+D was 126-132 for the duration of the race. It was mostly cloudy and the sun barely appeared if much at all.

2015 Madison Mini – 1:45:46 (known short course)
HM PR to beat – 1:30:35
Predicted Time – 1:28:50

Official PRs: 0

Unofficial PRs: 0

Official Overall Standing: 147 / 2522 (5.8%)
Official Gender Standing: 122 / 1127 (10.8%)
Official Division Standing: 21 / 153 (13.7%)

Wrapped up the race by heading straight for some water, chocolate milk and then the parking structure. We had to leave for Chicago pretty quick afterwards so it was paramount I kept moving so I could get to the car and head back to Heidi’s. Passed the PR bell and knew it wasn’t my day to ring it. But maybe another time.

All in all, I don’t have a good answer for why this one went this way. The weather wasn’t ideal, but it was certainly better than what we’ve had recently. I thought going into it a 1:28 was realistic. I thought based on some training data that things were falling into place. I felt relatively strong the last few runs, and my ankle wasn’t bothering me as much the last week. So I really thought I had this one going into it. Not quite sure where to put the finger and say, I should have changed this.

-Should I not have drank 15oz of Maurten right prior to start?
-Should I have drank more water during the race?
-Should I have not poured that water on my head in such high humidity?
-Should I have worn a looser singlet?
-What was going on with my torso?
-What’s up with the ankle?
-Have I lost my racing edge?
-Am I still willing to go “there” or am I seemingly holding myself back for some reason?
-Is this a good judge of current fitness, or a fluke?
-Was I not rested enough? My Stravistix said a +8.6 (which anything above +5 is "fresh"). I was a +6.6 for the Hot2Trot. I was a +22.7 for the Dopey 5k, +22.4 for the Dopey 10k, +18 for the Dopey HM, and +8.8 for the Dopey M.

I have a lot more questions than answers at this point. After walking an additional 10 miles the rest of the day in Chicago, my ankle was tapped out. I don’t think it’s a stress fracture because I still have no pain to touch and can pass the jump test. It seems more like an ankle roll or strain of some sort. I’m thinking it might be because my ankle is flexing too much in my shoes. Both my daily shoes and running shoes are nearly brand new, but still the same shoes as before (just new). So maybe the “give” in the shoe is causing my ankle to roll. Because when I walk bare foot my ankle feels much better. I mean it’s still sore, but I think that’s a lingering feeling from it being rolled/flexed all the time. I decided to try the indoor bike Sunday night to give the ankle a break. I’ve contemplated taking the whole week off from running and just biking this week. I also switched out my daily shoes for an old pair of Kinvara 6s which are super flat and have little give to them. Hoping to test out the theory. I’m just going to take it day by day as I enter the home stretch of Chicago training. At this point, I don’t know what the marathon will bring. But I do know I’ve got some work to do.

I'm probably the last person to give you advice. After all, not only am a relatively new to running, having only done a sum total of 3 half marathons and zero marathons (all last year), but you're MY coach and teaching ME how to run and prepare for and run races and not the other way around. So all I think I can do is offer a few observations. Of the three half marathons I've done, two went great and one was a train wreck. The train wreck one was on a hot April day with a T&D of around 132. This was my second half and I was trying to beat my "PR" set at my first half earlier in the year. I wound up going out pretty fast and was feeling good until around mile 6 when I started getting side stitch cramps. Those slowed me down significantly and the rest of the race was a struggle to say the least. My own ankle was giving me some trouble during that run too, and I got massive blisters and lost a toenail to boot. This is not exactly your experience, but I see some parallels. I believe my cramps were a combination of pushing too hard in an elevated T&D situation (much like your situation) and imperfect form due to ankle and foot issues. Again, this sounds a lot like your situation and I would chalk up much of your (lack of) performance to that. I know you were slow even on a T&D adjusted basis, but I think you'd agree that's an imperfect science, particularly when you're running at an intense level for well over an hour. On the cramps, I do think in my situation at least my form contributed to the onset of my cramps and to them sticking around for the balance of the race. Not sure if that could have been an issue for you, but if your ankle was not feeling great, it might have caused your form to be less than ideal. In terms of your liquids intake--again I'm not very experienced, but the idea of downing 15oz of ANYTHING immediately before a long run and having it slosh around inside me sounds nuts would definitely lead to cramps and probably bowel problems. I can't imagine pouring the water on your head to be that much of a negative as it probably helped cool you off more than anything, unless it got your shoes wet and impacting your form...

Anyway, I worried I had lost my edge too, but in my heart I knew I hadn't and that it just wasn't ideal conditions and it wasn't my day. On my third half, which was in much better conditions I crushed my PR by 5 minutes and was so invigorated about the concept of running that I signed up for a training plan from you!

Bottom line--maybe some things to think about but I'm seeing no reason not to think you're totally fine.

Anyway, I currently can only dream of running a 1:37 half marathon (and I do aspire to that, by the way) so I'll just keep rooting for you from the cheap seats and putting your thoughtful strategies to use in my own hopeful improvement over time!

Billy- You did awesome! Some days are just not good days! I have had a great race followed by a not so great race since I started racing. Very interesting. I don't think this race represents ur current fitness level. The maurten you took might be a little too much in the period u did. I am working on my timing on that stuff and I think one pack of the 320 should be consumed in over an hour like Christian was saying. And the ankle problem by itself is enough to throw u off in a race. Keep working towards ur mail goal man! You have enough time before u race Chicago. Keep ur head up. ;)

Thanks! I definitely hope the great race is coming up next. :D

Yea, I definitely fumbled the math on the Maurten stuff. It was my intention to stay below the 90g carbs per hour, but then simultaneously knew I needed liquid with me since there was going to be so much distance between the first few aid stations. Will definitely need to review strategy for Chicago in that aspect. Ankle has felt much better today since completely changing footwear so hoping I've found a solution.

I'm probably the last person to give you advice. After all, not only am a relatively new to running, having only done a sum total of 3 half marathons and zero marathons (all last year), but you're MY coach and teaching ME how to run and prepare for and run races and not the other way around. So all I think I can do is offer a few observations. Of the three half marathons I've done, two went great and one was a train wreck. The train wreck one was on a hot April day with a T&D of around 132. This was my second half and I was trying to beat my "PR" set at my first half earlier in the year. I wound up going out pretty fast and was feeling good until around mile 6 when I started getting side stitch cramps. Those slowed me down significantly and the rest of the race was a struggle to say the least. My own ankle was giving me some trouble during that run too, and I got massive blisters and lost a toenail to boot. This is not exactly your experience, but I see some parallels. I believe my cramps were a combination of pushing too hard in an elevated T&D situation (much like your situation) and imperfect form due to ankle and foot issues. Again, this sounds a lot like your situation and I would chalk up much of your (lack of) performance to that. I know you were slow even on a T&D adjusted basis, but I think you'd agree that's an imperfect science, particularly when you're running at an intense level for well over an hour. On the cramps, I do think in my situation at least my form contributed to the onset of my cramps and to them sticking around for the balance of the race. Not sure if that could have been an issue for you, but if your ankle was not feeling great, it might have caused your form to be less than ideal. In terms of your liquids intake--again I'm not very experienced, but the idea of downing 15oz of ANYTHING immediately before a long run and having it slosh around inside me sounds nuts would definitely lead to cramps and probably bowel problems. I can't imagine pouring the water on your head to be that much of a negative as it probably helped cool you off more than anything, unless it got your shoes wet and impacting your form...

Anyway, I worried I had lost my edge too, but in my heart I knew I hadn't and that it just wasn't ideal conditions and it wasn't my day. On my third half, which was in much better conditions I crushed my PR by 5 minutes and was so invigorated about the concept of running that I signed up for a training plan from you!

Bottom line--maybe some things to think about but I'm seeing no reason not to think you're totally fine.

Anyway, I currently can only dream of running a 1:37 half marathon (and I do aspire to that, by the way) so I'll just keep rooting for you from the cheap seats and putting your thoughtful strategies to use in my own hopeful improvement over time!

Don't even worry about how new you are to running. All advice is valuable regardless of your experience level. It's about trying to put the pieces together, so I appreciate the input.

I think these are all great things to think about and review in advance of the next race. In my three attempts at drinking the Maurten prior to running, I've actually never had a sloshing problem. It sits quite well for me. But I think having that many carbs may have played some role. And the form changes, ankle, cramps, wet shirt all likely had some small/big impact on various levels. Ultimately the race served it's purpose. It was practice for Chicago. Some things worked, and some things may need some review.

Dreams are simply a reality that is yet to happen. You'll get that 1:37 HM if you're willing to do what it takes. If you want it, PROVE IT, by doing what is necessary to get it. ::yes::

Well and if he plans to race any, you'd want more accurate data (otherwise it'll show you flying way too fast). Or if he doesn't want to appear to be the fastest person playing. Right before I stopped using it, I had to switch my guy to like 300 pounds to give a somewhat accurate FTP value (otherwise I got flagged for a miscalibrated setup type situation). But no guarantee he'll have the same experience I did there at the tail end of my last use of it.

ha ha, I hadn't thought about how it might show up in the racing simulation - as being really fast or really slow. It's a funny picture. But a good point. Thanks.

Sorry the race didn't go the way you wanted. Luckily it was just a practice run for Chicago and you gave plenty of time to iron out all the kinks. You brought up a lot of good questions and have been given a lot of great advice and support. Sometimes a race just gets away from you despite being physically ready. Although you seemed mentally tough, I wonder if all those things added up. It's very hard to run with ankle pain and side stitches though. I remember fighting some ankle tendon pain mentioned earlier. Although I had no issues walking, once I started point massaging the muscle near the tendon, it illicited significant pain.

Question: have you ever considered becoming a professional coach? I wonder if whatever class/course you might need as a requirement might also help you train. A girl I contacted about local trails mentioned she was a certified running coach and she had just qualified for Boston.

Also, my husband brought home our dog's ashes and paw print. I haven't had the strength to even come near them yet.

Anyways good luck with training. I know it will happen for you! Maybe another training run with your tweaks soon so you can stand by the whole "nothing new on race day" rule.

Sorry the race didn't go the way you wanted. Luckily it was just a practice run for Chicago and you gave plenty of time to iron out all the kinks. You brought up a lot of good questions and have been given a lot of great advice and support. Sometimes a race just gets away from you despite being physically ready. Although you seemed mentally tough, I wonder if all those things added up. It's very hard to run with ankle pain and side stitches though.

Thanks! Lots of good thoughts!

I remember fighting some ankle tendon pain mentioned earlier. Although I had no issues walking, once I started point massaging the muscle near the tendon, it illicited significant pain.

Seems different then. I still have no pain to the touch. It has definitely felt much better the last day or so. Tried to run in an old pair of shoes for a few moments and bailed on it because the old shoes just didn't feel right. So I was on the bike last night. We'll see what today holds.

Question: have you ever considered becoming a professional coach? I wonder if whatever class/course you might need as a requirement might also help you train. A girl I contacted about local trails mentioned she was a certified running coach and she had just qualified for Boston.

:D :surfweb:

Also, my husband brought home our dog's ashes and paw print. I haven't had the strength to even come near them yet.

:hug:

Anyways good luck with training. I know it will happen for you! Maybe another training run with your tweaks soon so you can stand by the whole "nothing new on race day" rule.

Thanks! Probably won't do another race, but will probably treat one of these last big training runs like one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter