The Running Thread - 2018

I've never done it, it looks super fun. Hoping it is going on the week if the 2nd. As for getting from FW to anywhere we found Lyft worked well and we always had a ride within 5 minutes. YMMV depending on crowds and demand.
Regarding Fort Wilderness & Lyft, if coming from the area near the BBQ (near the dock?) would I have to take a bus to get to a Lyft?
I am not sure that taking a boat to MK or a hotel and then getting a Lyft is a better option given the probability of traffic on Dec 24.

Fun Friday QOTD: What traditions do you have when you make a trip to WDW that aren't really "mainstream"?

We make a point of doing a dinner at a restaurant at a different resort than where we're staying. The past few trips, this has been Boma - this year, we're doing Whispering Canyon instead because we haven't been to the WL in several trips.

Does anyone recommend the Regatta Run at Yacht & Beach over the Derby Dash at Saratoga? They seem to be at the same time. I will be at PO so neither seem conveniently located.

I've only done the Regatta Run so can't really compare it to the Derby Dash but can share my experience! It's very well organized with the start at the Bayside Marina which is just outside the YC adjacent to the Friendship boat launch. The run takes you towards the S/D bridge where you veer off to walkway that runs down the canal to HS. You run the walkway to just past the overpass and do a u-turn back towards the BW. You run the complete Boardwalk and then head over the bridge back down to the BC/YC, under the SAB slide and back to the Bayside Marina. Swag and refreshment for us included; bottled water, bananas, Kind nut bars, small tote bag with ear buds, YC pin and YC sun glasses! It was a fun time!
I did the Derby Dash in October. It is one lap around the published running path at Saratoga Springs. It was fun. I did a summary on the Disney Resort Run FAQ. Here is the link: https://www.disboards.com/posts/59870162/

Also, should you be there on 12/31 (sadly not me), The poly has ' the pineapple dash' at 8:30.

We'll be at WDW on 12/31 and 1/1. Not sure we'll be running in the mornings, but it's nice to know what's possible.

Fun Friday QOTD: What traditions do you have when you make a trip to WDW that aren't really "mainstream"?

My friends and I always meet for ice cream at Beaches & Cream on Saturday afternoon during marathon weekend. We find it to be a great way to reconnect and catch up with each other since we don't see each other much or any during the year.

ATTQOTD: I don't really have traditions that are not mainstream. We always try to do something new on each trip. When we go with the kids, I get a picture of them in front of Spaceship Earth which I keep in an album. January will be their 15th trip. They were 5 and 8 on their first trip and are 19 and 22 now. It is cool to look back and see how they have grown up at Disney.

Regarding Fort Wilderness & Lyft, if coming from the area near the BBQ (near the dock?) would I have to take a bus to get to a Lyft?
I am not sure that taking a boat to MK or a hotel and then getting a Lyft is a better option given the probability of traffic on Dec 24.
Take the internal bus to the front

ATTQOTD: I have a specific cart in each park where I get my popcorn, and I have to get it from those places every trip. We also have a specific spot on the Boardwalk where we take a selfie.

This weekend we have the following folks with races:

15 - @camaker - Seashore Nature Trail 50k (Finish / N/A)
15 - @BikeFan - Surfin Santa 5 Miler (NG / N/A)

Best of luck this weekend folks! Hope yall have a great race and look forward to hearing how it went for yall.

Woohoo both Virginia Beach races! I’m more concerned about the amount of rain we’re going to get tonight and how the trails will be for the 50K than the actual rain during the event. They are saying it should be light throughout the race; hopefully the tree cover will keep everyone from getting too soaked! I did 18 out there last week in rain and snow and stayed relatively dry. At least it will be warm tomorrow!

@TheHamm might have been answered but you will need to take a bus back to the front of ft Wilderness to get a cab or lyft. The Minnie vans might come back that way but I have not had luck with Minnie vans the two times I tried so I don’t recommend them. I stay at the fort a lot, though I have not done the 5ks. They are fun but sounds like you have a lot going on. I might skip the run in favor of the golf cart parade.

ATTQOTD: Two things we do every trip that are known about but maybe not the most popular thing. I drink the Beverly at Club Cool and we get DD a pearl at the Pick a Pearl thing in Japan. Long term plans for the pearl for DD. Currently they are all sitting in their respective Ziplock bag they put them in.

Back Update: Thought I was good to go, we that is until I tried to run last night. Like 0.1 miles in I could feel it and just shut it down :(

@LSUlakes Did you forget getting cinnamon roll at Gaston's?

We've gotten pretty good at winging dining for a few of our days. It's kind of fun and adventurous! :P

@camaker good luck on the 50k. Bummer that the weather is going to suck. I have the same fear for my race in feb. I considered going to the trail today to run in the elements cold, wind rain, but the trail gets sloppy and I just could not convince myself. Did Treadmill instead, will just have to do my long run on Sunday on the trails, they will still be sloppy with big puddles.

@TheHamm might have been answered but you will need to take a bus back to the front of ft Wilderness to get a cab or lyft. The Minnie vans might come back that way but I have not had luck with Minnie vans the two times I tried so I don’t recommend them. I stay at the fort a lot, though I have not done the 5ks. They are fun but sounds like you have a lot going on. I might skip the run in favor of the golf cart parade.

This seems to be the most probable outcome. I think I will do one of the Thursday runs next week, making for 3 short runs that week and accept that I will have zero runs the week of Christmas. My kids are not interested in me running, they will be interested in the golf cart parade (from a comfy stroller seat!) or just hanging out with Santa at the resort. I keep reminding myself that soon enough they will not want to hang out with me and there will be plenty of time to run.

QOTD: Staying in the theoretical world of questions today. What is a bucket list type trip you would like to take? Catch here is the trip has to involve some sort of physical activity. That could be hiking, running, golfing, skiing, ect.

You get a special medal for completing all the world marathon majors, so that's on my list! (Very pie in the sky, but you never know.) Other than that, I'd love to run the Rome Marathon.

I'm not sure this is far outside the mainstream, but maybe it is. There aren't that many people (comparatively) who do the same now that I think about it... We schedule Magic Kingdom for our last night and be sure to catch the Kiss Goodnight. It gets DW every time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter