The Running Thread - 2018

Looks like you are not the only one with issues with the Omaha Marathon, @cavepig! The race results haven't even been posted yet. Issues seem to run pretty deep with this race...

https://www.omaha.com/livewellnebra...cle_832909c0-7042-5ce7-b6a1-ca28c172052e.html

Yes, everyone is mad! The lady who wrote that actually called me yesterday as I was very vocal in a FB group about BQ people needing times pronto. So, we chatted and I told her how they have till Wednesday 5 eastern to submit for a BQ for 2019. That got published and people posted it to Omaha Marathon's page and they finally called her back after seeing it midday today. HITS was clueless I guess.

Then finally they put up results.

My result is correct luckily. However, lots of people (in the half I know for sure) have wrong times, like an hour over what they ran. It's terrible. Like no half times from 1:55-2:00 are listed, which is kind of strange as people ran those times they said but have an hour over listed. They use only start and finish overhead chip readers. For the Full there was a dude with a clipboard at the turn, that was odd. They false advertise terribly.

4 years ago it had issues when I did the half with them, but this year was so unbelievably bad.

HITS Endurance is the worst ever!

@camaker I'm curious how you saw the article? I hope it's getting shared all over groups so nobody comes here for it for their 50 states as long as HITS runs it.

Last edited:
Thought you may know the answer to this. With the dedicated pacers, at the point where they fall back do they end up completing the race or do they just drop out? (maybe the answers is both scenarios happen?) I know with the breaking 2 project they had guys coming in and out which can't happen in a real race. I just wonder what happens with the real race team mates.

As has been said already, the pacers drop out along the way, usually well before the finish. Most races with pacers will have them paid by the race to pace the elite field as a whole. Berlin this year was an exception in that Kipchoge chose his own pacers, and there was another group of pacers about a minute behind him for much of the race to pace other elites. As the WR gets faster, it's going to be harder and harder to find pacers who can keep such a quick pace for so long without resorting to tricks like rotating people in and out. Finding a pacer for 61-minute first half is doable, but then where do find the one to pace you to a 59 second half if you can't bring him in along the way?

ATTQOTD: It will happen, the human body and the knowledge we get on it are amazing.
I am amazed everytime I come back from running so can only imagine what athletes can do!
As a side note, when I ran one of my first long run, I had listened to a guided run on my Nike App which was an interview of Eliud Kipchoge on his Nike sub-2 experiment run. At one point during the interview Coach Bennett tells how, while watching the experiment, he noticed that Eliud smiled the entire way. That really stayed with me. Whenever I am having a rough moment while running, I think of their calm and confident voices and I smile.

As has been said already, the pacers drop out along the way, usually well before the finish. Most races with pacers will have them paid by the race to pace the elite field as a whole. Berlin this year was an exception in that Kipchoge chose his own pacers, and there was another group of pacers about a minute behind him for much of the race to pace other elites. As the WR gets faster, it's going to be harder and harder to find pacers who can keep such a quick pace for so long without resorting to tricks like rotating people in and out. Finding a pacer for 61-minute first half is doable, but then where do find the one to pace you to a 59 second half if you can't bring him in along the way?
And to think... I am happy with a sub-10 minute mile :)

@huskies90 thank you for the fun game even though I was humbled greatly! :)

ATTQOTDY: I have run as long as 12 hours in a race and my feet where sore, but it is no contest for a rope drop to “I think I am the last one out of the park” day. I have never felt foot pain quite like that!

ATTQOTD: I do think the 2 hour barrier will be broken, but it is aways away. I do not think it will be in the current ranks of elite runners but some young kid out there in the next 10-15 years will break it.

Lastly, I got my cast off today and back into a boot. I am allowed to (while using crutches) place weight on my foot. My first step was exciting for a hot second and then as I applied weight - ouch!!! It was a bit of a reality check, but still exciting to enter the next phase of recovery. And the scar is going to be wicked!

I'm pondering a long-term goal of 'finish a half marathon in less time than the marathon world record'.

Maybe less than the marathon world record for my age, which gives me a bit more wiggle room.

My goal in most races is to make it halfway before the winner finishes. Was a tough one to hit at Comrades. We crossed halfway mere minutes before the winner finished in 5:30-something.

On a related note, here's an interesting thread on if Kipchoge can ever break 2 hours

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=9017962

Last edited:

Dear Mother Nature,
Earlier this year when I said I would rather run on the hottest day of the year, rather than the coldest day of the year, I DID NOT MEAN EVERY DAY FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!
Thanks, OSGG

Our highs have been 10-12 degrees above average and are going stay that way all week. I still haven't seen a low under 70. I also haven't seen a morning humidity under 95%. It feels like August instead of mid-September.

End of weather rant.

I have given up and am on the treadmill until the weather improves. I noticed I was getting headaches and/or an upset stomach the evenings after I had run.

Traveling question: I am flying Spirit (womp womp) to Oregon in a few weeks and I need to bring my fuel with me. But am I allowed to bring gels on my carry on?!

Not sure about Spirit but wanted to let you know I flew last month on Delta with Energy Gels. They were in a plastic Ziploc bag. The new scanning equipment in Atlanta did not like the gels and it earned me some unwanted attention from TSA. I explained to the agent and their supervisor what the gels were for. They let me keep them but didn't seem happy about it. Hopefully you will not have any issues.

ATTQOTD: I think the sub 2 hour mark will be broken sooner than later. My guestimation would be in the next 3 years. They are so close, someone's gonna do it.

Beer run this weekend! I'm in the thick of a bunch of personal commitments, so I'm trying to remember why I decided it was a good idea to sign up for this. Gotta figure out my Lyft account, too, so I'm not driving myself home afterward.

I'm pondering a long-term goal of 'finish a half marathon in less time than the marathon world record'.

Maybe less than the marathon world record for my age, which gives me a bit more wiggle room.
Funny enough, the Mercedes Marathon/Half Marathon is a double loop for the marathon which gives me the unique challenge to try to finish my half before the winner of the full finishes. I am 2-2...

Not sure about Spirit but wanted to let you know I flew last month on Delta with Energy Gels. They were in a plastic Ziploc bag. The new scanning equipment in Atlanta did not like the gels and it earned me some unwanted attention from TSA. I explained to the agent and their supervisor what the gels were for. They let me keep them but didn't seem happy about it. Hopefully you will not have any issues.
Thanks! I just checked and the race will have Gu at some aid stations. I might just try to bring some on the plane and if they make a huff just toss them I guess knowing I won't be SOL in the long run.

QOTD: The Berlin Marathon was ran over the weekend, and a new world record was set for the race by a large margin. The old record was 2:02:57, Mr. Eliud Kipchoge ran it in 2:01:39, taking nearly a 1 minute and 20 seconds off the previous record. If I recall correctly he was part of the nike sub 2 project. So far todays question I wanted to revisit the question of do you think a sub 2 hour marathon is possible, and if you do, how many years until someone does it?

ATTQOTD: YES it will happen. I do not think anyone who is currently racing will do it, but I think in another 15 years it happens.

It will happen. As technology progresses in nutrition and sneaker design it will happen.

@huskies90 thank you for the fun game even though I was humbled greatly! :)

ATTQOTDY: I have run as long as 12 hours in a race and my feet where sore, but it is no contest for a rope drop to “I think I am the last one out of the park” day. I have never felt foot pain quite like that!

ATTQOTD: I do think the 2 hour barrier will be broken, but it is aways away. I do not think it will be in the current ranks of elite runners but some young kid out there in the next 10-15 years will break it.

Lastly, I got my cast off today and back into a boot. I am allowed to (while using crutches) place weight on my foot. My first step was exciting for a hot second and then as I applied weight - ouch!!! It was a bit of a reality check, but still exciting to enter the next phase of recovery. And the scar is going to be wicked!

Awesome. Yep, it's going to hurt for a bit. But, it will get stronger and before you know it you will be back to running and this will be in the past. As for the scar, you can barely see the one around my ankle. The one on top of my foot, that's one is rough. But, each day I get frustrated about my running I look down, see the scar, it reminds me how far I have come since I began running and that I am lucky to still be running.

I was listening to the Marathon Training Academy podcast on my run this morning. They interviewed Steven Boone, the founder of the 50 states club. He has run 717 full marathons in his 31 years of running. I just found that interesting and worth sharing. :rolleyes1

And I thought I was cool for having completed three so far. :rolleyes:

QOTD: The Berlin Marathon was ran over the weekend, and a new world record was set for the race by a large margin. The old record was 2:02:57, Mr. Eliud Kipchoge ran it in 2:01:39, taking nearly a 1 minute and 20 seconds off the previous record. If I recall correctly he was part of the nike sub 2 project. So far todays question I wanted to revisit the question of do you think a sub 2 hour marathon is possible, and if you do, how many years until someone does it?

A true sub 2 hour marathon with no pacers and an uncontrolled environment is probably a ways away. I think we will see a sub-2 hour with and asterisk sooner than that but not a straight out run with no outside help. By outside help I mean technology that returns an unnatural amount of energy to the athlete like special shoes, pacers that jump into the race after the start, a controlled loop course like the sub-2 attempt, etc. I want to see an athlete go out and run with no special anything and break the barrier and I think that is a generation away.

This is the nicest thing I have seen in a long, long time!! (Well besides the stupid thunderstorms!)

DniW0h8WwAA-Hiq.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter