The Running Thread - 2018

ATTOQTD: Yes, it will happen for sure. I think within the next 5 years and I think (and hope) Kipchoge will be the one to do it!

Dear Mother Nature,
Earlier this year when I said I would rather run on the hottest day of the year, rather than the coldest day of the year, I DID NOT MEAN EVERY DAY FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!
Thanks, OSGG

Our highs have been 10-12 degrees above average and are going stay that way all week. I still haven't seen a low under 70. I also haven't seen a morning humidity under 95%. It feels like August instead of mid-September.

End of weather rant.

AND its Peak Week for me.:mad:

ATTQOTD: I also say within the next 5 years it will happen.

The news has been saying we would get relief from heat and humidity today so I just checked the weather app and it was so beautiful I almost cried. Currently 83 with just 66% humidity. I’m dealing with a little PF flare up but I might just have to go for a walk at lunch.

ATTQOTD: I'd say yes, it is possible. Since we just don't know what medicine and technology have in store for the future in terms of recovery and injury prevention and medical treatment and all that. I think as long as the people who are near the goal believe the goal can be broken, then it eventually will. Time frame...No Clue. But I hope I get to see it.

PS: It's 5k season by me now. Every block has another sign advertising them for the local schools and churches. This year I'm so focused on my big race that I'm skipping them, but maybe next year I'll go on a local 5k bender? I have FOMO and feel left out even though I'm literally running almost every day way more than 3.1 miles on these same streets. Y'all can relate right?

ATTQOTD: I think it will happen, but I think it will be 10-15 years down the road. It was 4 years between official WRs, both in Berlin, and the Breaking 2 thing was close in a real controlled attempts

Dear Mother Nature,
Earlier this year when I said I would rather run on the hottest day of the year, rather than the coldest day of the year, I DID NOT MEAN EVERY DAY FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!
Thanks, OSGG

Our highs have been 10-12 degrees above average and are going stay that way all week. I still haven't seen a low under 70. I also haven't seen a morning humidity under 95%. It feels like August instead of mid-September.

End of weather rant.
It was so muggy this morning. Looking forward to my cool mornings again. Please come back. I miss you.

@huskies90 That was SO much fun! I totally wish I didn't space on submitting my answers but it was still cool see watch the magic happen! I would love for someone to do a Disneyland one because I feel like I have a better grasp on DL. Haha.

@ZellyB You're the queen!
giphy.gif

ATTQOTD: Heck to the yes it's gonna happen. And it's gonna be sooner rather than later. And I can't wait because that's amazing. Hoping it will be Kipchoge because he deserves it.

Thanks to everyone who answered my gel carry on question! (LOL I never put my things in a 1 quart ziplock, but I guess I will this time.)

@LSUlakes Updates to my races:
I ended up deferring my race that was this past weekend to next year, so no time to submit to you. Go ahead and delete it. Then if you could add the following please and thanks:

October
7 - jennamfeo - Oregon Women's Half Marathon (1:59:59 / N/A)

QOTD: The Berlin Marathon was ran over the weekend, and a new world record was set for the race by a large margin. The old record was 2:02:57, Mr. Eliud Kipchoge ran it in 2:01:39, taking nearly a 1 minute and 20 seconds off the previous record. If I recall correctly he was part of the nike sub 2 project. So far todays question I wanted to revisit the question of do you think a sub 2 hour marathon is possible, and if you do, how many years until someone does it?

Sub-2 is definitely possible under exactly the right conditions. Another effort like Nike's Breaking 2 project will be needed to get there since it's not going to happen in a race, even one as not-a-true-race as Berlin. Kipchoge certainly has the mental fortitude to get there, as he proved by lowering the WR once he knew he could run that fast thanks to the Breaking 2 run. Can he do it physically at age 33? I'm not sure about that. Dropping another second per mile off his Breaking 2 time will be a monumental task.

Sub-2 is definitely possible under exactly the right conditions. Another effort like Nike's Breaking 2 project will be needed to get there since it's not going to happen in a race, even one as not-a-true-race as Berlin. Kipchoge certainly has the mental fortitude to get there, as he proved by lowering the WR once he knew he could run that fast thanks to the Breaking 2 run. Can he do it physically at age 33? I'm not sure about that. Dropping another second per mile off his Breaking 2 time will be a monumental task.

So, I'm pretty clueless about the various world marathon races, but why is Berlin "not a true race"?

So, I'm pretty clueless about the various world marathon races, but why is Berlin "not a true race"?

They tend to allow more customized and personalized pacing and pacers than other races do. Some allow none at all, and Berlin is at the other extreme where each main contender is allowed to bring their own personal pacers because the race organizers' main goal is to have people set records on their course. I'm not saying they are wrong to do so because watching the marathon the other day was incredible, but even with personalized pacers and a pace car potentially providing assistance, he couldn't get close to sub-2. If he can't do it under those ideal conditions in a race, he won't do it until there's another dedicated project again.

They tend to allow more customized and personalized pacing and pacers than other races do. Some allow none at all, and Berlin is at the other extreme where each main contender is allowed to bring their own personal pacers because the race organizers' main goal is to have people set records on their course. I'm not saying they are wrong to do so because watching the marathon the other day was incredible, but even with personalized pacers and a pace car potentially providing assistance, he couldn't get close to sub-2. If he can't do it under those ideal conditions in a race, he won't do it until there's another dedicated project again.

Thought you may know the answer to this. With the dedicated pacers, at the point where they fall back do they end up completing the race or do they just drop out? (maybe the answers is both scenarios happen?) I know with the breaking 2 project they had guys coming in and out which can't happen in a real race. I just wonder what happens with the real race team mates.

Thought you may know the answer to this. With the dedicated pacers, at the point where they fall back do they end up completing the race or do they just drop out? (maybe the answers is both scenarios happen?) I know with the breaking 2 project they had guys coming in and out which can't happen in a real race. I just wonder what happens with the real race team mates.

At the Houston Chevron Marathon, they usually drop out. This past year, the woman's winner pacer dropped out with about 100 meters to go, once it was clear his pacee was going to win. The dedicated pacers are usually well paid to do the job they are charged to do. Looked like the pacers in Berlin wore the same type of top as the London marathon earlier this year.

I remember the color analyst for Houston said there have been some occurrences where a pacer ended up winning the race they were supposed to be pacing for someone else....

I finished the Omaha Marathon yesterday. It was so hot, humid and sunny, seriously brutal in the direct sun a lot! I was off pace from the start, just so muggy and really fell off the 2nd half. I ate like 8 gus including the one at the start and refilled my 20 oz. water bottle 7 times on course for drinking and dumping on my head. A lot of speedy guys were flaking out and some were with medics due to the heat.

I took :30 walk breaks at like mile 15ish to regroup, hydrate more and reset. I feel that helped and felt better but then my left calf kept seizing up the last 4 miles so more :30 walk breaks. I've had a leg strain that held up okay luckily.

I finished in 4:07:02 so not my goal but I'll take it in the conditions. First half was 1:52, 2nd half 2:15. I guess I was 2nd in my age group, a friend picked up the extremely cheap frame with just print out with the place in it for me.

Now, I do NOT recommend to run this to anyone ever. It is put on by HITS, they are out of New York. They bought the "Omaha Marathon" sometime in the last like 8 years and it has gone down the hole. They don't even have results up yet :( No timing mats. The system they use is overhead reading which reads early too on your chip at the start. Some guy I guess was taking numbers at the turnaround to make sure full people all did it all?!?! I don't know, it's so lame.

The course is certified, but they don't set it up correct or something. Basically it's about a quarter long, the length running around the inside of the baseball track (The College World Series stadium). We go out exactly 13.1 and return to the start, but still have to go around the field. Some ladies around me were asking about being off on our Garmins and we were all the same off all of a sudden compared to their markers. And it stayed that much off the rest of the way. There is no weaving or anything like at a crowded race or Disney to add that much. Lots of straightaways you can't even add on to either. The course is okay, but the back half of the full is awful. Some hills, but nothing awful.

They didn't even put their sponsors or themselves on the very lame long sleeve tech shirt.

NO warnings about the Heat. Medics were out and I did see them often at least.

They say they'll have Hammer gels, they were not at any stops. They use Heed which many people dislike. I brought my bottle and own gels knowing from the past I hate Heed.

After food sucked. They did have chocolate milk luckily. But I didn't even see bananas, not that I eat them, but really no bananas.

I think I'm done with them, I had ran the half 4 years ago with them and was disappointed, but thought I'll give them another chance and it's close, but this was by far worse. They only want to make money and for what we are charged we get barely anything. They are offer many distances and lots do the half but the full was pitiful for runners. Their numbers just keep dropping as people are disgusted with them.

So, local clubs have 2 marathons though the "Heartland" next weekend and "Nebraska" a few weeks away that were started up recently basically in protest to HITS. Small crowds, but locally run and I've heard they respect the runners, so there's more options, but with 3 Fall marathons over 5 weeks in the same city, it spreads the volunteers and runners out.

This is long, but if you want 50 states, seriously don't do this one!

Looks like you are not the only one with issues with the Omaha Marathon, @cavepig! The race results haven't even been posted yet. Issues seem to run pretty deep with this race...

https://www.omaha.com/livewellnebra...cle_832909c0-7042-5ce7-b6a1-ca28c172052e.html

I feel like I went down a rabbit hole of articles about pacers during lunch (fun fact, pacers are called rabbits!)
Chicago eliminated pacers in 2015 for elites and are bringing them back for this years race. Looks like they want to set some records again. Read about people accusing Rupp of having a covert pacer last year. All very interesting stuff.
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loc...ings-Back-Pacers-for-2018-Race-485579911.html

Dear Mother Nature,
Thanks, OSGG

End of weather rant.

It's bad outside. I was looking back at activities in Garmin this morning and it’s definitely much warmer than this time last year. I’m tired of being covered in sweat just by walking out the front door and running in wet clothes.

ATTQOTD: I read about him having pacers throughout the race. It makes me wonder how he would have done on his own with no pacers. I think someday we might see a sub-2 marathon. Probably in controlled conditions like that Nike project first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter