The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD:
Brooks Ghost shoes. On my 16th pair. 3 brand new pair in the stash. I've taken them out of the box and done 12 miles with no issues.
Wright Socks double layer socks. Either Coolmesh II or Running II. Must be white and low quarter for running. Colors for casual wear.
Fitletic Neo Belt Pack. Comfortable, I never know it's there. Big enough for a phone (at least an iPhone 5!), keys, gels, etc. Also serves double duty on vacation when you're looking for that tourist fanny-pack look!
CW-X Compression shorts for winter running. They're too hot for me for summer, even the ones with mesh panels, but perfect for winter. I think @FFigawi recommended them.
Not picky on shirts. I have various brands, including name brands and Target or Walmart cheapos. They all seem about the same.

QOTD: What is your must have gear? Favorite hat? Sweat band? Winter hat? Electronic device? The only pair of shorts you ever run in? Fluid or nutrition carrying item? Lucky rabbit foot? Make a list, name the brand, shout it from the mountain tops!
ATTQOTD: EVERYTHING I run with is a must-have, so this is gonna get long, lol!

Clothing:
Skirt Sports skorts: plenty of pockets, amazing fit (sorry Sparkle lovers - they just do not work for me!), durable
Athleta capris/tights: lots of pockets, perfect fit, soft and comfy
Asics Circuit 7 and Core singlets: soooo soft and breathable
Under Armor Heat Gear tees: just right for when it's cool enough that I want my shoulders covered, but still light and breezy enough for FL
SmartWool socks - perfect in extreme heat AND cold
HeadSweats visors and hats: soak up sweat and superior shade

Gear:
iPhone running iSmoothRun app: all my music, plus alerts for intervals, pace, distance, fueling
TuneBelt armband to hold iPhone: no frills, comfortable, and it's held up for years
Yur Buds ear buds: they don't budge and produce great sound
ID on Me ID bracelet: lists medical conditions and allergies
amphipod handheld bottle: ergonomic design is nearly effortless to carry for hours and the little pouch holds Nuun and lip balm

Etc.:
Nuun: just-right for my electrolyte needs
GU and Clif Shot gels: compact, easy to use
Generic zip-lock plastic bags and cling wrap: for keeping phone and car key fob dry
Kiss My Face 30SPF lip balm: the only lip sunscreen I'm not allergic to - bonus: the minty scent is refreshing when the long run get rough

ATTQOTD:

I always wear a sweatband of some sort to keep the sweat and hair out of my eyes. I'll wear my Oakley EVZero sunglasses even when the sun isn't out, just because I'm used to them. I also wear a base layer compression shirt to prevent chafing.

Outside of that, I've become much more malleable in my footwear choices in recent years since they discontinued the shoe I used to wear all the time. I've never had much preference on other gear. I don't carry a lot of stuff during races, but I've got a Fitletic belt that I used for my bibs because I could never get a bib on anything resembling straight or centered when I was using the provided pins or buttons.

QOTD: What is your must have gear? Favorite hat? Sweat band? Winter hat? Electronic device? The only pair of shorts you ever run in? Fluid or nutrition carrying item? Lucky rabbit foot? Make a list, name the brand, shout it from the mountain tops!

Shirt: UA Heat Gear, Sport Science "It's a Stretch"
Shorts: CW-X compression shorts, Asics 2-in-1 shorts
Shoes: Asics Kayano
Socks: Asics Kayano short tab
Sunglasses: Rudy Project Swifty
Watch: Garmin 920
Fuel: Tailwind, Clif bloks, Sport Beans
Anti-Chafe: Body Glide, Tri Slide

This is pretty much all I use :)

ATQOTD: The only must-haves that I need are a small towel for wiping the sweat off my face/eyes, Wright socks for my feet, running underwear, and my entry level Garmin watch.

Other gear:
Shoes-I am rotating between four different types of shoes
Hat and sunglasses-inexpensive but nice for a sunny or windy day
Shirts-any type of moisture wicking shirt
Shorts-any type of shorts (just got a great pair of athletic shorts with big pockets at Wal-mart for $8. Like the long shorts not the shorty-shorts!
Arm band-for my phone and listen to podcasts or music,
Water bottle-UA squeeze type bottle that holds 32 ounces
Fuel-E gels or protein bars when needed (but rarely take fuel)

My one must have running item are my Oiselle long roga shorts (3 pockets, 2 with zippers, 1 large enough for my cell phone). With a 6 inch inseam they are the perfect length for both running and everyday activities. I have lost count of how many I own, but it has to be close to 10. They are the perfect short!

Other items that I regularly wear/use include:
- Oiselle runner trucker (great designs and FOLDABLE)
- Oiselle flyout tops (tank, short sleeve, long sleeve, mile one pullover) While delicate, this fabric is amazing!
- Oiselle pocket jogger capris (for when my long rogas aren’t quite warm enough...These are amazingly soft!)
- Garmin
- Hoka Gaviotas
- Amphipod handheld
- nuun (hydration for running and life...I love this stuff!)

ATTQOTD:

Must haves:
iPhone, AirPods and my Spotify running playlist
Garmin
Capris: Lululemon - must have drawstring and side pockets for my phone
Top: Lululemon Sculpt Tank - so I can wear whatever bra I want.
Bra: I wear Brooks Juno but recently discovered Lululemon's Speed Up Bra. Comfy with minimal bounce without looking squished so I ordered 2 more yesterday.
Socks: Lululemon Light Speed Sock Silver
Hat: DVC hats that were sitting in my closet have now come in handy. Lululemon hat for longer / sweatier runs

Yes, I love Lululemon. :)

For races:
Tissues and hand sanitizer for pit stops.
Nathan belt
iPod Shuffle as a backup in case my phone / AirPods die. I NEED my music!

ATTQOTD: Brooks Ghost shoes, Brooks Sherpa shorts, HeadSweats Visor, and my Garmin 935. I use an Amphipod water belt when I must, but I'm a minimalist runner and really dislike carrying anything with me.

I'm new to the forum and this is my first time participating in the Question of the Day! I'm excited to learn more about Run Disney and get to know y'all better!

I have soooo much must-have gear. I got a cheap SPI belt from Amazon that stretches to hold whatever I need. I carry my phone on all runs, and also wear my Apple Watch. I only carry fuel for anything longer than a 10K, but I do Run Gum for basically every race. For nutrition, I love Sport Beans. When I run Ragnars I carry a Nathan handheld water bottle, but only if it's a non-supported leg. For any other race with water stops, I don't bother.

I've also discovered a pair of shorts I really love on Amazon by Baleaf. I was getting too hot on summer runs in capris, but I get really bad chub rub when I wear shorts and nothing seems to help prevent it (I've tried bodyglide, deodorant, and vasoline). These shorts have a longer inseam, but are cooler than capris, and have a pocket big enough for my cell phone.

For post race, my two biggest items are Biofreeze for my legs and a Magnesium Calm drink before bed. Both make a huge difference in my soreness the next day.

I'm new to the forum and this is my first time participating in the Question of the Day! I'm excited to learn more about Run Disney and get to know y'all better!

I have soooo much must-have gear. I got a cheap SPI belt from Amazon that stretches to hold whatever I need. I carry my phone on all runs, and also wear my Apple Watch. I only carry fuel for anything longer than a 10K, but I do Run Gum for basically every race. For nutrition, I love Sport Beans. When I run Ragnars I carry a Nathan handheld water bottle, but only if it's a non-supported leg. For any other race with water stops, I don't bother.

I've also discovered a pair of shorts I really love on Amazon by Baleaf. I was getting too hot on summer runs in capris, but I get really bad chub rub when I wear shorts and nothing seems to help prevent it (I've tried bodyglide, deodorant, and vasoline). These shorts have a longer inseam, but are cooler than capris, and have a pocket big enough for my cell phone.

For post race, my two biggest items are Biofreeze for my legs and a Magnesium Calm drink before bed. Both make a huge difference in my soreness the next day.

OH and how did I almost forget my total must have - the VS sports bras that zip up the front. Holy cow I had no idea what I was missing until I bought my first one a couple of years ago on the semi-annual sale. They are like MAGIC.

QOTD: It's HOT!!!!! Spent most of the weekend trying to stay hydrated from doing yard work. Had headaches, cramps, felt like trash, and it impacted my run on Saturday. Who is looking forward to much cooler weather? When does is typically start cooling down where you live?

I'll take the warmer weather as long as I can. After such a terrible winter I would rather have this.

Running shoes...

I can run in pretty much any sort of running shorts. I prefer a dry-fit or tech shirt but doesn't matter what brand to me. I always have my phone but I could live without that on a run if I had too.

ATTQOTD: Well, I guess the only constant item I use from one brand is my Garmin. I have to wear something on my head due to the sweat I produce, usually a visor, but in cold or rain I will wear a hat, but they are all different brands from races or running club.

I don't have one favorite brand of shirt or short or sock or shoes or nutrition. I usually grab something to wear and put them on, and rotate my shoes (3 in rotation now (2 Brooks and Adidas, and a 4th for speed work(NB))

I have had both and much, much prefer Garmin for tracking my running. The best summary I have is that the Apple Watch can do more, but what the Garmin does, it does better. I found it annoying to have to get apps to do things like run/walk intervals, which I think should be core sports watch functionality. When I had the Apple Watch, I found myself using it for everyday wear, but switching to Garmin for running. It is really going to come down to personal preference and what you need it to do. If you want a one size fits all solution for what to wear all day, then the Apple Watch may be for you. If you want something specifically for running, then a Garmin may be a better bet. Some of the newer Garmins have the ability to play music, so you also might be able to find a compromise there somewhere.

SO MUCH THIS! I just got my first garmin during prime day. Its a vivoactive3. I used the nike app for phone and watch previously. It crashed all the time! Garmin is much much better for data oriented runners. I use my phone for music and intervals still though.

ATTQOTD: Sparkle skirts and Brooks Glycerin shoes. Also pro compression socks. For nutrition its margarita with salt cliff blocks (thanks @Keels for that one) and cliff bars (the nut butter kind). Beats3 ear buds. And as of last week, I'm also now Team Garmin.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: Considering how many years I have been running, I am surprised how little (if any) must have gear I need to run. I am minimalist and like to run with as little as possible: No hats, no sunscreen, no water, no belt, no fuel, no phone, no watch, no specific shorts, shirts, socks, or even running shoes. Prior to this year, the only thing I would typically always run with was an Apple iPod shuffle.

This year, I have eliminated the iPod and added an Apple Series 3 LTE watch and Jaybird X3 bluetooth headphones which I bring just about every run. I now use the watch to stream music and to track all my runs mainly because I am using the info to help me train for the marathon. I have also bought 4 pairs of Asics Nimbus because I got them from Running Warehouse really cheap and I want to train in the same shoes I will use to run the marathon.

Last edited:
My Garmin is the only thing that I absolutely need. I do typically carry my phone for music and safety reasons. I am not loyal to any one brand for socks, shorts, shirts, etc. I do only wear Nike Pegasus for shoes as those have worked really well for me.

Although maybe I should pay more attention as the other day I almost went to the gym with my shorts on inside out. Not sure what I was thinking, but luckily my husband told me or that would have been embarrassing :blush:. He told me I better be nice to him or next time he won't tell me :rotfl:

Clothing & Comfort
Shirt: InkNBurn Tech Tee (INB singlet if it's hot enough)
Shorts: CW-X compression shorts, with a pair of linerless shorts over them
Shoes: Brooks Ghost 10
Socks: Balega Hidden Comfort
Hat: HeadSweats Race Hat
Sunglasses: Prescription sunglasses
Anti-Chafe: Body Glide

Technology

Watch: Garmin 935 w/RoadID on band
Headphones: Trekz Aftershokz Air
Source: iPod Touch

Hydration & Nutrition
Fuel: Huma Gels
Hydration: Orange Mud Gear Vest lL or Endurance Pack (1.5-2.0L), if necessary

ATTQOTD:

Apparel: I prefer Nike tech shirts, but will use other companies provided that it 1)has been tested by me before the race on a long training run and 2)fits the theme of the race. Since I'm tall I have a problem with many shirts in that their XL size is designed for men many inches shorter than me who weigh the same or more than me. Nike seems to design XL shirts for tall people so I stick with them. I wear whatever shorts I feel like though for superstitious reasons, my faster and/or funnest races have all come with BYU Nike shorts so I've started to plan for that.

Shoes: Currently alternate between a pair of Nikes and my New Balance shoes I bought in January. Realizing I may need to break in new running shoes before marathon weekend.

Socks: always compression socks for the long runs. I have pair of CEP. I may need to pick up another pair for marathon weekend. I've learned that wearing a pair after the long run/race helps reduce the soreness also.

Hydaration: I prefer Powerade, can drink Gatorade just fine. I use Powerade in races, but would not hesitate to use Gatorade if necessary.

Fuel: I've used clif bloks in the past, but am currently using sport beans. I like those better since they're easier to chew, but could go back to clif bloks if needed.

ATTQOTD:

Apparel: Probably 99% Nike tempo shorts and tanks with a few Under Armour thrown in. ONLY Zensah socks and sports bras, with the occasional New Balance sports bra. Sunglasses are always Knockaround and I use my FlipBelt on every single run.

Shoes: Current rotation includes Brooks Launch, Glycerin and Ghost with one pair of Asics Gel Nimbus.

Fuel/Hydration: Honey Stinger waffle before runs, Huma gels during, and Gatorage or Powerade during along with water.

Electronics: Garmin Fenix 5s, iPhone and AirPods (these things have become probably my favorite running related purchase).

Addendum to the QOTD: do we need to quantify or qualify what "cooler" means? I mean, when the overnight lows here drop out of the 80s, I consider that "cooler" lol!

Agree with this.

When I run at night and the heat index is still close to 3 digits this stinks.

ATTQOTD:
Shorts - Oiselle Pocket Jogger shorts - LOVE these! They have awesome pockets on the thighs that hold all my stuff and a zip pocket across the back.
or
Skirts - Sparkle Skirts - I am losing my loyalty to them but do love my one black skirt (the only one I have that currently fits) for the pockets.
Tops - No particular brand but want ones that are longer in the back due to switching to mostly compression shorts now.
Socks - Injinji toe socks! Stopped my blisters from my overlapping toes!
Visor - Sparkle Visor. They are made by HeadSweats so they wick sweat awesomely.
Sweatband - Sqoosh hand band. Small company makes these and they are great for wiping sweat in summer and your nose in winter.
Shoes - I have switched up a few times. Currently in Saucony Guides and they are decent.
Hydration Pack - Orange Mudd single barrel hydraquiver. Got this recently and really, really like it. Doesn't bounce like a hydration pack with a bladder does on me.
Tech - Garmin Vivoactive. Still have the original model and love it although I would love the 3!

Those are all I have to have for every run.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter