• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

I'm glad to hear that the ride is a good one. Seems like it would be hard to be otherwise with the scenery we'll be going through, but one never knows.

Sadly, my husband has already nixed the idea of running in Chicago and on the train. I also thought of running during a long stop, but no go. "We will not be bringing running clothes." (Note the royal "we" when my husband does not run. The idea is to have a small bag for on the train so the big bags can go in the train's luggage storage.) I think my problem is that I mentioned the idea ahead of time rather than just bringing the clothes and doing it. :) But perhaps it is good to preserve marital harmony.
If you've got a room on the train, there's a space in the sleeper car where you can stick the bigger bags and you just bring a smaller one up to your room with you. Keeps the larger bags accessible without having them *in* the room, which is good because we normally do the roomette and there's really no room. Otherwise, yeah, you can check them but you have no access until your destination, whereas this way you can get into them.

There are showers available in the sleeper cars for sleeper passengers. I don't know that I'd try washing my hair in one (I have long hair) but it's just fine for rinsing off after a run.

I'd totally pack a sports bra and workout gear because I mean, what if you need something for a shorter hike in Glacier? Sports bras handle getting really sweaty so much better. It's only common sense.

...with exception of battery life for a run longer than 5hrs.
It won't last 5 hours if you are doing LTE and streaming music that is for sure. The longest run I've done so far in my training is 16 miles in 2.5 hours. That was using full LTE functionality, streaming music, GPS, heart rate, etc and it had a bit less than 20% left on the battery when I was done which is consistent with what Apple says it should last - 3 hours in full function mode with no phone. If you turn off cellular and some other stuff, it should last you the 5 hours needed for a marathon training distance. But most likely for a marathon race, you will probably take your phone anyway since you will most likely be carrying fuel etc. and will want to take pictures. If you have the phone, I think the watch will easily last through the race. I am guessing if you had a Garmin watch and you were running a marathon, you would bring your phone? If that is the case, you would be comparing oranges to oranges.

Speaking of gear, anyone have a recommendation for a head lamp. Need something that wont fall off my head for this night run next month.

I've been happy with my Black Diamond Storm. The bonus with it is that it's more or less waterproof.

ATTQOTD: We at least waited to ramp up the heat this year until like July-ish, and then I had the good taste to be injured during the summer so I've managed to miss a lot of the hot runs so far. But now I've been cleared to return to running and I'm starting to ramp back up, which means I'm back to hating the heat again.

Of course, I have the poor taste to live in CA, so it'll cool down sometime around November. At which point the rain will start.

ATTQOTD: I will never wish away the heat. I typically love some humidity in the air when I run, but it has been a struggle this summer. I was sick in May, then took some time off in June, then got sick again for the first 2 weeks in July so I feel like I haven’t fully acclimated. Just trying to stay consistent, even if it’s just run streaks of 3 miles per day, and keeping up with cross training to get me to my half on Labor Day weekend. I’m planning on longer runs in August.

Coastal Virginia weather is unpredictable. I’d say that we’re in the clear with heat by early November. But I’ve been in shorts on Christmas a few times the last few years, so you never know. Went to the Dave Matthews show in Virginia Beach Saturday night and I was shivering in a sweatshirt. We are a little crazy over here.

Speaking of gear, anyone have a recommendation for a head lamp. Need something that wont fall off my head for this night run next month.

I currently have a Pitzl I won and it is ok but takes replaceable AAA batteries. I have a Black Diamond Storm sitting in my Amazon wish list I will grab at some point.

I want to get into longer trail run and will need something waterproof and the storm looks like the best option.

Last edited:
If you've got a room on the train, there's a space in the sleeper car where you can stick the bigger bags and you just bring a smaller one up to your room with you. Keeps the larger bags accessible without having them *in* the room, which is good because we normally do the roomette and there's really no room. Otherwise, yeah, you can check them but you have no access until your destination, whereas this way you can get into them.

There are showers available in the sleeper cars for sleeper passengers. I don't know that I'd try washing my hair in one (I have long hair) but it's just fine for rinsing off after a run.

I'd totally pack a sports bra and workout gear because I mean, what if you need something for a shorter hike in Glacier? Sports bras handle getting really sweaty so much better. It's only common sense.

Thanks for the info! Especially about the shower - hadn't really thought about it, but I probably won't plan to wash my hair. [ETA: Yes, we do have a sleeper room with a private bathroom.] I'll have to see what I can swing for the running. It's at least amusing me to think about it.

ATTQOTD: I much prefer summer to winter, but it won't really cool down here until late October or early November. My marathon at the beginning of November last year had temps in the high 80s at the finish. To me the heat isn't the worst part, rather the humidity. Most days I feel like I am swimming rather than running.

ATTQOTD: Weather around here can be pretty weird - we've had snow in October and 70's in January (not in the same season), so I don't really think about when the cooler weather will come. I just make sure I've got lots of layers so that I'm prepared when it does.

ATTQOTD: Yes, please, cooler weather can show up anytime. This is what Houston had this morning....

View attachment 339235

I was thinking of plenty of excuses and deeply pondering yesterday's comment on the body's ineffective cooling at high humidity. I was excited when I saw the temp, but at 100% RH, how is it not raining?
I started and thought it might not be so bad but after mile 1 I decided to run circles around a large landmark so I could run in their irrigation sprinklers. I thanked my body for not giving out on me, but recognized I was going to be ill and cut my run short. How do people do this? Can we get a thunderstorm over here yet?
Also, I have run in this T+D before. This was significantly worse than low humidity and higher temperature.

QOTD: What is your must have gear? Favorite hat? Sweat band? Winter hat? Electronic device? The only pair of shorts you ever run in? Fluid or nutrition carrying item? Lucky rabbit foot? Make a list, name the brand, shout it from the mountain tops!

Todays question is a suggestion from a fellow poster and will be followed up with other questions that flow well with this one in the coming day.

ATTQOTD: I'll start off with lights and reflective gear. Things I have tried: Little flashing button light that clips onto shirt or shoes = garbage! I u shaped light that goes around your shoe = also trash. Current head lamp flips up and down while running but did ok, but its made for hunting so my expectations were not high. Winner is the 360 light up vest. Very runner friendly.

Arm bands for your cell phone drive me crazy! I no longer bring my phone for runs for this reason and the fact that I prefer to hear my own breathing patterns and my surroundings.

Hoka running shoes: While a very comfy shoe, for the price and the few miles I put on them before I felt the shoe was breaking down was not worth continuing to purchase them. If helping with a injury I may consider them again, but it's such a different type of a shoe you have to be hesitant starting out in them.

ATTQOTD: Yes, please, cooler weather can show up anytime. This is what Houston had this morning....

View attachment 339235

Must have been my lucky day, or just compared to yesterday afternoons run, this morning felt amazing! I "ran" 4 miles yesterday starting at 7:30 PM. Heat index was still 90+ but RH% was lowish. Compared to this morning it was 73 and RH% below 80, which is nice for this time of year. It was just 2 miles but it almost felt like a front passed through. North wind and all. I was happy I woke up early for the run, and the slice of watermelon post run was amazing!!!!

ATTQOTD:
-SparkleSkirts - pockets!
-OrangeMud Hydraquiver Single/Double Barrel
-Bondi Bands
-RunninGluv (sweat/snot towel :))
-Garmin Fenix 5s
-Stryd Power Meter
-Injinji Toe socks
-Night Runner 270 shoe lights
-Tracer360 light vest (recently acquired - very bright!)
-Goodr sunglasses (just bought a pair of Tifosi Swank sunglasses. I’ll see how they compare...)

QOTD: What is your must have gear? Favorite hat? Sweat band? Winter hat? Electronic device? The only pair of shorts you ever run in? Fluid or nutrition carrying item? Lucky rabbit foot? Make a list, name the brand, shout it from the mountain tops!

My only must have is really my Garmin watch (currently a VA3 and 910XT). I have a favorite pair of shorts (Asics) and top (NorthFace singlet) but as long as it is wicking I'm good. I will list a few nice to haves though. Most aren't gear but they make it easier to run.

Car Seat Cover: Something to keep the seat from soaking up my sweat post run.
Epic Wipes: If I'm going right from a run to something else (post-race breakfast, hanging out at the park with the family) it is nice to be able to at least wipe myself down from head to foot.
A lightweight and breathable hooded running shell in case you need it for running in the rain.
ThinkSport SPF50 Sunscreen: A Zinc Oxide only sunscreen for summer runs.
Babo Botanicals Spray Sunscreen: A sprayable Zinc only sunscreen if I'm doing a run post work and there is no one to help with the places I can't reach.
Nathan Strobe Lights: I run a lot after dark and clipping some of these to me makes me feel safer. I like to do blue and red since those two flashing colors often get people's attention.
A Road iD

ATTQOTD:

Short runs: hipzipp running belt, my sister gave me one two years ago and I love it for carrying phone and tissues or keys. Amphipod hand held bottle for water.

Clothing: I am a Brooks fan. I like their shorts and shoes. I wear Ghosts or Cascadias. I like Nike for tanks and compression pants

My latest and I believe greatest find is feetures socks. I started developing blisters on my right foot and these socks have solved the problem. Expensive but worth it.

Long runs: I wear my camelback which is a must in the desert for long runs. Honey stingers chews are my favorite fuel

I have a small head so I wear mostly Nike hats although I have one Under Armour that fits well.

Not a specific thing I have to have but I've decided that I'm no longer buying running leggings (or skirts) without pockets big enough for my phone. I like my flipbelt but the pockets are so much better! I'm not brand loyal though. I've liked fabletics, athleta, sport skirts, and random cheap running leggings from Amazon.

ATTQOTD: I only run in lululemon Speed Up Shorts unless I am wearing a sparkle skirt for a costume, I have a pair of lululemon run compression shorts. I always have a bow or ribbon in my hair on race day and an almost full face of makeup because I can't shake the former cheerleader side of me. To add to how extra I am, I run in Kate Spade polarized glasses because when I find something I like, I stick with it. I always wear my socks inside out because it's the only way I don't get blisters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter