The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: In recent years I've started watching the Tour de France. I'm not a cycling enthusiast by any means, although I do want to do more riding. Anyway, those athletes are just incredible. I'm astonished at what they are able to do and it's very inspiring. The sheer perseverance to get through that race is inspiring.

Glad to hear things at home are moving in the right direction.

TheHamm - Ann Arbor Marathon 10K (1:20:00 / 1:17:19)

A PR!

Recap: This race was not what I thought I was signing up for! It was also a pull ahead for my planned 10PR attempt in two weeks. I have shuffled many training runs in the last month due to thunderstorms so I feared that my planned race would be rained out, and I might as well do this, I was scheduled for a 6 mile run anyhow. The race is usually in March, but they moved it due to Palm Sunday and then could not get permits for the previous course. Also, it seems there was not previously a 10K, and two months ago the map for the 10K was just double the 5K, which was not the case at all. Communication before the race was minimal, and the information turned to to be somewhat wrong. Bib pickup the day before was at the closest thing we have to a mega church, not my jam. DH kindly supervised the kids in the foam pit, and I lost it when I noticed few of the other parents were paying attention and a 12 year old was launching himself in without looking to see he was going to land on tiny kids. So, it was a quick run through the expo! Bondi Bands was listed as being at the expo, and I recalled seeing them at Princess and liking their visor, so I had hoped to try it on, but they were a no show. I was excited to see Rock City Skirts, and my kid fell in love with their stuff. She was convinced the turkey trot skirt was a volcano, so we went home with that!
Race day itself did not start well. We also have a GI bug going through the family, so I went to bed thinking I would see how I felt in the morning after being up with a puker. I was fine and thought it was a perfect way to leave the house for a bit! I went to grab my running clothes that I had washed and hung to dry to find my husband had wadded them up and tossed them aside to hang the next load of laundry. I panicked as they were still wet. Lesson: I need more running shorts! Tossed them into the dryer and thought I could still bike to the start on time and allow my clothes time to dry. Went to leave and found my husband had cleaned the garage and my bike was hanging in the garage in a spot I couldn't get it. I ended up using a ladder and smacked my head pretty good trying to get the bike. I raced to the start, made it with 2 minutes to spare, and they announced they were delaying a few minutes until the course was clear. Not a brilliant start. Also pre-race communication stated there would be water for 10K runners along the 5 K route, so I anticipated water only in miles 1 and 6, and I was worried as I had biked in and was already hot and thirsty. I lined up between the 11:15mm 10K pacer (last 10 K) and the half 12mm pacer. These were my roads, and my potholes. I knew these two miles, so I was happy to keep the 11:15 pacer in sight until the first water stop, when I slowed to get two thinking I would need it.
I kept watching to make sure I did not get passed by the 12mm before the courses split at mile two. Then came the trail portion which I sort of expected, but was not detailed in the map when I signed up. I was surprised they had a water stop here! Next, about 200ft decline on gravel over a little more than half a mile. I winced knowing we would have to go back up in 2.5 miles. Down I went, and I kept thinking about words on this thread about pounding down destroying one's quads. I am fine with midwestern hills, but my experience is with shorter ones. We had to transition from the gravel across some wet grass, which took me down. It was here I was happy that they had little green flags, hard to notice in the lush green of everything growing after all the rain. There were apparently only 300 people doing the 10K, and not a lot of traffic, and plenty of people who run there anyhow so in at least two spots I wondered if I was off course. From the grass we went into what would have been beach sand if not for the recent storms. Instead it was lots of mud- I had not anticipated this nor have I ever run in it. I could leap over large puddles, but not avoid it all together. Back up the hill. I would have preferred to take the more steep staircase, but I made it. More water that I did not expect, YEAH! Back onto pavement, I realized I had a mile left and I would meet my target even if I walked the rest, which slowed me down. Also, we ran past dorms and the scent of bacon taunted me. Back on my roads, with my potholes for the last 0.75 miles. The start and finish were where the university marching band plays, and I wished they were there, I thought of how much I like the bands along disney courses, and thought it would be fun to seek out such a race. I could see the clock time of 1:19, so I felt accomplished before even finishing. The end had yogurt, pizza (Domino's is not great, but is HQed here), and POPSICLES! but not fudgesicles, and chips in addition to the standard water and banana. I had a snack, grabbed chips to go, and rode home. My kids were awake and playing. They were excited when I got there- 'Mom! You won potato chips! That is a great race!' Also 'Wow, you must have gone really fast to get mud all over your legs!' So while I was happy with a new PR and my first accidental half trail race, my kids reactions to the finish were the highlight of the race.

My plan was to do a 1:20 at a race in two weeks, I suppose I need to consider if I want to go faster? Maybe I should check the course first!

QOTD: Yesterday a sport legend for LSU fans passed away at the age of 80. His name is Billy Cannon, and for anyone who cheered for the purple and gold he is known for winning a national title, his famous Halloween run against Ole Miss, and our only Heisman winner. He could also run 100 meters in less than 10 seconds. Todays question is, do you get inspiration from athletes that are not really runners, but are inspiring to you in one way or another?
Yes and no. I think you can get inspired by even non-athletes. It can be a celebrity, activist, coach, athlete, whoever. Everyone has advice and things that stick with them. Ones performance doesn’t necessarily have to be the thing that inspires you. Usually the way someone handles themselves is most inspiring.

ATTQOTD: sure, however they are usually athletes no one would know. Students that beat the odds to compete or play, family members, etc. My oldest brother and I are not close. We are 24 years apart and he is one of my biggest inspirations. He went from overweight to a sub 3 hour marathon. We may not speak or see each other that often but he is someone I think about fairly frequently, especially when running. He might not ever know it, but he is a huge inspiration to me.
Eta: I was wrong, his best race was just under 4. I thought that sub 3 was speedier than I remembered...

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: Actually the person who inspires me IS a runner, Gabriele Grunewald. She is a pro runner for Brooks who has a rare cancer and has had multiple surgeries. Yet she still runs and competes. There is no cure for her cancer and instead of giving up and giving into her disease she fights it and runs thru it. She has a foundation called Brave Like Gabe to raise money for rare cancer research. :)

ATTQOTD: I get very into watching random athletic events on television and it does pump me up to go on my runs. Olympic season is the best for this. Watching ironman coverage on random tv channels gets me everytime.
But honestly, reading race recaps and training journals here is like getting inspiration hits all the time. Which causes me some trouble because this place is also where I go to get inspiration to spend more money on disney things/vactions, etc. :)

Another random question, sorry! Today I tried to be a morning runner, due to thunderstorms this afternoon in the forecast. The run was fine, great actually as it wasn't an oven outside, but we have no showers at work so I had to do a "sink sponge bath". Just wondering if there are any good "shower/bath wipes"? I think I have heard of them before, lol. I used some kleenex wipes and they were ok but left me "sticky". :confused3

I would love to be able to run more in the mornings this summer. Don't even get me started on dry shampoo though! First time user, lol. :)

Another random question, sorry! Today I tried to be a morning runner, due to thunderstorms this afternoon in the forecast. The run was fine, great actually as it wasn't an oven outside, but we have no showers at work so I had to do a "sink sponge bath". Just wondering if there are any good "shower/bath wipes"? I think I have heard of them before, lol. I used some kleenex wipes and they were ok but left me "sticky". :confused3

I would love to be able to run more in the mornings this summer. Don't even get me started on dry shampoo though! First time user, lol. :)

Can't help on the shower wipes, but can attest that using dry shampoo for brunettes or dark hair has worked out better for me than the kind that comes out white. I also have thin hair and pretty much HATE dry shampoo so avoid it at all costs.

ATTQOTD: Any of the special highlights on athletes doing great things in and out of the sports world always moves me. I think what JJ Watt did with the fundraising for Harvey victims, and now paying for the funerals for the victims of the Texas school shooting is amazing. I'm sure there are a lot of athletes/celebs that help out their local communities, but he is sticking out right now.

I love watching College Gameday on ESPN every Saturday morning in the fall, and I normally cry at least once each week because of some story of an athlete, coach or fan overcoming adversity. The ones that got me this year was the story of Shaquem Griffin from UCF and, not an athlete story, but the new tradition at Iowa of waving to the kids watching the game from the children's hosptial.

During Irma and another major power outage (I'm on well so no power = no water), I used Huggies Baby Wipes and Dry Shampoo. It worked well enough to feel like a person - at least until Day 5 in a row. That Day 5 issue won't be a problem since obviously you'll be able to shower at night at your home. I just could feel the dead skin piling at that point.

The only thing other than regular body wipes would be the Showerpill Body Wipe. It’s basically a single-packaged giant wipe. We always take them for Ragnar to help with multiple runners in the van. :crazy2:

ATTQOTD: In recent years I've started watching the Tour de France. I'm not a cycling enthusiast by any means, although I do want to do more riding. Anyway, those athletes are just incredible. I'm astonished at what they are able to do and it's very inspiring. The sheer perseverance to get through that race is inspiring.

I've been watching cycling for many years, and what impresses me the most is the suffering they endure day in and day out in order to do what they love doing. Most of them do not get paid very much, relatively speaking on the pro athlete scale, and yet they're out there no matter the weather conditions or their physical condition. I know this is a cliche, but it's pretty much spot on.

download.jpg

0. Finish feeling strong/good, not defeated
1. < 3:00
2. Pace myself more consistently over the whole race
3. < 2:52

I think if I do #2, I can do #3, so, @LSUlakes, please put me down for < 2:52 :)
Well, spoiler alert, I did not hit #3. :) There were very tough weather conditions. But I did manage the others so I consider it a success! I finished in 2:59:41, just squeaking in under the wire of that 3 hour mark.

Much longer version...

This week has been completely insane for me (my very small company of 3 people is scrambling to get our software product compliant with GDPR, the new EU privacy law that goes into effect at the end of this week) and the weekend was going to be even more nuts. I had originally signed up for this race last year, but had to defer it due to my back/sciatic issues. For some reason, the race was 1 week later this year than it has been previously, which put it smack dab on the second day of my agility club's dog agility yearly trial that we host (our trial weekend is a fixed date of the 3rd weekend in May). It's an outdoor trial, with 2 rings, and if you've ever seen dog agility equipment there's a lot of it and it's not all light. Some of it is big metal frames with rubberized coating and stuff. :) Our club is way too small to run a 2 ring trial, especially since we only have about 10-12 people doing the bulk of the work and maybe another 10 who show up and do a little bit, but we have been putting a trial on for 30 years now, this was our anniversary one. A head honcho from the organization national office came out and stuff to honor us. It's a lot of work.

So, Friday I had to go to help set up... equipment, ring fences, tents, etc etc. I tried to take it as easy as I could for Sunday. Saturday, I was running my dog and supposed to be helping work, but I guiltily sat out of working for a lot of the classes so that I could sit under my tent and rest my legs/feet. They were already a little sore. Having gone to do parks at DL and WDW both times for days before my race, I knew I was going to regret it if I spent too much time on my feet on Saturday. I think I did a pretty good job... my legs and feet were a tiny bit sore on Sunday, but once I got my running shoes on, they felt fine (I had been wearing hiking boots most of the day Saturday).

Sunday, the forecast was for clouds and rain all morning turning to thunderstorms by about 11 am. It was an 8 am start, so we were getting warnings that the race may have to be canceled. I didn't hear anything by Saturday night though, so up I got at 4:30 am to get ready to go. I took the warning that the parking lot would fill up fast REALLY seriously and got there about 10 minutes after it opened at 6:00. It is the parking lot for a state ocean beach, so it's large, but not as large as the race. Once the parking lot filled up, you had to park on the side of the road about a half mile away and I didn't want to deal with that. I was there so early and it didn't fill up until a lot later. :D I was worried about hydration due to the temps so I drank a lot of water and coffee while waiting. I have never been to a race so early before that I had to use the portapotty 3 times before the race even started. Usually I don't ever use them at all at a race! I probably could have used a 4th trip as I spent the whole race needing to pee, but I didn't want to wait in line again after doing so for the 3rd time. I considered pulling a Shalane when I hit the first ones around mile 3 on the course but my Sparkle Skirt was so drenched in sweat at that point that I knew there was no way I was wrestling it down in a non-handicapped cramped regular portapotty without dropping something down the hole or tipping it over.

I didn't put on sunscreen and almost didn't even wear my sunglasses for the race, it was that cloudy and foggy along the ocean and the forecast wasn't for nice weather. But then it all burned off by a couple miles in and I was really glad I did! I am regretting the lack of sunscreen, though! I knew right away when I got there that morning that my time goal was probably not going to happen. Most of my training the last 3 months has been in T+D under 100. Maybe a few runs the last few weeks where it was over 100 and one short run where it was 135. Yesterday, at the start of the race, T+D was 124 (62+62) and it was like swimming through the air. By the end, the sun was frying us and T+D was at 145 (77+68).

Somehow, I got put into wave 2 of 6. I'm not really too sure how that happened, because I gave them an estimated finish time of 3 hours. No one seemed to know what the rhyme or reason was for the assignments, plus they were not enforced at all. It was really informal, you could start wherever you wanted to if you really wanted, and all they did was just call all the people in the next wave to line up at the line, there were no corrals. I started out with my intervals and tried to stick to my own plan. I was quickly mostly alone after my wave started, but I knew that a lot of people would be passing me in the first mile or two as the other 4 waves started, so I just tried to stick to my own pace/plan. I did ok at it, my first mile or two I seem to go too fast no matter what all the time. They were 12:39 and 13:00 on completely flat ground, and I was supposed to be aiming for 13:06 in ideal conditions and DB had told me to slow it down some even when I had reported to him that the forecast was looking like T+D of 109 at the start and 129 or so at the end, and this was much worse. I knew some rolling hills were about to start after mile 2, as well, so I quickly changed my game plan due to that. I have slowed down my running pace quite a bit, but haven't really had success completely slowing it all the way to what it should be per my plan. It gets to the point where I'm altering my gait too much. For the race, my run/walk intervals were supposed to be 75/30. I decided to take my watch off the screen with the distance/overall time/overall pace and just put it on the screen that shows how much time left in my current run/walk interval, and I would extend my walk break about 10-15 seconds per interval (so I'd walk when it said walk, and then I'd start running again when the run countdown hit 1:05-1:00 instead of right away at 1:15). I ran almost the entire race blind like that, deciding to not stress out about it and just to run by feel, and I only occasionally checked the overall screen. I think this helped mentally... I wasn't just checking my watch all the time only to see the distance hadn't even changed a whole tenth yet. :D

Shuffling the intervals like that seemed to do the trick, on top of a couple of extended walk intervals when fueling/getting water and for one steep hill in particular (the only one on the course). It slowed me down a bit and I was not feeling too bad despite the heat/humidity. The hill came just at about the halfway point in the race, someone had a sign at the top that said 6.7 miles, so that was the point I decided to try and see if I could do my full intervals. I did for a while and was feeling ok, until suddenly I was not. :) I had a tough stretch somewhere after mile 9 until about 10. I took a couple of extended walk breaks somewhere in there, like walked through the entire run interval twice I think, and went back to my 60/45 ones otherwise. I took stock of my body, since this was the point I had also blown up in my last half marathon. I decided my legs actually felt fairly good unlike last time... or as good as they can 9-10 miles into a half marathon. I would start out running and my legs would be ok, but I would quickly just start breathing hard and I just felt really drained from the heat and humidity. I am a heavy/salty sweater even on cool days. I had taken packets of Huma + electrolytes for my first 2 gels and had been taking water and powerade cups at the water stops before that, and I had a handheld bottle with a Nuun tablet in it, but the handheld was almost out and then I drained the rest of it at about 10 after I took my last gel figuring there had to be a water stop coming soon... I was getting pretty desperate. Thankfully the last water stop was at 11.2, and I stopped there for a while to fill my handheld at the slowest cooler spigot ever! I probably would have gotten out of there faster if I'd just grabbed a bunch of cups and dumped them in the bottle.

The last stretch of about 1.5 miles was in complete full sun along the ocean road, salt marsh and houses on one side, rocky coast and dunes blocking the ocean on the other. And a very strong headwind that felt refreshing, but was hard to run into. So much sun and pavement that stretch! I got really discouraged by that point because I checked the overall screen around there and saw it ticking around 2:40 and knew my pace had really slowed considerably after mile 9. My lap paces were all screwed up by that point because I'd accidentally hit the lap button a few times from tilting my wrist back, plus I was really stressed about my battery not lasting to the end. This is the second HM where the low battery warning has hit around mile 9, thankfully this time it at least did last until the end. It's time for me to admit that it's time to just replace this watch! So I knew I had slowed enough by that point, and it was going to be really tight to make the last 1.5 miles in < 20 min. I tried my best for a while to do my whole run interval but my breathing was starting to get out of control and wheezy in the sun/heat and the uphills that in reality are not that bad, but felt like mountains at that point. Then I realized, duh, just do 30/30 like your long runs, you know you can run faster for only 30s. I switched to 30/30 for probably the last mile, crested the last hill near the finish line, glanced at my watch and saw it at 2:48:15, and was like holy crap you need to book it down there NOW if you want to get under 3!

I felt much better about this race than my recent efforts. I did feel better/stronger and not defeated, even though it was tough weather. I think I could have made my other time goal if not for that. There were a lot of DNF and some ambulances, so I feel pretty good just about finishing! Looking at my paces, I did keep them more even, although there was a big drop off at that point after mile 9. Looking at Strava, I can see I was ranging between 13:14-13:43 for 3-9 after my faster 2 at the start, then that's when I screwed up the laps with the button a few times, but after that they were also consistent with each other... just about 45-60s slower. :)

I did feel better overall after the race was done, too. I was really dreading it because I was going directly from the race back to the agility trial where I had to work all the rest of the day until about 3-3:30 pm, then help load all the equipment back into the trailers and pack up the site, getting out of there about 5:30. Long day! Usually after long runs and races, my hips and legs are pretty locked up and I have trouble just getting in and out of my car, but while I was sore, I was able to get in and out ok and worked the rest of the day ok, and I feel not too bad today!

Last edited:
I've been watching cycling for many years, and what impresses me the most is the suffering they endure day in and day out in order to do what they love doing. Most of them do not get paid very much, relatively speaking on the pro athlete scale, and yet they're out there no matter the weather conditions or their physical condition. I know this is a cliche, but it's pretty much spot on.

View attachment 323922

What would cycling or running be like if you could take a break for injuries and then resume and at the end get extra time to use? Could I then roll around complaining the whole time I'm in line for a disney character and then get that time back? hmmmm

ATTQOTD: I like watching hockey but I don't find general inspiration from other athletes. A lot of my motivation is internal and revolves more around achieving the goals I've set for myself.

A big salute to all the folks who ran races this weekend in humid conditions! The weather for Bay to Breakers here in CA was, if anything, a touch cool - it would have been perfect for trying for a PR if it weren't for the fact that the run is not at all suited for it. If you're not in the seeded section or just behind it, forget it. Too many people, too many people interested more in the experience than running a PR. Which is fine - I knew this was likely the case going in. I was still a little bit surprised at how many people were walking from the start, especially since there is a walkers corral at the back that they could have started in, but it wasn't a huge deal. They at least did some mini-waves out of the corrals to try and even things out some and I think it did help.

If you're not familiar with it, Bay to Breakers is a race from the bay side of SF to the Pacific Ocean, clocking in at 12k. (This makes traffic in the city an absolute nightmare because there is exactly one north-south road open for the duration of the race.) This year they added the "bonus" option for the first time, where you did another 3k along the Great Highway (which parallels the coast) and got an extra medal. The race is probably most famous for the fact that it's kind of an anything-goes atmosphere, although a little less so these days (alcohol has been banned on the course since 2008, although people still drink). There are a lot of costumes and a few folks doing it naked (it is SF) - I think I saw maybe 6-7 naked folks overall, and maybe a few spectators. There's one pretty famous hill, the Hayes St hill, and I didn't find it too bad. A lot of parties at the houses along it, so it kind of felt like a frat party or Mardi Gras atmosphere.

The race itself was great - portapotties every quarter mile or so, reasonable amount of water stops (although I didn't take any), first aid tents reasonable spaced, and some on course entertainment. My favorite was the Japanese taiko group at mile 7. The finisher chute was maybe a little less well done - very crowded and hard to get to the food, and a lot of people taking a LOT more than what seemed reasonable of the available post-race food. I couldn't even find where they had the bananas. I'd cut them a little bit of slack because 40,000 people is a lot ...but on the other hand, this isn't the first time they've run this race? So that's the one bit I think could use improvement.

Anyway, it was a fun run and I enjoyed my morning. The bonus bit was definitely my favorite, with some really gorgeous views of the coast and that road has sentimental value for me, since the husband and I drove it on our second date (my first time seeing that part of SF). I finished the 15k in 1:36:35, which was a solid time for me - not PR pace, but given the crowding on the course I had decided to take it easy and just soak in the experience. I might try to convince the husband to walk it with me next year, because it's not going to be a race I try to benchmark but it could be fun to share that together. It would also be a lot easier to take pictures of the cool costumes that way. (Captain Planet may have been my favorite.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter