The Running Thread - 2018

First Disney memory....even though my first trip to WDW was as a six-year-old in 1981, three other Disney memories precede that one:

1. "Pete's Dragon" was the first movie I ever saw in a theater. I was three years old, and vividly remember being so scared when the Gogans showed up at the beginning of the film that I sat on the floor and hid behind the seat in front of me for the remainder of the film.
2. There was a traveling Mickey Mouse show that visited malls in the late 1970's, and I have a faint memory of my mom taking me to see it then, and me getting a big Mickey Mouse Club button.
3. I had this album:

600x600bf.jpg

First Disney memory....even though my first trip to WDW was as a six-year-old in 1981, three other Disney memories precede that one:

1. "Pete's Dragon" was the first movie I ever saw in a theater. I was three years old, and vividly remember being so scared when the Gogans showed up at the beginning of the film that I sat on the floor and hid behind the seat in front of me for the remainder of the film.
2. There was a traveling Mickey Mouse show that visited malls in the late 1970's, and I have a faint memory of my mom taking me to see it then, and me getting a big Mickey Mouse Club button.
3. I had this album:

600x600bf.jpg
I had that album, too! Macho Duck was my fave!

ATTQOTD: I would have been 5 or 6 on my first trip that I can remember. My Uncle was getting married in Florida and my parents took my sis & I. I remember Epcot really well! It was in the very very early days of Epcot and I remember eating a kids meal at Mexico and having a taquito and little burrito thing for the first time and it was a lasting food memory. I can distinctly taste that food in my head even right now. We were eating outside and i was trying to feed the ducks chips. I also very much remember Future World rainbow & silver Fab 5 characters and also it downpouring and us taking cover in the bakery in France. And the trees were so tiny that the world showcase seemed huge (ok I was also tiny.) I also vividly remember Motion and Imagination and the Imageworks.
In MK I remember being super scared of the Haunted Mansion (I closed my eyes and only opened it up in the hallway and in the Madame Leota section.) I also remember us going on Snow White when it was way scarier because my parents thought we were in line for Peter Pan. I guess I wasn't to traumatized :)
I also remember being in line for 5 hours for Jungle Cruise and then loving it. And one parent taking me on people mover while my sister went with the other on space mountain and me freaking out when I saw what space mtn looked like inside. But asking my sis a thousand questions about it.
I could go on but I'll stop.

Taking my daughter at 2 years old, 4 years old and 5 years old (yeah we spoil her, but it's rundisney's fault) has been a ton of fun because she tries new things every time. So there's magic happening even though we have been before. And our plan is to take her to Aulani next year and WDW again when she's 7 or 8 so there will be even more for her to do. And so much new stuff for us too with Toy Story land, Star Wars, Pandora.
Anyone who told us not to take her at 2, we said, its for us to remember not her. :)

@LSUlakes I used to be so adverse to conflict that I'd literally go along with whatever my parents or my in-laws or my husband suggested. So when any of those were in odds, my brain would meltdown. And then I started discovering that my opinion mattered too. And then I started telling myself "Would my parent or in-law have done 100% of what their parents/inlaws told them to do" and that answer is for sure NOOOO.
So I try to stand up for myself more and also make it more about my husband and I together. I would check in with your wife about what she believes if she took everyone else in the world out of the equation and then you tell her what you feel in the same situation. And then you compromise based on that and tell the in-law your decision and stick to it. Erase them from the equation on this one until you guys decide as a unit.
My two cents. You get to erase my opinion too, but thanks for reading it :)

3. I had this album:

600x600bf.jpg

I had that album too!! I think it was a hand-me-down from my cousin... I would have been listening to it in the early 80's.

@LSUlakes I used to be so adverse to conflict that I'd literally go along with whatever my parents or my in-laws or my husband suggested. So when any of those were in odds, my brain would meltdown. And then I started discovering that my opinion mattered too. And then I started telling myself "Would my parent or in-law have done 100% of what their parents/inlaws told them to do" and that answer is for sure NOOOO.
So I try to stand up for myself more and also make it more about my husband and I together. I would check in with your wife about what she believes if she took everyone else in the world out of the equation and then you tell her what you feel in the same situation. And then you compromise based on that and tell the in-law your decision and stick to it. Erase them from the equation on this one until you guys decide as a unit.
My two cents. You get to erase my opinion too, but thanks for reading it :)
I endorse this 100%

ATTQOTD: My first couple of trips were when I was a baby, so don’t recall those. My first memory would be from when I was 5 or 6. It’s of being terrified of seeing The Big Bad Wolf, when he still made character appearances at WDW.

@LSUlakes Family issues can stink. We have had our fair share. But as others said, I always love DH, but there are days I really don't like him. Hoping it all works out.

ATTQOTD: I was almost 4 the first time we went to Disney and we stayed at the Dolphin. I don't remember a ton. I do remember always wanting to swim in the pool and I also remember little trams that would take you from your resort to Epcot. I was the only kid on the trip and has a great time and my grandmother always says that trip was the whole reason she bought DVC. I was 7 the next time we went and stayed at BC so remember a lot more from that trip.

I have never been with anyone else for their first trip really. I am looking forward to taking my future kids.

ATTFFQOTD: My first trip to the MK was in 1977 (I think). We loaded up the family station wagon and drove down from Nashville TN. We stopped in Valdosta GA for the night and continued on the next morning. We stayed somewhere outside of the Kingdom, across the road from the Ringling Bros training tents/center. I have tried to look up in the past couple of years to figure out where the heck we stayed. Right next to the motel was an orange grove. The Magic Kingdom was just unreal to us. Their were still tickets for rides at the time, and remember trying to figure out how many E-tickets we needed for Space Mtn.

I also remember visiting some sort of Disney Visitor center, which I think was around where Disney Springs is now.

Next time I went back was in the early 90s and was amazed how well I remembered the layout of MK and where the different rides were, etc. So I could tell how much of an impression the first visit was!

3. I had this album:

600x600bf.jpg

Love this! I have that record & put it on tape & then to CD. They should play those songs at the Run Disney Races!

ATTQOTD: My first trip to WDW was when I was three years old, in the mid-1970s. I don't remember any of it. However, the memory of my mother is crystal clear about the return trip. We had driven from western PA to WDW. On the way home, my parents decided to take a "scenic route" through the Appalachians for awhile rather than the much-straighter interstate. This is when they discovered that I get car-sick. The story as told in the family is that I managed to puke successively on every change of clothes they had brought along for me before they managed to find a way to get back to the interstate. This story is extra funny if you had known my father, because he was famously impatient and short-tempered, especially when driving in a new place, so really the ride must have been a close experience to hell with a puking toddler and exploding father. Honestly, I'm glad I don't remember it. :) In retrospect, I feel very sorry for what it must have been like for my mother.

@JulieODC - I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease about five years ago. I felt horrible for two weeks straight. Fevers, sweats, no energy. First I thought it was a bad cold, then got checked for mono and the flu. What saved me was overhearing a coworker talk about her husband finally figuring out that he had been bit by a spider months ago because he had been having a horrible time and they couldn’t figure out what was going on. I got blood work done and tested positive for Lyme despite never seeing a bite mark. You should start to feel better in a few days. Every once and awhile, I feel like I have flare ups if that makes sense where I just feel tired and have no energy but it goes away. Probably could just chalk it up to chasing my kids around all day. Glad you were able to figure out what was going on. I’ve heard bad stories where it took people months to figure out what was going on.

ATTQOTD: My earliest memory is when I was six years old. My parents took me when I was three with out extended family but I apparently hated it and cried on every ride so I clearly blocked those memories out. One clear memory for the trip when I was six was being obsessed with the Peter Pan ride and asking to go on it repeatedly.

@JulieODC - I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease about five years ago. I felt horrible for two weeks straight. Fevers, sweats, no energy. First I thought it was a bad cold, then got checked for mono and the flu. What saved me was overhearing a coworker talk about her husband finally figuring out that he had been bit by a spider months ago because he had been having a horrible time and they couldn’t figure out what was going on. I got blood work done and tested positive for Lyme despite never seeing a bite mark. You should start to feel better in a few days. Every once and awhile, I feel like I have flare ups if that makes sense where I just feel tired and have no energy but it goes away. Probably could just chalk it up to chasing my kids around all day. Glad you were able to figure out what was going on. I’ve heard bad stories where it took people months to figure out what was going on.

ATTQOTD: My earliest memory is when I was six years old. My parents took me when I was three with out extended family but I apparently hated it and cried on every ride so I clearly blocked those memories out. One clear memory for the trip when I was six was being obsessed with the Peter Pan ride and asking to go on it repeatedly.

Thanks for sharing your experience @baxter24.

Not running related post!

I’m not sure what I’m really looking for here... maybe just airing out dirty laundry, or a place to get advice, or just talking to a group of my internet friends who love Disney and running.

I can’t sleep so I’ve taken the logically bad approach to having a few beers alone at my dining room table. Please excuse me while I ramble about my life problems. I think it’s best not to get into very specifics because not everyone has the same ideas that I have regarding political matters, religion, and so on. In not really here to post my opinion on those topics.

A few weeks ago DW and I had a discussion about a event coming up. At the time of the discussion and even as recent as this week we had both agreed it was best to not bring DD to a social event and that I would stay home with her, but the day before and after I would bring her to see everyone and take part in those opportunities. We told my MIL of these and at first nothing was said. The last time I spoke with MIL, it’s like I said nothing and she begged me to bring DD to said event even though we told her our parenting decision was to avoid it. She got mad and hung up on me. DW still supported that decision at that time... that is until she talked to her. I get home and DW is saying how her moms upset and she thinks that we should bring DD as it may not be a issue all of a sudden. She’s trying to make everyone happy, and no ones happy. I think our marriage took a big hit tonight and I’m not sure if it will recover. I stand from with my decision because I believe it’s whats best for DD, but pressure from the outside is causing issues. My wife is telling MIL this is our position, but adding a “but” in there.
I’m struggling to put to words my feelings... I think my MIL is being selfish and guilting DW into something we already agreed upon to make her happy. I feel like my own opinion is one to be brushed aside.... I feel like I’m losing my wife, my love, my everything because my MIL wants something and my wife is starting to take her side.
I know none of this probably make sense, but tonight my heart hurts, and I don’t know *** to do from here.

If you ever need to vent more feel free to PM me. My marriage was controlled by her mother. Her mother actually tired to get us to change the name of my son. She actually called him a different name for like 2 months. (And yes, I now see just how crazy she was)

Without knowing the details it's hard to give advice but sometimes it's not as bad as it seems.

As @LSUlakes had a late night and is hopefully finding a bit of peace this morning, I want to jump in with a Fun Friday Question because I love them and look forward to seeing what he has come up with each week - and I just can't wait any longer in my day to read some of your answers.

Question: Do you remember how old you were when you had your first Disney experience? What memory sticks in your head? Have you been with someone else when they first experienced that magic? Do you think any age for this experience is any better than another?

My answer: I saved babysitting money to go on a trip with the exchange student we were hosting from Japan. We took a 20 hour bus ride with other exchange students- I was the only American kid there. I started hanging out with the Japanese because I knew them, but they planned what they wanted to do and I couldn't understand a word of it, which was irritating. Then we went to Epcot for Japanese food and one of the guys thought it would be funny to order my food with extra Wasabi. I spent the next few days solo and loved it. I think there is no bad age for disney. If you can afford it, go!
Edit: I forgot to answer the other portion of my own question. I loved taking my kids for their first trip to WDW when they were just shy of 3. IASW was their first ride and they asked to go on it repeatedly. We had an amazing and magical trip, despite them having norovirus and us being confined to the hotel room for the last 2 days. I figured if we had a good time with that volume of bodily fluid, the place had to be magical! We recently took them to DL for their first trip and it was magically memorable. We had to make IASW their first ride there as well. They were flabbergasted that their names were not on the signs at the end- it was hilarious! And we repeatedly rode Toy Story Mania, and one child asked to call our friend in Orlando. I was confused but obliged. The child called to tell our friends that the next time we were visiting she would beat them at TSM. It was some serious preschool smack talk!

I laugh at this story now because of the ending. But I didn't grow up a Disney person. Sure, I knew who the characters were and stuff but we didn't watch the movies in my house. I had never been as a kid. When I was getting married my future ex proposed WDW for our honeymoon as we aren't really beach people, so I said, sure. I knew nothing about the place so we had a travel agent book everything. We gave her a budget and she picked the hotel and everything. I get off the Mears van (no DME back then) and walk into the lobby of the Grand Floridian. :love: This was my first experience with Disney. I fell in love with Disney that day, June 1, 1998. The service we received that week was amazing and from that day on I became obsessed. I read as much about Walt as I could find. I watch everything about Walt I can watch. And I am hoping some day soon I can get to DL where Walt actually walked the park.

But this story is funny because the first time I went back to the GF after my wife and I decided to get divorced I thought the memories would make me sad. I'm now realizing I liked Disney more than I liked her. :rolleyes1 Seriously though, I have very good memories of us together but that hotel is so awesome to me!

@LSUlakes I’m fairly new here but I do know that you are loved and respected by so many people here. Good luck with the family issues and we’ll be praying and hoping for a good resolution.

ATTQOTD: My first recollection of Disney was our family trip to Disneyland in 1982. We moved to LA in 1981 from Korea and we had always expected to move back to the homeland within 5 years. So in order to take in as many American sights as possible, my parents thought that we should take as many trips to Disneyland as possible...and I believe we went at least once a year for about 3-4 years. Obviously we didn’t move back to Korea, but those early years cemented my love of Disney!

My memory is super fuzzy, but we have old family pics of the trip so most of my memory is from that. I had on my super short shorts with a nice bowl haircut, I seemed to enjoy riding Dumbo, Autopia, and Small World amongst other rides, and I seemed to be a bit afraid of the huge characters. My fondest memory, however, was riding the Skyway across the park, going through the Matterhorn, and looking down at the park.

ATTQOTD: I went to WDW for the first time when I was 12. It was the first time we took a plane as a family (dad, mom and I) and also the last we vacationed as one. I mostly remembered being responsible to decide where we were going each day, the torrential rain at around 4PM, going through a hotel with the monorail, Living with the Land (hydroponic tomatoes!) and the animatronics.

When we returned with my family over 20 years later and I saw Main Street, it was like going back in time to a happy moment.

I asked DH, he was in his 40s when we went, and his immediate answer was magic, the immersion into another world where everyone can be happy and find something to eat. He also mentioned strollers on the buses with kids sleeping in our arms.

My oldest DD turned four on her first trip to WDW. She is twelve now and I couldn’t tell for sure what she had grasped from WDW... Until my Mother’s Day present: She hung pictures of both of us through all our Disney trips and printed the following sentence: “I see MAGIC because YOU thought me to LOOK for it.” I cried a little.

My youngest DD was one and a half on her first trip to WDW. When someone ask me if that is too early to bring someone to WDW, I always say that there is no wrong age. We could see her brain developing with all the stimulation (colors, movements, characters). In Epcot, she was pointing to the floor were there are stars and wanted so much to talk, clearly explaining us (blagrarblagggreuu) that these usually belong in the sky.

@LSUlakes I do hope that the weekend has brought some time for your family to talk. I am so sorry for this stress! I am in no place to give advice on this (my wife and my mom have been at war since the day I proposed). Over the years we have come to two realisations. One, are first priority is our family; my wife and I and our two girls. And two, of course we love, value and are influenced by our parents. We try ( I emphasis try) to prioritize in that order when there are struggles. The biggest challenge is getting our parents to understand the limits and that our decisions are about our kids first. Anyway, I hope that you can find a way to work through this.

ATTQOTD: I do not have a solid memory of my first time to Disneyland. I have a vague memory of walking down Main Street and seeing characters. But the second half of the question, good age for your children to first go, I have a great memory. I think if they are younger than 3 the memories are more for the parent than the child; but what great memories! My motto - go as soon, and often, as you can. They grow up too fast! My older daughter went as a baby and several times as a toddler. Then when she was four, we found out my wife was pregnant and we decided to make a second trip in the same year, kind of like a last time before our family of three became four. So we decided to surprise our daughter and simply referred to the packing and travel to the airport as a trip. Which to our surprise she just did not question. We landed in LA and got a shuttle to our hotel. The whole time everyone in the shuttle is talking about Disneyland and our daughter was either asleep or just not noticing. Then the shuttle pulled onto Harbor Drive and we went right past Disneyland. She still was not noticing. So I told her to look out the window and she said “Is that Disney?” When I said yes and we were going she immediately yelled out “Disney” and began crying! The whole shuttle clapped for her, it was a pretty cool moment. She has told me that is her earliest memory of Disneyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter