The Running Thread - 2018

I ran a small local half (Papillion, NE, not like I would travel here for it if I didn't live here) this am, 58 & sort of humid, it was lotso hilly & some rain the last mile, but I PR'd in 1:47:02 & 3rd in my age group (a super nice travel mug). There was only 220 runners in the half (another 300 between the 5k & 10k as well) Lots of swag & DONUTS. Great organized race with amazing volunteers! There are parts on concrete path trails which I am not used to but was prepared for. My foot cramped some but nothing major as far as pain or injuries which I haven't had in a very long time. And, I beat way younger me so I'm super pumped.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Last edited:
Fargo Marathon Recap

Great race! I thought this race was very well organized. There were just under 1500 finishers for the marathon. The race started inside the Fargodome. The course was through several neighborhoods with large trees, through several parks next to a river, and through 3 college campuses. Part of the race crossed into Moorhead, MN. They had several bands out or DJs set up. There were lots of families out throughout the race. It was not quite the party atmosphere like Route 66 is (no Jell-O shots being handed out that I saw), but it was very family friendly and nice to see all the families out cheering on runners.

The temperature was in the mid-40s to start, overcast with a 20 mph north wind. It was only supposed to get to the mid-50s by the time I finished. Other than the wind these seemed like perfect race temperatures to me. I’m glad I did a 5 minute warmup outside to help me feel confident in my clothing choices.

The race was a lot of both north and south running, with the last 5 miles being mainly north into the wind. I have trained with a lot of wind, but for the most part I tried to run cross to the wind and not directly into it. I was not looking forward to running into the wind for this race and for the last several miles to be directly into it.

The plan was to start out a little slower than marathon tempo pace for 2-3 miles, then pick it up to my marathon tempo pace until mile 16-17, and then see what I could do. I followed this plan reasonably well. The first 2-3 miles were slower than my 10:08 marathon tempo; however I picked it up a little faster than planned keeping it around 9:45/9:30 until mile 17. I was hoping that this speed would not be my downfall the last few miles, but I was feeling good with the wind at my back. At mile 17, I picked up the pace to around the 9 min range. I had 4 miles under 9 minutes in the last 9 miles!! And the rest stayed just over. Some of the miles into the wind were pretty difficult especially when there were stronger gusts. I was afraid that I may have picked up the pace too early, but I continued to push. I was a able to set a 33 minute PR thanks to my @DopeyBadger plan. Thanks, Billy!!

@LSUlakes - my marathon time was 4:11:48.

Hey all! This is going to be a review of the race - I'll do an in depth recap of my personal race in my training journal sometime this week.

Martha's Vineyard Race Review

Where: Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
What: Martha's Vineyard Marathon & Half Marathon (I ran the half and can only speak to that course and my experience)
When: May 19, 2018

This is the second running of the Martha's Vineyard Half & Full Marathon. I signed up for this race after finishing Princess so that I could get an idea of my half time when you take out character stops and the other fun things that slow you down at a Disney race.

Bib pick up was the day before, so we made a weekend out of it and headed onto the ferry early Friday and got our bibs. You could pick up the bib the morning of for a fee. The race started at 8:30 am, so we arrived just around 8:00 and waited inside the school (it starts at the high school) where it was warm. It was very nice not needing to wake up at 2:00 am for a race. We also stayed at a rental just a mile and a half away from the start, so we walked over. For those staying in hotels in or near the town centers, there were buses to the start line and then back to the hotels from the finish.

Bag check was cool - they gave you a backpack that you could use and keep as a souvenir. Jenna and I shared one. It was trucked over to the finish.

The course had some gentle hills, but was relatively flat for a New England course. It was all paved except for a short stretch along the airport's fence. We had poor weather, but I would imagine that on a hot day the breeze from the ocean would feel good. I can also imagine the views would be great when the weather is nice, but that's the risk of a race in May in New England. It could be gorgeous or it could be cold and rainy. We got cold and rainy.

A lot of the course was along roads. It started out quite congested as the vineyard has some "sidewalks" that veer away from the road and are separated from the road by a small patch of woods. But we did a little bit of weaving around those folks (we started in the back) and as we got into the race further the big patches of people thinned out and there was more room to run.

Overall I thought the run was really well-organized and I had a lot of fun. The weather was not ideal, but that's out of anyone's control. There wasn't a lot of local crowd support, but there were some families and individuals out with cowbells every so often (probably due to the poor weather). One woman ran by us on her morning run and then went home to get her dog and came out to different parts of the course to cheer people on - I saw her three times.

In terms of location, the only way to get to Martha's Vineyard is by plane (there is a small airport) or ferry. We went without a car and used borrowed bikes the first day to get around, but that was painful and not a great idea. The next day a friend came out to watch us finish the race and he had brought his car, so we were able to drive around and I realized that future trips for me I'll either pay for my car to be on the ferry or rent a car (whatever is cheaper). The last day we used lyfts, which are relatively expensive on the island. If you're just going for the race and not to make a weekend of it, it's probably not a big deal.

Overall a great experience! Very happy with my time, as well. :) Photos & details of my race coming to my training journal soon.

@LSUlakes My finish time was 2:37:45.4!

ETA: The swag you get! A race t-shirt, a buff, a medal, & a backpack.

Has anyone else seen the controversy around the Cleveland Marathon?

https://www.cleveland.com/marathon/index.ssf/2018/05/cleveland_marathon_2018_mens_r.html

The short story is that the winner covered his bib for most of the race and only showed it as he was crossing the finish line. He passed the leader at the time with less than a half mile to go. The leader was constantly checking for competition behind him and the concealed bib prevented him from recognizing that he was being passed by another marathoner. The half marathon course had merged at that point and runners for both were mixed. Super sketchy, if not outright illegal.

https://www.cleveland.com/marathon/index.ssf/2018/05/cleveland_marathon_2018_mens_r.html

The short story is that the winner covered his bib for most of the race and only showed it as he was crossing the finish line. He passed the leader at the time with less than a half mile to go. The leader was constantly checking for competition behind him and the concealed bib prevented him from recognizing that he was being passed by another marathoner. The half marathon course had merged at that point and runners for both were mixed. Super sketchy, if not outright illegal.

It isn't really sketchy at all. Hopefully he gets to keep his win. The race today started a bit cold and rainy despite the forecast calling for only a 5% chance of rain. He probably was a bit cold so started in the shirt (it was this year's Cleveland marathon shirt which is a give away) and kept it on until the very end. The ultimate winner was 3rd at the full turn around and the two ahead of him would have seen him then. The only runners on that part of the course (between 17 and 18) were the full runners so they knew exactly what race he was running. Besides, this guy flew past the second place runner. He would not have been able to keep up with him visible bib or not. Let's also think about this logically. If the guy was running that pace in either the 10K or Half he would have been long finished.

Only a tool gets beat and then tries to find a technicality to claim the win and I hope he fails. This reminds me of the George Brett pine tar bat incident. Was it technically against the rules? Maybe. Did it in any way actually change the outcome? No. George Brett still hits the home run and the same guys still wins this race with or without the technicality. I did the 10K today and jumped on a bike after to go find friends running the half. When these three passed me the winner was still in 3rd and I could tell from their body language he was going to win. I also didn't have any doubt which race he was running.

Meh. It happens.

It’s kind of a D move for the second-place finisher to say the reason he didn’t finish first was because he wasn’t sure the guy who passed him was running the half or full.

Lesson Learned for this guy: Always keep looking forward and not over your shoulder.

Last edited:
It isn't really sketchy at all. Hopefully he gets to keep his win. The race today started a bit cold and rainy despite the forecast calling for only a 5% chance of rain. He probably was a bit cold so started in the shirt (it was this year's Cleveland marathon shirt which is a give away) and kept it on until the very end. The ultimate winner was 3rd at the full turn around and the two ahead of him would have seen him then. The only runners on that part of the course (between 17 and 18) were the full runners so they knew exactly what race he was running. Besides, this guy flew past the second place runner. He would not have been able to keep up with him visible bib or not. Let's also think about this logically. If the guy was running that pace in either the 10K or Half he would have been long finished.

Only a tool gets beat and then tries to find a technicality to claim the win and I hope he fails. This reminds me of the George Brett pine tar bat incident. Was it technically against the rules? Maybe. Did it in any way actually change the outcome? No. George Brett still hits the home run and the same guys still wins this race with or without the technicality. I did the 10K today and jumped on a bike after to go find friends running the half. When these three passed me the winner was still in 3rd and I could tell from their body language he was going to win. I also didn't have any doubt which race he was running.

It may or may not have had any effect on the outcome. The 2nd place runner never went into any kind of kick because he never thought anyone was challenging him, so I think it’s a bit speculative to say there was no potential change to the outcome. I just thought this was an interesting case because I was under the impression that there was a requirement to display bibs, especially at the elite level. An expectation to the point that Boston gave all the elites 2 bibs due to the weather and the potential for needing layers this year.

Meh. It happens.

It’s kind of a D move for the second-place finisher to say the reason he didn’t finish first was because he wasn’t sure the guy who passed him was running the half or full.

Lesson Learned for this guy: Always keep looking forward and not over your shoulder.

If you watch the video, it was pretty evident that the winner intended to stay concealed until It was too late for anyone to react. He pulled the shirt covering his bib off at the last minute and started swinging it around in celebration as he crossed the finish line. Nobody comes out of this looking good, as the winner comes across as a D who didn’t think he’d win without the deception.

It may or may not have had any effect on the outcome. The 2nd place runner never went into any kind of kick because he never thought anyone was challenging him, so I think it’s a bit speculative to say there was no potential change to the outcome. I just thought this was an interesting case because I was under the impression that there was a requirement to display bibs, especially at the elite level. An expectation to the point that Boston gave all the elites 2 bibs due to the weather and the potential for needing layers this year.

If you watch the video, it was pretty evident that the winner intended to stay concealed until It was too late for anyone to react. He pulled the shirt covering his bib off at the last minute and started swinging it around in celebration as he crossed the finish line. Nobody comes out of this looking good, as the winner comes across as a D who didn’t think he’d win without the deception.

I'm going with @GreatLakes's account who actually saw the runners. :confused3

That's an interesting strategy to keep a shirt on until the last minute and then pull it off to blow past some guys though. :sad2:

ATT Disney Memories QOTD

Never visited the parks as a kid - I only remember a couple of kids from school that went, it was a long and expensive trip from NZ in the 80s, but I do have recollections of them talking about Matterhorn and Space Mountain and Montezuma's Revenge at Knotts. It was a place I knew existed and thought was cool but never thought I would ever go.

First actual visit was in 2013, when our kids were 4 & 7. I distinctly remember an overwhelming sense of amazement that first walk down Main Street, and thinking how perfect everything was. The attention to detail and Disney Magic was hammered home when we visited Legoland a couple of days later and I really began to appreciate just how good Disney is at theme parks. The kids of course loved it and I fell hook line and sinker. The immersion is complete, a total escape from real life, and a chance for us to be a family without any of the silly distractions daily life throws at us. And there are so many little bits of magic in the parks.

In terms of the perfect age - any age is perfect. The younger the kids are the more the memories are for the parents, the age we went with our kids was really good. They were old enough to last for a couple of late nights but young enough to be spellbound by the magic.

My thinking is, as long as he ran the whole course and dint cut the course or cheat any other way, what's the big deal he covered his bib. If I covered my bib it doesn't help me win any races, so this guy was fast enough to have a shot at winning. If I was in first place and saw someone running up in me I would run faster whether I could see their bib or not, I would assume they are trying to pass me.

Marine Corps Historic Half Recap: This was the hardest half marathon I have ever done, it was hilly, humid and hot! We drove up to Fredericksburg, VA Friday afternoon in typical I-64 and I-95 Friday traffic, mixed in with some torrential downpours. So that was fun. Woke up early to watch the Royal Wedding Saturday (DH was smart and brought ear plugs so he slept through it) then just kind of hung out and explored the area. We went to the Expo around 11. It was nice, not too many vendors, but well organized. The line to get through security was long when we left around 11:30, so our timing was perfect. I was asleep that night by 10 PM. DH woke up at 5 Sunday morning, I got up at 5:30. He did the Devil Dog Double Challenge, so he started the 5 miler at 6:40. That start line was 2 miles from our hotel, so he ran there as a warm-up. The half began at 7. We stayed at the host hotel (Hilton Garden Inn; do not recommend this one) so I walked to the start line in less than 5 minutes. Corrals are self-seeded based on finish time. We started right on time at 7. I had been down for most of the week leading up to this with some sort of viral infection (high fever, sore throat), so I had not even exercised in 9 days and I was still working on rehydrating by Sunday. I had no expectations for this race because of this. Started out a little faster than I planned, but one of the first little hills in mile 2 or 3 helped me slow down to where I wanted. DH caught up to me around mile 5 and then stuck with me until the finish. Those hills though....no treadmill training can even compare. I am so sore today from them. We ended up walking a lot, like all the uphills, but that was fine. We talked, talked to other runners, and just had a great time. I really enjoyed the course (even the hills); lots of turns that made it interesting and so much crowd support! The Marines were awesome too. The funniest part was on Hospital Hill (the largest incline somewhere between miles 10-11 I think). There was a little girl, maybe 11 years old, running up and down on the sidewalk yelling at us like a drill sergeant. It was funny but also I felt really bad about myself as we were walking up the hill. Oh well, makes for a good story. DH has done MCM once and enjoyed it, so we both agreed that the Marines put on some great events.

My overall pace was about 3 minutes slower than normal, and quite honestly, I don't feel bad about it. It was incredibly challenging, but we had a great time!

Last edited:
Marine Corps Historic Half Recap: This was the hardest half marathon I have ever done, it was hilly, humid and hot! We drove up to Fredericksburg, VA Friday afternoon in typical I-64 and I-95 Friday traffic, mixed in with some torrential downpours. So that was fun. Woke up early to watch the Royal Wedding Saturday (DH was smart and brought ear plugs so he slept through it) then just kind of hung out and explored the area. We went to the Expo around 11. It was nice, not too many vendors, but well organized. The line to get through security was long when we left around 11:30, so our timing was perfect. I was asleep that night by 10 AM. DH woke up at 5 Sunday morning, I got up at 5:30. He did the Devil Dog Double Challenge, so he started the 5 miler at 6:40. That start line was 2 miles from our hotel, so he ran there as a warm-up. The half began at 7. We stayed at the host hotel (Hilton Garden Inn; do not recommend this one) so I walked to the start line in less than 5 minutes. Corrals are self-seeded based on finish time. We started right on time at 7. I had been down for most of the week leading up to this with some sort of viral infection (high fever, sore throat), so I had not even exercised in 9 days and I was still working on rehydrating by Sunday. I had no expectations for this race because of this. Started out a little faster than I planned, but one of the first little hills in mile 2 or 3 helped me slow down to where I wanted. DH caught up to me around mile 5 and then stuck with me until the finish. Those hills though....no treadmill training can even compare. I am so sore today from them. We ended up walking a lot, like all the uphills, but that was fine. We talked, talked to other runners, and just had a great time. I really enjoyed the course (even the hills); lots of turns that made it interesting and so much crowd support! The Marines were awesome too. The funniest part was on Hospital Hill (the largest incline somewhere between miles 10-11 I think). There was a little girl, maybe 11 years old, running up and down on the sidewalk yelling at us like a drill sergeant. It was funny but also I felt really bad about myself as we were walking up the hill. Oh well, makes for a good story. DH has done MCM once and enjoyed it, so we both agreed that the Marines put on some great events.

My overall pace was about 3 minutes slower than normal, and quite honestly, I don't feel bad about it. It was incredibly challenging, but we had a great time!

Yeah, it was a tough day yesterday, but congratulations to you both on finishing your events! I've raced up that hill 7 times now and it's not getting any easier! :faint:

QOTD: Yesterday a sport legend for LSU fans passed away at the age of 80. His name is Billy Cannon, and for anyone who cheered for the purple and gold he is known for winning a national title, his famous Halloween run against Ole Miss, and our only Heisman winner. He could also run 100 meters in less than 10 seconds. Todays question is, do you get inspiration from athletes that are not really runners, but are inspiring to you in one way or another?

ATTQOTD: My answer is yes. Athletes that are successful all have a common characteristic that can inspire others to be their best.

Update on the home front. Conversations have been had, and I think things are moving in the right direction, but only time will tell if those talks did anything good. I appreciate everyone comments and advice. I'm hoping for the best outcome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter