• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2018

My name is super common... is it wrong to claim results from people with the same name as me who are much faster I am?
Heh... my last name is super common, one of those top 5 most common last names in the US names, but my first name (Miranda, if the username didn't give it away :D) is not so common... but there are a lot more people with my name running races than I would have thought, though going by the results in Athlinks that are not mine! :)

(And with similar emails... I get missent emails to my Gmail for at least 25-30 I call them doppelgangers from all over the world. You name, it, I've probably received emails about it... wedding vendors, car service, gift certificates to a massage parlor, gym membership in Australia, some kind of film producer in the UK, military spouse support groups, elementary school PTA, the list goes on and on and on. :D)

Fun fact I had like the #1 Irish Girl name prior to getting married and I would have thousands upon thousands of people to search through to find myself on anything. Now with my new last name it's much more rare :)
But my nickname + old last name was a character in a popular Mary Kate & Ashley movie so people had a hard time googling me.

QOTD: I'll always watch the Boston Marathon and the NYC Marathon. NYC moreso for the sights, but this past year I was actually on my feet in my living room when Shalane Flanagan was on the final stretch. Loved it.

ATTQOTD: I did not even know that they had marathons on TV :sad2:

But last weekend I listened to Shalane Flanagan through one of the Nike Run App Guided Run. It was fun to hear how she felt about that NYC Marathon.

Attqotd: I may have spent more time than I needed to on this website after you posted the question! There were a few races on there that I had forgot that I ran.

Yesterday’s question: I have watched during the Olympics and Boston.

ATTQOTD: Yes, Athlinks is a fun site to have all my races in one place, although it drives me nuts the way rD challenges are listed. I also found it crazy to find a handful of runners with the same name as my married name. Not that uncommon either apparently. :-)

Never heard of athlinks before today - but registered and claimed a bunch of races before even getting to the end of the thread!

There’s a very proficient runner with my (very uncommon) maiden name in Ireland!

Also, I claimed a race from grad school that I don’t even remember running! But now it’s my PR ;)

ATTQOTD: I never heard of Athlinks before reading this thread. I registered and it found my runDisney races but that is it. None of the Sportstats results appear there. I can’t find the events I run at either. So I’ll take others suggestions and build a spreadsheet.

ATTQOTD: Yes, I discovered Athlinks a few weeks ago and had some fun with looking at how far I’ve come. Unfortunately, our local company has decided to put a space in my last name when I register and now I can’t claim my half or 10K PR because Athlinks says it’s not me.

Well I ran and it was fine lol. I listened to Not Real Runners podcast and they were talking about the “rush” option for this year’s Marine Corps Marathon registration tomorrow. Just wanted to post this info in case anyone was interested. I’d try but $170+fees!!

http://www.marinemarathon.com/events/marathon/registration/

Still cheaper than Disney...

True, but the MCM people have been steadily increasing their fees in light of the race's popularity. If I'm remembering correctly, 2016 was still only $100, and then they jumped to $160 for 2017 and now to $170 for 2018. I'm wondering if that's why everyone (including me) I know who entered the lottery for 2017 got in - entrants were probably down due to the 60% fee jump. We'll see how 2018 shakes out. I'm still on the fence - I want to run it again but for $170, I'm hesitating. My race fees are starting to add up!

QOTD: Do you ever check out ATHLINKS.com? What do you use it for?
Thank you for introducing me to this! I used to use Gametiime/FitFam to track all of my race results (although you had to enter them manually). But, now FitFam is more about promoting their virtual races. I participate when the theme or charity speaks to me (for example, I sign up for all of the dog runs). But, I miss the ability to search for events and track my results in one place. I like the way Athlinks tracks your PRs all on one page!

QOTD: Do you ever check out ATHLINKS.com? What do you use it for?

ATTQOTD: I do look at it from time to time. It's not a site I look at often, but its nice how it collects all of your race results into one place. I like to look how my race times have gone over time and how many races I have run each year. The latest trend is not one that I am liking though...

Never heard of it before your post. I checked it out and it seems pretty accurate. Reminded me of my old times when I was much faster. :sad:

Question for the trail runners / cross country / runDisney experts!

I found a 10 mile trail run in May in the northern part of the state. This really looks like my last POT chance. It does not look like the area is hilly or much in the way of woods. looks like the run will take place on dirt farm roads. IS this much of concern on pace? Regular running shoes should work just fine here?

I also noticed that the runDisney site states that the race must be run after January 1, 2016. Is this correct or have they just not updated the web site? I kinda hope its the way to go here, because I wont need to worry about a POT race.

My other option is to run a half in NOLA this weekend that I will regret attempting. Again, its my own fault.

POT has to be two years old or less if I remember correctly.

QOTD: Now that the time change has happened, are you enjoying getting your afternoon runs in when the suns still up?

ATTQOTD: So far I havent gone for a afternoon run since the time changed, but that all changes today! I'm looking forward to not needing my light vest.

I also noticed that the runDisney site states that the race must be run after January 1, 2016. Is this correct or have they just not updated the web site? I kinda hope its the way to go here, because I wont need to worry about a POT race.
I posted this on the Marathon 2019 thread. I emailed RunDisney about the POT back in February and they replied. Interesting that it has been well over a month and the site has still not been updated with the correct date:

We appreciate your inquiry regarding proof of time dates for the 2019
Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend. We have researched with our
Registration Team and they confirmed that the Proof of Time dates
currently listed on runDisney.com are incorrect and they are working on
getting the correct dates posted. The correct date that should be listed
is any officially timed race reflecting results after January 1, 2017
can be used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter