The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I like Athlinks. I like having all the race results in one place.

They have taken a couple of features away in the last couple of years that I miss. Before, you could click on age group or gender or overall from a race, and it had a graph showing where folks were in front of you and behind you in time.

I don't know where they get their weather stats. I just looked at WDW 10k, and it showed a temp of 52 for the race....

Thanks for the tips re: the Garmin (and, @IamTrike, for the Gaffigan reference, which made me laugh). I ran on the treadmill with it this morning. It's definitely off in terms of pace (it said I was going faster than I was during the warmup and slower than I was during the T-pace), but I'm sure that's to be expected for a first run, especially since it was inside. To @Keels' point, thanks for the advice about using it inside first, there were lots of little things I wasn't really sure how to do, so you were totally right about it being a little easier to deal with in a controlled environment. Super excited to keep using it and see how the data evolve!

Just be aware that no matter how much you try, the watch is going to struggle with matching your treadmill (sometimes it will and sometimes it won't). Whether that be because the treadmill is off, or the arm carriage is different at similar pacing (basis for how the watch determines indoor speed without GPS signal), the watch is generally going to be off when it comes to the treadmill. A footpod or accelerometer on your foot like Stryd will help. Still won't match 100% with every treadmill you use (and part of that is treadmill variability as well). You can test the accuracy of your treadmill (link) to help figure out where the difference is occurring if you choose to go down that route. In general, for most of us, it's good enough.

Once the watch is outside, you'll find it to be pretty accurate. Setting it to one-second intervals will increase the accuracy by quite a bit. Then when you view your GPS map tracings post run you should find your tracing relatively close to your actual. I believe the GPS signal has a radius of 15m. For very short distances, stick with satellite tracings prior to starting the run from one man made object to the next. This will be more accurate at distances under 400m then will the watch.

The men's course records is 27:04. Looks like I need a new @DopeyBadger plan to hit the 3:30 per mile pace.

Don't undersell yourself. You've always been better at speed pacing! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the tips re: the Garmin (and, @IamTrike, for the Gaffigan reference, which made me laugh). I ran on the treadmill with it this morning. It's definitely off in terms of pace (it said I was going faster than I was during the warmup and slower than I was during the T-pace), but I'm sure that's to be expected for a first run, especially since it was inside. To @Keels' point, thanks for the advice about using it inside first, there were lots of little things I wasn't really sure how to do, so you were totally right about it being a little easier to deal with in a controlled environment. Super excited to keep using it and see how the data evolve!
Once you use the watch outside for a while, it will be more accurate inside. It has some learning stuff built in that it uses to calibrate itself so that it's more accurate indoors, but it needs to be used outside a while first to get to that point.

It always seems to be a little off for me even though mine should be well calibrated by now, just because I do hold my arms different I think, and I have a habit of sometimes holding the side rails while I'm walking because I always feel like I'm going to fly off the treadmill. The last time I did a treadmill run, I made a really conscious effort to keep swinging that arm as much as I would outdoors and if I was going to touch the side bars, only do it with my right watch-less hand. :) I ended up with the run within 0.01 of what the treadmill said, which maybe they're both not accurate, but at least they're consistently inaccurate. :) That was a lot better than the last few times when I ended up off by a half to almost a full mile. :o

Love it!! I had a Vivoactive 1 and was a big fan - I love that the Vivo 3 has a round face, the optical HR monitor and is SUPER light and thin. I don't feel like I'm wearing it, even when I'm sleeping.

The only crap thing about the Vivo series is if you need it for open-water swimming ... you can put it in your swim cap and hope for the best, but I haven't had the best results with it because the GPS tracking doesn't deal as well as with lap swimming in a pool. But it works great with my bike computer, my sensors, etc. And there are a LOT of band options - I have a leather band and a metal link band I can swap the rubber band out with in seconds to make it look nicer for wearing all the time.

The battery life is GREAT too! I took for-ev-er during Marathon this year and still had about 40% battery life left.

I just got a Fenix 5s too, but I haven't even taken it out of the box.
AWESOME. This is everything I needed to hear. I don't usually open swim unless I am actually training for a Triathlon (LOL), but right now I have the Garmin Swim for my lap swims and my Apple watch for biking and running. The idea of having this all in one beautiful watch is super appealing. Thanks Keels!

ATTQOTD: Didn't know this existed. Just made an account and it's not too happy I'm trying to claim old races in my maiden name lol

ATTQOTD: After listening to BibRave talk about Athlinks on their podcast, I downloaded it to see what it was about. It was neat to have all my race results pop up and to have them all their for me to look at. I wish it was easy to find friends and add them. I don't not like the app I just don't know how essential it is.

QOTD: Do you ever check out ATHLINKS.com? What do you use it for?

I check Athlinks once a quarter or so to make sure all my race results are shown. I find it to be a useful place to reference results when I need to look something up. Yes, I have a spreadsheet too which tracks my races and paces, but even with Dropbox, it's not always as easy to read on the go as Athlinks.

Question for the trail runners / cross country / runDisney experts!

I found a 10 mile trail run in May in the northern part of the state. This really looks like my last POT chance. It does not look like the area is hilly or much in the way of woods. looks like the run will take place on dirt farm roads. IS this much of concern on pace? Regular running shoes should work just fine here?

I also noticed that the runDisney site states that the race must be run after January 1, 2016. Is this correct or have they just not updated the web site? I kinda hope its the way to go here, because I wont need to worry about a POT race.

My other option is to run a half in NOLA this weekend that I will regret attempting. Again, its my own fault.

I found a 10 mile trail run in May in the northern part of the state. This really looks like my last POT chance. It does not look like the area is hilly or much in the way of woods. looks like the run will take place on dirt farm roads. IS this much of concern on pace? Regular running shoes should work just fine here?

I also noticed that the runDisney site states that the race must be run after January 1, 2016. Is this correct or have they just not updated the web site? I kinda hope its the way to go here, because I wont need to worry about a POT race.

My other option is to run a half in NOLA this weekend that I will regret attempting. Again, its my own fault.

I am by no means a trail expert, but I regularly run dirt country roads. Normal shoes would be fine. The affect on pace totally depends on the condition of the road- on packed dirt my pace is normal and it's a great running surface. If the gravel or sand is really thick (as it often is on the roads I run), it definitely affects pace. I think you should go for it!

POT is usually good for 2 years so I bet that hasn't been updated, I would think it would be after January 1, 2017?! Princess says "Proof of time must be provided from an officially timed race reflecting results after February 1, 2017"

I wear regular running shoes on dirt roads.

I know about Athlinks but don't use it. I wish did go back to when I first started road races that would be cool to see as I haven't kept track of stuff and don't have many races nowadays.

If it's flat, normal running shoes should be fine. Dedicated trail shoes really only have an advantage on hilly terrain, where their more aggressive lugs provide much better traction on the steep ascents and descents. If the trail is also very rocky (probably not an issue near you), the firmer sole of a trail shoe provides a little more protection vs. regular running shoes.

Good luck! I miss trail races. I'm finally running another in June - can't wait!

@LSUlakes Add me too:
02 - Disney at Heart - Disney Wine & Dine 5K (TBD / N/A)
03 - Disney at Heart - Disney Wine & Dine 10K (TBD / N/A)
04 - Disney at Heart - Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon (TBD / N/A)

Cataract surgery last Thursday and again this Thursday. The good: It's amazing to be able to see again! The bad: No running for a week after each surgery, so that means at least 2 weeks off. "Gettin' old ain't for sissies!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter