The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: Yesterday morning I was watching a little TV and saw that the LA Marathon was being aired. I got to watch the last 20-30 minutes of the men and women leaders. BTW the women's race was a good one! So, my question is, do you watch a marathon if it's on TV?

I have my DVR set to record the running and track & field category so I do get them all at least recorded. Some I watch (Boston and any I know someone in) and some I don't. I did make sure to watch the last few miles of NYC last year to see Shalane win.

QOTD: Do you ever check out ATHLINKS.com? What do you use it for?

I do check it out but don't really use it for much. I have a database of all my race results and since I started using a Garmin in 2010 I have everything in both SportTracks and Garmin Connect so use that instead.

ATTQOTD: I had never heard of athlinks. I pulled myself up and the results from my 2015 races are all wrong.

Garmin question: is it worth getting a medium to high end Garmin if I'm only using it for running?
Right now I have the FR10, which I use for running, a fitbit one which i use for step tracking, and a timex ironman watch that I use as my everyday watch. If I get a new Garmin, I probably just want it for running and will keep using my fitbit and my regular watch. Am i wasting my money buying something like the 235?
My FR10 works fine for me right now, but if I don't chicken out of signing up for the marathon, I was thinking I might want something fancier.

I just retired my Garmin 220 & my Apple Watch. I now have a Garmin 645 to use as my everyday watch. I like not having to switch out watches or wear two when I'm running. There are some fancier Garmins, but they have stuff I won't use. And I also wanted a watch with Garmin Pay. I get a kick out of being able to purchase stuff with my watch.

Question for the trail runners / cross country / runDisney experts!

I found a 10 mile trail run in May in the northern part of the state. This really looks like my last POT chance. It does not look like the area is hilly or much in the way of woods. looks like the run will take place on dirt farm roads. IS this much of concern on pace? Regular running shoes should work just fine here?

I also noticed that the runDisney site states that the race must be run after January 1, 2016. Is this correct or have they just not updated the web site? I kinda hope its the way to go here, because I wont need to worry about a POT race.

My other option is to run a half in NOLA this weekend that I will regret attempting. Again, its my own fault.
I do about 70% of my training off road. If it’s a packed dirt or gravel type path, I wear my Brooks Ghosts, although not a “Trail” shoe, it is a little more rugged than my road Nikes. My pace has slowed running on trails over the past few years, although that’s as much to do about age and creeping weight gain.

@LSUlakes — you can add Mountains to Main Street Half, Greenville SC, 5/19/18, goal of sub 2:20

QOTD: I rediscovered ATHLINKS recently and used it to fill in gaps in my running journal. It also provided me an accurate half marathon count (I usually would start counting them in the middle of a long run but would miss a few). In case anyone was wondering, the answer is 16.

I found a 10 mile trail run in May in the northern part of the state. This really looks like my last POT chance. It does not look like the area is hilly or much in the way of woods. looks like the run will take place on dirt farm roads. IS this much of concern on pace? Regular running shoes should work just fine here?

I also noticed that the runDisney site states that the race must be run after January 1, 2016. Is this correct or have they just not updated the web site? I kinda hope its the way to go here, because I wont need to worry about a POT race.

My other option is to run a half in NOLA this weekend that I will regret attempting. Again, its my own fault.

It should be 2017 not 2016.

I think it really depends on the surface. Here in NC we have two kinds of trails. Bridle trails/Fire roads and backpack trails. Fireroads/Bridle trails are usually like a mix of pea gravel and packed dirt. The surface is usually slightly softer than a paved trail which tends to make it a little bit easier on your joints and maybe a hair slower.

Backpack trails are hardpacked dirt an they often we've more. Here they also tend to have a lot of roots and they often wind up running across terrain that has a lot of short ups and downs.

If the trail is the first (which is what it sounds like) you should be fine getting a POT there.

I know about Athlinks but don't use it. I wish did go back to when I first started road races that would be cool to see as I haven't kept track of stuff and don't have many races nowadays.

Their search function is pretty powerful. Try searching for results under your name and see what turns up. If any of the results are yours, you can click and add them to your profile.

My 2 weekly maintenance runs are on every type of surface except road. I’ve found wearing Zensah ankle compression helps with stability. The surfaces I run on are not close to smooth with sticks, rocks and various tree cones and roots. I’ve used them since I rolled my ankle on a tiny cypress cone last summer. If it’s cold I wear the full knee socks; if it’s hot the toeless ankle highs work well. Other than that, I run the same.

At your convenience, if you could add the following race:

November 2 - TinkerBellLiz - Fall Feast 5K (NG / N/A)

The Challenge decision has to wait until we’ve done the Star Wars Weekend.

Their search function is pretty powerful. Try searching for results under your name and see what turns up. If any of the results are yours, you can click and add them to your profile.
Good idea, I searched I have a 2004 one but nothing before then. I know some didn't have chips as that 2004 race it was a big deal to do the chip on the shoe thing. I have 2 non-Disney races on tap this year so I'm stepping up my race game up away from the mouse house which I haven't done in 3.5 yrs. ha!

Curious, What's the earliest race anyone has on there, anyone know? My first half in 1997 doesn't show up, but I don't know how they timed it then.

All they do are scrape results sites, so if you really are missing things that you want in there, just add a new event, or add a new year if the event already exists, and then enter your time and a link to the results page. :)

I have unclaimed results in mine going back to 1996.

I just retired my Garmin 220 & my Apple Watch. I now have a Garmin 645 to use as my everyday watch. I like not having to switch out watches or wear two when I'm running. There are some fancier Garmins, but they have stuff I won't use. And I also wanted a watch with Garmin Pay. I get a kick out of being able to purchase stuff with my watch.

I sold my Apple Watch for a Garmin 935 myself. As a runner, the Apple Watch just doesn't have the battery life necessary for multiple runs and the need to download multiple apps for all the health functions is a pain. The newer Garmins (935, Fenix 5, and 645) all have similar functions and I think it's the best watch for athletes!

I sold my Apple Watch for a Garmin 935 myself. As a runner, the Apple Watch just doesn't have the battery life necessary for multiple runs and the need to download multiple apps for all the health functions is a pain. The newer Garmins (935, Fenix 5, and 645) all have similar functions and I think it's the best watch for athletes!

I tried using the apple watch to run and it just wasn't accurate for pace or distance. One time I ran a route that I knew was a 5K. The apple watch said I ran 4.2 miles!

QOTD: Do you ever check out ATHLINKS.com? What do you use it for?

I hadn't heard of this site until your post. After a quick look, there are apparently more people with my name who run than I realized! It may become a project for some day that I don't want to do something more productive.

I'm looking for a 8 week 10 mile race plan. starting w/4 days for 2 weeks, then 5. Max long run ~14. @DopeyBadger you busy? Anyone tried the Hal Higdon 15k/10 miler plans? Thoughts?

I used the Higdon 10 Miler (Novice Plan) and had no issues with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter