The Running Thread - 2018

Disney extras I have done:

MNSSHP--I have done this twice. First time was with all my kids (ages 4, 7, 10 at time). We all loved it, but kids were really dragging at the end. I did it again with dd (age 11) this past fall. Absolutely would do it again--we had so much fun.

Keys to the Kingdom--Just did this in January and highly recommend. It was 5 hours and I thought a bargain compared to some things at WDW.

Wild Africa Trek--Just did this in November. This is my favorite thing I have ever done at Disney. Pricey for my family, but very worth it.

Pirates and Pals Fireworks Cruise (I think this is what it is called)-- It leaves from Contemporary. We did this when my kids were still pretty little. It was a little chilly (in January) but we had a blast. I probably wouldn't do this again since my kids are older. Very good if you have a Peter Pan fan.

My Perfectly Princess Tea Party (at Grand Floridian)--I did this with dd on her 8th birthday. We had fun, but that is the oldest age I would recommend.

Bippidi Boppidi Boutique at MK - I had to let dd do this once even though that lacquered up hair and glitter is so not my thing. She loved it and I was glad I only had one daughter.

Wonderland Tea Party at GF --DD and my youngest DS did this together (I think she was 7 and he was 4). It was only maybe 1-1.5 hours long? The photo pass pics were awesome and dh and I had a nice drink at the club level lounge while they were there.

Moonlight Magic at MK - Just did this in January. Technically it is free to DVC, but thinking about how much I have spent one DVC, it no longer seems free. It rained hard during the event at first, but we had a blast (that may have been due to the fact that we were childless also). We plan to all go to the Moonlight Magic at Typhoon Lagoon in May.

Things I haven't done:

MVMCP - I want to do this since we love the Halloween Party so much. When I was there this past November, they did not run the party that week. Looks like this year will be the same since it is the week before Thanksgiving. Not sure when I would ever make it since I don't plan to pull kids out of school for Disney trips anymore.

Dessert Parties-- These sound neat to me, then I look at the price and don't see the value. I love dessert, just not filling up on them. Then coupled with the whole "My family and I don't like fireworks". I should say we like fireworks because it makes the ride lines shorter during the display.

Backstage Magic --The 8 hour tour. This is on my to-do list on the next adults only trip.

And congrats to Princess racers. I looked at results and saw a friend of mine finished 4 OA and 1st Master. I didn't even know she was running it. I aspire to run like her.

Quick Princess Recap: I knew going in I wasn’t going to try to PR, so my husband and I just took it easy. No character stops, just a nice pace the whole time. It was certainly humid, but I never felt spent. Been having some calf/shin pain, so I actually switched up my shoes last week so they only had 12 miles on them at the start. And by switched up, I don’t mean new shoes; I went from stability shoes to neutral! Sounds stupid and crazy, but I did this run completely pain free, so it was a gamble that ended up working out. Some rock tape helped as well. Thank you to anyone who went out to spectate, the course support was excellent. The corrals and start line were a little weird (we had to walk through uneven grass to get to our corral? And I already had 2.5 miles on my Fitbit when we started), but this might have been the best time I’ve ever had at a runDisney event.

Side note for the Tailwind fans, if you follow them on Instagram, my husband was asked to take over their stories this morning during the race!

Everyone else covered the basics, but I'm just going to add one thing: run your own race. If getting swept up in the race excitement is something you think you'll enjoy, then do it. If you'd rather keep to yourself until the race starts, do that. If everyone else around you is stopping for high fives with a spectator and you don't want to do that, don't (or if you do, get that high five!). If everyone else speeds up or slows down at a certain point and you want to stay where you are, do that. Whatever you do, make sure it's what you want to do and not what peer pressure is telling you to do.

Congrats on signing up for race number one. My advice: Run the race you trained for. Don't let your nerves, worries, fears, anticipation, excitement, excessive competition, et all get the better of you on race day. Run your race and focus on what you're doing. I learned from experience the hard way. I did none of that my first race and very nearly had to withdraw less than 1/2 a mile in because I was in severe pain.

This is really good advice from both of you. I have to keep constantly reminding myself that I'm not competing with anyone else, so as long as I'm doing the best I can, that's all I need to worry about. Thanks. :)

I went to the Polynesian for a run today, and I saw so many half marathon medals, I am insanely jealous of everyone who has one, and I can't wait to sign up for the next RunDisney event I can get in.

This is really good advice from both of you. I have to keep constantly reminding myself that I'm not competing with anyone else, so as long as I'm doing the best I can, that's all I need to worry about. Thanks. :)

I went to the Polynesian for a run today, and I saw so many half marathon medals, I am insanely jealous of everyone who has one, and I can't wait to sign up for the next RunDisney event I can get in.
In 2008 and 2009 I visited Disneyland over Labor Day weekend which was also Disneyland Half Marathon weekend. Seeing all the runners with their medals proved to be my gateway into running. What I thought could well be a one and done event now sees me training for yet another Star Wars race weekend and my 9th half marathon overall.

From that I think it's not a tough reservation. Which is great for those of us who love the food there. I was intimidated because the food sounded different to me and not at all what I'm used to. But I wanted to do the Rivers of Light dining package so I could "save the fastpass" and so many rave reviews on Tiffins persuaded me to give it a try. And I am so glad I did. The meat was so tender. The potatoes were tremendous. I cleaned my plate. The dessert was exquisite.

Was the menu limited as part of the Rivers of Light Dining Package? I’d like to go that route, if possible, but we were disappointed in DL when we booked the World of Color Dining Package at Wine Country Trattoria and had a limited menu to choose from.

QOTD: The winter Olympics are officially over. Did you watch any of it this year? Do you prefer the summer games or winter games?

ATTQOTD: I watched a few events here and there when I had some free time. I like the summer games because of the running, swimming, and basketball events.

QOTD: The winter Olympics are officially over. Did you watch any of it this year? Do you prefer the summer games or winter games?

Summer games here (DH), because there was a time when it was my goal to compete in them. A woman from our area won gold in London. I can remember competing against her when she must've been 12-14.

Enjoy the winter games usually, but they just weren't interesting this year for some reason.

I love the Olympics, especially the Winter Olympics, and watched a lot of the coverage. Winter provides a much more compelling viewing experience for me because it's an opportunity to watch the sports that I have little to no exposure to, living in a temperate climate. Luge, bobsled, curling, skiing (classic, not the X-Games crossover events), skeleton and biathlon are all great to watch and learn about. Even a little speed skating and ice hockey here and there. Paradoxically, it's the Summer Olympics that leave me cold. There's so little there that I can't see on a routine basis, it doesn't have the same magic. The only events that I find to be compelling to watch there are water polo, team handball and field hockey, none of which get much air time.

Love the winter games! Watched most events especially the gold medal women’s hockey and men’s curling. I love both summer and winter. The opening and closing ceremonies were great and really showcased new technologies.

We watched a ton of the Olympics. I love the Winter ones. I have cross country skied my whole life, so I really enjoy watching those races, especially when it is a close finish or someone who is not teh favorite pulls away. We also really enjoy skeleton and bobsled, because you just don't see that much besides the Olympics. Generally, my DH hates watching the figure skating, but even he enjoyed that this year. We do also watch a ton of the Summer ones as well. Of course we watch all the track events and I really enjoy the swimming and diving. DH is sad they are over as now he has to go back to enduring episodes of the real housewives :rotfl2:

Of course. I enjoy most of the events in the Winter Olympics I think because they are so foreign to me. I mean, obviously I know skiing and snowboarding and such exist and you pick up quickly from watching it how the events work but it's not something I see on a regular basis or had the opportunity to try out growing up. I also watch a lot of Summer Olympics but those I focus more on sports I did or tried out growing up that I have background knowledge and interest in.

I really like winter and summer equally. Some sports I really enjoy in each. For whatever reason this year, though, I barely watched at all. Just didn't seem to find the time this time. :(

I love it all!! And get totally sucked in to pretty much any event and/or personal story.

w48so.jpg

Trying to come out of Dis lurkdom now that I am running without foot pain again (thank God - Goofy Challenge with nagging foot pain was not as bad as I expected, but annoying the whole time). No Disney races for me this year most likely, but I'll still enjoy training and generally seeing what's up on this thread :)

Still watching them - I recorded all the afternoon and primetime coverage. Couldn't keep up with the livestreams online, but I'm slowly coming to the end of my recordings. Still haven't seen the final of the ladies' figure skating, so I've been avoiding spoilers all two weeks once I got behind. Also recorded the closing ceremonies in case I care about them. I love both Olympics and get super into them every time they are on :) I love seeing all the obscure sports and just the dedication behind all the athletes. Plus, it doesn't hurt that it is kind of a feel-good moment every few years despite all the crazy going on in the world.

I watched the figure skating, especially with a few Canadian skaters retiring from competition after this. Loved seeing ice dancers Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir. They are so adorable!
I did get Olympic updates from my brother's social media pages who was there "working". He looked like he was having way too much fun for it to be called work.

Not a second of it! I did watch Celebrity Big Brother instead including the live feeds. That was more interesting!

I do watch some of the summer Olympic games though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter