The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD (Friday): We have done:
MNSSHP
MVMCP
ROL Dining Package
Star Wars Dessert Party
Magic Kingdom After Hours
Food and Wine Fest Premium Package (RIP)
Various Food and Wine Festival Lunches/Events
Highway in the Sky (does that count?)

I would only do MNSSHP and MVMCP if someone gave me tickets. We had a blast, but it was one and done. ROL bored me. I’m not a dessert person really so Star Wars was fine. We went to one of the first After Hours events at Magic Kingdom where DVC got free tickets (bc Disney wasn’t selling any/also we’re not DVC but a friend gave us her extra tickets). It was amazing but I would not pay what they were charging at the time ($150 I think?). However, we heard there were less than 1000 guests in the park that night which was pretty cool. Premium Package at Food and Wine was one of the best purchases I’ve ever made and I miss it. I would probably pay $500 per person for it. Every Food and Wine event we’ve done has been fabulous. And Highway in the Sky was amazing. Such a fun event.

Tiffins: easily competing with Cali Grill for us. I might be rope dropping Nomad Lounge today, i.e. the best kind of rope drop.

Good morning all. Been occupied away from here. I am in Disney for the Princess Half Marathon Weekend My daughter and I are running the half. We will be in costume. :lmao: remember 2 years ago my daughter and I.

IMG_20160221_093335.jpg

Last year I couldn't find a Belle dress to fit. Well this year I was able to find an adult plus 3X that fit. So I am going as Snow White and daughter is Dopey. :rotfl2:. Can't wait for the on course pics.

I'm doing the Best Damn Race 5K in Orlando next week (3/3), so I can probably let you know a little more about it after.

This will be my first official race. I've tried running off and on over the last couple of years, but never really enjoyed it and always found a reason to quit. I started back again in January, and this time feels different. I am actually enjoying it, not finding excuses to not run, not dreading it and hating it like l used to. I'm anxious to get out there and push further. I'm not super fast and I don't run long distances (yet) but I'm hoping if I keep at it, that will come in time. This thread has been really helpful to me, when I feel like I'm struggling and not doing as well as I wish I could, I see that even the veteran runners started the same way. So thanks everybody, for that.

I know I can finish a 5K in a reasonable amount of time, because I've done it a couple times in the last month or so. But never with a few hundred other people. So I was wondering if anyone had any advice for a first timer. Is there one thing you wish someone had told you before you ran your first race?
The one thing that really surprised me at my first race (a local 5k fun run) was how much standing around there was before the start. It is really hard on the body to just stand around in your corral and wait when your race day nerves are going. All of your muscles tighten up, especially if it's cold (which shouldn't be a problem for you). Then...it's time to GO! It will take your body a while to get in the swing of things, even longer if the course is crowded. Just go into it with a goal of doing your best and having fun. Next time will be different because you'll have a better idea what to expect.

I'm doing the Best Damn Race 5K in Orlando next week (3/3), so I can probably let you know a little more about it after.

This will be my first official race. I've tried running off and on over the last couple of years, but never really enjoyed it and always found a reason to quit. I started back again in January, and this time feels different. I am actually enjoying it, not finding excuses to not run, not dreading it and hating it like l used to. I'm anxious to get out there and push further. I'm not super fast and I don't run long distances (yet) but I'm hoping if I keep at it, that will come in time. This thread has been really helpful to me, when I feel like I'm struggling and not doing as well as I wish I could, I see that even the veteran runners started the same way. So thanks everybody, for that.

I know I can finish a 5K in a reasonable amount of time, because I've done it a couple times in the last month or so. But never with a few hundred other people. So I was wondering if anyone had any advice for a first timer. Is there one thing you wish someone had told you before you ran your first race?

1. Congratulations on entering your first race! Enjoy the experience, and hopefully the journey to follow. It's a lot of work and a WHOLE lot of fun, especially if you ever do a runDisney event (and you should!)

2. Don't start too fast. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement and take off like a rocket at the start, but avoid that temptation. You've got 3.1 miles to go, so leave something in the tank for that final stretch. With each mile marker, reassess how you're feeling, and adjust your pace as needed. If you're still feeling like you could go faster when you pass Mile 2, pick up the pace and finish strong!

3. Have fun out there! Read the spectators' signs, get some high-5s from kids, and encourage your fellow runners. If someone is struggling, give them a few encouraging words. It can really make a huge difference to hear some positive thoughts from a fellow runner, and you'll feel better for doing it.

4. Don't worry too much about your time. It's your first race! If you enjoy the experience and want to do it again, then that's a successful result IMHO. Best of luck to you!

QOTD: Which of the following did you find to the most difficult from a physical view point:
A. Zero running to 5k
B. 5k to 10k
C. 10k to Half Marathon
D. Half Marathon to Marathon
E. Marathon to Ultra

Also, using the choices above which one was more of a mental challenge?

I was already running for a few years when I did my first race, the 2015 Goofy and I remember being pretty worked about being able to complete it. So I guess I would say C & D. I still get anxious about 5k’s so A works also. With my big race this summer E is very much a mental challenge.

QOTD: Todays question is somewhat running related. For those of you who run a runDisney race, or races over the weekend, how do you plan your trips? What I mean by that is, do you plan on having park days before the race weekend, after, both, or only during the event weekend itself? When running multiple races do you spend time in the parks after each race or do you focus on recovery and preparing for the next race?

Based on when I could get time off I have done race weekends where I went into the parks before and during the races and also done trips where I saved the parks for after the races. If I have my choice I find it more enjoyable to have time after the race weekend.

Fun Friday QOTD: What extra ticket type of event at Disney have you done or want to do? Which would you not recommend?

I have never done one of the extra ticket events but I would love to do a tour. The Walking in Walt’s Shoes TOur sounds awesome!!

Good luck to everyone running this weekend!

DW and I are going to WDW in mid-May for a non-running visit. Tiffin’s has never been on our radar, but you’ve got me intrigued. Is the menu the same for lunch and dinner? Is it a tough reservation?
I wanted to see how tough the reservation is. I found, both to my delight and chagrin, that if I was going to WDW this Wednesday February 28th, I could get a dinner reservation for 2 people at either 4:45, 5:35, 5:50, 6:05, or 6:25pm. May 16th returned 3 times ranging from 5:45 to 6:35pm.

From that I think it's not a tough reservation. Which is great for those of us who love the food there. I was intimidated because the food sounded different to me and not at all what I'm used to. But I wanted to do the Rivers of Light dining package so I could "save the fastpass" and so many rave reviews on Tiffins persuaded me to give it a try. And I am so glad I did. The meat was so tender. The potatoes were tremendous. I cleaned my plate. The dessert was exquisite.

I like Be Our Guest. I love the atmosphere. I think the food is pretty good. I really love Le Cellier. This summer Be Our Guest turns into a signature level restaurant for dinner. If I could only recommend one signature restaurant, I would not hesitate to choose Tiffins.

1. Congratulations on entering your first race! Enjoy the experience, and hopefully the journey to follow. It's a lot of work and a WHOLE lot of fun, especially if you ever do a runDisney event (and you should!)

2. Don't start too fast. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement and take off like a rocket at the start, but avoid that temptation. You've got 3.1 miles to go, so leave something in the tank for that final stretch. With each mile marker, reassess how you're feeling, and adjust your pace as needed. If you're still feeling like you could go faster when you pass Mile 2, pick up the pace and finish strong!

3. Have fun out there! Read the spectators' signs, get some high-5s from kids, and encourage your fellow runners. If someone is struggling, give them a few encouraging words. It can really make a huge difference to hear some positive thoughts from a fellow runner, and you'll feel better for doing it.

4. Don't worry too much about your time. It's your first race! If you enjoy the experience and want to do it again, then that's a successful result IMHO. Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm definitely not going for speed, just gonna try to keep it at my normal steady pace this first time, unless, like you said, I get that burst at the end.

A Disney race is 100% on my to do list. I'm actually a little heart broken that I didn't get to do the Princess 5K. I went to the expo yesterday and saw everyone walking around with their medals, and I was so bummed I didn't have one. But it just wasn't something i was thinking about until it was way too late. I'm definitely going to try to get in on the Food & Wine...thinking 10K.

I did my first race this winter. It was a 5k and I wish someone would have told me what a cluster the beginning would be. I use Galloway but I didn't take a walk break for at least the first mile, maybe more. Many didn't line up with the correct pacers (they had pacers and not corrals) so it ended up with walkers at the very front while runners were behind dodging all the walkers. It was still really fun and I only missed my goal by about 30 seconds. Have fun!

Thanks! I'm thinking I'll just hang toward the back and let everyone who isn't pushing a stroller or walking a dog get ahead of me.

The one thing that really surprised me at my first race (a local 5k fun run) was how much standing around there was before the start. It is really hard on the body to just stand around in your corral and wait when your race day nerves are going. All of your muscles tighten up, especially if it's cold (which shouldn't be a problem for you). Then...it's time to GO! It will take your body a while to get in the swing of things, even longer if the course is crowded. Just go into it with a goal of doing your best and having fun. Next time will be different because you'll have a better idea what to expect.

I've heard the standing around waiting can be an issue, but yes luckily you're right, cold won't be a problem. :)

Congrats on signing up for race number one. My advice: Run the race you trained for. Don't let your nerves, worries, fears, anticipation, excitement, excessive competition, et all get the better of you on race day. Run your race and focus on what you're doing. I learned from experience the hard way. I did none of that my first race and very nearly had to withdraw less than 1/2 a mile in because I was in severe pain.

Once I slowed down and ran what I prepared for, things got better. That said my first race nearly became my only race because it wasn't much fun. My desire to earn the runDisney Coast to Coast medal got me to sign up for races 2 and 3. And now, realizing that I am only competing seriously with myself, I have had so much more fun at every race since. Ironically enough, race number 1 is still my "fastest" time, but it's also the only race where I didn't stop for pictures or anything fun like that. And race number is 1 or 2 minutes "faster" than 3 races where I stopped for photos.

The time off depends on where you start counting it. After Dopey, I took the normal two weeks off for rest and recovery. I then put in a week of training, during which the issue flared up. Since that point, I have not run in 4 weeks, but I have been putting in 3-4 miles on the elliptical at approximately Easy B pacing 3-4x/week the last couple of weeks. I don’t think I’ve lost everything at this point, but appropriate pacing for these next few weeks is a concern.

I have 14 weeks until my next scheduled race (half marathon) since I had to bail on the ultra, so there’s a little ramp up time available. The Higdon plan I go to for these basic rebuilds starts at R/3/3/3/R/4/R, so I didn’t think that was a bad place to come back to, given my being fully marathon trained and fit 7 weeks ago. I’m certainly open to suggestions, especially around pacing, though.

On another note, I really liked the additional fitness moving up to 5 days/week running gave me last year, but this shin issue makes me wonder if that’s a bit much. My thought thus far has been to keep the 5th day on the plan, but run it on the elliptical so as to gain at least partial cardio benefits without the additional impact load from the run.

So I followed the same protocol as what I used for myself.

First 5 days = 0 adjustment
Days without leg aerobic = -0.0030
Days with leg aerobic = -0.0015
Days with running = +0.00192

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 5.10.51 PM.png

Leads to a 0.9459 VDOT adjustment. Your Dopey training plan VDOT was 38.9. So, 0.9459*38.9 = 36.8. That would be the following new paces for the next 5 weeks:

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 5.14.06 PM.png

For the next week do no more than 33% of the mileage you were doing during Dopey training. Then for two weeks do no more than 50%. Then for the last two weeks do no more than 75% of the mileage. During this entire 5 week period of time, stick to pacing at LR or slower (primarily EA or EB). After the 5 weeks, you can return to the previous pacing scheme.

This is how I interpret Jack Daniels guidance on returning to running for your situation.

Have fun!! And, don’t trust the first mile - it’s always my worst, it takes me a little while to settle in. Just keep running!

Reactions: BFD

Everyone else covered the basics, but I'm just going to add one thing: run your own race. If getting swept up in the race excitement is something you think you'll enjoy, then do it. If you'd rather keep to yourself until the race starts, do that. If everyone else around you is stopping for high fives with a spectator and you don't want to do that, don't (or if you do, get that high five!). If everyone else speeds up or slows down at a certain point and you want to stay where you are, do that. Whatever you do, make sure it's what you want to do and not what peer pressure is telling you to do.

Good luck! I hope you tell us how it went!!

Last year I couldn't find a Belle dress to fit. Well this year I was able to find an adult plus 3X that fit. So I am going as Snow White and daughter is Dopey. :rotfl2:. Can't wait for the on course pics.

I am super excited to see pictures - I'm sure they will be awesome!

@LSUlakes, I've got a few more races to add. Still no goals because I'm figuring some stuff out.

April 22 - SarahDisney - Run as One (4M) Presented by JPMorgan Chase (TBA/N/A)
June 3 - SarahDisney - Italy Run by Ferrero (5M) (TBA/N/A)
August 5 - SarahDisney - NYRR Manhattan 7 Mile (TBA/N/A)

(wow, NYRR really likes races with sponsors... but I am excited for the Italy Run by Ferrero because I expect there to be Nutella)

I am super excited to see pictures - I'm sure they will be awesome!

It is going to be a blast. This year's half is actually on my birthday. So to be running with my daughter on the b-day is extra special. I was hoping for a little bit cooler Temps for tomorrow. I do not think there will be too many guys running in a full length Snow White gown. So for those that are here. That is me. I just might sweat a few pounds off. :lmao:

It is going to be a blast. This year's half is actually on my birthday. So to be running with my daughter on the b-day is extra special. I was hoping for a little bit cooler Temps for tomorrow. I do not think there will be too many guys running in a full length Snow White gown. So for those that are here. That is me. I just might sweat a few pounds off. :lmao:
Full length? No...my husband has the slutty version.

I have to do his make up soon...

Full length? No...my husband has the slutty version.

I have to do his make up soon...
So today really was a "drag race" :duck:
Good luck everybody!

Edited to say I just looked up the real RuPaul's drag race to see whether they actually race. No concrete answer on the front page of the website but looking at their heels I hope they don't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter