***The Official AKV Owners And Lovers Thread***. Come And Chat

We are doing a mostly resort only stay at Kidani in early July. It will be me, my husband, our 2 college age sons, my father-in-law, my brother-in-law and his wife, so 7 total. AKV is one of our home resorts. While we have stayed at Jambo several times, we’ve only stayed at Kidani once but didn’t have mobility concerns then as we do now. We are currently booked in a 2 Bdr Standard view at Kidani to have the extra bathroom and better beds in the dedicated 2 Bdr.

My FIL will be using a walker and wheelchair, and I’ve recently had an unexpected injury and broken my ankle, tibia & torn ligaments. I just had surgery to repair all of this and have about 5 months until our trip to heal and hopefully be far enough along in PT to walk on my own by then but will plan on taking my knee scooter and cane if i need them.

I’m considering switching to a savanna view since there’s still availability and know we will have time to enjoy the view, especially since my FIL & I will likely be limited in how much walking around we can do. Any advice or tips on upgrading to savanna view and what location is best for us to request? I am concerned about switching and requesting close to lobby (I know that’s a popular request) and not getting it and being so far away from everything. Are we better off keeping standard view?

We are doing a mostly resort only stay at Kidani in early July. It will be me, my husband, our 2 college age sons, my father-in-law, my brother-in-law and his wife, so 7 total. AKV is one of our home resorts. While we have stayed at Jambo several times, we’ve only stayed at Kidani once but didn’t have mobility concerns then as we do now. We are currently booked in a 2 Bdr Standard view at Kidani to have the extra bathroom and better beds in the dedicated 2 Bdr.

My FIL will be using a walker and wheelchair, and I’ve recently had an unexpected injury and broken my ankle, tibia & torn ligaments. I just had surgery to repair all of this and have about 5 months until our trip to heal and hopefully be far enough along in PT to walk on my own by then but will plan on taking my knee scooter and cane if i need them.

I’m considering switching to a savanna view since there’s still availability and know we will have time to enjoy the view, especially since my FIL & I will likely be limited in how much walking around we can do. Any advice or tips on upgrading to savanna view and what location is best for us to request? I am concerned about switching and requesting close to lobby (I know that’s a popular request) and not getting it and being so far away from everything. Are we better off keeping standard view?
Hi,

I am sorry to hear of your recent injury and restrictions. Having been there myself, I know it's no picnic and I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

I, too, am an AKV owner and have stayed in the dedicated 2 bedroom. So in my opinion, I would go for the savannah view. I usually stay in Kidani for the zebra's and girafee's, but Jambo may be a better option for the quick service Mara and the bigger pool. Either/both are beautiful (as you know) and convenient.

Also, perhaps call the resort directly a week before arrival and explain your situation, stressing you would need a room closer to the main areas. They are pretty good with giving you the room you need. I did this once when I was with my older cousins - two of them with leg/ankle issues. We were given a 2 bedroom close to the lobby in Kidani which worked very well for us. Even the proximity to the shuttle to and from Jambo was a huge plus for those of us who couldn't walk too long.

Good luck with your recovery and planning and enjoy that beautiful resort.

Dee

Hi,

I am sorry to hear of your recent injury and restrictions. Having been there myself, I know it's no picnic and I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

I, too, am an AKV owner and have stayed in the dedicated 2 bedroom. So in my opinion, I would go for the savannah view. I usually stay in Kidani for the zebra's and girafee's, but Jambo may be a better option for the quick service Mara and the bigger pool. Either/both are beautiful (as you know) and convenient.

Also, perhaps call the resort directly a week before arrival and explain your situation, stressing you would need a room closer to the main areas. They are pretty good with giving you the room you need. I did this once when I was with my older cousins - two of them with leg/ankle issues. We were given a 2 bedroom close to the lobby in Kidani which worked very well for us. Even the proximity to the shuttle to and from Jambo was a huge plus for those of us who couldn't walk too long.

Dee
I agree with this, regarding what to do, and we would change to Savannah view.

Hi,

Dee
Thank you so much! I am planning to upgrade to savanna view and will definitely call the resort the week before we arrive - great idea!

I own one contract at Kidani and one at Jambo (it doesn't matter at all which one is the PHYSICAL LOCATION of your contract) and have stayed at AK more times than I can easily count. I have been very happy in the studio, 1 bedroom and two bedroom units at both resorts. My family currently has two reservations for 2 different two bedroom units at Jambo in the fall.

But I have only ever stayed in Savannah View rooms. Clearly that is what we love, and that is what I recommend, IF it fits into your point budget. We always do schedule particular times, every day, to go out on the balconies and look at the animals on the Savannahs. That is one of the things that truly makes AKV different. But it is up to you.

For those that have stayed in Value Rooms, what request do you put in to try and get the Savannah rooms?

Do you simply request the view or give specific wings/numbers?

For those that have stayed in Value Rooms, what request do you put in to try and get the Savannah rooms?

Do you simply request the view or give specific wings/numbers?
Hi - They won't take requests for value or club level rooms as there are so few to start with. It's a trade off for being able to save significant points.

There are 18 Value Studio rooms with 8 facing a small portion of the sunset savanna, 8 facing the pool and 2 facing the front entrance. Odds are you will get a decent view.
If you have a 1 bedroom unit there are a total of 10 rooms with 4, 4 and 2 respectively. Odds are slightly less of getting SV or pool view, but still good. You should know that that little area of the savanna is not known for many animals, but over the years I have seen giraffe sleep there.

Last edited:

First of all, I also had major mobility issues last time I stayed at Kidani-I had put in requests, went to the front desk on arrival to reiterate, yet I got savannah view way out past the pool and further than any standard view rooms. So based on my experience I'd suggest the you just keep what you have and hope. However, perhaps your experience in a savannah view 2 BR would be better.

Hi - They won't take requests for value or club level rooms as there are so few to start with. It's a trade off for being able to save significant points.

There are 18 Value Studio rooms with 8 facing a small portion of the sunset savanna, 8 facing the pool and 2 facing the front entrance. Odds are you will get a decent view.
If you have a 1 bedroom unit there are a total of 10 rooms with 4, 4 and 2 respectively. Odds are slightly less of getting SV or pool view, but still good. You should know that that little area of the savanna is not known for many animals, but over the years I have seen giraffe sleep there.
Thanks for the info. Yeah I guess chances of getting the parking lot view are slim but would much rather have the pool view than that! Staying in October and was able to get the value as my points have already been depleted this year and needed to start borrowing. This morning I could've grabbed a Boulder Ridge or put in a waitlist for BLT standard as we're looking to do Not So Scary with a 6 year old and the thought of schlepping to AKL late at night gives me pause but....
points...cheap....will just deal with it...

I want to get some opinions on AKV split stays…
IF you do a split stay, do you like or would you rather start your vacation at AKV or end it at AKV.?

IF you do a split stay, do you like or would you rather start your vacation at AKV or end it at AKV.?
I’d try to align it with your planned park days at animal kingdom, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios if the longer bus ride to Magic Kingdom bothers you.

We usually end our split stays at AKV. We often stay 14-20 days and find the relaxing vibe of AKV fits our family better towards the end of our stay. We usually travel as a family of 5 so we start off in a studio or 1 bedroom at the beginning of the trip when we are at the parks rope drop to closing. The last week or so of our stay we move to a 2 bedroom at AKV to give ourselves more space and relax more at the resort before heading home.

I've done both in a split stay-AKV before some trips, after some trips. However, given a choice, I prefer to do AKV second. There's more to do right at AKV than at other resorts, so I find it kind of a nice "wind down" hotel. Sleep late-eat breakfast at Sanaa or Boba while watching the animals. I've rushed around to see the parks, so now I'm ready to just chill.

We usually end our split stays at AKV. We often stay 14-20 days and find the relaxing vibe of AKV fits our family better towards the end of our stay. We usually travel as a family of 5 so we start off in a studio or 1 bedroom at the beginning of the trip when we are at the parks rope drop to closing. The last week or so of our stay we move to a 2 bedroom at AKV to give ourselves more space and relax more at the resort before heading home.
I've done both in a split stay-AKV before some trips, after some trips. However, given a choice, I prefer to do AKV second. There's more to do right at AKV than at other resorts, so I find it kind of a nice "wind down" hotel. Sleep late-eat breakfast at Sanaa or Boba while watching the animals. I've rushed around to see the parks, so now I'm ready to just chill.
My thinking is I’m starting my vacation, so I want to relax first, but I also kind of like the idea of relaxing after the 4/5 day hopper madness.
I guess you can’t go wrong either way, I’ll have to try both… for science. ;)

We like AKV at the end as our pace has dropped by then and we try and grab a club level room for last night as our flights are always in the evening and a great place to chill on your last day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter