The Crown Netflix

I must say I was worried about the recasting and especially worried about Tobias Menzies given his character on Outlander but all in all I am quite pleased. I didn't have any trouble with the changes and actually LOVED Tobias Menzies. I even liked him better than Matt Smith. I am a bit disappointed with how they are portraying the Queen Mother in the first few episodes. We made it through episode 5 last night and the Queen Mother has very little screen time and she is always shown eating and making insipid little comments. I liked her much better in the first 2 seasons.

All in all, I'm not liking season 3 as well as I hoped I would. I think this season, so far at least, is focusing more on political intrigue and such rather than the personal drama of the earlier seasons. Maybe there just wasn't quite as much going on personally at this point in her reign?

We will see what the second half of the season brings.

DW is having a hard time not seeing Black Jack Randall every time the new Prince Phillip is on screen. I'm having a hard time seeing Helena Bonham Carter as Princess Margaret. She's a great actress but there's no resemblance at all IMHO.

But I like the show and through 3 episodes I'm enjoying the new season.

I don't like Helena Bonham Carter... but I've never liked her, so I'm trying to keep an open mind about her playing Princess Ann Margaret.

Clair Foy was a better Elizabeth, but I'm waiting for Olivia Colman to draw me in more.
Agree and I think it's because of all the weird characters she has played. Margaret herself was apparently a bit of a handful, so possibly that edgy quality Bonham Carter has will lend realism.
Princess Anne’s actress is so freakish like the real thing. Her voice too. And hair.
The actress is actually quite a bit prettier than Anne IRL. Overall, Queen Elizabeth's off-spring aren't super-attractive and unfortunately, the only Princess seems to have gotten the worst of it. Luckily they have royal blood, privilege and wealth going for them, so I don't feel too bad. :goodvibes

Last edited:
I think Vanessa Kirby was a perfect Margaret. I am not digging Helena as her now, no resemblance what so ever. I do live Olivia as Lilibet though, I think she picked up right where Clair Foy left off. Same mannerisms, inflection, tone, accent....everything.

I am watching now. On season 3. Love Tobia Menzes but he just doesn't fit as Philip. I think Matt Smith was a way more realistic Philip. Coleman as the queen, at first I was bummed (her looks just don't quite match up) but she really is selling it and doing a great job. She is an excellent actress. Helena as Margaret...nope. Digging Ann's and Charles' actors. They are really fitting as their characters. Great show. Has made me cry several times (like Aberfan). I get more clearly why Philip is Philip and why the queen is who she is. Starting to get why Charles is Charles. Very interesting. But I still come to the realization that the royal family just isn't needed and should be done away with. Waste of tax payer monies. JMO!

Also see a correlation between David, Margaret, Charles and now Harry. Not wanting to do their duties and just wanting the perks of being royalty. Now, yes, David was even worse as a Nazi sympathizer. But I am talking about how they wanted to be with who they wanted and not follow the rules of monarchy that gave them all the wealth they so enjoy(ed). The queen followed the rules and did her duties so faithfully and sacrificed a lot. Even Philip was ever dutiful as difficult as that was for him. Good thing there is prince William. He is also the ever dutiful royal.

The Diana depiction is way off. Like some dumb immature cheating girl. Horrible how the producer is depicting her when she is dead and cannot defend herself. And that gangly oaf of a husband (Charles) crushed her and ruined her life. Total self absorbed spoiled brat he was...is. And Camilla never really loved him.

I binged the Crown all day yesterday. It really struck me how young Diana was when she was brought into the 'family'. She was so impressionable and hadn't even been given the opportunity to figure out who she was before she was thrown into the deep end. I also thought Gillian Anderson did a good job as Thatcher. The only thing that really annoys me is that the Queen and Claire Foy have blue eyes while Olivia Colman has brown eyes. She's a great actress though!

Um, you all remember this is fiction based on a true story, right?
The interesting thing is that we all lived through and remember some of this history vividly. The fiction is from the writers, but also from our interpretation of the history. It isn't like watching The Tudors where none of us have direct knowledge of the period, but many have researched it enough to understand how fictional The Tudors was. We internalize and personalize what we know history to be from our "first hand" knowledge through what we've read and seen on the news. We felt that we could relate to Diana. I think that's the difference in this historical fiction piece.

Um, you all remember this is fiction based on a true story, right?
Yes and I am not pleased with some of the liberties this director (writer) is taking. But based on who it is, it is not surprising. If looking at it as a complete fictional story, though, it is very very well done. The 1st (or was it 2nd) episode, when Mountbatten was blown up, was so visually stunning. Just loved it. The acting is so fantastic too.

Last edited:
The Diana depiction is way off. Like some dumb immature cheating girl. Horrible how the producer is depicting her when she is dead and cannot defend herself. And that gangly oaf of a husband (Charles) crushed her and ruined her life. Total self absorbed spoiled brat he was...is. And Camilla never really loved him.

I saw a documentary about the royal family where journalists, royal watchers, and historians that offered commentary about this topic. One in particular described Diana as......not dumb but I believe the quote was "almost comically uneducated." The historian went on to say that her sole distinction in school was winning an award for the best kept guinea pig. Another com j entator described the trauma she experienced during the break up of her parents marriage and that she needed to feel loved 100% of the time which was clearly not what she was getting with Charles.

Diana ended up in the absolute worst situation she could have posSsibley found herself in. It was doomed from the start but i'm also not sure you can say she was totally innocent in how things went down either.

I saw a documentary about the royal family where journalists, royal watchers, and historians that offered commentary about this topic. One in particular described Diana as......not dumb but I believe the quote was "almost comically uneducated." The historian went on to say that her sole distinction in school was winning an award for the best kept guinea pig. Another com j entator described the trauma she experienced during the break up of her parents marriage and that she needed to feel loved 100% of the time which was clearly not what she was getting with Charles.

Diana ended up in the absolute worst situation she could have posSsibley found herself in. It was doomed from the start but i'm also not sure you can say she was totally innocent in how things went down either.
SHe was not at all innocent. The writing was on the wall and she moved ahead anyway. But what young (what about 20) girl would turn away marriage to the future king of England??? Kinda hard to pass on that. Even as icky as that future king is.

SHe was not at all innocent. The writing was on the wall and she moved ahead anyway. But what young (what about 20) girl would turn away marriage to the future king of England??? Kinda hard to pass on that. Even as icky as that future king is.

Right? I do feel bad for her to a certain extent. I think partly she was chosen because she was so innocent and.....blank slate as it were. They could mold her into a proper future queen. I think she walked into it with high hopes but it just wasn't going to play out thecway she wanted. The royal family underestimated her star power which caused issues. But again, it did not have to go down the way it did.

Her private secretary also appears in that documentary saying he tried to counsel her to stop antagonizing the royal family and the press and she agreed as the cameras were literally being set up for the infamous Martin Bashir interview. At that point her secretary resigned because the writing was on the wall. That was a facepalm moment if there ever was one.

I think the documentary I quoted above is on netflix. It was a docuseries called "the Royal house of Windsor" I think.

I haven’t seen all of the current season, and I don’t know anything about the script writer for the show, but he appears to just despise Prince Charles. He’s not a big fan of Margaret thatcher either

Loved it. Gillian Anderson is going to win some awards for sure. The mouse cameo running across the room with Queen Mom waiting for the call of engagement.

The favorite child episode was interesting. How every parent even an “honest one” indeed has a favorite child.

I always figured with Diana and Charles it was a triangle. There was his side, her side, and in the middle was the truth. They were both painted in a bad light. Camilla was somehow in the show was shown as good/warm.

It’s interesting that the Queen is still hanging on making Charles the longest Prince of Wales in History. Perhaps some of the fiction may have guessed some truths? Read that the royals aren’t happy with the show.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter