~The BOT Battalion~ BOTS On The Run

Run until you're tired, then walk until you're bored. Repeat as necessary.

This is pretty much my plan, except I think it may be more like: run until I'm tired, walk until I'm cold. Repeat. Although, I do expect that I will walk A LOT of the last half of the marathon, especially after the sun comes out and it hopefully warms up. My only plan is to finish in under 7 hours, so I don't plan on pushing myself unless that is in danger (or I'm just too cold). What a difference a year of not training makes!

Jen - With all due respect to all our educators out there, yank her out of school for the day! I mean, I know it's not like when I was in school and we were focused on tying shoes and learning the occassional letter here and there but really. What's she going to miss?

Dave - I think the biggest question for you about doing the half unprepared isn't if you would finish feeling decent. It's more about the fact that it will take you a little longer than normal. Can you carry that many GU's???

Lou - As Chester said, Goofy for Kathy and I.

Megan - You'll look pretty cool ripping those pant off. Like an NBA player coming off the bench!

CindyLou - Feel better soon! And I'm thinking there won't be much swimming going on. 60's sounds like a pipe dream at this point.

Howard - Take care of that knee. I hope you get some good news from the doc.

Cam - You take it easy as well, young lady.

Cindy - Maybe Lou could take a quick spin around Philly and see if he can retrieve your robe from whatever homeless person is lucky enough to have it now.

For those of us running the 1/2....are we going to meet somewhere in the a.m.? Or will you all be wearing The Green? Do I just head that way? Will any of you have a portable heater or tent with you? :eek: Can you say "Philly '08"??? Man it's gonna be cold.

AAAHHHHH frozen water stops, the memorites :rolleyes1

It might be hard to find people unless they all bought WISH polar fleece. Picking a meeting spot sounds like a good idea.

Butch and I are in for Goofy too for those keeping count.

Dave: I agree-- just do it. You know you can walk if you need to. Plan to have fun with the race and just get out there, you now you want to. Butch and I are essentially planning to walk the half and then try to run the full the next day.

Just got back from buying hand warmers. They also had body warmers made of the same stuff that you stick onto your clothes-- a bit strange yet also tempting :rolleyes:

Good to see a bunch of the BOTs are running Goofy so I won't be alone. I like the hysteria on the threads about the weather. I guess this will separate the men and women from the boys and girls. Since most of us (minus Chester) live in the frigid northeast or New England I think we will survive. I kind of feel bad for icole as this is her first 1/2 and she has no idea what she's in for when she has to wait 2 hrs in the cold to start. She turns the heated seats in the car all the way up when it's 50.

Got 4 miles in at the gym tonight. Kind of liking the whole gym thing. There's somewhat of a completive atmosphere running next to a bunchy of people. Everybody kind of jacks the speed up and you see who can hang on the longest. Beats running in my basement next to 2 litter boxes.

Leaving for WDW on Thurs. For those that have my cell feel free to give me a buzz anytime in WDW. For those that don't feel free to PM me or just grab it off FB or any number of other sites where it's listed.

Sara - Saw your FB post. Stay positive and looking forward to seeing you this weekend.

Hey Everyone, I just had a blog put up recounting my experience running the half last year. I recorded the segment while running with Matt and Cindy. The audio got edited down alot - so, unfortunately, a lot of the parts where I was talking with Matt and Cindy got cut out. However, I think you get a good sense of last year's race. It brought back some fun memories for me.

http://www.disunplugged.com/2010/01/05/2010-disney-marathon-weekend-preview/

Nice blog Dave. Listening to the audio brought back all of my memories of last year and when you, Cindy and I ran together during the half. You didn't mention when you tripped and did a summersault, though, while trying to eat a gu!

You should definitely run the half again this year.

I forgot about tripping and going head over heels - doing the Chevy Chase prat fall. I guess I didn't get that on audio. It was a lot of fun running together last year. I'm pretty sure I'll run this year. I just need to make sure I don't hurt myself.

Matt - was that you singing "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"?

Nice blog Dave. Listening to the audio brought back all of my memories of last year and when you, Cindy and I ran together during the half. You didn't mention when you tripped and did a summersault, though, while trying to eat a gu!

You should definitely run the half again this year.

Uuuum, didn't she have a full bib available last year too? Maybe the year before as well?
Dave
Um yeah, welllllll. Do you want it? It's yours for the asking.

For those of us running the 1/2....are we going to meet somewhere in the a.m.? Or will you all be wearing The Green? Do I just head that way? Will any of you have a portable heater or tent with you? :eek: Can you say "Philly '08"??? Man it's gonna be cold.
Jodi
Most of the W.I.S.H.ers will start out at the "W" tent in the family reunion area before heading into the port-o-let pre corral area. It's going to be tough to recognize everyone all bundled up. I'll have lime green duct tape on my "tear-away" sweat pants with 2 bundled up kids with me.

Good to see a bunch of the BOTs are running Goofy so I won't be alone. I like the hysteria on the threads about the weather. I guess this will separate the men and women from the boys and girls. Since most of us (minus Chester) live in the frigid northeast or New England I think we will survive. I kind of feel bad for icole as this is her first 1/2 and she has no idea what she's in for when she has to wait 2 hrs in the cold to start. She turns the heated seats in the car all the way up when it's 50.
Lou
Vegas Marathon was mid 30's at the start and probably didn't get much above 40 for the entire race and last week most of the temps during my runs were in the lower 40's, so this year I've actually gotten some cold running prep. Not like my first marathon in 2006 when the temps at the start were in the lower 30's. I'm ready. I just don't know if Chet and Miranda are prepared to deal with the cold. Miranda especially dislikes the cold and will probably be running in her ski gear.

Make sure Nicole has plenty of "throw-away" gear. Too much is better than not enough.

Safe travels to everyone on their way down.

Chester

Dave
Um yeah, welllllll. Do you want it? It's yours for the asking.
Thanks so much for the offer Chester, but think I would hurt myself for sure trying to do a full marathon. However, I'm pretty sure I'll attempt the half on Saturday - unless something really unexpected happens.

Thanks for the support everyone.

Dave - I agree with Judy, how can you NOT do it:confused3? Heck, at this point I'm thinking I'd rather run it than stand outside in the cold for hours cheering y'all on:thumbsup2 I did San Diego RNR with little-to-no training, like zero LR's close to 10 miles, so you can walk it if you have to:banana:

Chester - Thanks again for Tracy's bib last year :love: and please let her know I've paid it forward and have given my 2010 bib to a fellow BOT:cloud9:

Lou - Thanks and ditto:banana: Hopefully you're prepping Nicole as we speak because I'd hate for her to be blindsided with the reality of race morningpopcorn::.

Jen
- I might be picking up those body warmers for me and the girls:thumbsup2 I'm gearing up for a huge load of whining out of them on Sunday morning with it being so cold:laughing: Maybe Jodi can stand with us and tell them "shut up and cheer already:confused3"

Jodi - Are you cheering on Sunday or sleeping inpopcorn::?

Colleen - Have a great race :love:

Travel safe this week everyone:grouphug: We're arriving late Saturday evening and Mike has to catch the Cowboys vs Eagles game:rolleyes1. Sunday morning Lauren, Corinne and I will be on Main Street and at Beach Club screaming our lungs out. Worst case scenario, I'll catch you Sunday at Biergarten:hug:. Someone had better pick a fall marathon for the BOTS to run that night because I need a darn goal to look forward to:sad2:

The BAD news is I have thyroid cancer that has spread to my lymph nodes, hence why I need to lift my spirits with a vacation to WDW:lmao: Actually, it's because I can't have surgery until 2/11 and that's when I was flying to Charleston, SC to catch a Christian concert that I'm now going to catch in Tampa on 1/16 AND because I really need to see WISH'ers to warm my soul:grouphug: I LUV Southwest Airlines for making it that easy for me to change 4 rewards tickets!!

Sara...I have to admit to trolling this thread since I saw your mention of cancer on another thread. I am kinda glad to see it's thyroid cancer because this is what I do IRL: Thyroid Center of Florida If you want to talk this weekend or there's anything I can help with, just let me know (if you have your path report, bring it along). We see more thyroid cancer patients than most of the cancer centers in Florida. Thyroid cancer usually has a good prognosis, even with lymph node involvement.

Sara...I have to admit to trolling this thread since I saw your mention of cancer on another thread. I am kinda glad to see it's thyroid cancer because this is what I do IRL: Thyroid Center of Florida If you want to talk this weekend or there's anything I can help with, just let me know (if you have your path report, bring it along). We see more thyroid cancer patients than most of the cancer centers in Florida. Thyroid cancer usually has a good prognosis, even with lymph node involvement.
Thank you Mel:love: I'm not in until Saturday night but I'm in WDW until 1/16 so I'll catch up with you and I'd really appreciate chatting:hug:. I'll PM you my cell #. I"m waiting for a total thyroidectomy and neck dissection presently:rolleyes1

Well Cindy and I packed up all of our stuff last night. I think we both have one full suitcase just for running stuff + throwaway clothes. No bathrobes this year, but I did find 55 gallon trashbags for us to wear. They are so large, it actually looks like you are wearing a dress made out of trashbags.

I ran yesterday in 20 deg temps and it was great, but I remember last year at Philly how cold I was at the end. I'm guessing that Disney isn't going to have a warming tent with hot chicken soup at the finish. That is going to be rough, if it is still 30 degrees or so at the end of the full.

Good afternoon! :flower3:

To all of those who are there: I am hoping that your warm bodies are heating the place up a bit more than if you weren't there.

To all of those in transit: Safe Travels!

To all those yet to travel: Safe Travels!

Cam, Jenn, Andrew and I fly out tonight at 6:10 PM, we'll be at the airport around 4- 4:30 pm I'm guessing. I am leaving work early and need to pick up Cam around 3:15 pm.

Pretty much everything is packed but several items I'm wearing now to work I need to pack. So, I'll rush home to change, throw a few things into the suitcase and we'll be out of there! :woohoo:

My Doctor's appointment this morning went as hoped, he said I have something going on in there but my running activity this weekend won't make it any worse. He prescribed Motrin 800's for me to take before and after the race to minimize any discomfort from the movement. He wants an MRI once I return and we will get together after that to go over the results. He said that depending on what the findings are, I may have some PT in my future. :sad2:

I am so looking forward to Seeing all of you and to our BOT Friend-Fest on Sunday post-race!

:grouphug:

Howard

The Ark is idling in the side yard - I'm packed and ready to go. Just have to load up the doggies and hit the road.

Tracy will be following about an hour later and Chet and Miranda area heading over tomorrow.

See you all soon.

Chester

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter