• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Straws at drink stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
This makes me so sad that so many people can’t just drink from a glass! For goodness sake how hard is it, when there are so many obvious environmental impacts caused by straws?
A culture obsessed with self, rather than thinking about the bigger picture for the sake of the greater good. :(
I think there are a lot worse things to worry about than straws. I use a reusable cup on the ship with a "permanent" straw. I use straws in the dining rooms and at other places. I'm responsible with them and shouldn't be considered non-environmentally concerned because I use them. Let's chill a little.:)

It just seems like it’s an environmental issue that is so easy to fix - if we just banned straws everywhere I bet in 10 years they wouldn’t be missed. Yes, there are bigger issues, but this is something that if everyone cared enough, it would be one less problem to worry about! :)

It just seems like it’s an environmental issue that is so easy to fix - if we just banned straws everywhere I bet in 10 years they wouldn’t be missed. Yes, there are bigger issues, but this is something that if everyone cared enough, it would be one less problem to worry about! :)
I'm sure I'll never convince you as you won't me. I'll just mention that straws can serve a real purpose too. People who are ill, recovering from injury or illness and are bedridden have a much easier time drinking from a straw. People who have their jaws wired shut or have other jaw problems, get nourishment through a straw. Perhaps a better focus is to work on the problem of littering and the need for more recycling. :confused3
Disengaging now. :)

I like straws, but I wouldn't be devastated if they weren't used. But the idea that people are worried about the environment due to straws while on a message board about CRUISING is frankly hilarious.

Yes I certainly agree there, but why make a bad problem worse? The way plastics get into the ocean is either through runoff, which take a long time, or by blowing into the water. When a huge ship carrying thousands of people is literally surrounded by ocean, and they are being given plastic straws on an open deck, you are just inviting trouble.
There are so many more serious issues with cruising, but this one is so simple to fix that it is frustrating to hear that they are doing nothing about it.

Knowing a number of people with relevant disabilities (MS, CP) I can vouch that people that really need a straw carry straws with them.
Ditto some people that really "like" straws.

It's just as easy to carry a reuseable straw.

The same can be said about opiates. They are a legitimate need for a small number of people, but tons of others want them. Nobody seems to really be complaining that they are illegal for public use though.

I love the reusable straws. We have the stainless steel ones we bought from Amazon and they come with a brush to clean them with. I will never buy plastic straws again and I hate that you cannot recycle straws. We recycle everything we possibly can at our house. Such a waste.

Sorry to link such a graphic video, but the whole "eww germs, I need a straw or I will die" commentary forced me to share what actually dying due to our use of straws looks like. Luckily this guy got help. Thousands of others do not.

THANK YOU. I don’t use straws very often at all, and this video is heart wrenching enough to ban them from my house for good.

Wow....all the issues that the country and the world are facing and people are finding it worth their time to have an extended debate over straws. Who care if people want to drink from a plastic straw, paper straw or no straw at all. Enjoy your drink whatever way you prefer and extend the same courtesy to others.

Wow....all the issues that the country and the world are facing and people are finding it worth their time to have an extended debate over straws. Who care if people want to drink from a plastic straw, paper straw or no straw at all. Enjoy your drink whatever way you prefer and extend the same courtesy to others.

Do you not think people might have a little down time in their day that they can use how they wish, and maybe they wish to use it discussing this issue that could be important to them? Yes there are lots more issues in the world, but discussing this one isn’t taking away or minimising any of the others. Aren’t we all open to learning things that might make the world a better place?

Do you not think people might have a little down time in their day that they can use how they wish, and maybe they wish to use it discussing this issue that could be important to them? Yes there are lots more issues in the world, but discussing this one isn’t taking away or minimising any of the others. Aren’t we all open to learning things that might make the world a better place?
Ironically enough, you seem concerned with how I used 30 seconds of my downtime. :)

I care. I care about the amount of plastic in the oceans and I care about the wildlife affected by it. I care about a lot of issues in this world. Just because you don't care about the effect plastic straws have on wildlife doesn't mean that no one else can. Maybe you need to watch the turtle video again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter