Straws at drink stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I want a soda I want a soda, thanks. My dentist told me to use a straw and I'll follow his advice on that. Anyway, rinsing with water after each swallow is not only ineffective, it would actually incur more waste, because it would require another cup...
How does drinking with a straw help your teeth? Doesn't the sugar still get in all of your mouth? Did your dentist explain any more about it?

How does drinking with a straw help your teeth? Doesn't the sugar still get in all of your mouth? Did your dentist explain any more about it?
It seems to me that it would actually cause more corrosion in the front teeth, as the straw would focus the soda on them. In either case, if you are drinking so much soda that your dentist is trying to help you find ways to have it stop decaying your teeth, my non medical recommendation is to cut back on the soda intake.

It seems to me that it would actually cause more corrosion in the front teeth, as the straw would focus the soda on them. In either case, if you are drinking so much soda that your dentist is trying to help you find ways to have it stop decaying your teeth, my non medical recommendation is to cut back on the soda intake.
I don't know how you suck on a straw, but when I do, the open end of the straw is past my front teeth toward the back of my mouth. And I swallow it directly down. It certainly means that less soda is being swished around my teeth using a straw.

I don't know how you suck on a straw, but when I do, the open end of the straw is past my front teeth toward the back of my mouth. And I swallow it directly down. It certainly means that less soda is being swished around my teeth using a straw.

With that strategy, though, you are consuming hundreds of empty calories in a single drink without even enjoying the flavor of it.

I have a solution that works for everyone. If you want to drink with a straw, drink with a straw. If you want to drink directly from a cup, drink directly from a cup.

Right, but that doesn't work for everyone. If I want to do heroin, it would be awesome if people just left me alone to do it. But society has realized there are consequences for allowing people to freely do that. While straws are not heroin, their collective use by people has an impact on the rest of the world, regardless of who uses it.
The fish that I eat has micoplastics in it, and it's not like I had a choice in that matter. I didn't get to say "yeah, but I didn't use any straws, so I should get the clean fish." Someone else's mess got into my food.

Right, but that doesn't work for everyone. If I want to do heroin, it would be awesome if people just left me alone to do it. But society has realized there are consequences for allowing people to freely do that. While straws are not heroin, their collective use by people has an impact on the rest of the world, regardless of who uses it.
The fish that I eat has micoplastics in it, and it's not like I had a choice in that matter. I didn't get to say "yeah, but I didn't use any straws, so I should get the clean fish." Someone else's mess got into my food.
Comparing straws to heroin? R O F L ! ! ! !

Comparing straws to heroin? R O F L ! ! ! !

An extreme example, yes, but I think you get the comparison. No man is an island and all of our collective decisions have an impact on one another.
For that matter, heroin users actually have less of an impact on the purity of my seafood than straw users do.

An extreme example, yes, but I think you get the comparison. No man is an island and all of our collective decisions have an impact on one another.
For that matter, heroin users actually have less of an impact on the purity of my seafood than straw users do.
So you're more concerned about the purity of your filet-o-fish than you are about the opioid epidemic in this country? Got it!

So you're more concerned about the purity of your filet-o-fish than you are about the opioid epidemic in this country? Got it!

No I did not at all say that. I clearly stated that heroin is illegal for good reason. One thing being bad in no way makes another good.

No I did not at all say that. I clearly stated that heroin is illegal for good reason. One thing being bad in no way makes another good.
Oh, ok. You seem more preoccupied with whether or not someone enjoys their drink with a straw. Like I said...if you don't want to drink with a straw, by all means, don't. If others happen to enjoy a drink with a straw, they shouldn't have to make excuses about their teeth or calories to appease people who want to push their views on others.

With that strategy, though, you are consuming hundreds of empty calories in a single drink without even enjoying the flavor of it.
The straw keeps the soda off the front teeth, not the tongue. I haven't drunk a soda without a straw in many years, but I can still taste them, I assure you. I also don't drink full-sugar sodas, btw, so calories are a non-issue.

Oh, ok. You seem more preoccupied with whether or not someone enjoys their drink with a straw. Like I said...if you don't want to drink with a straw, by all means, don't. If others happen to enjoy a drink with a straw, they shouldn't have to make excuses about their teeth or calories to appease people who want to push their views on others.

I don't think you're fully comprehending what the use of straws is doing to the international food supply. I could care less if someone smokes, drinks, drinks soda, etc, as long as their decisions affect only them and their money. Single use plastics affect us all equally, though, regardless of who is using them. Check out 5gyers if you are not aware of the impact that they are having.

I personally thought to myself "Why are you drinking something so bad for your teeth in the first place?"
On that note, no one should ever again eat ice cream, or drink coffee, or drink alcohol, etc.

This thread is getting ridiculous. I'm out of here. :car:

On that note, no one should ever again eat ice cream, or drink coffee, or drink alcohol, etc.

Well everything is good in moderation, but when medical assistance and advice is needed, yes, people should then cut back for their own good.

I don't think you're fully comprehending what the use of straws is doing to the international food supply. I could care less if someone smokes, drinks, drinks soda, etc, as long as their decisions affect only them and their money. Single use plastics affect us all equally, though, regardless of who is using them. Check out 5gyers if you are not aware of the impact that they are having.
When I'm done with my straws, I dispose of them properly. If in spite of that, they still find their way into the food supply, then that's not my problem. My decision to drive a Dodge Challenger when I could be driving a Prius affects the environment as well...did I buy the wrong car? I live in Florida and keep my thermostat set as low as 74? Are you going to tell me to set it higher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter