slo’s TUESDAY 9/26 poll - Your Oldest Clothing Item

How old is the oldest clothing item you still wear today?

• 1 - 5 years

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • 6 - 10 years

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • 11 - 15 years

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • 16 - 20 years

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • 21 - 25 years

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • 26 - 30 years

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • 31 - 35 years

• 36 - 40 years

• 41 - 45 years

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • 46 years or more

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
As I was putting away some clothes, I was looking at my clothes and realized I really have a big array of older clothes to newer clothes. I do donate items every year to prevent my closet from busting at the seams - LOL!
So I ask today…..

How old is the oldest clothing item you still wear today?

*Please post what it is - pictures are fun for this if possible.
*Stay tuned for tomorrow - we’ll discuss your newest clothing item
*No “other” today because everyone has an oldest clothing item

For Me…..My oldest clothing item is up in the attic, so I can’t take a picture of that now. It’s a Christmas sweatshirt that someone gave me when I was in middle school (about 40 years ago). People always say how they can’t believe it’s in such great condition, and then I say…I wear it once a year so it’s easy for it to stay nice - LOL!

The runner ups are two items I do wear more than once a year. The sweatshirt below - my DH bought this for me in 1990 when he went on vacation with his family. The T-Shirt below - I bought for myself in 1993 when DH and I went to US, and it was the trip my DH proposed to me. I don’t wear the T-Shirt out in public anymore - it looks pretty rough, but I do wear it under sweatshirts for extra warmth when it’s cold outside.

IMG_1969.jpeg

Last edited:
I just found a an old T-shirt from high school a few weeks ago - from the yearbook staff I was on. I must have put it away thinking I would do one of those T-shirt quilts or something, but I never did, so it's still in great shape! I've worn it twice since I found it. :goodvibes

I had my wedding dress preserved in a big box with special paper so best guess would be this.

It is possible I still have my own baby Baptism dress somewhere though, so if so then it would definitely win.
I did the same thing with my wedding dress ::yes::

I also have my Baptism dress - both my girls wore it for their Baptism :goodvibes

I have a few rock T-shirts from the late 70s. Queen, Bowie, Rush.

They no longer fit. Somehow they shrunk over the decades. ;)

The oldest that still fits is from the 1992 NCAA basketball Final Four in Minneapolis. I bought a XXL to wear over the sweatshirt I was already had on. It’s still nice and loose fitting.

Last edited:
I’ve got a lot of really old items and they’re mostly Disney sweatshirts or Disney jackets I have a few sweaters not DISNEY I know I have one that’s at least 40+ years old it’s now banned from public wearing because it’s on held together with a wing and a prayer but I still wear it around the house and every couple months I sew it up because it gets holes in it and it’s still you know a really nice sweater that I didn’t pay hardly anything for wish I could find another one like it
I’ll say they just don’t make clothes like they used to
I’ve got some lounge shorts that I know are at least 30 years old I still wear them
I have a Christmas sweater that I know for a fact is at least 35 years old I wish you could buy sweaters like that now I mean they have Christmas sweaters but this one’s a totally different league it was long before the ugly Christmas sweater and it’s an ugly Christmas sweater but I love it
Yeah try buying a sweatshirt these days and seeing if it will last 30 years most won’t
As I’m sitting here typing this I looked down and noticed somewhere in a sweatshirt that was handed down to me so it’s at least 30 years old🤣🤣🤣 it’s starting to rot but I’ll wear it until it falls apart because it’s comfy
It’s not my pajama sweatshirt
Finally I have some bib overalls there shorts that I have had for probably 37 years there now my outdoor working shorts or doing things around the house but I still wear them because they’re still in great shape there just a little too big for me but why get rid of them??

Reactions: slo

I voted 46 plus but then you said, still wear today. I have some shirts I wore 50 years ago, but unfortunately, I'd need two of them sown together to fit me today. Thank's slo for depressing me. 🤣

But I do have some sweaters/ robes that are decades old that still use from time to time.

I have a Disney jacket and a Disney sweatshirt that I still wear today. I think I bought them both in the late 1990's. The jacket is great because it is waterproof, has a hood and perfect for weather in the 50's to high 40's. When you live in the Midwest you have to have coats for all weather conditions. :)

I’m gonna say my Winnie the Pooh sweatshirt. It’s at least 30+ years old as my dh got it for me while we were still living in NY. I still wear this around the house. I have older clothing that I don’t wear anymore.

3EE1FB49-68FE-4779-B044-D6B3401CCBEA.jpeg

I have a sweater my dad bought me when I was 13, I'm 56 now. It's put away with winter clothes but I still wear it a few times a year. My daughter had also worn it. My parents always bought clothes for us to grow into...so it was big then and still a little bit now but I love it. My mom was mad he bought it for me as it was expensive back the. It's the only gift he ever got me on his own. I also have several good pieces that are 20+ years old that I wear regularly for work. Leather skirts, jackets, etc.

A lot of my clothes are old.
I have a lot of Disney tee shirts that have to be 25-30 years old. I wear them often.

You said that you wear or it would be my prom dress........wedding dress.
And oldest baptism dress.

I've got a 28 year old pair of gray sweat shorts that I wear pretty frequently in the summer. In the evening, I wear sweats and a T-shirt, so when it's super hot, I bust out this pair of shorts. I bought them when I was in college. I remember lounging around the sorority house in them. Lol. Anyway, they are getting very threadbare, but I love them.....

Oldest I wear, probably a few casual shirts msybe 25 years or so.

The oldest I have is a beater jacket I used to wear while working on my cars in my teens, laying on the garage floor under the csrs, climbing around under the hood, under the dash. Those days are long gone. It is pretty grimey. I don't wear it though. It's about 65 years old.

I think I'm wearing it today! I have some work to do in the shop @ work so I dressed in my ratty long sleeve stained up old t-shirt. It's a long sleeve yellow T-shirt from Nippers on Great Guana Cay. I'd have tossed it long ago but it's the last T-shirt I have from Guana pre-Dorian, so I'm a little sentimental.

I did have my wedding dress up until about 10 years ago (married 30 years) but I donated it to a lady who made christening gowns / casket blankets for babies.

I have a LOT that fall into the 10 - 20 year range that I actually still wear. Blouses, shirts and cardigans mostly, along with a least a dozen special-occasion dresses that are simple and elegant. The basic stuff I wear fairly often and after losing a bunch of weight last year, a whole ‘nother size section in my closet opened back up as options. :laughing:

The oldest things I can think of that are in my possession are my dad's suede coat from the early 1970s and my grandmother's mink that was either late 1950s or early 1960s. I don't wear either of them, but I have them. As for things I do wear, I have a number of sweaters from the 1980s that are my go-to garments on cold softball mornings and ski trips. It's amazing how well they've held up over the years.

1695734354100.png

That I currently wear 1-5 years. Weight gain & weight loss nothing older fits.

I do have a pair of acid washed jeans from 1989 that I had when I got pregnant with my oldest. I’ve never gotten my weight down to be able to wear them again. Unlikely I will either. I should probably get rid of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter