slo’s TUESDAY 9/26 poll - Your Oldest Clothing Item

How old is the oldest clothing item you still wear today?

• 1 - 5 years

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • 6 - 10 years

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • 11 - 15 years

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • 16 - 20 years

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • 21 - 25 years

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • 26 - 30 years

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • 31 - 35 years

• 36 - 40 years

• 41 - 45 years

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • 46 years or more

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
I have some really old stuff, but one item I wear regularly is 24 years old. On a WDW trip in 1999 I bought a sweatshirt with "2000" emblazoned on it with Mickey strutting out of one of the "Os." The sweatshirt got put away and was never worn until a few years ago when I discovered it in a pile of clothes. It looked brand new, and still looks really good.

Probably a hat. I tend to keep those so it is entirely possible that I have a hat that is over 40 years old. Might have some other clothing as well. I know I have stuff in boxes I have not looked at in years.

Great question, dear Slo:hug:Dad has some older clothing than I do. I do, just remembered, still have a very old threadbare long sleeve 👕of his that I used to wear as a pajama top in cooler weather. My oldest piece of clothing are probably my Basic Editions 🧦from Kmart. How I miss (dad does, too) Kmart! These socks were especially wonderful.

I have a few 20-year old Foxcroft (Nordstrom) boyfriend shirts. They're the only shirts I've been able to wear, wear, wear, and not permanently stain. I don't get it. At the time, I paid $35 and thought it was exorbitant (now they're over $100). But I still get compliments and they're still comfortable. With no stains. And they're truly no-iron.

I've got a multi-colored striped one and a hot pink one. And another multi-colored striped one that I bought on eBay.

I have an Express sweatshirt from the 90s that I wear all the time. It amazes me that it hasn't shown much wear when all my others start wearing away in multiple places. Only aging on this sweatshirt is the logo.

Well, I have a number of work related Tee shirts given out for specific events that have the actual date on them, and one is from 1989. And we had a "crackdown" at the job I was working at in 1987 saying we had to wear slacks not blue jeans, so those slacks are just over 35 years old. And I bet some of my blue jeans date to then.
My wife had banned me from getting new clothing years ago. She did give in and let me buy 2 new pairs of jeans because I had lost weight and the ones I had were all baggy. But to be honest, I suspect I could go the rest of my life and not wear out the clothes I have. And I have NEVER been a clothes horse. I hate buying clothing, so it was always on my Christmas list. My son and DIL gave me a Kohls gift card for Christmas 2020, and I bought three shirts, that is the last clothing, with the two pairs of jeans that I have purchased in probably 5 years. When we retired, my wife had about 14 work outfits and she gave 12 of them to Goodwill.

I voted 31-35 years, as I am sure I have a long black skirt and top I wore at Christmas after DS was born in 1992. I still sometimes wear it. I also have a nice black dress from around that time. Anything older than that is gone because I gained a lot of weight with him. I rarely need dressy clothes any more, so I keep using old ones. Most of my dresses and skirts are 20+ years old, I have them in a variety of sizes! My oldest Disney shirt is from our first WDW trip in 1998.

Reactions: slo
Dangit SLO - Way to make us all feel old.
I had to think - I am not known for refreshing my wardrobe much - DW gives me a hard time about it a lot. I also don't think things like concert Ts that you keep for nostalgia but never wear count. I do have a sweatshirt I wear on a pretty regular basis that I think fits the bill here - and I got it free. I bought a Santa Cruz snowboard in my 20s. Santa Cruz sent me a questionnaire about it one year - I responded, love the board, thought it was too expensive (don't tell them I didn't pay retail and it would have been a lot more now if I had), they responded by sending me a pair of goggles - I wore them out. They sent me a questionnaire again the next year - I sent the same response, they sent me a hoodie. I still wear it to this day. I don't think Santa Cruz even makes snowboards anymore.

Edit, Oh wait, they do - still a bit pricey and a shorter length than I would like;

https://nhsskatedirect.com/collections/santa-cruz-snowboards-and-bindings

Last edited:
Reactions: slo
I have a t-shirt I made to wear on one of our Sisters Trips in December 2007. My sister had a matching one....yes, we're the 'matchy-matchy' people you see in the parks, down to our matching ear headbands. I don't know if my sister still has hers (probably not) but I still wear mine to sleep in because it's a bit ratty now.

The oldest item of clothing I own, if it counts as an item, is the little pearl crown my mother wore on her wedding day in 1965.

The oldest that still fits is from the 1992 NCAA basketball Final Four in Minneapolis. I bought a XXL to wear over the sweatshirt I was already had on. It’s still nice and loose fitting.
We were avid college hoops fans then (GO SYRACUSE!). I remember that tournament, but especially the East regionals when, with about 2 seconds left on the clock, Grant Hill threw the ball practically the length of the court to Christian Laettner, who dribbled once and sunk the basket at the buzzer. AWESOME! Thanks for the memories!

I have a scrub top that I bought in the late 90's that I still wear for work. I have a few things in the 15 to 20 range too

I have had to get rid of all my old clothes recently so I don't have much left that is not new- I lost 86 pounds in the past 6 months so I am buying a few new things each size until I reach where I want to be then will buy whole new wardrobe.

I think mine is a t-shirt from my first concert in 2009. That's also around the time I stopped really growing, so anything before that wouldn't fit anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter