Site inspections at River Country?

Considering the height of Riviera and proximity to CBR I think Riviera will unfortunately set a precedent of a different themed resort viewable from a different resort.

On one of the Dis Unplugged podcasts recently it was discussed that line of sight seems less emphasized than in the past specifically to seeing gondolas behind France in Epcot). I'm beginning to agree.

Project 89? The first DVC was selected in 1989 and announced in early 1990 (I think!). '89 was an important year for DVC. If really wanting to go off the "deep end," maybe the project, if DVC, will be something that "reimagines" DVC like a rebirth. Or just a nod to DVC (arguably) turning 30 next year when the project is announced, if going forward.

Speculating is way more fun than reacting to announced news. :D

Project 89? The first DVC was selected in 1989 and announced in early 1990 (I think!). '89 was an important year for DVC. If really wanting to go off the "deep end," maybe the project, if DVC, will be something that "reimagines" DVC like a rebirth. Or just a nod to DVC (arguably) turning 30 next year when the project is announced, if going forward.

Speculating is way more fun than reacting to announced news. :D
Interesting possible connection!

Looking at that soils report building anything of any significant size in that area is going to get expensive in a hurry. It sounds like they may be going to create a large stockpile of materials to compress the soil over a period of time. I've seen it done in the past when you have very poor ground conditions. The extra weight of the stockpiles compress the existing soils to make them firmer and more suitable for building. That's still not going allow you to build a high-rise but would allow you to build something along the lines of WL.

As a DVC member I’m super excited for another possible DVC resort! Wilderness Lodge is one of my favorite DVC resorts so if the theming has a similar feel and coziness to it, it would be a winner.

This one is still a bit of a head scratcher.

What are the compelling reasons to build in this spot?
-River country is an eyesore, so tearing it down to build a new is a positive.
-Likely already has utilities to the area.
-It's already waterfront
-Services already exist in the area with Fort Wilderness, and to a certain extent wilderness lodge
-Already close to existing DVC property, if River country were included in Wilderness lodge complex, it would still be smaller than Riviera/CBR complex.

Reasons not to put a resort here?
-Soil makes it unfavorable to have a large scale building on site($$$)
-Limited on theme, do to other resorts in close proximity.
-Is the campground counter to the image of DVC.
-Tough area for transportation, but not insurmountable.

I guess this comes down to a couple of things.
-Why is this the best place to build new lodging?
-Could this be something other than lodging?

I'd love for them to build a bridge to the Island as part of this build, even if it means the boats have to go around, or better yet dock at the bridge.

This one is still a bit of a head scratcher.

What are the compelling reasons to build in this spot?
-River country is an eyesore, so tearing it down to build a new is a positive.
-Likely already has utilities to the area.
-It's already waterfront
-Services already exist in the area with Fort Wilderness, and to a certain extent wilderness lodge
-Already close to existing DVC property, if River country were included in Wilderness lodge complex, it would still be smaller than Riviera/CBR complex.

Reasons not to put a resort here?
-Soil makes it unfavorable to have a large scale building on site($$$)
-Limited on theme, do to other resorts in close proximity.
-Is the campground counter to the image of DVC.
-Tough area for transportation, but not insurmountable.

I guess this comes down to a couple of things.
-Why is this the best place to build new lodging?
-Could this be something other than lodging?

I'd love for them to build a bridge to the Island as part of this build, even if it means the boats have to go around, or better yet dock at the bridge.
I think the biggest reason is the prime real estate. You’re close to the Magic Kingdom which is a huge selling point for a resort.

I think the biggest reason is the prime real estate. You’re close to the Magic Kingdom which is a huge selling point for a resort.
It's very true.
Just wonder how bad the land is to build on between the transport center and contemporary, the far side of contemporary, and the space between the MK and Grand Floridian? I know they aren't favorable to build on, but are they worse than this spot? I would think if you wanted to build something cool and new, those are the spots you would target. Project 89 feels more like an add on to Wilderness lodge/Ft Wilderness. If the soil isn't great for large scale building, it might be just fine for more bungalows and a services building.

It's very true.
Just wonder how bad the land is to build on between the transport center and contemporary, the far side of contemporary, and the space between the MK and Grand Floridian? I know they aren't favorable to build on, but are they worse than this spot? I would think if you wanted to build something cool and new, those are the spots you would target. Project 89 feels more like an add on to Wilderness lodge/Ft Wilderness. If the soil isn't great for large scale building, it might be just fine for more bungalows and a services building.
I would think if that spot was suitable they would have built in it by now.

This spot at least has been built on already and like you said the clean up of river country with a new resort could be a win win for Disney.

I am personally hoping this makes transportation to Fort Wilderness better also. We really enjoyed staying there, but getting a bus from there to parks and back was a major pain. I am hoping with a new resort/DVC more transportation opportunities will happen.

There was a reason river country closed in the first place. Somehow I doubt something similar would go back in. It would have to be something with a totally different concept.

Yeah. There is a 0% chance they are building a water park. Now they might build an enhanced water feature as a throwback to the River Country days at a new DVC in the location, but it won't be a general admittance water park. Maybe just a bigger pool with more amenities, maybe a lazy river, and a big slide.

But the reasons why River Country closed weren't to do with the location, it was to do with the concept. Disney had simply outgrown it. In the last few years it was so packed it was uncomfortable. The attractions had to be giving the lawyers fits, as they were much more risky than Disney's other more controlled water parks. The use of lake water, which Florida law was making impractical if not illegal, was also a big problem. River Country was great. I have fond memories and I wish they had converted that area to a FW/WL focused play area, but that was also one of those 0% ideas. River Country was just past it's time in execution, concept, and use, and the drop in visitors following 9/11 was simply the straw that gave Disney a closing date. It was going to happen regardless.

Hmm new transportation would be nice. Lol even though it would never happen lets have a people mover system run from MK to the new resort. That would be a great throw back to classic Disney and cheaper then lets say buying a bunch of new or bigger boats that you have to staff. I know it would be crazy but I love to dream

Yeah. There is a 0% chance they are building a water park. Now they might build an enhanced water feature as a throwback to the River Country days at a new DVC in the location, but it won't be a general admittance water park. Maybe just a bigger pool with more amenities, maybe a lazy river, and a big slide.

But the reasons why River Country closed weren't to do with the location, it was to do with the concept. Disney had simply outgrown it. In the last few years it was so packed it was uncomfortable. The attractions had to be giving the lawyers fits, as they were much more risky than Disney's other more controlled water parks. The use of lake water, which Florida law was making impractical if not illegal, was also a big problem. River Country was great. I have fond memories and I wish they had converted that area to a FW/WL focused play area, but that was also one of those 0% ideas. River Country was just past it's time in execution, concept, and use, and the drop in visitors following 9/11 was simply the straw that gave Disney a closing date. It was going to happen regardless.

Glad we got to use it while it was still there. As for it's overuse well like stormalong bay at BC maybe they should have restricted it to FW and WL.

Glad we got to use it while it was still there. As for it's overuse well like stormalong bay at BC maybe they should have restricted it to FW and WL.
Maybe. But that wouldn't have solved the lake water issue or the execution. Some of those slides hurt. Others were just too... physical? Or independent? I'm not sure how to describe them but they weren't sit and experience type things that Disney targets. They were more risky, dangerous type things and I just don't see them having lasted 20 more years.

Maybe. But that wouldn't have solved the lake water issue or the execution. Some of those slides hurt. Others were just too... physical? Or independent? I'm not sure how to describe them but they weren't sit and experience type things that Disney targets. They were more risky, dangerous type things and I just don't see them having lasted 20 more years.

It was a pretty pre litigous park, wasn't it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter