silver day pricing

babyruth

for the first time in forever
How important do you think opening day pricing is for Silver members? I have always booked opening day. We missed on sale day while we were sailing last (I really miss the onboard DCL salespeople) so I skipped booking until this round. But now I'm not so sure I'm ready to book for 2 years away. We are going to have a lot of family changes by then. I just wonder if I will be kicking myself. We do have a placeholder we have to use by April 2026.

DCL prices only go up. How quickly they go up is going to be determined by the popularity of the sailing. As rooms sell the price increases for that category.

We booked a cruise that happened to be very popular. The price has gone up significantly.

If you can afford the deposit without interest charges, I’d do it (if it’s not a routine Wish cruise, or any of the school breaks or holidays).

You know about hindsight and should have done it.

I also wanted to add, So I just looked at my cruise. I booked it maybe 6 months ago, so most certainly not on opening day but in the 6 months its been my room with 3 guests has increased by $1,000 to book the same category/same area of the ship room/same number of guests. My sailing is an off season sailing so not a super popular one.

I think I booked within a week or so of the opening day for silver with a placeholder for our august 2025 cruise and the price had gone up about a grand....but when I looked at it earlier this week, the price for the room type is more or less around what it was back then? maybe it's gone up by about 500 or so. And it has VGT rates available.

I'd probably set a max price (undiscounted) that I was willing to pay and go from there, if it looks like it's going to cross the threshold then book.

I agree that if you can afford to tie up the funds for the deposit, you're better off booking now since you can get a full refund if you change your mind (unless you book a concierge room, which has a non-refundable deposit). Some cruises have price increases and some don't.

If you book using your placeholder and decide not to keep the cruise, you should change to a different date (leaving before the placeholder expires) rather than cancelling, since you will lose the 10% savings if you cancel.

Most of the time the GT rates end up being better than the 10% off so I wound not worry about booking two years out. Chances are you will cancel. I honestly think most people that book that far in advance end up changing or canceling. There's no way of predicting the future.

Most of the time the GT rates end up being better than the 10% off so I wound not worry about booking two years out. Chances are you will cancel. I honestly think most people that book that far in advance end up changing or canceling. There's no way of predicting the future.

I would never book a GT rate. For me the small savings is not worth a random room assigned to me that is the left over after the best rooms have been picked by astute travelers that know room location matters. I value my total experience on board more than any ‘savings.’ Part of the fun for me is doing the research and picking the room that fits my requirements. If that means I have to make a change in the future due to unforeseen circumstances, so be it, I don’t lose money. My vacation time is worth more than a roll of the dice. Maybe that’s just me, I don’t presume to speak for others.

I would never book a GT rate. For me the small savings is not worth a random room assigned to me that is the left over after the best rooms have been picked by astute travelers that know room location matters. I value my total experience on board more than any ‘savings.’ Part of the fun for me is doing the research and picking the room that fits my requirements. If that means I have to make a change in the future due to unforeseen circumstances, so be it, I don’t lose money. My vacation time is worth more than a roll of the dice. Maybe that’s just me, I don’t presume to speak for others.
Small savings?

As the cruise date approaches and the ship has plenty of rooms available, the VGT rate of 25% off, is substantially less than booking at say the 6 month mark.

We have saved thousands of dollars and still been guaranteed a veranda stateroom.

Granted, choosing the exact stateroom has its perks…

But, for example, is that worth $2400?

DCL prices only go up. How quickly they go up is going to be determined by the popularity of the sailing. As rooms sell the price increases for that category.
DCL prices only go up, until the cruise 🚢 is 45 days away with hundreds of staterooms still available 😉

4 day wish cruises with VGT rates are over 30% down in price from the peak

Small savings?

As the cruise date approaches and the ship has plenty of rooms available, the VGT rate of 25% off, is substantially less than booking at say the 6 month mark.

We have saved thousands of dollars and still been guaranteed a veranda stateroom.

Granted, choosing the exact stateroom has its perks…

But, for example, is that worth $2400?

What is the denominator? but short answer is... YES.

you left out detail, I left out details, and I know in today's world everyone insists they are right and this is the best way and everyone else is idiots. but I'm old and still believe there is no right or wrong answer on how people chose how to spend their vacation dollars. Some people like getting bargains and fret over every nickel and get excited if they save some. saving money seems to be their entertainment. Some people just want to relax and treat themselves, budgeting is for the rest of the year, they dont want a 90% vacation, they want a 100% vacation and are willing to pay for it. Guess which group I am in?

but the discussion is on booking on opening day versus the end ... people point out Disney prices rarely go down and usually go up, but there are people that don't want to tie up their deposit money and insist you can get deals at the end, the earlier figure quoted was 10%... so the logic is, if you are willing to accept whatever deal you can find, on whatever cruise has availability, you might get 10%, or even you say 25% off, so not saving money by booking early. To which I replied and stand firm on FOR ME, thats not a vacation, I like to plan. I am picky on what cabin I get, a good view and location is part of my enjoyment... and yes I am willing to pay for that. You say, is that worth $2400? I reply, I would rather spend 9600 and get the itinerary I want, the cruise I want, the cabin I want, the view I want, then waste $7200 on whatever itinerary is on sale at the moment, with whatever cabin with the crappy view that is left over the pickings, at whatever time slot is available. That sounds like zero fun to me. So is that saving $2400? Or wasting $7200. I'd say wasting $7200. YMMV.

And, btw, I doubt seriously your 25%. I do from time to time feel spontaneous and look to see if there are any deals, there are rarely any that interest me. Maybe others are less picky. And 25% off what? The rate when it was first published, or last published? Because I bet it's last published. And prices went up. I booked on opening day an alaskan cruise next summer and it's only been 3 months... and guess what? The price has gone UP 5% already. And there is exactly ONE cabin left that is equivalent to mine. Whats the odds thats going to be left there in 11 months and 25% off. Want to make a bet? smiles. I do like winning bets. They fund my splurges. Sorry if it is against the rules to say that.

It's not just about chosing the stateroom, but everything else that goes with it. That might be a perk to you, but thats my vacation to me.

No one is right. No one is wrong. Hopefully reading my perspective has helped.

it is a lot to think about to be sure. I'm definitely used to planning early as a DVC member and DCL fan I'm just having a hard time with this, this time. I think it is a combination of not being over the moon for any itinerary and having a couple other trips in the meantime. Maybe it just isn't meant to be! I've been reading the deals released and I so wish last minute travel was a thing we could do. Sigh. Maybe in retirement :teleport:

I also have experienced regret waiting on a date I was unsure of. You can always move the money to the new date if needed and lose out on the savings but keep your deposit all the same.
Had to do that and pay $500 more to go a week later after only 2 months because DD had a testing date rescheduled.

How important do you think opening day pricing is for Silver members? I have always booked opening day. We missed on sale day while we were sailing last (I really miss the onboard DCL salespeople) so I skipped booking until this round. But now I'm not so sure I'm ready to book for 2 years away. We are going to have a lot of family changes by then. I just wonder if I will be kicking myself. We do have a placeholder we have to use by April 2026.
Never hurts to book. You can always cancel or move it as you get closer to sailing before paid in full.

What is the denominator? but short answer is... YES.

you left out detail, I left out details, and I know in today's world everyone insists they are right and this is the best way and everyone else is idiots. but I'm old and still believe there is no right or wrong answer on how people chose how to spend their vacation dollars. Some people like getting bargains and fret over every nickel and get excited if they save some. saving money seems to be their entertainment. Some people just want to relax and treat themselves, budgeting is for the rest of the year, they dont want a 90% vacation, they want a 100% vacation and are willing to pay for it. Guess which group I am in?

but the discussion is on booking on opening day versus the end ... people point out Disney prices rarely go down and usually go up, but there are people that don't want to tie up their deposit money and insist you can get deals at the end, the earlier figure quoted was 10%... so the logic is, if you are willing to accept whatever deal you can find, on whatever cruise has availability, you might get 10%, or even you say 25% off, so not saving money by booking early. To which I replied and stand firm on FOR ME, thats not a vacation, I like to plan. I am picky on what cabin I get, a good view and location is part of my enjoyment... and yes I am willing to pay for that. You say, is that worth $2400? I reply, I would rather spend 9600 and get the itinerary I want, the cruise I want, the cabin I want, the view I want, then waste $7200 on whatever itinerary is on sale at the moment, with whatever cabin with the crappy view that is left over the pickings, at whatever time slot is available. That sounds like zero fun to me. So is that saving $2400? Or wasting $7200. I'd say wasting $7200. YMMV.

And, btw, I doubt seriously your 25%. I do from time to time feel spontaneous and look to see if there are any deals, there are rarely any that interest me. Maybe others are less picky. And 25% off what? The rate when it was first published, or last published? Because I bet it's last published. And prices went up. I booked on opening day an alaskan cruise next summer and it's only been 3 months... and guess what? The price has gone UP 5% already. And there is exactly ONE cabin left that is equivalent to mine. Whats the odds thats going to be left there in 11 months and 25% off. Want to make a bet? smiles. I do like winning bets. They fund my splurges. Sorry if it is against the rules to say that.

It's not just about chosing the stateroom, but everything else that goes with it. That might be a perk to you, but thats my vacation to me.

No one is right. No one is wrong. Hopefully reading my perspective has helped.
We were booked on the 11 night Mediterranean last summer in one of the extended aft balcony cabins. Disney had crazy discounts on this cruise way before paid in full date. My husband wanted to cancel and rebook to save the money. I did not want to lose the extended balcony and we were already getting 50% off due to cancelled Wish cruises. The money saved because of the discount was not enough to sway me. If we did not have the 50% off it would have been hard to justify the extra money for the balcony. My husband constantly talks about that balcony. I have been nervous try go GTY as I am a light sleeper, and have figured out where we really want to stay on our cruises. Our very first cruise was a discounted rate that they do not even offer any more. We had never cruised before, so we felt lucky to go on one. We lucked out and got upgraded to oceanview.

The cruises I have been following the past 2 years did/do have a 20-25% discount. From the initial fare, as their price didn’t increase. To me it is worth it, I don’t care much about what stateroom I receive anyway.

That said I would just book a future cruise as you can change or cancel free of charge anyway, so why not.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter