Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Return to Queue

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • OTHER

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Other Accommodations

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm just curious. As you shared in your original post that he has been getting approved for DAS for the last 13 years, Disney never asked for a diagnosis as they can't in the US. Didn't you go through this before where you did the talking and explained his needs, and he was there to take his picture. Or was your last visit a long time ago?
The rules recently changed, but not the procedure.

For what it is worth, I got my official diagnosis for ASD today (40F), and I really wish that I knew in my teenage years and my twenties what I know now. It would't have solved all my problems, but I could have handled things differently and understood things better, understood myself better. You say your kid is smart, he might already know.
Congrats Karin - getting that affirmation and finally knowing makes a huge difference. We're the same age (1984) - I got mine at age 32, but had suspected for quite a few years before that. I think a lot of us who are female/grew up in the 80s/90s got missed as kids. It's correct it doesn't solve all of the problems, but knowing helps me to prevent some of them from happening. The last 8 years have been a lot less rocky than the teens/twenties were.

To Nursejackie - I saw one of the replies you got before it got deleted - it made my blood boil and I had to step away to keep from responding. A lot of people don't understand ASD, especially those of us who from the outside can appear to be functioning well. I hope the DAS discussion goes well, and your upcoming trip it's lots of fun.

I am sorry I ever shared it on here now. He made it through mainstream (in the UK) with intensive support. He made it because we didn't give up or give in, when education wanted him to go to a special needs school. We didn't give in when taking him on holiday is a challenge. The fact he doesn't know is our decision. I gave some background so people could understand, but clearly I have to bare my soul to be able to get a simple answer to a question - how involved does he have to be in the call. No more answers please, I will be deleting the original post.
Sorry there are people being so critical, from what I have heard, all he needs in this case is to come in, have his picture taken and leave. It should be noted that many schools here are trying to keep as many students mainstreamed as much as possible, so it made complete sense to DH & I when yoou said it.

Is the site not accessible from another country? Or can someone from the UK just access the US link?
I think only when you are in the US, and maybe Canada, you can find the DAS pages on the website with the link to the video calls.

I am in Europe and when I use the search option, the pages do appear in the results list, but I am always redirected back to the EU homepage.

When I use a vpn, and set it to the US, I have access to the right pages. I always assumed this has something to do with preventing people whose first language is not English to call.

Congrats Karin - getting that affirmation and finally knowing makes a huge difference. We're the same age (1984) - I got mine at age 32, but had suspected for quite a few years before that. I think a lot of us who are female/grew up in the 80s/90s got missed as kids. It's correct it doesn't solve all of the problems, but knowing helps me to prevent some of them from happening. The last 8 years have been a lot less rocky than the teens/twenties were.
True. As it works and shows differently for women, it is no wonder we got missed.

I have known all my life that something is "wrong" with me. No one had to tell me. But because I didn't know what was wrong with me, I thought struggling was normal.

The first time I used DAS in Disneyland Paris, I cried on the way home because I was much more relaxed, not overstimulated and exhausted after a visit.

Knowing your diagnosis helps. It is not excuse, but a reason why things can be hard for someone with ASD. It helps making different and better decisions, to understand your brain better.

And when you understand your brain better, you can better advocate for yourself or explain your needs what happens when you wait in a conventional queue vs. waiting outside. Or at least you will understand better to have someone else do the talking for you.

I think only when you are in the US, and maybe Canada, you can find the DAS pages on the website with the link to the video calls.

I am in Europe and when I use the search option, the pages do appear in the results list, but I am always redirected back to the EU homepage.

When I use a vpn, and set it to the US, I have access to the right pages. I always assumed this has something to do with preventing people whose first language is not English to call.

You should have an option to switch to the US site on the homepage. Top left corner (3 lines), 2nd to last link (World Icon) allows you to select language but more accurately location. It shows a distinct site for US/Canada both in English for example.

I don’t know how sophisticated Disney is, but this new process has everyone on edge and last thing you need is someone interpreting your VPN usage as trying to hide something….yes I know I’m being super paranoid.

You should have an option to switch to the US site on the homepage. Top left corner (3 lines), 2nd to last link (World Icon) allows you to select language but more accurately location. It shows a distinct site for US/Canada both in English for example.

I don’t know how sophisticated Disney is, but this new process has everyone on edge and last thing you need is someone interpreting your VPN usage as trying to hide something….yes I know I’m being super paranoid.
Yeah, we don't have that option here in Europe. When you go to wdw.com, or whatever the URL is, it always reroutes you to the EU sites. And we can only switch between EU and UK/Ireland.

This was already implemented before the new rules. Made a few years ago.

Yeah, we don't have that option here in Europe. When you go to wdw.com, or whatever the URL is, it always reroutes you to the EU sites. And we can only switch between EU and UK/Ireland.

This was already implemented before the new rules. Made a few years ago.
you can use a VPN

we used it with no problems

Had a cast member say "It doesn't matter if the person can't wait in a line, under the new DAS it only matters if they have a cognitive disability which makes them not understand what a line is."
Was this the DAS chat CM that said this? I know this line has been going around.

Had a cast member say "It doesn't matter if the person can't wait in a line, under the new DAS it only matters if they have a cognitive disability which makes them not understand what a line is."
This is at least the 4th (and maybe higher than 5th) time we’ve seen this reported so I’m inclined to assume it’s not just one random rogue CM— I can understand why Disney might want to draw a very bright distinction like that to limit DAS to a very small group—but I CANNOT understand why they are inconsistently applying that rule, which seems incredibly strict, to some and then completely disregarding it for others.

@Chuckdlc — were you by chance told this when applying at Disneyland? I think most of the incidents we’ve heard people being told this are at DLR.

This is at least the 4th (and maybe higher than 5th) time we’ve seen this reported so I’m inclined to assume it’s not just one random rogue CM— I can understand why Disney might want to draw a very bright distinction like that to limit DAS to a very small group—but I CANNOT understand why they are inconsistently applying that rule, which seems incredibly strict, to some and then completely disregarding it for others.

@Chuckdlc — were you by chance told this when applying at Disneyland? I think most of the incidents we’ve heard people being told this are at DLR.

There has to be some sort of error in training where people may be interpreting an example as the only situation or something along those lines. I can confirm in my situation we were approved and the DAS holder is fully aware of what a line is.

Or it is something CMs have found out to say to shut down a conversation with a guest.

If it was what was said and misinterpreted in training, then training would be pretty short. And the question wouldn't be "why can't you stand in a conventional line?" but the question would be "do you know what a line is / do you understand the concept of a line?"

Either it is the same CM in all situations, or one CM found out that it works and has told his/her colleagues.

My husband was approved yesterday. Yes he has had DAS in the past. We had a very friendly cast member. He started out asking the same questions as before like why he struggles waiting in lines etc. The only thing different this time was a few more follow up in depth questions. I just answered honestly even if the answer was "I don't know." After a few minutes he asked if my husband was available for a picture. He then took his picture and that was that! I thanked him for his time and he said enjoy your vacation.

There has to be some sort of error in training where people may be interpreting an example as the only situation or something along those lines. I can confirm in my situation we were approved and the DAS holder is fully aware of what a line is.
Yes, training thousands of people without inconsistent interpretations is tough. I work at a large company, and trying to get sales and servicing people to stay on message and follow new policies always has flaws.

Each CM probably had something to read (and most skimmed). Supervisors explained it in a team meeting (and each highlighted something different). Finally, the CMs started talking with each other and said something else. Add in all these complicated stories our disabled community tries to share with them, and it's information overload.

Yes, training thousands of people without inconsistent interpretations is tough. I work at a large company, and trying to get sales and servicing people to stay on message and follow new policies always has flaws.

Each CM probably had something to read (and most skimmed). Supervisors explained it in a team meeting (and each highlighted something different). Finally, the CMs started talking with each other and said something else. Add in all these complicated stories our disabled community tries to share with them, and it's information overload.
And that why you need quality control at a customer service department.

When I worked at a call center, one of my tasks as a team lead was to listen back to calls and grade them. If I remember correctly, I had to grade 3 calls at random per month per agent. You can't listen to all, but it was better than nothing. Handing out wrong information was the worst offense, and resulted in a zero score which influenced the score at the end of the year. Influencing extending contracts and pay rises.

With the video calls Disney does, does it say somewhere "this call might get recorded for training purposes"? Or maybe just the audio?

And that why you need quality control at a customer service department.
Yes! It's easy to set up in a call center. I'd be surprised if they weren't using it for the online applications.

The parks are much more challenging, as there's no way to hear the conversations each CM has in queues, etc.

It was the video chat CM. To be fair she was nice enough but one thing that kind of irked me was her saying that "my husband has something similar to your condition." Well....my disease is pretty rare and has 1-8 new cases per million people in the US each year so that would either be a massive coincidence or evidence of an underappreciation of the significance of one's illness/disability.

I'm the first to say that others have it worse than me but when someone thinks that their husband has "something similar", they just aren't getting how rare and unique my disease is.

It was the video chat CM. To be fair she was nice enough but one thing that kind of irked me was her saying that "my husband has something similar to your condition." Well....my disease is pretty rare and has 1-8 new cases per million people in the US each year so that would either be a massive coincidence or evidence of an underappreciation of the significance of one's illness/disability.

I'm the first to say that others have it worse than me but when someone thinks that their husband has "something similar", they just aren't getting how rare and unique my disease is.
Sounds like she was biased on her own experiences with her husband.

If you were discussing your needs with the CM v. your diagnosis, it may very well be that her husband has similar needs. The rarity of the diagnosis is irrelevant to the needs. A guest could be the only person in the entire world with a particular diagnosis and still not need DAS to access attractions.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest