Rope dropping worth it?

If you’re staying at a Disney resort or other qualifying hotels, you get a 30-minute head start over non-resort guests. This can make a big difference when rope-dropping the most popular rides.

I rope dropped Magic Kingdom one time. I was staying at Wilderness Lodge and so rode the boat over to MK and made it to early entry, got to very close to the front of the crowd at the entrance to Fantasyland, and waited. When the rope dropped they announced that Space Mountain, Mine Train, and Peter Pan's Flight were all opening late. I don't recall when those rides opened, but it was well after the normal park opening time. I realize this was an anomaly, but rides opening late happens quite frequently, all things considered.

I will NEVER rope drop again, at least not with the intention of riding something first thing.

I rope dropped Magic Kingdom one time. I was staying at Wilderness Lodge and so rode the boat over to MK and made it to early entry, got to very close to the front of the crowd at the entrance to Fantasyland, and waited. When the rope dropped they announced that Space Mountain, Mine Train, and Peter Pan's Flight were all opening late. I don't recall when those rides opened, but it was well after the normal park opening time. I realize this was an anomaly, but rides opening late happens quite frequently, all things considered.

I will NEVER rope drop again, at least not with the intention of riding something first thing.
Similar situation - we rope dropped HS from Boardwalk in hopes of riding Slinky Dog. We were one of the first through security and made our way quickly to SD - only to be told when we got there that the ride was going to be closed for a couple of hours. Why they didn’t tell us this at the entrance so we could have made a different plan is beyond me (also, I confirmed later CM did know prior to park opening). Bummer bc by that point all the other rides we would have rope dropped had lines. In the grand scheme of things, NBD but definitely changed my opinion of rope drop - you have to go in with low expectations and anything surpassing that is a gift.

Similar situation - we rope dropped HS from Boardwalk in hopes of riding Slinky Dog. We were one of the first through security and made our way quickly to SD - only to be told when we got there that the ride was going to be closed for a couple of hours. Why they didn’t tell us this at the entrance so we could have made a different plan is beyond me (also, I confirmed later CM did know prior to park opening). Bummer bc by that point all the other rides we would have rope dropped had lines. In the grand scheme of things, NBD but definitely changed my opinion of rope drop - you have to go in with low expectations and anything surpassing that is a gift.

The odds of all the E-ticket early entry rides at a park being closed is probably a rare event, but like I said - and like your experience bears out - it's fairly common for at least one of them to not open at rope drop. So yeah, keep it in mind.

For me, the best rope drop strategy is to avoid the biggest demand rides. At MK, don't try to go straight for 7D or Space Mountain- try Peter Pan or Buzz Lightyear.

These are rides that will have longer waits within the first couple hours, but almost no one going to them at rope drop.
This is a brilliant strategy. Thanks for the tip

We haven't rope dropped since the 90's but back then Disney let people in up to a rope barrier at the top of Main Street. If staying at a Disney resort there was a lane off to the right that you could move past the rope barrier into Fantasyland. Only Fantasyland rides were open for 30 minutes but it was a land out of the way and a way to get a start onto Space Mountain before the rope was actually dropped. Not sure if this still happens.

My question for you other rope drop veterans- what happened to the rope drop 'shows'at the parks?Thinking specifically about the train pulling up at MK and Rafiki 'waking up' the Tree of Life. Those I miss :worried:

I did rope drop once ant MK and it felt like it wasn’t worth it. Though going into the shops when everyone else rushed to the rides was great not having to deal with the mayhem. Then saw Mickey when the meet and greet first opened with minimal wait time.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest