Rip, Ride, Rockit!

They sent out a press release yesterday with more details of the ride, so I am taking that as a good sign. Hopefully they wouldn't be pushing it to the media if another delay was imminent.

watch - it'll open the day after we leave....this happend with the mummy to us....oh well. gives us yet again another excuse to come back!

They sent out a press release yesterday with more details of the ride, so I am taking that as a good sign. Hopefully they wouldn't be pushing it to the media if another delay was imminent.

I know down here in S. Florida its been all over the radio in the past week along with the summer concert series.:thumbsup2

I dunno...try getting stuck in the brake run on SeaWorld's Manta, hanging there on your belly with your feet shackled, if you want a freaky experience. We were at the passholder event the other morning, and it was running a little erratically. On one go 'round we were out on that brake run a little longer than I cared to be!

We watched this happen a couple years ago on Superman at our Six Flags Great Adventure while waiting in the queue. They had to call a crew out to pry something so the riders could be turned upright again. It took a really long time. Must have been a lot of sore necks. I know mine ached just from the short time they leave you waiting to exit when the ride is over. I can't imagine 1/2 hr of that!
Be sure to use a locker for everything. Ds12 just lost his cell phone from a velcro cargo pocket while riding that last month. :headache:

I hope they work all the kinks out by the time we visit USO in Sept! :yay:

Yes, I've already lost a water bottle to Manta, even though I shoved it waaaay down in my pocket. Now I just wear a lanyard with my annual pass and money and bring nothing else or just leave everything in the car or a locker. I have a neck strap for water bottles, but they only let me wear it on Manta 50 percent of the time...don't know why since it ain't going anywhere once I'm strapped in.

Bumping, hoping for an opening date (surely before our planned T'giving trip.....)

I read it's to install a new anit-rollback system for the lift hill.

Well if thats the case, then ... *weeew*... At least they are not behind. :banana:

Any idea when they'll release which songs we will get to choose from for the ride? :laundy:

Well if thats the case, then ... *weeew*... At least they are not behind. :banana:

Any idea when they'll release which songs we will get to choose from for the ride? :laundy:
I am glad they are on track with it but sad I won't be able to ride it this year since we will be there in 2 weeks and more than likely it won't be open by then :sad:

Reminded me of something...

We have a huge coaster (over 450' high) at our Six Flags Great Adventure, Kinda Ka. I think the stats are that 1 in 50 times, it can't make it up over the hump and it rolls back. This is after being shot out like the Hulk but this goes 0 to 128 mph in less than 4 secs.:scared1:
Everyone cheers when they roll back cuz then they get shot out a second time! :crazy2:

http://www.sixflags.com/greatAdventure/rides/Kingdaka.aspx

I love Kingda Ka, have only been on it 5 or 6 times in our last few visits, but I would LOVE a rollback while on it!!!!

Exactly right! A construction worker (poster: Noelno) for RRRRC posted this on another site:
"The reason they are pulling the lift track down to put the anti roll back pieces on is because originaly the lift was going to have a dual chain system instead of a gator back anti rollback system but for some reason they changed their mind, now the pieces for the second chain have to be removed in order to install the gator backs.

As far as the lift coming down goes, i don't know why Universal decided to change anti-rollback systems like they did but the lift coming down is not really a bad thing. Think of it this way, by going ahead and finishing the track we were able to test the lift, brake stations, not to mention make sure the vehicle even made it around the track. If Universal had waited for the new rollback pieces to put the lift track in then all those tests would still need to be done.
I wish Universal would have went with B&M but apparently when this project began B&M had a 5-year waiting list. Anyway, if Universal would have waited for B&M then we probably would not have a new coaster because the economy went to crap."

He also had a great photo that only the construction people could see:
http://boards.ioacentral.com/index.php?showtopic=11441&st=3220 Just look for the posts by Noelno on that page.

I wish Universal would have went with B&M but apparently when this project began B&M had a 5-year waiting list. Anyway, if Universal would have waited for B&M then we probably would not have a new coaster because the economy went to crap."
I'm with you 100 percent...I've been a B & M coaster gal ever since they put the Batman protoype in at Six Flags Great America. Manta is just the latest example of B & M's coaster artistry. Oh well, RRR looks like it has some great potential.

With the opening of its new Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit drawing nearer, Universal Orlando has decided to peel back the curtain a little further on the high-tech roller coaster.

The resort has released a wave of new details about the features of Rockit, which was initially supposed to open this spring but has been pushed back into the summer. Among them:

-- The ride vehicle, called an X-CAR, will feature stadium-style bucket seats ensuring all riders have unobstructed views. And it won't have an over-head/pull-down restraint system; instead riders will be secured only by a newly designed lap bar, which Universal says "allows for unprecedented freedom of movement."

-- Guests will choose their ride soundtrack from touchpad screens built into the lap bar. Universal says the screens are "military-grade durable and waterproof."

-- Each seat will have 165-watt stereo speakers that pump out 90 decibels, in a sound system similar to the kind installed on wakeboard boats.

-- Fourteen video cameras will be mounted throughout Rockit, six on each vehicle and eight along the track, which will operate for up to 14 hours a day. The same kinds of cameras are used on high-speed trains.

-- Laser-triggered timing devices have been installed to ensure that each rider's music and video are in sync and the resulting video package will be wirelessly downloaded from the X-CAR to a viewing kiosk in 25 seconds. Guests can buy the "an edited take-home version of their experience."

-- Universal says Rockit will be the only coaster in the world with daytime LED color-changing lights, which will be programmed to change color and rotate between steady, strobe, twinkle, race or pulse patterns. The result will be an "ever-changing light show" to spectators on the ground.

-- Rockit will also feature the country's only moving coaster load platform -- essentially a people-mover-style conveyor belt that speeds up the loading process and allows vehicles to leave the station every 23 seconds.

-- Each vehicle's cameras and computers are recharged each time they pass through the load station, similar to how an electric subway is powered.

"This is where high-speed coaster meets outdoor mega-concert meets user-generated content -- all shot on production-quality video," Mark Woodbury, president of Universal Creative, said in a press release. "No one has ever created such a sophisticated ride experience. And no one has ever used technology the way we have to pull it all together."

Have they said when it will open to the public yet?!
Debsx:goodvibes

There has been word that the grand openning is July 3. Its was posted on a radio station website for a grand openning appearence but it was quickly removed. They probally made a mistake and posted it up. It originally said from 2-5 pm on the 3rd. Now they have a comming soom for the apperance. Radio station is Power 96 here in S. Florida.:thumbsup2

Rockit will also feature the country's only moving coaster load platform -- essentially a people-mover-style conveyor belt that speeds up the loading process and allows vehicles to leave the station every 23 seconds.
Karnak predicts this is going to be a bloody nightmare. You know how they have to stop rides like Haunted Mansion and Spaceship Earth to load special-needs riders? You really think you can hustle someone with a mobility problem out of a wheelchair and into a train in 23 seconds? I predict lots of people stuck in brake runs on an ongoing basis.

This ride is sounding more and more awesome with each bit of new info that is released. Looks like it is going to be open when Im there. Which, unfortunately, is right toward the tail end of peak time. :scared1: I honestly wouldnt be suprised if it had a 300+ minute wait. :scared:

On the flip side, however, maybe most of the park will be a little less crowded. :cool2:

My dream is that everyone will be bored with it by the time I get there in October, and no one will want to ride. That way, I will be able to ride over and over again with little or no wait.

Just a dream, I know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter