Replacing the Rocking roller coaster with Monster Inc ride

Not even remotely true.

If that were true Tower of Terror in DHS would have also had to remove the Twilight Zone aspect.

Yes, I never heard it was a rights thing. I believe Disney wanted a quick way to back into a Marvel land, and ToT was just in the right place.

Personally, if they ever re-theme ToT at Hollywood Studios, I want them to use the original story that the Tokyo version has, so it still has the spooky vibe. Guardians was fun, but it's far from the spooky theme that I love (see Haunted Mansion).

RnR is by far my favorite ride in WDW. If they ever officially confirm that it is changing...even just picking a different band, I kid you not when I say I will get in my car, drive 8 hours to WDW, buy a one day pass and grab FP+ after FP+ after FP+ to ride it until I puke. I've been a huge Aerosmith fan since I was a teen, I even used to hang a bandanna from my cars' rear view mirror like Steven Tyler did from his microphone stand. Add the fact that the ride itself is awesome and it's hands down my #1. Nothing I love more than getting in the back row...watching the entire limo roll over in front of you is super cool.

Yes, I never heard it was a rights thing. I believe Disney wanted a quick way to back into a Marvel land, and ToT was just in the right place.

Personally, if they ever re-theme ToT at Hollywood Studios, I want them to use the original story that the Tokyo version has, so it still has the spooky vibe. Guardians was fun, but it's far from the spooky theme that I love (see Haunted Mansion).
Plus you get Joe Rohde as Harrison Hightower.

Not even remotely true.

If that were true Tower of Terror in DHS would have also had to remove the Twilight Zone aspect.
That's the point, the rights at Disney World aren't set to expire yet, DCAs was set to expire first, not entirely sure why, probably due to when they were last renewed at Disney World and when DCA got the rights.

The point is when it comes time to renew the rights at Disney World, CBS will either have to behave better or Disney will remove the Twilight theming unless Disney decides it is worthwhile to pay the higher fees at Disney World.

This is indeed why the themeing was changed at DCA, but admittedly it is possible Disney would pay the higher fees at Disney World because at DCA, changing to Guardians fit with a long term goal of a Marvel Land, it just added an additional attraction that they weren't going to have before. But just be aware that it is indeed possible as the rights expire at each of the parks (all parks have different timelines), it is possible that Disney won't renew the rights.

That's the point, the rights at Disney World aren't set to expire yet, DCAs was set to expire first, not entirely sure why, probably due to when they were last renewed at Disney World and when DCA got the rights.

The point is when it comes time to renew the rights at Disney World, CBS will either have to behave better or Disney will remove the Twilight theming unless Disney decides it is worthwhile to pay the higher fees at Disney World.

This is indeed why the themeing was changed at DCA, but admittedly it is possible Disney would pay the higher fees at Disney World because at DCA, changing to Guardians fit with a long term goal of a Marvel Land, it just added an additional attraction that they weren't going to have before. But just be aware that it is indeed possible as the rights expire at each of the parks (all parks have different timelines), it is possible that Disney won't renew the rights.
Not even close to the reason.

Unless you have a source for this info you’d like to share...

Not even close to the reason.

Unless you have a source for this info you’d like to share...
The Orange County Register as I recall was one place that reported about it, there were others as well, but many if then we're people physically in the park that we're working on the redesign and would have been in the know that confirmed the speculation and these were executives, not construction workers. But I can't verify that for obvious reasons.

This was one of the worst kept secrets around here, as I recall Disney World still have another 5 to 7 years before the rights expire. That one came straight from people, so again I can t verify the exact timeline for Disney World.

These are the kinds of things those of us who are regulars out here at Disneyland get to pick up. If it we're just construction workers talking, I wouldn't give it much validity, but executives and such I do.

Now would it have happened even if the rights weren't an issue? Possibly, but it would have been delayed a bit longer, as they originally wanted Guardians to open with Marvel Land, not ahead of it like this.

I would personally like to see this as well, even if Disney did consider renewing the rights, I would love to see this change at Disney World. I think it makes more sense to eliminate as many outside IPs as possible, Disney has more than enough if their own and can create their own stories.

This would also keep it different from California....I truly hate all of the copying between Dis eyland and Disney World, but to copy from overseas parks would make sense. They could even expand the area to behind there and build a version of Mystic Manor from Hong Kong. Perhaps give them both a slightly updated story to tie them together.

The Orange County Register as I recall was one place that reported about it, there were others as well, but many if then we're people physically in the park that we're working on the redesign and would have been in the know that confirmed the speculation and these were executives, not construction workers. But I can't verify that for obvious reasons.

This was one of the worst kept secrets around here, as I recall Disney World still have another 5 to 7 years before the rights expire. That one came straight from people, so again I can t verify the exact timeline for Disney World.

These are the kinds of things those of us who are regulars out here at Disneyland get to pick up. If it we're just construction workers talking, I wouldn't give it much validity, but executives and such I do.

Now would it have happened even if the rights weren't an issue? Possibly, but it would have been delayed a bit longer, as they originally wanted Guardians to open with Marvel Land, not ahead of it like this.
Not buying it sorry. I’ve been tracking rumors and news for years now. Everything I’ve heard from reliable sources point to other reasons and Twilight Zone rights not being the issue. If they were so worried about the costs of the rights it would’ve left WDW a long time ago as well.

RnR is by far my favorite ride in WDW. If they ever officially confirm that it is changing...even just picking a different band, I kid you not when I say I will get in my car, drive 8 hours to WDW, buy a one day pass and grab FP+ after FP+ after FP+ to ride it until I puke. I've been a huge Aerosmith fan since I was a teen, I even used to hang a bandanna from my cars' rear view mirror like Steven Tyler did from his microphone stand. Add the fact that the ride itself is awesome and it's hands down my #1. Nothing I love more than getting in the back row...watching the entire limo roll over in front of you is super cool.

All of this post is me too.

Except the bandanna portion. I wasn’t quite that cool.

Back in the days of lower crowds my DD and I would re-ride that sucker until the line went beyond 15 minutes (old school FP helped). I think 9 in a row was our record. I also give this ride credit for making Aerosmith cool in my DDs eyes. She became a fan. Quick. Not that she hadn’t grown up listening to them or anything :rolleyes2. She now owns a few Aerosmith tshirt which I’m told are “ok for someone her age but when you wear them mom, you’re totally dating yourself”.

While Monsters Inc is my favourite Disney movie (next to Tangled) and I’d LOVE to see a Monsters themed coaster, retheming RNRC will completely bum me out.

Aerosmith has fans that go across a few generations. Soon they’re classics will be retro/throwback, etc. and will bring in even more fans. Havning heard rumors of different artists moving in (remember that awful Jonas Brothers rumor?), Disney is probably sticking with the consistent thing, even though they surely have entertained thoughts of a new artist before.

My understanding is that Steven Tyler absolutely loves the ride, so I don't think he'd ever be a roadblock to keeping the theme. That doesn't mean that Disney won't eventually want to change it, but it's still quite popular, so I doubt it's too high on their priorities list. I love Aerosmith too, so I'm in no hurry to see it changed.

One time riding it, I cracked some lady up in the pre-show. When the whole group is offered backstage passes, I said "Steven Tyler's such a nice old lady." She kinda lost it. It was fun!

I hate that they took out the Aerosmith music playing in the queue. I think it added so much to the theming. Now, the theme just seems like it's in limbo. At this point, I think they might as well change it. I just hope it's good enough to live up to how good RnR is. I love Aerosmith and will be sad when it eventually goes.

While I love both RnR & Tower of Terror as they are and especially have nostalgic memories for Tower of Terror - I think they will eventually be re-themed. They really don't fit into the direction the park is heading. The difficulty and why I think it will take a while before it happens is that when they do re-theme them, they will need to do something that is going to appease a LOT of fans. I feel like they would also need to make those two rides themes fit with each other because of their proximity to one another and potentially add a third ride back there to create another "land." I'm sure they would love to do something with Marvel back there - it's probably the one thing that would match the "thrill" level of those two rides, but as we don't need to get into a discussion of - not going to happen in Orlando any time soon.

While I love both RnR & Tower of Terror as they are and especially have nostalgic memories for Tower of Terror - I think they will eventually be re-themed. They really don't fit into the direction the park is heading. The difficulty and why I think it will take a while before it happens is that when they do re-theme them, they will need to do something that is going to appease a LOT of fans. I feel like they would also need to make those two rides themes fit with each other because of their proximity to one another and potentially add a third ride back there to create another "land." I'm sure they would love to do something with Marvel back there - it's probably the one thing that would match the "thrill" level of those two rides, but as we don't need to get into a discussion of - not going to happen in Orlando any time soon.
Since these were frist built, Disney has drastically increased their ownership of IPs through acquisition and creation. There may come a time where they don't see the need to license outside properties - when they have so many of their own to pick from.

Not buying it sorry. I’ve been tracking rumors and news for years now. Everything I’ve heard from reliable sources point to other reasons and Twilight Zone rights not being the issue. If they were so worried about the costs of the rights it would’ve left WDW a long time ago as well.

This article offers some confirmation that savings on what Disney would have been paying to CBS played a role in the decision to change the ride at Disneyland: https://www.****************.com/features/20160911/32179/twilight-twilight-zone-tower-terror?page=4

From the article: "From the corporate perspective, however, it makes a ton of sense. In a single move, Disney can elevate one of their surging brands while simultaneously saving money on a payout to CBS."

Perhaps not THE reason, but maybe A reason?

I have no idea if Theme Park Tourist is considered a reliable source.

EDIT: Looks like my link was not allowable. Sorry about that.

This article offers some confirmation that savings on what Disney would have been paying to CBS played a role in the decision to change the ride at Disneyland:

From the article: "From the corporate perspective, however, it makes a ton of sense. In a single move, Disney can elevate one of their surging brands while simultaneously saving money on a payout to CBS."

Well, I'm sure that Disney doesn't mind not having to pay the licensing fee, however I don't think it was the primary driver of the change. They wanted Marvel presence in DLR very quickly with the possibility to use the surrounding space for more Marvel when the time came. ToT just happened to have the right location and the propensity for a quick refit, so there you go. They would've done it, fees or no fees. It's just a nice side effect.

This article offers some confirmation that savings on what Disney would have been paying to CBS played a role in the decision to change the ride at Disneyland: https://www.****************.com/features/20160911/32179/twilight-twilight-zone-tower-terror?page=4

EDIT: Looks like my link was not allowable. Sorry about that.

In my reading of the article it isn't necessarily that CBS was trying to jack up the licensing rights its that Disney felt it could cut out the licensing fees and boost one of its own IPs and I would guess that the theory has legitimacy. In the same way I don't think that it is out of the question that after GE opens (and maybe after the 50th) we see RnR and ToT re-themed as part of a full re-imagining of Sunset Boulevard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!