Replacing the Rocking roller coaster with Monster Inc ride

The Monsters Inc coaster is a rumor that's been around a long time. IIRC, the rumor started about ten years ago when there were reported whispers about a new Monsters Inc inverted coaster at DHS based on the door scene and that would be family friendly. The idea was linked to the success of Toy Story Midway Mania and the growth of Pixar in the parks. The coaster obviously never happened - and the fact that they just finished Toy Story Land and have the Slinky Dog Coaster instead doesn't suggest it'll happen anytime soon (if ever).

Over time, the rumor has morphed from a new coaster into an overlay of Rock n Roller Coaster. While it's an interesting idea and the proximity to Toy Story Land might make that plausible (plus ongoing rumors about the Aerosmith licensing), I have a hard time seeing it ever happen. Setting aside having two Pixar-themed coasters in one park, another reason is that Disney tends not to use young kid friendly properties to theme its more aggressive rides (as above - the original Monsters Inc coaster was supposed to be more SDD/7DMT, and less RnRC/EE). Most of the roller coasters across the parks have more "adult" theming (Indiana Jones and Tron, for example) and most aren't based on any particular IP at all. The coasters that are more kid themed (7DMT and SDD) are family coasters on the low end of the thrill spectrum. The only exception I can think of is the Incredicoaster - but on that one you know exactly what you're getting into since the ride is all out there in the open to see (unlike RnRC).

The point is - it's hard to see Disney theming one of its more aggressive coasters (that has one of the most restrictive height requirements) along the lines of a property that has high appeal among young guests that either couldn't ride it or have families that might get a much different experience out of it than what they may have expected from an IP popular among a young demographic (along those lines - imagine converting Tower of Tower into Tigger's Tiger Bounce).

I love R'n'R ... but they need to do SOMETHING with it. That intro scene is just old and cheesy, and Aerosmith probably lacks a lot of connection / appeal to most of their guests these days. Heck I am in my 30s and while I know who they are ... Meh. It doesn't add any appeal to me at all.

Heartily agree. Not to undermine Aerosmith’s mark on music...but it’s a very dated intro and theme.

The coaster itself is amazing, and I hope they wouldn’t change that aspect of it.

They really need to dump the rock and roll theme and go with classical music instead. Beethoven's 5th Roller Coaster would work well or perhaps the William Tell Overture: Final Roller Coaster.

Unfortunately that might lead to IP with the band concert short being the theme having that play. It works too well, tornado, falling benches in lieu of the signage

Unfortunately that might lead to IP with the band concert short being the theme having that play. It works too well, tornado, falling benches in lieu of the signage
IP in DHS does not bother me. DHS is where IP belongs. EPCOT and AK are the worst fit for IP. But in MK or DHS? No problem. Go IP crazy...

IP in DHS does not bother me. DHS is where IP belongs. EPCOT and AK are the worst fit for IP. But in MK or DHS? No problem. Go IP crazy...
IP throughout WDW is fine. EPCOT and AK need more IP quickly. Burma-Shave signs along the route on the safari would be a step in the right direction:

As I’ve said, depends on the IP depends on the attraction. I don’t mind IP integration but I do mind poor execution. Incredicoaster to me was poor execution even though I liked the lighting and figure work. Controversial but I loved frozen ever after and mission breakout wasn’t half as bad as everyone made it out to be at announcement. I’m pumped for ratatouille and guardians, granted I wanted ratatouille since it seemed like a real good fit and guardians is replacing an attraction that contained 3 IPs and in my eyes was extremely unreliable near the end. (even though it might not happen) I’m hoping for zootopia in animal kingdom but honestly unless I hear anything that’s about it IP wise that I can think of. Like if they decided to add an IP to every single country and every single pavilion at Epcot (keep in mind the ratio currently of the pavilions there for original to ip and it’s been 2-5 with energy and Nemo) that would be a problem. And the rumors about Indy and black panther in animal kingdom had me pissed since they had nothing to do with the idea of conservation as well as exploring wildlife (which is why I’m cool with zootopia there), but yeah, it depends on the situation for me. I don’t want to elaborate anymore since I think I rambled and it is off topic

Last edited:
I have no problem with this ride being re-themed. I think a Monster's Inc. coaster would be way better then the theme the coaster has now. As exciting as the ride is, I never felt it fit in a Disney park. It also has one of the worst queues in all of WDW.

I have no problem with this ride being re-themed. I think a Monster's Inc. coaster would be way better then the theme the coaster has now. As exciting as the ride is, I never felt it fit in a Disney park. It also has one of the worst queues in all of WDW.
I agree, but then I think about the ride without the music...

Wreck It Ralph could be a fun IP change but yeah half the appeal is the music and I don't know if Disney has any good in house options for that.

The coaster itself is amazing, and I hope they wouldn’t change that aspect of it.

Honestly I think the coaster is one of the worst in central florida and the worst part of the ride. Easily my least favorite E-ticket and I LOVE coasters. I don't care about Aerosmith, but the intro is at least different and interesting, and the theming of the very end of the queue is well done. But its a 20 year old B&M launch coaster and it shows. It wouldn't be in the top half of coasters at most six flags and that is saying something. It's not an awful ride, but there just really isn't anything special about it. Now that it is tier 2 I might actually ride it more than once a trip and maybe that will make me like it more. But personally I would be ok with them demoing the whole thing to make room for whatever the next expansion is.

Honestly I think the coaster is one of the worst in central florida and the worst part of the ride. Easily my least favorite E-ticket and I LOVE coasters. I don't care about Aerosmith, but the intro is at least different and interesting, and the theming of the very end of the queue is well done. But its a 20 year old B&M launch coaster and it shows. It wouldn't be in the top half of coasters at most six flags and that is saying something. It's not an awful ride, but there just really isn't anything special about it. Now that it is tier 2 I might actually ride it more than once a trip and maybe that will make me like it more. But personally I would be ok with them demoing the whole thing to make room for whatever the next expansion is.]

Vekoma not B&M

I have read that Aerosmith signed a 20-year contract which would be up soon. I would not be surprised in the least if they re-theme the attraction with a different band, or something different all together. I have noticed a decline in the merch with both "RnRC" and "Aerosmith" over the last 6-9 months, like they are phasing out the Aerosmith theme. And while I will be incredibly sad if that happens, I can understand it. Kids aren't listening to rock & roll.

I have read that Aerosmith signed a 20-year contract which would be up soon. I would not be surprised in the least if they re-theme the attraction with a different band, or something different all together. I have noticed a decline in the merch with both "RnRC" and "Aerosmith" over the last 6-9 months, like they are phasing out the Aerosmith theme. And while I will be incredibly sad if that happens, I can understand it. Kids aren't listening to rock & roll.
They just came out with a new RnRc line...

PHOTOS: Take the Concert Home With New Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Merchandise at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

The theming of this ride is fantastic, the story works and gives us a scripted excuse to listen to some old school rock while looping around at unreasonable speed. I'm not arguing against re-theming, but I think it will be very difficult to come up with another combination that works this well.

Comparing this coaster to six flags is not fair, compare it to the rest of Disney. This is IMO the best place to go on property for a thrill. I think ToT is the next best in terms of that combination of theming and thrill, then EE a somewhat distant third. To tear this down for a dark screen ride or something would be crazy.

You're right! Kids don't listen to rock & roll any longer. That's why we need Rappin' Roller Coaster:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter