Remove all the BUGS & SPIES from your COMPUTER!!!!UPDATE

thanks for the update and link I was just thinking about this the other day need to add to DS computer. :)

Mal

Thanks all for the great info but I have an imac and this program is not compatable. Anyone know of a free program I can download for mac os 9??
:confused: Is there a way to check to see if you have any spyware without downloading a program?
Thanks much!!!

Cinder - Just checked and here's the fine print from the LavaSoft download page:

Welcome to our freeware and shareware Downloads page!
Choose a site to download your copy of Ad-aware, the Ad-
aware Help file, RefUpdate, RegHance and Ad-search from. The
freeware* version of Ad-aware is compatible with Windows
9x/ME/NT40, Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Sorry - no Mac O/S version available... either free or "full" release.

-diane :jester:

Okay, I want to download the 6. version. What do I do?? THere are sooo many things to click I do not know which one to start. Can someone help???

Christine

Click this link: http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10045910.html. Click on Download Now. When it prompts you, click on Open. This will start the install. When the Install is complete, click on Start, Programs, Lavasoft AdAware 6, AdAware 6. Click on Start.

You should be all set!

-diane
:jester:

Wow! Thank you very much! 113! All from the same source, Data Miner, or something to that effect.

Mal,

These are little programs that Internet companies place on our computers - without us knowing - which allow them to collect information. It's mostly marketing related - tracks where we go, online purchases (not your credit card #), to establish profiles, to send you either email (Spam), etc. A sort of "big brother."

Another excellent idea for people is to make sure they are running the most recent anti-virus software/update. If you're not running AV software, it's worth the $30/year to download and install it to avoid virus related problems.

A free way of protecting yourself is downloading the most recent version of your internet browser (usually either Microsoft Internet Explorer, or Netscape Communicator). Usually patches and updates are included and help in protecting you against potential vulnerabilities lurking on the Internet.

Hope this helps,
-diane

flowerface.gif

Originally posted by deecee99
A free way of protecting yourself is downloading the most recent version of your internet browser (usually either Microsoft Internet Explorer, or Netscape Communicator). Usually patches and updates are included and help in protecting you against potential vulnerabilities lurking on the Internet.-diane

Where can I download the most recent version of Microsoft Internet Explorer?
hello.gif

:sunny::bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :sunny:

Cindala-

Here is the link for all versions of Microsoft's Internet Explorer. I'm not sure which one you're running (either 5.x or 6.x), but you can check by clicking on Help, About Internet Explorer. Look at Version - it should be something like 6.0.8.xxxx, so such. Choose the IE version you want. You can upgrade to 6, if you're not running it yet...

Feel free to reply back to the thread (for others) or PM me directly with any questions (mailto:dianecus@yahoo.com).

Cheers,
-diane

flowerface.gif

deecee99,
Thanks for the link! I checked and we are running the 5.5 version. When I download the updated version, is there a difference between say 6.0 or 8.0, and does that automatically replace my old version, or must I delete that myself?

We have been having so many problems recently with AOL and our screens freezing, that it is ridiculous. Maybe this will help some?
angel.gif

deecee99,

LOL I know what they are, afterall I did start the thread. I am just wondering which site they are coming from since I get them on days I do not even do any reward programs.

As I am typing this I just got hit by another trojan horse. Your reminding everyone about an antivirus program is a great idea.

But I would suggest to go one step further and get a Firewall also.

I use Nortons Internet Security but there are others I just like Nortons best runs better on my computer.

I can not stress how important this is.

Mal

just another note if you are running Windows there should be a windows update in your start up list you should also ck this from time to time for any updates to windows.

Find it by clicking on start programs Windows update while connected to the internet.

hope this helps

Mal

life.gif

Mal,
Thanks for the tip! I just spent the last two hours checking out Windows update. It said I needed 17 critical updates to my computer!! It took 2 hours to download and apply the first package which included Internet Explorer 6.0.

Now to go back and see what else I am missing!
flowerface.gif

Just in case anyone is interested ~ There is a pretty good article in the April 22, 2003 edition of PC Magazine on sypware. In the article it rates a number of spyware removal programs & it gave Ad-aware 6 a good rating. The only program it rated higher was SpyBot Search & Destroy www.spybot.safer-networking.de/ which you can also get for free. I haven't tried this one, as I have had pretty good luck with Ad-aware 6, but it might be worth a try just to see if it picks up anything else. :)

Hi

Thanks for the link I like AdWare but if there is a better one I will try it....as soon as I get my taxes e-filed....then I am headed over there to download. I learned my lesson last year nothing gets downloaded until taxes have been filed. LOL

Mal

PC Magazine's Editors' Choice Award link 04/06/2003
PC Magazine has recently written a great review about spyware and ways to remove it. After reviewing 9 different spyware removal programs, they came to this conclusion:

"Only one, PepiMK Software's SpyBot Search & Destroy (our Editors' Choice), actually managed to destroy the spyware and adware it detected without leaving much detritus behind. [...] SpyBot Search & Destroy is the best of the bunch. And as a free application (with a voluntary donation requested), it's far more worthy than competitors that cost upward of 30 dollars."

Mal - I know what you mean about not downloading anything before taxes are done! Thank goodness mine are done.

I think I'll download the SpyBot this afternoon. I'll post to let everyone know how it works once I've tried it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter