Relative to "walking", which of the following best describes your reservation activity?

Which of the following best describes your reservation activity? Check all that apply:

• I have never "walked" a reservation(s).

Votes: 84 40.4%
  • I have "walked" a previous reservation(s.

Votes: 109 52.4%
  • I am currently "walking" a reservation(s).

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • I am planning to "walk" a future reservation(s).

Votes: 54 26.0%
  • Other: Explain in your remarks

Votes: 7 3.4%

• Total voters
I've walked a reservation once or twice. It's not very common for me though because I like many of the DVC resorts and tend to switch reservations around anyway when I stalk later.

In the past I’ve mainly walked VGC reservations at 7 months to get the dates we wanted. Now that we own VGC and VDH, I haven’t really had to anymore. I do, however, plan to walk future reservations especially for runDisney trips. I couldn’t get VGC or VDH for the DL Half weekend and ended up staying at GCH on cash for the first time. We definitely missed the 2BR we usually get at VGC especially considering the cost of the hotel rooms. I wanted to sleep early before the races and it just wasn’t feasible with all 5 of us in one room.

In the last twenty years I've generally walked my 2br boardwalk reservations at the 11m window. I only book bw view or lately standard, so it's necessary in fall, which is when I usually do BWV.

This is how it's always been for this room, at this time of year in a 2br. At least I do not have to call day by day anymore. That was a huge pain. The only difference now is I have to start earlier because more people know about walking.

I've never walked an 11 month reservation but if I see something that might be available by "walking" it at 7 months I will do it for a few days.
I do the same, if I see that the dates I want are available a couple of days before my intended arrival, I try to book them and then I'll drop those extra nights later, to have a couple more chances at 8am. But, I've been very successful with waiting lists; lately I got the rooms I wanted more often with a WL than with direct booking at 7 months.

I have walked a boardwalk view studio several times. This year was the first year it was impossible to do for a stay starting early December. I was able to grab one day at a time when the walkers released the days they didn‘t want. It took a lot of time but then DVC combined all the singles into one reservation. Not my favorite way of booking.

Haven't and won't. I don't own DVC to do a lot of extra nonsense to secure a reservation. If what I want isn't available, I will take something else. I own BWV points and have always been of the opinion that if I can secure a Boardwalk View room, I will, but I'm happy with preferred. In 20+ years, we've booked standard once to conserve points for a big family trip.

I wouldn't walk into seven months because there isn't a resort I don't own that I'd want to do that much work for, where walking in seven months is likely to work.

I bought DVC for all the runDisney races on both coasts. I accidentally figured out walking back in 2016 at VGC (confused on dates and booked 2 days early) for the 2017 DL half weekend. So far I’ve only had to walk at VGC due to the small inventory and I absolutely have no flexibility on race dates and being solo most race weekends I really just need a studio. So I walked for the return of the DL half (Jan 2024). Currently walking to end of Jan for 2025 DL half weekend, because I fear rooms being taken out for refurb and further reducing inventory.

With our add-on at VDH, I was able to book Sept 2024 race weekend there the day the new race weekend was announced (well inside the 11-month) window. I don’t need the standard view to save points, just a studio so that was easy at VDH.

I have never walked but I fear I may have to in order to secure a BW view at BWV early Dec. 2025
25-year BWV owner and we always stay in a Boardwalk View room (usually a 2BR). Over the past few years, it’s become virtually impossible to get a boardwalk view (studio or 2 BR) for any length of time without walking. I don’t like having to do it, but am certainly not going to just give up our favorite view if it’s allowable and others are doing it. Good luck!

In the last twenty years I've generally walked my 2br boardwalk reservations at the 11m window. I only book bw view or lately standard, so it's necessary in fall, which is when I usually do BWV.

This is how it's always been for this room, at this time of year in a 2br. At least I do not have to call day by day anymore. That was a huge pain. The only difference now is I have to start earlier because more people know about walking.
Same! And yes, I also remember having to call every day at 9 AM. That was a real pain. As I recall that was for booking any type of DVC room reservation - you had to call daily to add each day. Not specifically related to walking.

Voted: Other

I haven't walked a DVC reservation but not particularly opposed to the idea, if it seemed necessary. I've used similar strategy with one of our other timeshares.

My typical DVC behavior is: "waitlist + stalk" inside the 7-month window. Works for me and maybe, just maybe, I'm benefitting from the member who is walking a reservation and releasing the dates I waitlisted? Maybe? IDK

Same! And yes, I also remember having to call every day at 9 AM. That was a real pain. As I recall that was for booking any type of DVC room reservation - you had to call daily to add each day. Not specifically related to walking.

Only once did we call daily for Boardwalk View way back when - that was because we needed two two bedrooms. Every other reservation was made with a single call.

I am not really for or against it. The main thing that I get confused or wonder about when people comment that they don't have time or not worth the effort. It literally takes under 2 mins to sign in, change the dates and move on with your day.

I can imagine when you used to have to call everyday, that being a pain.

I am not really for or against it. The main thing that I get confused or wonder about when people comment that they don't have time or not worth the effort. It literally takes under 2 mins to sign in, change the dates and move on with your day.

I can imagine when you used to have to call everyday, that being a pain.
Also, for those on the West Coast, it’s less inconvenient than waking at 4:50AM in hopes of snagging a room when the clock strikes 5.

25-year BWV owner and we always stay in a Boardwalk View room (usually a 2BR). Over the past few years, it’s become virtually impossible to get a boardwalk view (studio or 2 BR) for any length of time without walking. I don’t like having to do it, but am certainly not going to just give up our favorite view if it’s allowable and others are doing it. Good luck!
I suspect that the recent difficulty of getting BWV rooms is due to the commercial rental market (where they come with a big premium) — perhaps it will get easier again if Disney follows through with its threat to crack down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter