Rain predicted for entire length of vacation

We will be in Disney World next week, May 13 - 19. Looking at the forecast right now just depresses me. It's predicted to rain everyday, essentially all day. Not just rain, thunderstorms too. This is the worst news for me because I was so very much looking forward to some sunshine after a colder-than-normal winter and spring here in NC. I purchased PH+ tickets thinking we could hit the water parks a couple of afternoons. I am just so bummed about this. I can only hope the forecast gets better later in the week, but so far it's only gotten worse (I've been watching since this past weekend).

*I know Disney is not at all at fault for this, weather is unpredictable and sometimes this is how it goes. I'm just bummed and this is basically a "whine" post. :worried:

You'll still have a great time. Stock up on as many .99 ponchos as you can. I buy a case before vacation and pack several for each person on a rainy day so we can take off and toss instead of trying to reuse them. I also pack several large gallon zip lock bags and TONS of extra socks. Every rainy day I have a few bags for wet socks and bags of dry socks so we can change socks out through out the day. Makes it a bit more enjoyable when you can have a fresh pair of socks on even if it's just for a bit.

This happened to us a few years back. Rain every day. Downpours. It was the best trip ever. It seemed to keep the locals away and everyone else back at their hotel. We just made up our mind we were going to get wet and dealt with it. I hate for my hair to get wet, so I would put a disposable shower cap over my hair underneath my poncho hood and threw it out at the entrance of every building that we entered. I swear, I had about 50 of those folded up toiletry caps in my bag ready to go. Make sure your footwear is non-slip soles. Plan ahead and you will have a great time!

I found it sad coming back to the lobby of the Yacht Club. It was packed with people just hanging out. Looking miserable. Waiting for the rain to end. GET OUT THERE and enjoy the rain! Make it fun and smile.

We had a similar experience for our second trip. 12 days of record rain, but we wound up having some of our most fun at Disney that trip.

On our first day, I went into the bathroom of our hotel room, sat on the floor, and cried because I was convinced that the trip was ruined. Once the initial disappointment passed we were ready to enjoy ourselves.

On our last day, we sat for an hour and a half in the pouring rain while Wishes was delayed and eventually canceled. I would have assumed that would have been absolutely miserable, but it is our favorite memory of all our family vacations.

It's predicted to rain everyday, essentially all day. Not just rain, thunderstorms too.

Thunderstorms generally don't last all day. Usually 20 minutes to a half an hour, then they blow by, especially on a peninsula or island. And as previous people have said, if the percent chance of rain is less than 50%, it more than likely will not rain. Weather forecasters like to list rain, even when it's unlikely, as what else do they have to report? So a 10% chance of rain gets reported on even though that means a 90% chance on NO rain.

We have done a lot of trips through rain. Does not slow us down. Since many were summer trips I opted for an umbrella instead of a poncho (things are so hot I got wetter from the sweat than the rain) with rubber sandles with no slip soles, fishing shorts (they dry fast) and light shirt. We just keep on going and like many have said lines get shorter as people head back to the resorts. We live on the Texas Gulf Coast so the weather here is very similar to Orlando and as others have said forecasts change quickly and are not always right. My son and daughter in law leave Saturday through the following Sunday and wife and I go the 19th till the 26th so we will be ready for whatever it throws at us.

On our last day, we sat for an hour and a half in the pouring rain while Wishes was delayed and eventually canceled. I would have assumed that would have been absolutely miserable, but it is our favorite memory of all our family vacations.

:cutie:Making the most out of life:cutie:

Thunderstorms generally don't last all day. Usually 20 minutes to a half an hour, then they blow by, especially on a peninsula or island. And as previous people have said, if the percent chance of rain is less than 50%, it more than likely will not rain. Weather forecasters like to list rain, even when it's unlikely, as what else do they have to report? So a 10% chance of rain gets reported on even though that means a 90% chance on NO rain.
So far I'm seeing a lot of 60-90% chance for most days, which is what had me so worried to begin with. However, the amount of rain estimated seems fairly low, under .25 in per day.

However, the amount of rain estimated seems fairly low, under .25 in per day.

Wishing you very short showers & thunderstorms and a great time.
CrossingFingers1.gif

Last edited:
When we’ve gone in the summer the mornings are usually sunny and the rain hits in the later afternoon-sometimes a quick shower and sometimes lasting longer.
My suggestion would be to visit the water parks early because you can tour the parks later even if raining. And I have found the weather app Dark Skies to be extremely accurate and helpful.

Chances are you won't see more than a few scattered showers. That is pretty much the same forecast we get every day through the summer months. Don't worry about it.

We were there last June, and it rained every day. At one point in the MK I just started cracking up laughing because it could NOT have possibly rained any harder, and we were trying to make an ADR and were getting drenched.

Sure, I wish the weather would have been nicer, but the temps were great for June and the crowd level was down.

Going next week as well for a girls trip with my two DD's. They are 12 and 9 so don't mind the rain too much. As long as it's not a complete downpour for the entire day we are just planning on making the best of it and looking on the bright side, such as lower crowds! I have had a trip before where it just came down in buckets. It was our first family trip and our Epcot day so not much to do when you can't walk around world showcase, etc. but we tried to make the best of it and stick it out. I have been several times and I love walking around all the countries, but the rest of my family have never big fans since then! :P At this point we are just going to hope for the best and plan for the worst because we are going either way!

Thanks everyone - I definitely feel less worried now that I've looked at some other weather apps. I know the trip isn't ruined. I could maybe even hope for shorter wait times, as others have said :flower1: I am still looking forward to our trip.

We are there the same time as you. I just joined DIS to see if anyone else is complaining about the weather during this time...

I am also sad and worried....I wanted to go to the Water Parks and have read that rides close down during Thunderstorms.

Catch a drink if it all closes down?
I will be there with my fiancé!

We went the week of June 5th last year, our first trip to WDW, and that was pretty much the story, rain rain rain. What caught us off guard was things closing at WDW because of rain. It may happen at DL too, but I've never seen it happen there. Rain or shine, everything is open.

I was just going to post about our trip last June.

It rained for our entire trip. The rain wasn't an afternoon storm (though they happened too) but a continuous soaking. We were great about it until the last 3 or so days. By then, I was ready to just throw in the towel and go home. I don't complain much but I got so tired of being soaked through, despite umbrellas and ponchos and rain jackets (oh my!), that I had a proper teenage meltdown (at the age of 33).

Great memories in the rain at Disney in late May/June 2009.

DH and our 4 kids were riding Backlot Tours. DH and I were in one car and the 4 kids were in the car behind us. We heard a commotion and they were saying they were getting wet. DH and I said "No, it's not raining that bad, you can't be getting wet." Turned around and yep-they were drenched. I had ponchos and tossed them back to them. As we got off the ride, we had to wait in the gift shop until the torrential rain blew over.

After that, crowds left and the park was pretty empty.

Another evening that trip, we were going to watch Illuminations at EPCOT. We set the kids up in a great location to watch the fireworks and DH and I headed off to find snacks for everyone. DH was wearing sandals that decided to disintegrate with each step we took. We found a kiosk selling Mickey crocs and he proudly bought those as we threw the remnants of his sandals in the garbage. Still has them today. Watching Illuminations that night was through a thick cloud of smoke as the air was so full of humidity and rain.

We were at one of the Water Parks that trip on another day, and DD and I were separated from DH and the boys. They must have gone to ride something she was too small for. We barely found them and got the heck out of the park and into the car before that afternoons' thunderstorms hit.

In 2015, 3 of the kids and I were in Atlanta with DH who was at a work conference. We bought the pass and toured World of Coke, the Aquarium and CNN and the children's museum. On the day of our going to the CHildren's Museum, we got stranded waiting for a city bus as we watched a thunderstorm roll in. We waited in the pouring rain on a city street near the museum for an hour. Drenched and laughing, we got on the bus and headed back to the hotel.

Put on the ponchos and make the most of it! Can be some of your best memories.

It rained every day of our trip last year. We had one afternoon of a couple hours of pool time. It rained on and off each day, not just those quick Florida rains. It wasn't the best weather and we didn't get to the waterpark BUT armed with umbrellas and ponchos we had a great time. And the weather did keep the crowds away somewhat. It may not be the vacation you were hoping for but it's still going to be a great time. :)

I was just going to post about our trip last June.

It rained for our entire trip. The rain wasn't an afternoon storm (though they happened too) but a continuous soaking. We were great about it until the last 3 or so days. By then, I was ready to just throw in the towel and go home. I don't complain much but I got so tired of being soaked through, despite umbrellas and ponchos and rain jackets (oh my!), that I had a proper teenage meltdown (at the age of 33).

I knew rain was a possibility. Nothing Disney can do about that. I was surprised that so many things closed during the rain. Lord knows the park has been open almost 47 years, I don't understand why in 47 years they haven't come up with better weather proofing so that they don't have to close stuff down in the rain.

It rained every day when we were there. Typical Florida weather, thunderstorm would roll through for 20 minutes to half an hour. It was record breaking highs of over 105° 2nd week of June and everyone but me were swamping themselves with sweat underneath ponchos. Everyone was just as wet as I was when the rain stopped. I thought the rain felt wonderful.

It doesn’t get that hot in Orlando. The highest temperature I saw recorded was 102 back in 1945.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter