Rain predicted for entire length of vacation

This happened to us a few years back. Rain every day. Downpours. It was the best trip ever. It seemed to keep the locals away and everyone else back at their hotel. We just made up our mind we were going to get wet and dealt with it. I hate for my hair to get wet, so I would put a disposable shower cap over my hair underneath my poncho hood and threw it out at the entrance of every building that we entered. I swear, I had about 50 of those folded up toiletry caps in my bag ready to go. Make sure your footwear is non-slip soles. Plan ahead and you will have a great time!

I found it sad coming back to the lobby of the Yacht Club. It was packed with people just hanging out. Looking miserable. Waiting for the rain to end. GET OUT THERE and enjoy the rain! Make it fun and smile.
Same here, a few years ago we were there when a tropical storm stalled right over Orlando for a week. It POURED all day, every day. I'm talking a wall of water & we slopped around in it having a great time. I don't want to sugar-coat it, it would not have been my choice to have that weather for the week but it was one of our most memorable trips. You can't control it, so make the most of it & have a blast!

Well, my son's Disney vacation is getting off to a rough start. Flight delayed several hours due to...you guessed it...storms. Flight from Orlando to DC area delayed so the plane back out to MCO is delayed. With luck, he might land close to 1AM. :guilty: He's just gotten so angry about it. He thinks he has bad luck planning vacations.

My last WDW trip was in August of 2008. Tropical storm Fay hit on our second day. It stayed over us for the next week. We made the best of it, and we didn't let it ruin our trip. Rain will only ruin your trip if you let it.

It doesn’t get that hot in Orlando. The highest temperature I saw recorded was 102 back in 1945.
Only going by the local weather on the television at the time we were there. First day there was record breaking 107 according to the news. It dropped down to 105 on our last day. June in 2010.

Wife and kids I thought were dying. They asked how it was not bothering me. Use to it, it's hotter than that at work with worse humidity.

It doesn’t get that hot in Orlando. The highest temperature I saw recorded was 102 back in 1945.

Only going by the local weather on the television at the time we were there. First day there was record breaking 107 according to the news. It dropped down to 105 on our last day. June in 2010.

Wife and kids I thought were dying. They asked how it was not bothering me. Use to it, it's hotter than that at work with worse humidity.

I think there has to be some discrepancy between what the TV weather teams report as the high/low temperature and what is recorded as the official high/low temperature (maybe the location of where the "official" temps are recorded as opposed to where the TV stations record their temps). We too have been at Disney when the actual temperature reported by the local TV stations has been over 100. I know there was a June trip that we had 2 or 3 days at around 102-103 with the "real feel" being a bit higher. It was torture. I can remember walking out of our room at 7:30 a.m. and it feeling like it was mid-afternoon. I'm too lazy to dig out my trip notebooks to find the exact dates of that trip (before I started keeping electronic notes) but I've looked through the "official" recorded temps for the month of June during the years we were at Disney since 2001 and none of them have temps that high. Yet I absolutely positively know they *were* that high when we were there. Temps over 100 are not common so it's easy to remember when they happen. I also remember that a trip a few years after that one (also in June), for the first 5 days of our 8-day stay, the temps never got higher than 87 and had unusually low humidity...which for FL in June made it feel like we might need a sweater. :D

When we moved to SW FL in 1986 I was promptly informed by a new friend that "It's not rain, it's LIQUID SUNSHINE". We do live in the Sunshine State after-all.

It's raining here now and the forecast appears to be laced with thunderstorms. Poncho/shoes/dry socks and you'll be fine.

I’ve lived in Florida my entire life. My in-laws live in Orlando. It was not 107 degrees in June 2010. That would have made national news. You most likely heard the “feels like” temperature. That is like the wind-chill but for humidity.

Edited to add this http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...rature-record-100-degrees-20150619-story.htmlfrom the Orlando Sentinel in 2015

Tl;dr: it hit 100 in 2015 which was the first time in 20 years

I’ve lived in Florida my entire life. My in-laws live in Orlando. It was not 107 degrees in June 2010. That would have made national news. You most likely heard the “feels like” temperature. That is like the wind-chill but for humidity.

Edited to add this http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...rature-record-100-degrees-20150619-story.htmlfrom the Orlando Sentinel in 2015

Tl;dr: it hit 100 in 2015 which was the first time in 20 years

Yes, don't they call it the "humiture?"

One year we were in Disney in June. It was super hot. I think the actual temperature was in the lower 90s but we were told it felt like 110 degrees. I'd have to agree with that. Going out at 7AM was like hitting a wall of hot, moist heat. We were in Animal Kingdom that day, which is the worst park for heat IMO, and it was really bad because of the humidity and heat combined.

One year we were in Disney in June. It was super hot. I think the actual temperature was in the lower 90s but we were told it felt like 110 degrees. I'd have to agree with that. Going out at 7AM was like hitting a wall of hot, moist heat. We were in Animal Kingdom that day, which is the worst park for heat IMO, and it was really bad because of the humidity and heat combined.

I went to DAK once when the “feels like” temp was 108 degrees (the real temp was upper 90’s). Not fun.

It’s currently 74 degrees here in Orlando and although it’s been raining off and on all day, it’s a great time to be at the parks because of the low waits. I’m sitting outside and it’s quite nice! I’d take this over sweltering summer sun any day!!

So go to the store and buy several $0.99 rain ponchos and take them with you to the park. When it rains, parks clear out but many rides still operate. We had the best times during rain storms. No lines anywhere and walked on to every ride we wanted to do.

No, not unless it was meant to be some kind of corny joke.

It's called the Heat Index. Here is the NOAA chart that simplifies the calculation.
heatindexchart-650.jpg

I think when you come from a climate where when it rains, the day is a wash (no pun intended), it's hard to remember that more tropical locations aren't like this. It may rain for a couple of hours, and then the weather clears and you have the rest of the day. Also, if rain is predicted at all (even for an hour), the weather app will show rain. No worries!

I so wish I could wear sandals but I can't stand my feet getting wet. I'm a tad OC, and even if I step in drops of water in my stocking feet I have to take off those socks and change into clean dry ones. :( I always bring sneakers and I even invested in some waterproof shoe covers for our trip next week. Hopefully I won't need them but I kind of doubt it.

I so wish I could wear sandals but I can't stand my feet getting wet. I'm a tad OC, and even if I step in drops of water in my stocking feet I have to take off those socks and change into clean dry ones. :( I always bring sneakers and I even invested in some waterproof shoe covers for our trip next week. Hopefully I won't need them but I kind of doubt it.

I think that the waterproof shoe covers are going to be very difficult to put on over your sneakers (my DH once ripped a pr. of galoshes trying to put them over sneakers), but if this is a real psychological issue for you, I guess you have to do what works for you. (How on earth do you shower if you hate to get your feet wet?) I recommend carrying a microfiber towel, spare slip-ons, and about 6 prs of socks in your parks bag. Maybe a roll of duct tape too, if you plan to ride Kali, because your feet will likely get submersed on that ride, and even with your galoahes, the water will get in from the top.

I hate wet socks, myself, but it's seldom an issue for me, because I also just hate socks, so unless it's really cold out, I never wear them. I live barefoot or in sandals from April to October.

I think that the waterproof shoe covers are going to be very difficult to put on over your sneakers (my DH once ripped a pr. of galoshes trying to put them over sneakers), but if this is a real psychological issue for you, I guess you have to do what works for you. (How on earth do you shower if you hate to get your feet wet?) I recommend carrying a microfiber towel, spare slip-ons, and about 6 prs of socks in your parks bag. Maybe a roll of duct tape too, if you plan to ride Kali, because your feet will likely get submersed on that ride, and even with your galoahes, the water will get in from the top.

I hate wet socks, myself, but it's seldom an issue for me, because I also just hate socks, so unless it's really cold out, I never wear them. I live barefoot or in sandals from April to October.

I am a sandal person too, in the parks. I've had to get my feet wet and it feels fairly uncomfortable even in the sandal, but I cannot imagine having that happen in a shoe.

I hear what you're saying. I tried them and they seem to work okay. Showering is fine because when I get out I do wipe them. :laughing: There's just something about getting my socks and shoes wet more than anything. Just don't like the feeling of walking around in them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter