Please school me on Southwest Change rules

ekatiel

DIS Veteran
So, last week during the fare sale, I bought three one way tickets HOU to MCO on 11/14 for our Thanksgiving WDW trip. We are now seriously considering cancelling and taking a DCL cruise out of Galveston instead. The fares were $100 pp for me and my two boys (we did not buy for DH b/c the WDW trip would have been in conjunction with a work conference and his work would have paid his fare). We did not book the return yet b/c it was not on sale. If I need to rebook these for a different trip, what are the rules? The boys will probably not be flying again until next summer. I may need to fly sooner than that. Does the credit expire after a certain date, etc? Thanks for your help. --Katie

The credit is good for one year for the person on the original ticket. For instance you couldn't use the credit for your sons tickets, only they can use it.

I just used my credit for a trip to WDW. The flight down cost us $26 each! I only had about two weeks left before it would have expired.

The credit is good for one year for the person on the original ticket. For instance you couldn't use the credit for your sons tickets, only they can use it.

To clarify, you must TRAVEL within one year of the dates you PURCHASED the original tickets or the credits expire. You can't just book within a year and travel later and the one year starts from the date of purchase, not the original date of travel. If the credits expire, you can extend them for another six months for $50 each.

I've use my credits for my daughter when it was mine. She has also recieved credits from friends. Nobody has every given me any credits

I've use my credits for my daughter when it was mine. She has also recieved credits from friends. Nobody has every given me any credits

This was allowed in the past. The rules now state only the original passenger can use the credit.

Just wondering, when do the credits officially become available. I rebooked a flight and each if us have $26 vouchers. I'm trying to do bounce back offer and book the flight and wondering can I use these immediately or not??

Just wondering, when do the credits officially become available. I rebooked a flight and each if us have $26 vouchers. I'm trying to do bounce back offer and book the flight and wondering can I use these immediately or not??

Yes, you can use them immediately. I rebooked flights for DW and I yesterday to LAX for our upcoming DL trip. The prices came down so I got credit. I used her credit to purchase her WDW flights for December. I have the SW credit card and had enough points to book my flight.

For all those wondering, you cannot use credit from someone's else ticket. I tried yesterday and the system will not let you. It will tell you the name on the ticket must match. When rebooking your flight, make sure you put your name exactly as you had it on credit. If you used a middle initial, you must use it when rebooking.

Also, one thing I also noticed; when I booked flights for DW and I together on one itinerary the first time, then rebooked at the lower price, all the credit went under my name and none to hers. :confused3 I don't know if it was because I booked the flights under my rapid rewards #, but I found that a bit odd. Guess I have credit for the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter