Got it! Friend misunderstood lack of Democrats on election ballot/Nebraska (Not for political debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this is my point if name is not on ballot take more effort.
The poster wasn't actually running for the office. It should take more effort to elect someone who doesn't have intentions to be elected.

I'm still a little confused about this whole story. Are you telling me that in Nebraska, none of the Democrats running for any office were on the ballot? Like, the Democrat running for US Senator had to be written in? The Democrats running for Congress had to be written in?

Or are you just talking about local races?

As someone that VOTED in the Nebraska election, I can guarantee you that the Democrats running for Senate, House and Governor and any other MAJOR races WERE listed on the ballot. Many smaller and county races could only have one candidate. In our county, we had a heated race for County Sheriff, first time in years there have been more than just one name on the ballot for Sheriff. My DSIL is the county assessor, she was the only one listed on the ballot because nobody filed to run against her.

This happens in the reverse where I live--about half of the elections on my ballot don't have a Republican running. I don't think that it's particularly difficult to get on the ballot as a Republican where I live. I think a lot of people just realize that in my area running as a Republican would be a little pointless, so no one does.

I'm still a little confused about this whole story. Are you telling me that in Nebraska, none of the Democrats running for any office were on the ballot? Like, the Democrat running for US Senator had to be written in? The Democrats running for Congress had to be written in?

Can't be. By law, all local races are officially nonpartisan. They have a single legislature with a top-two primary. I saw the list of choices, where some incumbents ran unopposed.

It's the statewide and federal races that allow party to be noted, and those are selected via a party primary.

This happens in the reverse where I live--about half of the elections on my ballot don't have a Republican running. I don't think that it's particularly difficult to get on the ballot as a Republican where I live. I think a lot of people just realize that in my area running as a Republican would be a little pointless, so no one does.

Depends on the state and their filing requirements. There's usually a filing fee, although some states allow someone to appear on the ballot with a number of signatures (of registered voters) gathered. I've heard of people who simply had their names placed on a ballot but made no attempt to campaign.

There were some real sideshows too, such as California's Governor recall of 2003. There were two "races", plus a couple of ballot proposition that qualified and that they put on the ballot rather than waiting for the next election. One race was a yes/no question on whether or not Governor Gray Davis should be recalled. Then there was the simultaneous race for a replacement should the recall occur. There was a $3500 filing fee (with a requirement for 65 signatures of registered voters) or a requirement for 10,000 signatures without a filing fee. The filing fee was prorated depending on how many signatures were gathered in lieu of the filing fee. Several actors were on the ballot, including of course Arnold Schwarzenegger and Gary Coleman. If you look at the ballot, there were some interesting jobs, such as "Adult Film Actress" and "Entertainer". Larry Flynt used "Publisher".

Sample_ballot_for_CA_recall.png

She just told me there was not a single democrat on the ballot. Every race was a write in.
This is what threw me off.

She just told me there was not a single democrat on the ballot. Every race was a write in.
She didn't understand what she was looking at or she is not articulating it clearly. That simply could not be the case.

Every state should be able to have a republican and a Democrat on every election ballot. Honeslty there should be an independent also.
There is literally no choice for the person who wants to switch sides blue.
Because corect me if I’m wrong
Are there any blue states in the planet that does not have a Republican on be ticket. Think about tbat
I have seen races in Georgia that only have a Democrat or Republican (usually an Incumbent)

I live in suburban Pittsburgh. My ballot had a Democrat and Republican for Governor and Senator. For Congress and State Legislature, only a Democrat. I assume no Republican choose to run, probably because it's a heavily Democrat district.

Well, you can lead a minority party candidate to the Commissioner of Elections Office, but you can't make him sign up.

It happens all over the country, and rather frequently. When an incumbent is solidly entrenched in a very homogeneous or Gerrymandered district, it's often a total waste of time and money to run against that candidate. This is the sort of thing that political professionals are hired to advise would-be candidates on -- do I have a chance at all, or would this be tilting at a windmill? Not running someone there means being able to use extra money somewhere else where the race is closer.

Above I posted the ballot from Sarpy County here in Nebraska which is where Bellevue is located. Bellevue is where the OP said her friend lives.

I'm calling BS on this one, being from Nebraska, I know how this works and there absolutely is no ballot given at the polling place or a absentee that would be nothing but write-ins. Go back to Post 94, click on the link, that is the sample ballot printed in our local paper before the election, this is about what she would have got at the polling place, other than a few different local candidates. So is she telling you she couldn't vote on the admendment to expand medicaid or none of the judges? How would she know who to write in? Thank you LoriKay, I was posting at the same time! Exactly what the ballot would have looked like.

The poster wasn't actually running for the office. It should take more effort to elect someone who doesn't have intentions to be elected.

On the local TV news here today are some of the results of the NY write-in ballots. (That's rather coincidental. I wonder if the reporter reads the DIS? :scratchin) The OP may be able to see the clip if she gets the NY1 channel on Spectrum Cable.

Some of the write-in ballots:

Donald Duck received 3 write-in votes.
722d1924.gif

Donald Trump edged Donald Duck out with 4 votes.
bf89f0ce.gif

Bette Midler got one vote. (She helps keep Central Park clean.
raking_leaves.gif
And she's Dolly Levi. :thumbsup2)
Andrew Weiner (the pervy ex-congressman,) got 1 vote. (Probably voted for himself. :rolleyes:)

TYSM!
I love these boards I was just thinking there has to be a sample ballot somewhere:-)
I just sent it to her.
The way she said it was only republicans were on the actual ballot and she was mailed a list of democratic candidates who were running.
Stay tuned
Thanks everyone.
Kerri
Edit
They were not on ballot she said because not enough signatures to get on the actual ballot and that is why she was sent a list.

Depends on the state and their filing requirements. There's usually a filing fee, although some states allow someone to appear on the ballot with a number of signatures (of registered voters) gathered. I've heard of people who simply had their names placed on a ballot but made no attempt to campaign.

There were some real sideshows too, such as California's Governor recall of 2003. There were two "races", plus a couple of ballot proposition that qualified and that they put on the ballot rather than waiting for the next election. One race was a yes/no question on whether or not Governor Gray Davis should be recalled. Then there was the simultaneous race for a replacement should the recall occur. There was a $3500 filing fee (with a requirement for 65 signatures of registered voters) or a requirement for 10,000 signatures without a filing fee. The filing fee was prorated depending on how many signatures were gathered in lieu of the filing fee. Several actors were on the ballot, including of course Arnold Schwarzenegger and Gary Coleman. If you look at the ballot, there were some interesting jobs, such as "Adult Film Actress" and "Entertainer". Larry Flynt used "Publisher".

Sample_ballot_for_CA_recall.png
Wow.
Learning so much how different we all vote
Thanks

Wow.
Learning so much how different we all vote
Thanks

I've never seen such a long list of candidates before or since. Strangely enough, some asked if the current Governor could have been named on the ballot, and California's recall law didn't allow for the recall subject to also be a replacement candidate. Strangely enough, I think he could have won if that were the case. Some of the more interesting candidates were:

Arnold Schwarzenegger - actor, former bodybuilder, became Governor
Cruz Bustamante - Lieutenant Governor at the time. His campaign was kind of awkward recommending voting no for the recall, but put his name in just in case.
Tom McClintock - current member of Congress.
Peter Ueberoth - former head of the LA Olympic organizing committee and Commissioner of Major League Baseball
Gary Coleman - actor from Diff'rnt Strokes
Larry Flynt - publisher of Hustler Magazine
Mary Carey - adult film actress
Angelyne - famous for being famous. There were a series of billboards in LA with her image. And the ballot used that single name.

No I get it I live on Long Island which is one of the “red” parts of NYs
Not sure if you’re in Suffolk or Nassau, but you may recognize the name Tom Spota. Here’s a quick timeline of his career as DA of Suffolk County. Keep in mind, he’s a Democrat in a predominantly Republican county in the “blue” state of NY.

• 2001: Switches party affiliation from Republican to Democrat to run for Suffolk district attorney against longtime Republican DA James Catterson. After bruising campaign, Spota wins by a large margin.
  • 2005: Wins first re-election, without an opponent and endorsed by all major and minor parties.
  • 2009: Wins second re-election, again without an opponent and endorsed by all major and minor parties.
  • 2013: The state’s highest court rules that Suffolk’s 12-year term limit does not apply to the district attorney’s office, allowing Spota to run for a fourth term. He again receives cross-endorsements from all major parties, defeats a GOP primary challenger and wins re-election.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter