• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Got it! Friend misunderstood lack of Democrats on election ballot/Nebraska (Not for political debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
TYSM!
I love these boards I was just thinking there has to be a sample ballot somewhere:-)
I just sent it to her.
The way she said it was only republicans were on the actual ballot and she was mailed a list of democratic candidates who were running.
Stay tuned
Thanks everyone.
Kerri
Edit
They were not on ballot she said because not enough signatures to get on the actual ballot and that is why she was sent a list.
Two things come to mind, either your friend is mistaking literature mailed by the Republican Party to simulate a ballot as a real ballot or she's full of baloney. In my state, the Democratic party sent out a fake ballot that only had the democrats running on it to illustrate who they would like you to vote for. Perhaps this is what your friend received and she didn't realize it was edited for advertising purposes. If this isn't the case, I don't think your friend is being honest or at very least, she is misleading you.

I also feel that the election process is rigged a little, at least they do whatever they can to win. So maybe no one wanted to run on the democrat side, seems weird but gerrymandering, whatever they can do to rig the system they get away with. When my husband and I were going to vote in the primaries in our state which, by the way, you have to register as one party or another over a year in advance, I was told by my local office thatI couldn't vote, that I had marked off both my party and independent. What a bunch of hooey. If we don't at least admit that they we are really bleeped.

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks for informing us. I would love to have things like this brought to light by our "news" stations instead of the same couple things they seem to focus on all day long.

The OP, or her friend, is confused. Sample ballots have been posted from that state and there absolutely are Democrats on it.

I also feel that the election process is rigged a little, at least they do whatever they can to win. So maybe no one wanted to run on the democrat side, seems weird but gerrymandering, whatever they can do to rig the system they get away with. When my husband and I were going to vote in the primaries in our state which, by the way, you have to register as one party or another over a year in advance, I was told by my local office thatI couldn't vote, that I had marked off both my party and independent. What a bunch of hooey. If we don't at least admit that they we are really bleeped.
It just comes down to being an educated voter. Your state has closed primaries. Meaning if you aren't registered as a voter for that party, you don't get to vote. And if you register for two parties, you don't get to vote. The primary is for that party only unless it is an open primary. Then anyone can vote in either primary.

Exactly. There is no way that there weren't any Democrats listed for the US Senate or House of Representatives.

Maybe she should contact the local media.
Try California. Sen Diane Feinstein ran in the Nov election for Senator. Her only opponent was State Sen Kevin de Leon, also a Democrat. There was no Republican candidate on the Nov ballot for US Senator. The California primary determined that the top two vote getters would be on the Nov ballot.

Try California. Sen Diane Feinstein ran in the Nov election for Senator. Her only opponent was State Sen Kevin de Leon, also a Democrat. There was no Republican candidate on the Nov ballot for US Senator. The California primary determined that the top two vote getters would be on the Nov ballot.
Yes because that'show primaries work in California. The top two people are on the ballot. Nebraska doesn't work that way for congressional elections. I didn't say it doesn't happen anywhere. I was referring to this thread about Nebraska.

Unless you're saying that only Feinstein was on the ballot and the other had to be written in, it's not the same thing.

Nebraska state legislative elections are nonpartisan and the top two primary winners face off. But not for congressional elections. Maybe that's where the OP's friend got confused.

Yes because that'show primaries work in California. The top two people are on the ballot. Nebraska doesn't work that way for congressional elections. I didn't say it doesn't happen anywhere. I was referring to this thread about Nebraska.

Unless you're saying that only Feinstein was on the ballot and the other had to be written in, it's not the same thing.

Nebraska state legislative elections are nonpartisan and the top two primary winners face off. But not for congressional elections. Maybe that's where the OP's friend got confused.
If you look on page 6 of this thread, someone posted the sample ballot for that county in Nebraska. The friend was wrong.

She didn't understand what she was looking at or she is not articulating it clearly. That simply could not be the case.

I think the only way it could be true is if it’s not a year the Governor & other statewide offices are contested AND neither of the US Senators is up for re-election. “IF” that were the case, I could see the possibility that there would only be one party represented for the US House of Representatives (as well as ALL the lower offices). But, even that would be a stretch.

Ok OP here!

Some miscommunication/misunderstanding.
She was able to vote the Medicaid expansion.
And it was local races that did not have opposing. Thinking on my ballot in NY, their was definately a candidate that was listed under every party.

Either way I am happy this thread stayed civil when it was “political”ish :-)
I did learn a lot about how we all vote so different in every state.
It is interesting!
Thanks everyone.

Ok OP here!

Some miscommunication/misunderstanding.
She was able to vote the Medicaid expansion.
And it was local races that did not have opposing. Thinking on my ballot in NY, their was definately a candidate that was listed under every party.

Again, the unicameral Nebraska legislature uses a top two primary and is officially nonpartisan. If only one candidate registers for the primary, then that candidate will be unopposed in the general election and is guaranteed to win unless nobody votes at all for that candidate. I don't believe the top two primary system allows for write-ins for the general election, even if there's only one listed candidate.

Again, the unicameral Nebraska legislature uses a top two primary and is officially nonpartisan. If only one candidate registers for the primary, then that candidate will be unopposed in the general election and is guaranteed to win unless nobody votes at all for that candidate. I don't believe the top two primary system allows for write-ins for the general election, even if there's only one listed candidate.
If I’m reading your post correct....
This past election there were definately write in space somewhere.
Talking with another family member during visit to Nebraska. She writes her own name in becaise she knows that her vote does not count.
That is what made me think sheesh if there isn’t a name on ballot...
Peace
:-)

Hi,
I love these boards and I live by common sense rules. I am finding out this is not so common.

Full disclosure. I live in NY which is a “blue” state. I have only voted in this state. I am a registered Democrat. I go to my polling place and I can choose a democrat or republican candidate. I don’t vote blue always I vote the person and their agenda.

Here is where I LOOSE MY MIND!!!!

My BFF moved to Nebraska. She is a registered Democrat. Apparently this is a red state and she was MAILED the people running.
NO DEMOCRATS ON THE BALLOT!
You have to write the name in!

I’m sorry but obviously this is extremely bias IMO ! Please educate me otherwise!
I live in a blue state and their are republicans on ballot.

So please correct if I’m wrong System is rigged.... anyone who might want to vote “the othe party” last minute can’t because they are NOT on ballot!!!

Honestly please help me understand this madness!
Kerri

In my part of NY (a nearby county to you) we've had Democrats run as Republicans after losing the Democratic primary; Republicans run as Democrats and of course elections where one person's name showed up on most every party's line. This happens in not only county but municipal, statewide and federal levels.
Pretty sure frmr NYC Mayors Bloomberg and Giuliani switched parties to attain their political goals.[/QUOTE]

If I’m reading your post correct....
This past election there were definately write in space somewhere.
Talking with another family member during visit to Nebraska. She writes her own name in becaise she knows that her vote does not count.
That is what made me think sheesh if there isn’t a name on ballot...
Peace
:-)
Smart move.

It just comes down to being an educated voter. Your state has closed primaries. Meaning if you aren't registered as a voter for that party, you don't get to vote. And if you register for two parties, you don't get to vote. The primary is for that party only unless it is an open primary. Then anyone can vote in either primary.

I never registered for two parties like they said I did. It was all over the place that many people were not able to vote for all kinds of baloney reasons. And you shouldn't have to register a year in advance anyway. They cheat if they are able, our system is dirty, come on we all know that much. I'm not going to get political but it can be ugly.

Nebraska Secretary of State's website:
http://www.sos.ne.gov/elec/voter_info.html

Part of the FAQs:

Must I designate a party affiliation?
  • No, voters may choose from one of the three statewide parties currently recognized in Nebraska: Democratic, Republican and Libertarian or they may choose to not affiliate with any party by checking the non-partisan box on the application.
  • If you wish to vote in the primary election, where parties choose their nominees for state and county offices, you need to declare your party affiliation.
  • If you register without a political party affiliation, you will receive only the non-partisan ballots at a primary election.
  • Non-partisans may designate a party preference at primary elections and receive partisan ballots for the Senate and House congressional races.
  • Party designation has no bearing when voting a non-partisan ballot or in the general election.

Some limited research appears to show that Nebraska is a top-two primary, which means the top two vote getters, regardless of party affiliation, are the two candidates named on the general election ballots. That's the way it is in CA.

Nebraska Secretary of State's website:
http://www.sos.ne.gov/elec/voter_info.html

Part of the FAQs:

Must I designate a party affiliation?
  • No, voters may choose from one of the three statewide parties currently recognized in Nebraska: Democratic, Republican and Libertarian or they may choose to not affiliate with any party by checking the non-partisan box on the application.
  • If you wish to vote in the primary election, where parties choose their nominees for state and county offices, you need to declare your party affiliation.
  • If you register without a political party affiliation, you will receive only the non-partisan ballots at a primary election.
  • Non-partisans may designate a party preference at primary elections and receive partisan ballots for the Senate and House congressional races.
  • Party designation has no bearing when voting a non-partisan ballot or in the general election.

Some limited research appears to show that Nebraska is a top-two primary, which means the top two vote getters, regardless of party affiliation, are the two candidates named on the general election ballots. That's the way it is in CA.

California does it that way for all statewide elected offices, both houses of the state legislature, and all Congressional elections. Candidates still have their party listed on the ballot.

Nebraska only has the top two primary for their single house legislature. And they don’t list party affiliation. All other statewide and Congressional elections there seem to be using the traditional party based primary, with independents in the general election.

I never registered for two parties like they said I did. It was all over the place that many people were not able to vote for all kinds of baloney reasons. And you shouldn't have to register a year in advance anyway. They cheat if they are able, our system is dirty, come on we all know that much. I'm not going to get political but it can be ugly.
Yes this was kind of my original point.
The way our country votes is broken.
Both sides cheat the system.
We should all be able to vote the same way and be streamlined.
I think Disney imagineers should think of a clever intuitive easy safe way to vote! :-)
Peace
Kerri

Larry Flynt - publisher of Hustler Magazine
Mary Carey - adult film actress
Angelyne - famous for being famous. There were a series of billboards in LA with her image. And the ballot used that single name.

I miss the numerous billboards for Angelyne that used to be in the LA area. In the 2003 recall election, she actually came in something like 28th place out of 100+ candidates with several thousand votes.

Angelyne1-e1334115200554.jpg
angelyne5.jpg

Last edited:
I miss the numerous billboards for Angelyne that used to be in the LA area. In the 2003 recall election, she actually came in something like 28th place out of 100+ candidates with several thousand votes.

Angelyne1-e1334115200554.jpg
angelyne5.jpg

I remember one of her billboards was featured in one of the opening credits for Moonlighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter