Plan Ahead with Lightning Lane Entry at Walt Disney World Starting July 24

I feel lucky that we are at the point where we stay long enough to have multiple days at each park and we are fine with riding rides once. Makes it easier for us when dealing with tiers, can just spread the booking out over our length of stay and we can probably get everything we want, in combination with purchasing rides like Tron or Guardians. Also this has the benefit of being able to book at different parks with a hopper.

Will be a bit harder for those with shorter stays, but hopefully everyone can find a way to make it work for them.

For me it’s less about being ok and more about “it is what it is.” Time is money at WDW, and if I can afford to save that time, I’m likely to pay.
I think it helps me mentally that we just started going to Disney again last year after last being there around 2000 so I really don’t have memory of the lower costs. The current cost is my reality.

Does early access for resort guests start on the 24th? I assumed that was going to be the first day that the system was available in the parks, so early bookings would commence on the 17th. Could be wrong there though.

Andre
As of now, Disney is saying that everything begins on the 24th so people that arrive on the 24th (or a few days before) will not have the early advantage of the seven days for resort guests. However, they should be able to book the rest of their stay (up to 14 day limit) starting on the 24th. This may be cold comfort to those arriving then, as chaos is bound to ensue with the IT.

As of now, Disney is saying that everything begins on the 24th so people that arrive on the 24th (or a few days before) will not have the early advantage of the seven days for resort guests. However, they should be able to book the rest of their stay (up to 14 day limit) starting on the 24th. This may be cold comfort to those arriving then, as chaos is bound to ensue with the IT.

I'm thinking about booking LeeLoo Dallas Lightning Lane MultiPass for August 1st, based on a stay beginning on July 31st, which means.... hey, the 24th is the start of my 7-day window! (Pray for me.)

For the Fifth Element fans out there --
1719495832642.png

Yes, it appears that the new LL Multi allows guests to book a 4th attraction after the first is tapped or ridden - and that attraction can be at any park. Some are reading it can be either Tier 1 or Tier 2 for the additional booking, but I'm not certain of that one. With the old FP+, you couldn't book another until the first 3 were ridden. Guests can then book a 5th after the second is tapped/ridden, etc - assuming there's much of interest available by then.....
From the Disneyworld.com website: "Once you redeem a selection on the day of your park visit, you can choose another multi pass experience from either group (subject to availability)." (emphasis added) The "group" is the tier.

Does early access for resort guests start on the 24th? I assumed that was going to be the first day that the system was available in the parks, so early bookings would commence on the 17th. Could be wrong there though.

Andre
Yes, bookings for the new system start on the 24th. It appears Disney IT was not capable of running both systems at the same time (Genie+ and LLMP), so couldn't have people using the parks that day have access to Genie+ and those arriving within a week have access to LLMP, so everything is switching over on the 24th. It will be mayhem.

Because speculation is what we do best!

What do you folks think the availability will be like for first tier attractions after the initial pre-booking one is redeemed?

I will be disappointed if all that can be expected is the initial Tier 1. I'm used to being able to ride BTMR, Space Mountain, Peter Pan, Jungle Cruise, etc all in one day under the Genie+ system.

I'd be interested in particular to hear the past experiences with FastPass in this regard, as it may be somewhat of a predictor of what we can expect.

I don’t believe MK had tiers previously. And the “single” LL options (like Mine Train) were part of the pool. So you could pre-select any 3 rides on the list in MK under the old system before Genie+.

My speculation: There will be drops throughout the day as there used to be. People who know how the system works and are willing to pound the app will get more Tier 1s.

What do you folks think the availability will be like for first tier attractions after the initial pre-booking one is redeemed?

I will be disappointed if all that can be expected is the initial Tier 1. I'm used to being able to ride BTMR, Space Mountain, Peter Pan, Jungle Cruise, etc all in one day under the Genie+ system.

I'd be interested in particular to hear the past experiences with FastPass in this regard, as it may be somewhat of a predictor of what we can expect.
I was a big fan of FP+ when we visited in Sept 2019 - a combination of being to lock in our fave rides during a typically quieter time meant we had no worries about missing out on anything.
However, it really is a bummer to see the MK tiers - last time we were able to book FPs for Splash, Space, and Big Thunder all on the one day, and Jungle Cruise, Buzz Lightyear & 7 Dwarves on the second day.

My speculation: There will be drops throughout the day as there used to be. People who know how the system works and are willing to pound the app will get more Tier 1s.
That’s my guess too. I would even wager there being a fraction released 7, 3 and day-of for the attractions. Not an equal amount, but probably some.

I bet this helps them with their forecasting too since they got rid of most park reservations. They can kind of assess their crowd levels based on who’s prebooking what, where.

Andre
I called the passholder helpdesk and they confirmed that the 24th is the first day it is available for purchase. However, even they do not know what time on that day it’ll be available. Words could go live at midnight on the 24th or anytime thereafter… I’m happy about the changes, but they could at least have a fully fleshed out plan prior to the announcement of the implementation.

It's been awhile, so my memories may be a bit off, but I remember being able to "fiddle faddle" with the times and keep refreshing to get new drops with FP+. We were worried we wouldn't be able to figure Genie+ out, and we did, so I feel sure that this will end up being the same. My hope is new drops happen, even for the Tier 1 rides, throughout the day, and if you're willing and able to work the system, it'll all turn out to be a net positive.

I called the passholder helpdesk and they confirmed that the 24th is the first day it is available for purchase. However, even they do not know what time on that day it’ll be available. Words could go live at midnight on the 24th or anytime thereafter… I’m happy about the changes, but they could at least have a fully fleshed out plan prior to the announcement of the implementation.
The Disneyworld.com website says: "Guests can purchase Lightning Lane passes for days they have valid theme park admission* starting at 7:00 AM Eastern Time on their first day of eligibility." I guess they could open it up earlier, but that is at least the official starting time.

1719499101458.png

This is the question I have.

I'll speculate:
  • Under both, FP+ and G+, you could refresh and get more availability. But under FP+ more times and attractions would pop-up with refresh. I speculate that it was due to people simply grabbing FP+ because there was no downside to grabbing them (i.e., there was no cost) and if they saw something else they wanted to do, they would modify and it would drop the previous selection. It seemed to me that I was much less successful in getting times to pop up for G+, and I speculate this is due to the fact that since you were paying for it, you would not let it go unless there was a really good reason.
  • There were no Tier 1 at MK, which means it was really hard to get 7DMT and kind of impossible to get without a long onsite stay. But, we had no problem getting all 3 Space, BTMRR and Splash for early in the day, even with short onsite stays (9:10, 10:15 and 11:15 or something like that), and we loved those more than 7DMT, so that was great. Because of the sheer number of attractions at MK, it was easy to get good rides, even later. I believe this will still hold. I don't think enough people will pay for this service to fill all the availability for all the rides they've put into Tier 1.
  • DHS also has a lot of attractions, and has the potential for some additional Tier 1.
  • Epcot has always been tough because it doesn't have a lot of attractions and most Tier 2 are meh (I don't even need to do Mission Space again). I believe this will still hold. I think you will get 1 Tier 1 (either Remy, Frozen, or Test Track), and few will pick Soarin, so you could possibly get Soarin for later and that will pretty much be it.
  • AK doesn't have tiers, which is a good call.

Alas I think this won’t stop them from visiting Disney. So, as wrong as it feels it might have been a fine operational choice.

Real Q- to those int’l guests who’ve already assembled the dough to go to WDW are you going to bail over this?
No, we will still go.

Coming down from Canada, we will be staying for ~4 weeks mid July to mid August. I tried Genie+ once and it didn’t work well, so I currently don’t plan to buy either Genie+ or this new system (what are we calling it? MPLL? FP++?) I figure we will only venture out when it’s slightly less sizzling outside, maybe spend 2-3 hours a day at the parks in the evenings, and will take advantage of deluxe evening hours for MK and Epcot. Plus a Halloween party. With 4 weeks, I don’t need a lightning lane service to be completely sick of every ride at every park by the time the trip ends. 😂

This is the question I have.

I'll speculate:
  • Under both, FP+ and G+, you could refresh and get more availability. But under FP+ more times and attractions would pop-up with refresh. I speculate that it was due to people simply grabbing FP+ because there was no downside to grabbing them (i.e., there was no cost) and if they saw something else they wanted to do, they would modify and it would drop the previous selection. It seemed to me that I was much less successful in getting times to pop up for G+, and I speculate this is due to the fact that since you were paying for it, you would not let it go unless there was a really good reason.
  • There were no Tier 1 at MK, which means it was really hard to get 7DMT and kind of impossible to get without a long onsite stay. But, we had no problem getting all 3 Space, BTMRR and Splash for early in the day, even with short onsite stays (9:10, 10:15 and 11:15 or something like that), and we loved those more than 7DMT, so that was great. Because of the sheer number of attractions at MK, it was easy to get good rides, even later. I believe this will still hold. I don't think enough people will pay for this service to fill all the availability for all the rides they've put into Tier 1.
  • DHS also has a lot of attractions, and has the potential for some additional Tier 1.
  • Epcot has always been tough because it doesn't have a lot of attractions and most Tier 2 are meh (I don't even need to do Mission Space again). I believe this will still hold. I think you will get 1 Tier 1 (either Remy, Frozen, or Test Track), and few will pick Soarin, so you could possibly get Soarin for later and that will pretty much be it.
  • AK doesn't have tiers, which is a good call.
Thanks for that well-reasoned answer!

I'll be fine if there are 1 or 2 additional tier 1's available after the pre-booked one. Including 2 LL single passes and the initial pre-booked tier 1, that would be 4 to 5 tier 1 attractions per day.

I'm concerned with the tiers as well and have a lot of questions. With Genie+ we were able to ride ALL the headliners the park offered in a day. This does not seem like a possibility now (without waiting in the standard line). Genie+ was a cost, but a worthy one (for us). Every ride that offered LL, we used it. We got, what we felt, a GREAT value. We used the system the way it was intended to be used and paid for it. We paid to not have to wait in lines.

I know personally we go during a slower time (August), but that combined with Genie+ essentially had us walking on many rides, or never more than a ten minute wait.

1. Do we know yet what exactly the tiers are and what rides are included in them? (I'm not seeing a lot of the character meets on the lists floating around - Grotto Ariel, Princess Fairytale Hall, etc.).

2. Booking one tier 1 and two, tier 2's in advance feels pointless. For what rides I'm thinking the tier 2's are, well, those rides ALWAYS were readily available day of and 95% of them for a time with an immediate scan in or within 15 minutes. Booking these so far in advance serves no purpose.

Now, tell me I can book TWO "tier 1's" in advance, and then the third pre-book a tier 2, fine. I can see myself then scanning into the first booking early on in the day, stacking the 2 others for later, and using one throughout the day and/or letting 2 hours pass to book a new one while I met some characters or ate at a nice restaurant and stacked for later. Then we're talking!

Actually, I felt with Genie+, with the 2 hour rule, it actually had us spending more to eat at a nicer restaurant. We got to either meet characters, take a bit longer of a break. It was a very relaxing day, and even though we were spending more on food, it was so pleasant and we didn't mind. Now we will be more inclined to eat quickly so we can scan in and book the next ride.

Also, to call Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, etc, a tier 1?? By later on in the day, after that morning rush, at least when we go in August, the times always evened out. By later on they'd be consistently readily available to hop on within 15 minutes or so. I feel like tiering them will create a different experience, and with people booking SO far out instead of day of, a lot of mixed availability come day of. Real time will turn into a confusing mess. There's also the risk of an attraction selling out FAR in advance (one that likely may not have under Genie+) because of all the pre-booking. People will then change their minds on things FAR more day (understandably, since it was booked not in real time), so if I want to hope something becomes available I need to be glued to my phone, and then also possibly change one of my reservations to grab what may randomly become available. How does that solve anything? We were tied to our phones FAR less on Genie+ then we ever were with FP+. This seems opposite.

3. I'm reading you pre-book "3" (again, kind of silly as the other 2 options were not hard to get).

So you scan into your first, then you can book another one? Does that mean the 2 hour rule is gone for sure? That was crucial to stacking.

Will they let you use one, book one continually? Or will they make you wait to use up the other 2 before you can book a 5th and 6th?

I'm confused about the rules for this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest