Photo Sharing: Ultra Wide Angle

8417680211_76394507b1_o.jpg

Alright folks, I've been looking through this thread over the past 2 days and am really feeling the urge to take the UWA plunge. So WWYD?

Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 $584.79 (price for the refurbished lens)
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 $599

I have a Canon T3i and I won't buy the Canon lens brand new at $800+ (yikes!).

Right now I'm leaning toward the Tokina (comes with a hood, brand new and faster, and better warranty at 3 years vs. 90 days for the Canon refurb). Thoughts?

I have the kit lens (18-55), the 50mm f/1.8 prime lens and the 55-250mm, so this will be my first UWA, possibly first 3rd party lens and definitely my most expensive lens to date. My head is spinning after reading so many reviews...

Thanks! :wave:

I own The Tokina 11-16mm and I love it. Super sharp and very little distortion. For the money it is an awesome lens. It is my favorite lens by far. And I own some pretty expensive glass. But this little work horse is just fun to use and the image quality is stunning. All of my wide angle shots in this thread were shot with the Tokina.

I had the Tokina. I sold it and bought the Canon. I really wanted that extra bit of range on the Canon. I found that when I put the Tokina on my camera, it was mostly for a specific shot, then felt the need to switch back to my regular lens right away. If I want to grab a shot of my daughter, there's just too much distortion at 16. I thought if I had that little bit of extra range, I might not feel the need to swap lenses again so soon.

Really? I now find that I miss the 2.8 of the Tokina enough that I'm considering sellilng the Canon and buying the Tokina back again. I find myself wanting that wide angle indoors an awful lot, and faster is better in that circumstance.

Bottom line is that they are both pretty awesome lenses though. So just pick one and go for it.

I own The Tokina 11-16mm and I love it. Super sharp and very little distortion. For the money it is an awesome lens. It is my favorite lens by far. And I own some pretty expensive glass. But this little work horse is just fun to use and the image quality is stunning. All of my wide angle shots in this thread were shot with the Tokina.
Thanks! I'm sure I'll go back through this thread over and over and I'll be sure to look for your pictures. :) At some point I know I need to stop reading reviews and just make a decision, because my brain feels like mush!
I had the Tokina. I sold it and bought the Canon. I really wanted that extra bit of range on the Canon. I found that when I put the Tokina on my camera, it was mostly for a specific shot, then felt the need to switch back to my regular lens right away. If I want to grab a shot of my daughter, there's just too much distortion at 16. I thought if I had that little bit of extra range, I might not feel the need to swap lenses again so soon.

Really? I now find that I miss the 2.8 of the Tokina enough that I'm considering sellilng the Canon and buying the Tokina back again. I find myself wanting that wide angle indoors an awful lot, and faster is better in that circumstance.

Bottom line is that they are both pretty awesome lenses though. So just pick one and go for it.
Thanks for your reply! you bring up 2 big points I'm considering. I want to feel like I can use this lens for a lot of shots...hmm. That f/2.8 is really tempting though, and I'd hate to buy either lens and then wish I had the other. But I have read great things about both.

I am really getting into "over-thinking it" territory over here...:headache:

Thanks for your reply! you bring up 2 big points I'm considering. I want to feel like I can use this lens for a lot of shots...hmm. That f/2.8 is really tempting though, and I'd hate to buy either lens and then wish I had the other. But I have read great things about both.

I am really getting into "over-thinking it" territory over here...:headache:

Just go into it knowing that no matter which direction you go, there will be times you wish you had the other. Accept their limitations, but embrace their strengths. At least you know the IQ on each is really quite good.

Maybe flip a coin? :lmao:

I will also add that I got almost full retail for the Tokina after having it for a year. I think either lens will hold its value very well.

I have a question about the Tokina 11-16, for anyone with it.

I own that one; my brother has the Tokina 12-24. We were out the other night and both used various lenses but what I did notice in a situation where we were both using Tokina was that the flare on mine (it was at night) was dreadful, whereas he had very little, if any. I do love the lens but it was a dang nuisance and I eventually swapped for another lens to finish shooting at that spot.

I have a question about the Tokina 11-16, for anyone with it.

I own that one; my brother has the Tokina 12-24. We were out the other night and both used various lenses but what I did notice in a situation where we were both using Tokina was that the flare on mine (it was at night) was dreadful, whereas he had very little, if any. I do love the lens but it was a dang nuisance and I eventually swapped for another lens to finish shooting at that spot.

Was there a filter on it? Flare, especially at night, is what finally got me to ditch my filters.

Was there a filter on it? Flare, especially at night, is what finally got me to ditch my filters.

No that was the thing - I also ditched the filters about a hear ago except special purpose ones, but didn't even have the ND filter on. Although I used it on the other lens and had no issues with it. I was just curious as I thought my brother had the same lens, but then discovered that his was a different version. Very curious, lol

No that was the thing - I also ditched the filters about a hear ago except special purpose ones, but didn't even have the ND filter on. Although I used it on the other lens and had no issues with it. I was just curious as I thought my brother had the same lens, but then discovered that his was a different version. Very curious, lol

That is odd. I will say I never had problems with flare on the copy I had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter